Pushed like fuck in the books, being touted as a legitimate threat

>Pushed like fuck in the books, being touted as a legitimate threat
>Most over villain on Sup Forums
>Most anticipated DLC character in a AAA video game title
>Most anticipated villain in the DCCU

When did Black Manta's Harley Quinn-tier meteoric rise to popularity start? What caused it? Have villains become so convoluted in their motives that Black Manta is this breath of fresh air simply because of how simple his hatred for Aquaman is?

People hate Aquaman because he's a shit character and can identify with Manta's goals.

His simple design, with its inhumanly large, red eyes standing in stark contrast to the rest of his suit, is menacing in a way most other villains fail to reach.

>Seeded in cartoons.
>His appearances ain't bad.
>Meme factor makes him even more popular on the Internet.

You could say it's a long-winded marketing campaign, starting from DCAU, to BBATB, to YJ, to WB marketing on the Internet. It's not really a meteoric rise, just one that's catching up now.

>People hate Aquaman because he's a shit character
b8

He wasn't even in the DCAU, unless you count "Devil Ray"

He is shit. If he was a real person I'd murder his son too.

Well, yes, I do count "Devil Ray", since it was a last-minute change due to WB's silly rules.

He wasn't forced onto the market like Quinn was. They just wrote him as a major threat to Aquaman and let the passage of time whittle away Seth McFarlane and Seth Green's awful
>Aquaman's a pussy
"jokes"

Indeed

He is actually more interesting than the actual hero

Comic fans identify with his autism.

Lord Buckethead

>black
>bad guy
WTF I HATE DC NOW REEEEEEEE

His sheer simplicity makes him fun, his effectiveness makes him legit, and he's been consistently well written so that his best moments are constantly brought up as he's used more. He's a rock rolling down the hill into the ocean with the sole purpose to crush Aquaman.

Not only is he black, but skin color aside he's one of the best characters written in the DCCU

So much so, that when some dipshit decides to use him as a jobber it's completely unbelievable

Yes. It's nice having an unrepentant, uncomplicated super villain out there and I love that every attempt to "deepen" his character ends up just being a trick to fuck with Aquaman.

Is right that he has a really clean, simple design too. And who doesn't love a pirate?

No one cares about Meme Manta though, literally every other DLC character is bigger news.

He's autistic rage personified and that's why people love him.

There's no real deep meaning behind anything he does other than he just really fucking hates Aquaman.

its just something that's steadily accumulated since his inception
though I guess a renewed emphasis on him could have been provoked by the 'aquaman is silly and useless' meme

I will never not post this in a Manta thread.

He's such a cunt.
I love him so much.

Reminder that Batman shot Devil Ray and killed him

Have they confirmed if Manta is the main villian of the movie or is it Orm? I know they're both in it

Hoping for manta

I think they confirmed that Orm will be ruler of Atlantis, and not a villain in the first film.

So, get ready for Black Manta baby.

>Hey Arthur, remember when I killed your kid?

I fucking love him.

OK, Sup Forums, you've convinced me how great Black Manta is, now can we have a list of recommended issues, or some Black Manta storytimes?

Manta is such an unrealistic and unbelievable character. I mean, a black man who can swim? I just can't suspend my disbelief for something THAT ridiculous.

Manta is an autist (or former autist) who is bitter and violent about incredibly petty things. Is it any wonder most of Sup Forums loves and identifies with him?

The New Aquaman:Rebirth is great.

You know there better Wars to quit than killing everyone in the store

Nice art. Pity that they hired that Serbian pedo.

>When you can explode a store with the sheer hatred in your body by looking at it

I'm hoping that instead of just killing the villain at the end of the movie like every superhero movie does these days, Black Manta somehow survives and has roles in the sequel(s).

Oh shit another Bong user

>That last panel

Honestly? His costume is cool.

>"boy I hope this is the autistic screeching edit"
>it is
based user

They aren't gonna kill Manta off because they're going to use him for the Suicide Squad sequel

> this pic isn't an edit
Why didn't they let Tony Bedard write it

>What caused it?
Like Joker, but less overexposed:
Self-styled nemesis
Insane motive
Unknown identity

Not like Joker:
Actual black villain where his race doesn't ONCE factor into his persona or attempt to make us sympathize with him

Or maybe he shows up in The Legion Of Doom.

He IS the Legion of Doom, haven't you seen their headquarters

I don't think Black Manta is as popular as you made him to be since I don't see much love for him outside of Sup Forums.

Fuck off, Manta.

He's definitely the most anticipated DLC character in Injustice 2

>Actual black villain where his race doesn't ONCE factor into his persona
Nigga, you think his name is Black Manta for his suit?

In an age where every villain has to have complex and sympathetic motivations to prove that there's no such thing as true evil in the world, there's something delightfully endearing about a guy who fights the hero because he just really, really, really doesn't like him.

He uses the race card for villainy though. He doesn't give a fuck about black power or how equipping an army of mooks with suits of armor that let you go toe to toe with aquaman under water would let him conquer the world faster than wakanda let's africa starve.

It's just one more way to fuck with Aquaman

>t. Black Manta

To who? And wasn't Red Hood the most requested which automatically make him the most anticipated?

I think they have been working over the last decade to slowly make aquaman more popular.

I do in fact count devil ray.

This isn't true, though.

No one actually gave a fuck about Red Hood once Manta was confirmed

Manta is the best.

>most requested character by far
>one of the most played characters online
Yeah, sure no one does.

Man, I wasn't aware that Manta has delusional fans.

>>one of the most played characters online

Prove this because I haven't seen a fucking Red Hood player in almost a month

Sure, dude. No one plays Red Hood anymore which is why he got a 72 hours multiverse event last week which was literally voted by fans. Maybe they just mistook him for Manta.

You meant the 72 hour multiverse last week that was a between him and Superman, which Superman won?

This is wonderful

So you aren't only delusional, but a lier too.

*liar

Superman didn't win against Red Hood. He won against Green Lantern and Grodd (I think).

So who did he go against? Fucking Cheetah? Guarantee you no one cares about Red Hood anymore

Do casuals even know who Black manta is?

There's just something really charming about a character whose motivation is autistic hatred for a superhero.

>it's a Sup Forums pretends a meme character is legitimately popular episode
Let me guess, OP is the same guy who keeps making those Killer Frost is a household name threads.

Man, how the hell am i supposed to get Starfire in the game? I play it on PS4 and it's not letting me buy her, do i seriously have to upgrade to the whatever edition just to play her?

This. Where did the notion that he is "so popular" nowdays come from anyway?

I still believe that the pause was more a reaction to Jackson saying that his favorite band was fucking A Tribe Called Quest.

Take out the "we're all just meat" and it's the best fucking response to someone coming out I've ever seen

Wait a week or pay for the ultimate edition. She only came out on the 8th for owners of the ultimate edition

Which you coulda got for $72 on Amazon pre-release

Ah righto, i didn't know i'd have to wait a week. This is the first dlc character i've given a shit about so i had no idea how it works.

As soon as he gets embraced by the masses (being it for his evilness or by "other factors") Sup Forums will abandon ship like an English soldier in Dunkirk (now playing in a cinema next to you)

You can play her free trial Multiverse if you're really eager,

This. Look at CO's favorite characters, they are all some form of autism, nerd wish fulfillment, and faux-intelligence:

Evil Reed
Doom
Manta
Grant Morrison

Punisher?

>CO
>not Sup Forums

Jacksonville is so deep at receiver the best receiver in college football last year is running with the 3rd stringers right now

Let that sink in

Oops thoguht this was the Jags/Pats game thread

Red Hood was championed by NRS's fanbase in the same way Spawn is, where they vote based off appearance.
NRS's fanboys dictate the characters. People want to see a Watchmen character or Spawn over Manta, even if Manta is the better character for a fighting game.

>not waiting for the real ultimate edition in a year where you'll get all the DLC included for $30
Do you even WB Games?

>vote based off appearance
The limit which people go to prove that no one cares about Red Hood is truly something astounding.

>Smug old man
He knew exactly what he was doing. I bet he was the one who hired Manta in first place

Reminder Manta's autism was literally cured (or he just faked having it) and he was still an asshole after.

>The Legion Of Doom

>implying we'll ever get an actual live-action Legion of Doom

Fucking shame too, I'd love to see that in a future JL movie.

>spending $72 on a video game

I really want to play I2 so badly but I'm a poorfag for one, and two, I feel like I'd be denying myself so much of the game by buying it now and not buying the season pass so I can get all of the DLC characters. But by the time I buy it when the GotY Edition is out, everyone will have moved on, won't they?

Modern fucking gaming, I swear. I just want to play as my boys Darkseid, Red Hood, and Black Manta when he comes out.

>Spending $72 on a $90 MSRP game

>believing the game is worth $90 in the first place

Manta playing Jordon when?

>believing teh game and all the DLC isn't worth $72

It's not. The game isn't all that good, and there's no reason the DLC should be so expensive - and especially not when it was announced before the game even came out (a terrible practice).

Nice opinions but a large majority of people disagree with you which is why it was the best selling game of the last quarter