Disney licensing out Marvel Comic books

Can we talk about this?
>thekingdominsider.com/will-disney-stop-publishing-marvel-comic-books/
If this is true, what does it mean for the comic book industry? I find it hard to believe that something as big as Marvel collapsing wont have lasting effects on the industry. What does it mean for Marvel characters themselves? Could this be a result of Marvel fucking up their books so much?

This entire article is speculative clickbait meant to ponder upon the conditions that would lead Disney to end in-house publication of Marvel Comics. There is no actual evidence of this being the case, nor is there any evidence suggesting that this would ever happen. OP is a shill and a shyster.

>yfw this happens and they license them to DC

They did the same to Power Rangers because it didn't make them enough money. Can you imagine something as small as Marvel Comics?

>In fact, it may have already begun, as it was announced that IDW Publishing will start producing Star Wars Comics, and Archie will publish digest comics based on Marvel superheroes.

They already started man.

>IDW Publishing will start producing Star Wars Comics
WHAT

They dropped Power Rangers because they never wanted it in the first place and found it too violent.

Kid-friendly Star Wars comics, unlike Marvel's. Funny how the article doesn't note that.

At first glance I'd love this. But at second? This seems even more terrifying. Competition brings out better products. If DC owned Marvel it's game over for the other companies as there would be no more power struggle and both books would suck. Marvel needs to go to a company that's well known, but still shy from being considered a big deal. They also need to have good relations with other companies, including DC.

>>Blaming white males again
Ugh.

>a company that's well known, but still shy from being considered a big deal
Image.

And you think they want to produce comic books? The industry is seen as a joke compared to movie and television. It's why they refer to the movies as "super hero movies" instead of "comic book movies", because everyone sees it as childish.

Aw, I wanted Barber to write SW.

This is what I was thinking. Either them or IDW. The latter is more likely considering the Star Wars thing.

>More people are going to watch ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ than will have ever read the Infinity Gauntlet comics
;_;

Disney would never approve of Image; too liberal. It's IDW or Dark Horse.

Well, he still could, just don't expect it to be the meatiest or most complex of comics.

Of course, he's a freelancer now, so Marvel could also hire him to write SW comics for them if they wanted to.

>Could this be a result of Marvel fucking up their books so much?

no doubt in my mind that it's exactly that if this is true.

disney never bought marvel for the comics anyway so unless they're bleeding that much money from disney i can see them wanting to shut them down.

>mfw
i think quesada and the rest of the old guard at marvel would kill themselves if it did happen

i wouldn't worry too much. if marvel was taken out of the equation either image or IDW would take their place

You misspelled "Valiant."

Well that's one way of getting Ike out of the company.

Or--snicker--Boom Studios.

That was all announced months ago. Why the fuck are people panicking and going "MARVEL IS DOOMED!" now?

>Dark Horse Marvel.
Best outcome in my opinion.

Why doesn't Disney sell Marvels comics at their stores?

Please someone tell me. It seems so logical to do.

I know they sell them at their parks.

honestly if disney actually cared about anything other than the movies from marvel they would've forced ike out completely years ago.

>DC brings back the marriage
>makes Mayday canon to 616
>Mayday hangs out with Jon and Damian
>Quessada, Bendis and Slott commit simultanious sudoku on livestream
am i finally out of the bad timeline

Cuz some fat bitch mother from Arizona might buy one, see the blood and/or skimpy outfits, and sue them.

Because Disney doesn't care about the comics. If it was up to them they'd erase the comics from every account so that people would associate the characters with Disney themselves. Comics are seen as a joke to everyone because of how inexesable and unprofitable they are. Which is a shame.

they also sell them at Universal

If Disney bled money because of Marlel wouldn't they just do a purge and put in a new staff?

>>Comics are failing
>>"It must be because minorities and women can't relate to white guys!'
Jesus fucking Christ, comics suck now because the current Marvel writers are too incompetent to tell a story on their own!

>More people want to laugh at quippy jokes then reading a well meaning story packed with drama.
It honestly pains me.

Have you guys completely forgotten that Disney and Warner are competitors? This is like believing Disney could license Mickey out to Warner Animation.

It could happen.
Remember Roger Rabbit?

Disny don't care about comics. Pic related.,

>cameos for one movie with a bunch of stipulations attached to them
>anything like licensing your IPs out to your competitor to use on a regular basis
It couldn't happen, and I have no idea why you'd think the two situations are anything alike.

Dude, are you aware of the fucking conditions for that? The characters had to have the same amount of dialogue down to the number of letters each of them had in their words. They had to be on screen for the same number of frames. There's no way an arrangement like that would be possible for comics.

Watching Marvel slowly decay after Civil War is like watching a loved one die of cancer. It's sad.

>Image created because writers and artist didnt want to be Marvels bitchbois
>becomes Marvels bitchboi in the future anyway
Todd Mcfarlanes suicide note when

What about Lego Avengers? Or Universal Studios? I don't think Disney cares so long as they get a check at the end of the day.

i was just pointing out a hypothetical reaction to the whole thing.

realistically speaking it would go to IDW since they seen like the go to for licensed books especially hasbro.

More like Marvel becomes their bitch. It's revenge rape.

Or maybe because the term "comic book movie" is complete nonsense.

Universal Studios is rumoured to be closing down their super hero island. As for the Lego Avengers games, I'm sure the inclusion of the Lego company is what makes that a sweeter deal.

I thought it was because Disney wanted to make a animated Power Rangers and they kept saying no?

They can't force him out. He's one of the largest Disney stockholders now with the sale.

>Universal Studios is rumoured to be closing down their super hero island
This is far from true. Disney struck a deal with Universal recently allowing them to expand on super hero island actually. Plans of a new Iron Man ride already surfaced.

Why not hire a hitman? It's not like Disney couldn't afford one.

>Slott
He would be the first to jump back on DC's ship.

I don't think Hitmen are around anymore. We haven't had a major assassination in forever.

All right then, but it's still just a completely different situation than the Warner, Disney one. These are companies that have been in direct competition for decades, whereas Universal at least had some prior basis upon which to build a relationship.

>If Disney bled money because of Marlel wouldn't they just do a purge and put in a new staff?
It's actually far easier just to close down Marvel and license the rights to everything instead. They wouldn't have to pay employees, wouldn't have to pay production costs, etc. All they do is take money for the license and let the guys buying the license make toys, comics, etc. and essentially advertise for them. Marvel would be nothing but a movie studio and a corporate office that handles licensing rights. Which would actually be ideal for Disney.

You spelled Boring as Fuck wrong.
Weird.

If Marvel goes to IDW does that mean Transformers, Micronaughts, and Rom will go back to being in continuity?

>It's a pure speculation article
>Nothing in it says Disney is doing anything
>Just says Disney could do all these things

A loved one who suddenly starts molesting you in the night, maybe.

The Hasbro and Marvel licenses are completely separate, so no.

I think everyone can read, user, but thanks for the spark notes, well done!

Of course it's all speculation retard. But the very fact that Disney /is/ selling properties doesn't bode well for the comics since it's obviously the weakest link.

Can we at least expect crossovers? IDW loves those.

HAHAHAHAHHA the SW titles are the majority of non-event Marvel books that regularly sell well (for Marvel). I don't believe this for a second until I research it further- but if it WERE true God that'd be fucking hilarious.

What about IDW Star Wars? Marvel SW outsells almost every in-house title that isn't an event or a Number 1.

>Which would actually be ideal for Disney.

Wasn't this what Ike originally wanted?

>The joke everyone muttered was that, if Ike Perlmutter had his way, Marvel would consist of one guy in an office with a phone, licensing the characters. Why waste money on anything else?

Everyone in thread is talking about Disney selling off Marvel as a whole. But what if they start selling characters individually? We may never see Spider-Man teaming up with Wolverine again.

See It's just SW comics for kids, because Marvel has no interest in publishing comics for kids anymore. We've known about this for months.

>He's one of the largest Disney stockholders now with the sale.
>one of
it's irrelevant. if they were able to force him out of the movies they're able to force him out entirely.

and if they really can't they could've always shoved him off into a corner away from the big decisions as a "promotion" and forget about him

Brevoort can kiss DC's ass when it suits him.

>every time you fix him somebody comes along afterwards and breaks him again.
Funnily enough, Tom strikes me as one of the asshats who supported OMD.

>it's irrelevant. if they were able to force him out of the movies they're able to force him out entirely.
They didn't force him out of the movies. Marvel Studios was part of the Marvel proper. They moves Marvel Studios out of Marvel proper and into Disney proper. They can't simply remove him from Marvel proper without probably a big payout or some such.

Star Wars isn't a core Marvel product. Which core Marvel property has Disney sold? Spider-Man? Fantastic Four? X-Men? Avengers?

>ke Perlmutter had his way, Marvel would consist of one guy in an office with a phone, licensing the characters

given that marvel's biggest strength over DC was marketing & licensing their characters. ike technically got what he wanted ages ago.

Doesn't matter whether or not. The bottom line is that weak links are being cut at Disney. We saw it with Power Rangers and that one Japanese studio they owned. It's obvious they don't see the comic industry as a profitable one so logically it comes across as one of the ones on the chopping block. In fact, the only reason why they bought Marvel in the first place is because George Lucas wouldn't sell Star Wars to them. Guess what they have now?

>MFW DC again just waits out Marvel to implode from greed like in the 90s.

going by what you said they could by just slowly moving everything away from marvel proper to disney proper till marvel proper is just a guy in an office.

>Kelly was right AGAIN!

>going by what you said they could by just slowly moving everything away from marvel proper to disney proper till marvel proper is just a guy in an office.
Like what said, the comic, television, etc. parts don't make enough for them to bother moving the from Ike. It's easier for them to just shut it down and license the rights so other companies can do it for them.

You know, this comment had me thinking...

This is the same Disney that closed down Playdom and fired their 200 employees when they closed down Avengers Alliance, a game that was once the highest played Facebook game ever. When that game was ending, there was an air of flaws and rushed problems. Hell, the forums closed down and they never opened again.

Flash forward to current Marvel. What do they have after Secret Empire? Even Venomverse is being rushed in 1.5 months with 4 issues in one month and one in the next. There doesn't seem to be any stories being hyped up and everything seem to be going on their current bland course. What if Disney is closing down the comics division and they are just riding it out?

Nah. Short version: Disney bought Fox Family, looking for a place to dump ABC reruns and cheap dramas. They got the entire Saban and Fox Kids library as part of a package deal.

At first Disney didn't really care, mainly since Bandai kept it going and they stayed pretty hands off. Eventually Disney got fed up with spending on the money, so they tried to make a cheaper animated one. No go. Then they thought it was too violent, so they tried to force Toei to make it less intense, even trying to get creative control. That REALLY pissed Japan off (and now you know why Shinkenger/Samurai was so Japanese-heavy: sort of a fuck you to Disney). Finally Disney just said "fuck it" and cancelled the show. Bandai begged and pleaded to have SOMETHING they could sell toys of, so they slapped together the "reversioning" of MMPR season 1.

Then Saban swooped in and bought the rights back. The end.

It would make sense why DC is going to suddenly hire Marvel writers. Hell, it even makes sense with legacy numbers coming back so they can end with one last story or something.

My concern is that /if/ they sell the rights, do they go individual IPs or Marvel as a whole. And if individual, what does that mean for continuity? Like, say DC buys Spider-Man. Will he continue to live in 616, even though they aren't allowed to reference the rest of the universe? Or will they zap him into the DC universe somehow?

I want Jim Shooter as the editor for that new Marvel.

I think it's just gonna be reprints in the end, user.

Which tells me you don't really know that much about Shooter. There is reason no one wants him, user. Even 90's Valiant gave him the boot.

Pretty sure a Warner company makes the Lego Marvel games.

Yes.

Because the Lego company hires them to.

A History of Violence is a "comic book movie." Cape movies are a subset of comic book movies so deserve their own label.

I always like to throw "Road to Perdition" out there instead of "A History of Violence" because I feel like it's the better GN/comicbook movie.

It's very close to "Lone Wolf and Cub though

...now I'm starting to legit get worried. Like, SDCC, Marvel had nothing to really announce at all in the way of comics. There is no big book after Secret Empire outside "Marvel Legacy". Marvel usually at least has some BIG book. Even the Avengers lineup is fucking pathetic right now!

Shit, we might actually be seeing the end of Marvel comics!

>Flash forward to current Marvel. What do they have after Secret Empire? Even Venomverse is being rushed in 1.5 months with 4 issues in one month and one in the next. There doesn't seem to be any stories being hyped up and everything seem to be going on their current bland course. What if Disney is closing down the comics division and they are just riding it out?

Wasn't it revealed they're gonna do a re-launch after Legacy? With IW coming out you bet they're gonna shit out a giantmega event with Thanos.

Even so, you'd figure Marvel would at least push a big seller between now and then, and there's nothing.

>no lady liberty
This looks fake imo

>people complain that Marvel does event after event
>Marvel says they won't do anymore for a year or so
>start crying that no event after Legacy must mean it's the end of Marvel
Alarmist retards.

Legacy and Generations WERE supposed to be the big sellers. Same with Blunder Empire.

But even when there aren't events, they at least shake things up. A massive Avengers lineup of A-Listers! Fucking Uncanny X-Force! Some book to get the hype going again, but there is literally nothing they are offering. I'm not saying "Do another event", but instead Marvel is doing fucking nothing at all! Name one story they presented for Legacy that looks like the writers are giving a shit.
Generations is so mundane, it fucking hurts!

>JLA/Avengers sequel by Johns

not sure if want

If competition brings out better products then why do most of Marvel's books suck so much shit comparatively to when both companies were on better terms?

What skimpy outfits? Nu-Marvel barely has any.

Easy, because Marvel doesn't view DC as a competitor. They think no matter what they do Disney will have their backs and prevent them from crashing. So they let themselves get lazy.