Why do people like this show?

Is there any legitimate defense of this show?

>There's only 4 likable characters (a few townies are okay)
[Pic related]

>The plot is completely retarded
Nothing actually happens in this show, literally nothing changes, the planet gets invaded by homeworld gems and nothing happens except for the gems getting some new sidekicks.
Is the world affected by this? No. Is there any damage done to the world? No. Do any of the characters care? No. Did someone get hurt? Not really.

>The character arcs are absolutely retarded
Pearl's entire transition over the story was to have more focus placed on her ridiculous obsession with Rose that added nothing to the show, then got over it but not really.
Amethyst became less of the fun (female)bro character and just turned into a cunt who torments someone who was supposed to be her friend, and becomes a drain on the team over some emotional conflict that the show never even suggested she had before.
Garnet does fuckign nothing, even when her future vision should have given the ability to, such as stopping Greg from getting kidnapped, but Ruby and Saphire have the absolute most annoying episodes because they are nothing but a nuisance when she un-fuses.
Peridot and Lapis compared to the powerful threats they were introduced as ended up have completely asspull 'redemption arcs' but at least they actually have likable personalities.

>Completely fails at creating even a slightly tense situation
Maybe in early season 1 the show did a better job with this, in episodes like cat fingers, but in any attempts made recently it shits the bed everytime, a good example of this is the recent Lars "death" scene, where the impact seems minuscule, he doesn't look even mildly hurt, he wasn't a character I think anyone even cared about prior to this event, and his demise doesn't even seem to last long enough to even have an impact, even the first time seeing it, the manner in which he was revived seems incredibly contrived.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sclzb5mWhbg
youtube.com/watch?v=vhw2qtZGsuc
youtube.com/watch?v=1LsNmHNQSWY
youtube.com/watch?v=oNcXFlcBJy4
youtube.com/watch?v=aDuLP-ImfgM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

because its competition is teen titan go and season 156 of adventure time

cont.

Lar's revival was the most disappointing explanation for Rose's lion, it's just... a lion, it's incredibly boring for what seemed like a really interesting side character(pet). The entire scenario was a poorly veiled excuse to have Steven witness the trial and reveal a ridiculous plot twist that Rose didn't kill Pink Diamond without having Steven actually have to escape by any actual skill or ability of his own.

>Even it's gay shit isn't great
There are like a million better subtle homo stories out there that actually feel like they're telling a decent story.

>The animation is average
With the exception of a few scenes most of the animation is bog standard for modern cartoons and doesn't do anything special, the action (again with the exception of maybe one scene) isn't that good

>The music
The songs in this show are kind of campy but they are used so often to attempt to take the place of dramatic or substantive character interaction, it seems and though it tries to be reminiscent of Disney in this way but Disney never completely replaced these things with songs, rather added the songs on top of it, and the songs themselves aren't particularly memorable.

>There are other better cartoons currently airing
Pretty much every cartoon airing on networks like Nick, Disney, and even CN are much better than this even if you're stuck with cable.

Even ignoring the social commentary that hits you like a brick this show has absolutely nothing of value to offer.

It started one hell of a salt mine.

> Decent story

agree that the first visit to homeworld being this is kinda weird, but i honestly dont care much about the lion reveal. i actually fucking hated the dumb theories about how it was pink diamond or whatever.

agree 100% on the action animation. it could be so good, even if they just some weight into their impacts and made fight scenes more than "characters that could very easily be helping attacking at once"
instead of the weird JRPG "let's take turns getting our asses kicked" style that was so glaringly bad in the Topaz/Aquamarine fight

It's/a/ but I think Madoka Magica had a decent romantic plot if you view it that way.

I think people just liked the first season, so they got invested enough to stick around.

man, I always fell like it should be pointed out that the music in the show isn't JUST the shitty sung songs.

youtube.com/watch?v=sclzb5mWhbg
youtube.com/watch?v=vhw2qtZGsuc

All the instrumental stuff is solid is far as I care

1. Steven Universe has a beautiful and distinctive artstyle that looks simply beautiful. despite the several animation inconsistencies, it doesn't harm the beauty of the style.

2. The songs and sound design is just incredible for this show. like really, from an audio perspective SU is top notch.

3. The characters naturally develop and they feel very relateable and human. the writing just feels really honest and down-to-earth. and i love it. almost every character is three dimensional and interesting. also the way the show portrays relationship is nothing less than beautiful

4. When the show gets more towards towards the alien-fantasy side of things, it gets even more exciting. they really know how to create a feeling you are in for an epic adventure in this show.

Overall, SU is easily one of the best shows right now

I dunno man, hard to say, what shows do you like anyway?

I think the seasons of SU have been pretty consistent in quality. Season 1 just appears to be better because it has double the amount of episodes

Agreed.
youtube.com/watch?v=1LsNmHNQSWY
youtube.com/watch?v=oNcXFlcBJy4

Yeah I hate it when people bring up the music and the standard response is "Some songs are ok but they're mostly shit". Like there's more music than the literally lyrical songs in the show, the background music is great.

> Background music
Nah, ripoffs of most videogames memorable themes... it's shit, you know?
Quickly forgettable

1. Only the backgrounds look consistently great. the character designs range from okay to really ugly.

2. The instrumental music is pretty great. The actual songs are garbage.

3. It's stilted, slow, and mostly badly told.

4. It goes from uninteresting to sorta interesting.

It's a mediocre show that isn't all that bad nor all that good, but either gets hyped up way beyond what it deserves or slammed harder than it probably deserves as well.

what songs are they ripping off, exactly?

You hate the show, there are plenty of people who love the show. and i explained why i love it here Honestly i don't even understand how the fuck you can attack the show with a criticism like: "Nothing actually happens in this show" which is so objectively untrue that just watching few episodes can prove you completely wrong

>>There's only 4 likable characters (a few townies are okay)
>[Pic related]
Stopped reading there once I saw the image.

The good characters are Greg, Steven, Pearl, Amethyst, Lars, and Buck. There's a few other decent ones.

I actually think this show would be a lot better if it was just a drama about Greg and Pearl raising Steven together, without the Steven focus and instead just focusing on all three of them together or individually at times.

Alright that's your opinion and i respect it. I just disagree with it.

pf, you wanna know all s1-s4 they ripped off?
i'm not wasting time revealing the truth

>lies

shut up bitch, you're a cancerigenous piece of shit in Sup Forums
You never learn the lesson?

hhhhhhhh, i said: I DON'T FUCKING MAKE A 5 HOURS POST REVEALING THE TRUTH, MOTHERFUCKER.

She is bi, why wouldn't she have gay relationships in her show when she had gay relationships herself?

you really think gay artists should be banned from having gay characters in their artwork even though they are gay themselves?

Name one track they ripped off then.

He isnt saying anything about that faggot with victim complex.

Isn't this what the picture he posted implies?

Season 1 was great because it was still mysterious. Things were better back when the audience didn't know much about the Gems. After everything comes to a head in the finale, what of significance was left to surprise us anymore?
It's like the first 3/4 of Gravity Falls.

>jojofag thinks he has taste

h, you're jelaous girl, please, nobody fucking cares your work and art because you crying a lot in Sup Forums & reddit.
Get a fucking life, please, you make me sick.

The newest episode was a huge surprise, no one expected a pink lars with hair that can teleport you, and it also explained the origin of Lion

164 animators around the globe collaborate to redraw the episode of Steven Universe "The Answer" in their varying styles

youtube.com/watch?v=aDuLP-ImfgM

For something like this to happen, the people involved need talent, skill, creativity, drive, passion, and the self-discipline to see something through to the end.

This video is definitive proof that the fans have more of these qualities than the critics, who will never do anything remotely as impressive. The malcontents here are all talk and no action.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt

Sorry man, you can't beat me.
I'm overusing memes and josuke/jotaro are the nearly can make a sand torment in your ass.
You're the first to fall... congratz?

1. Jealous of what?
2. I didn't post my art here????
3. I didn't cry?????
4. I have life

there's nothing wrong with criticizing a show. i love this show, and have shitloads of fanart taking up my harddrive with it, but i still think there's so many things that could be better

You got the point user, finally.
Fandom > Cartoon

>the planet gets invaded by homeworld gems and nothing happens except for the gems getting some new sidekicks.

Lore explain Homeworld are invading Earth since centuries ago and always are defeated because Homeworld society are incompetents.

> Art
Make a depressing good story novel and we talk serious, miserable bitch.
And i win because my project is more "god-like" and no using a tripcone like you, asshole.

simple, it's better than the things you like user.

I'm a musician, not a novelist

>there's nothing wrong with criticizing a show

Nothing right with it either. Criticism is nothing at all. As effortless and meaningless as taking a piss. People who do things matter. People who criticize them don't.

Constructive criticism is useful. Bashing on it based on tastes alone is not

alright. what are you doing, besides writing this post?

So... hey, if you mind is sticking in your ass and don't make a convincent comment about you... please, eat shit and die...
[/spoiler]Teach me if you make a good remake song like RushJet1, if you don't had that, consider you're a failure to the music[/spoiler]

If you date a bunch of girls, and I'm talking "deep" girls, the characters in the show make way more sense.

Can't even name one cuz it's just shit you pulled out of your ass

Learn how to use a DAW.
A pretty cheap DAW that is also actually good is Reaper so if you don't want to pirate stuff i recommend that.

See? i'm helping you, so start being nice towards me

>distinctive

>1. Steven Universe has a beautiful and distinctive artstyle that looks simply beautiful. despite the several animation inconsistencies, it doesn't harm the beauty of the style.

Nope the inconsistent design actually harms the product, it highlights how fucking flanderized some character get in later seasons.

>2. The songs and sound design is just incredible for this show. like really, from an audio perspective SU is top notch.

Not really, the music goes from dull to OK, some ambient music is decent but the action music is honestly quite dull for the pace it is supposed to have, and then you get the fucking songs wich are poorly written and inserted as pseudo development, it just doesn't work.

>3. The characters naturally develop and they feel very relateable and human. the writing just feels really honest and down-to-earth. and i love it. almost every character is three dimensional and interesting. also the way the show portrays relationship is nothing less than beautiful

You lost me here, the characters font develop since there are zero resolution to their arcs, they just hang around and get flanderized harder wich each episode we wait for the next bomb. SU might have cool concepts but the characters are actually very poorly utilized by the writers, and no singing while crying isn't development, it's a cheap writing tool.

>4. When the show gets more towards towards the alien-fantasy side of things, it gets even more exciting. they really know how to create a feeling you are in for an epic adventure in this show.

The alien stuff would work if it actually mattered, when you wait 25 episodes of absolutely nothing happening to jump into 3 episodes of build-up for an anticlimactic resolution you get the format of SU, and it's fucking terrible.

SU is bad, they try to coat it with an alien rock empire and a "relatable" lead(That is actually an emotionally stunted retard) but their show fails when the viewers are cockblocked of shit actually happening.

I can defend season 1 and 2
I cannot defend the others season
Is just plain garbage
My headcanon is the cluster one and everyone dies so there is no s3 or more.

>suggesting peridot, lapis and connie are likable
stopped reading there

>3. The characters naturally develop and they feel very relateable and human. the writing just feels really honest and down-to-earth. and i love it. almost every character is three dimensional and interesting. also the way the show portrays relationship is nothing less than beautiful
Yes, Lars turning into a badass space captain off-screen was a natural development for his character.

1. The design itself is not inconsistent in terms of style. the inconsistencies are mostly about character proportions

2. subjective man, i love the songs on SU

3. I have to 100% disagree with you. the characters definitely developed and we also discover more about them as the series keeps going on. almost all characters are beautifully written and very three dimensional.

4. The alien stuff matters, the fact most episodes are on earth doesn't mean that they don't matter. the storyline just develops in a really smart way where you have alien creatures getting used to the every day life on earth and learning to love it

Whoa these are incredible! Sugilite's beats were the most memorable but never thought to listen to them by themselves

Season 1 / 2 have fantastic ost
The ost for seasons 3/4 are forgettable garbage

Sup Forums is becoming shittier by the minute

I'm not doing anything productive or impressive, but I'm also not shit talking people who are.

1. He didn't turn into a space pirate yet, we only know he became pink after steven revived him. the space pirate thing is only spoiler from unreleased episodes

2. there was definitely a natural progression for lars up until now. before Lars was stuck with Steven on homeworld there were two episodes dedicated almost entirely on Lars character development and preparing us for his redemption arc

You only need to be exposed to a product to be a critic.

As long as it exist and it's out for the public to consume all criticism is fair play, so when people tear a new asshole to a shitty piece of garbage it has the same value as the guy that praises the piece of garbage on a pedestal and masturbation furiously to said piece of shit.

All criticism good or bad is worth the same, the fanart doesn't exclude the opinion of the masses and if they seem a piece of garbage as a piece of garbage it will still be an irredeemable piece of garbage regardless of what the fan artists say.

Enjoy your piece of garbage.

>You only need to be exposed to a product to be a critic.
You only need to drink water to piss
>All criticism good or bad is worth the same
Literally nothing

>All criticism good or bad is worth the same
Right when I was ready to agree with you

Crazyaga, unironically please just leave Sup Forums.

I've been seeing you fucking everywhere dragging your opinions around like a wet rag and I believe I speak for everyone here when I say fuck off.

I like him. He's either naively genuine or a superb countertroll. Either way he's better than the people who just post "it's shit" in every thread.

i agree with you... beatiful pizza

>1. The design itself is not inconsistent in terms of style. the inconsistencies are mostly about character proportions

I'm not asking for perfectly corrects stills, but Jesus, their approach to animation and direction actually breaks the immersion, for many it is actually a deal breaker.

>2. subjective man, i love the songs on SU

I can concede it is subjective if you enjoy something, but I have to say that in a piece of story telling characters can't sing everything they feel, that's actually considered a sin in writing by many, it cheapens the impact of a lot of scenes.

>3. I have to 100% disagree with you. the characters definitely developed and we also discover more about them as the series keeps going on. almost all characters are beautifully written and very three dimensional.

Flanderization killed most of the development, and we just get rehashes of previous plots where the characters are merely reactionary for that one episode, development is lost afterwards, it's not rewarding for a viewer.

>4. The alien stuff matters, the fact most episodes are on earth doesn't mean that they don't matter. the storyline just develops in a really smart way where you have alien creatures getting used to the every day life on earth and learning to love it

The alien stuff is just a coat, without stakes or development the episodic format actually hinders the narration the gem aspect is mostly explored in the bombs wich leave the audience hanging for long periods of time where not even the setting is explored.

SU reaches a point where it just isn't entertaining anymore.

> (You)

Stop samefagging Crazyaga.

This is why most Tumblr artist are shit. They don't value criticism. You should go back there and stop shilling your garbage content.

Exactly, if is a passive or offensive criticism, they always crying like faggots...

Off yourself loser

> It's a girl loser...
That's very sad.

That's even worse

Sorry if I crashed your bubble, but all forms of entertainment are weighed the same by the consumers, the medium news views to stay relevant, and no viewer is different from the other, thus their criticism having the same weight.

If a decline of quality is perceived the art piece is hit by a decrease of viewership and harsher critics, we aren't talking about the anomaly "shit 1/10" that is out of the focus group, but an actual member of the mainstay demographic abandoning the product.

In such way all criticism towards entertainment is worth the same.

Sorry man, but this is a market, not just art.

Good meme, user.

I have to say,i admire that you actually put effort in this bait.
Thing is mr retard,just because you dont like something,it doesnt mean its objectively bad and everyone shouldnt like it.
I hate star vs the forces of evil,and i can bring up reasons why i despise it more than teen titans go,but im not asking why people like it. I know why it is. It has stuff that attracts people but repels me.
You dont like the characters? Well thats on you. I love all of them except lapis.
I will agree that season 4 was dogshit. Other seasons and wanted where better

>stop liking things i dont like
whiny baby

> Market
It's time to wait the torment sand you created, pal.
INCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMIINGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I never said to stop liking it, just an honest attempt to explain why I don't and to understand why someone would.

But "wahh he pointed out flaws in mY show instead of having a discussion about it I'm going to act like a child, only confirming assumptions made about the show's fanbase"
Cartoon discussion board is really hostile to discussion ain't it. I'll post waifus instead.

>Stop criticizing things i like
whiny baby

Not you again.

Learned my lesson. Won't discuss cartoons any more. Only waifus. That's reasonable right? Can't have discussions about subjective opinions with people of similar interests. That's just wrong.

I'm a SUfag and even I hate that dumb namefag

Out of curiosity, why is this guy infamous.

Legit curiosity man I don't want to lurk through the shithole that is SU fandom.

i think this is the crux of your problem, dude. you think that all criticism is "talking shit" rather than just "expressing dislike". a lot of people's criticisms aren't a personal affront on the creator themselves

I don't know about the fandom, I've just seen him around Sup Forums a lot recently, starting dumb threads and generally being obnoxious. It wasn't even SU most of the time.

Look, I'm with you in defending SU, but don't talk shit about Jojo.

I think the problem with OP is not just that he dislikes SU, i think he is annoyed that other people love something he dislikes instead of accepting it's a matter of taste

are you having a stroke my guy

better question...
why are threads like this a thing?

Boss, i had CANSUR

Where in the OP did you see me insult fans of the show you disingenuous retard? You are actually the most inept piece of human filth on this board, the fact you haven't off'd yourself is a failure of our society. I cannot actually be made to believe there is a single person who wants someone as worthless and unlikable as you to continue to live and be a drain on the rest of humanity. If you had a shred of decency you'd fucking end it all now.

When is next episode

It's a fucking cartoon discussion board, it's a thread about cartoons, not everything is about fucking waifus and pickles.

I... i didn't say you insulted fans of the show.

Read again what i posted. i just said that i thought maybe you felt a little annoyed that people love something you really dislike.

You don't need to be mean towards me like that user....

I readed this fucking comment with pearl's VA and holding a gun.
Well done, pal, well done.
I FUCKING LOVE IT

But i didn't even do what he claimed i did. i never said he insulted fans of the show