He's never getting saved from the clutches of Bendis is he?

He's never getting saved from the clutches of Bendis is he?

Does he even deserve saving?

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, imagining that Bendis might live as long as Stan Lee.

People like him. He has a fanbase. The poor kid should be allowed to live a Bendis free life.

He needs his own costume, and I'm not talking about a recoloring of Spidey. His own fucking thing. A name, too.
He'll never step out of Peter's shadow if he just stays a legacy fuck forever.

I mean that's kinda the point. He's a Spider Man brand character. Like the Flashes and Green Lanterns.

Did Kaine? Most would say no but he was and now Kaine is best spider.

>People like him

They don't

> He has a fanbase.

No he doesn't.

he has faggots who don't read comics posting about him on tumblr because it makes them think they're somehow being helpful

>"Things are true because I say they are!"

I guess those sales were just a fluke huh?

I guess, but the Spider-Man brand doesn't really have the same kind of mantle, does it?

Any character can be good, user. All it takes is a good writer.

The Flashes are a family of speedsters connected by the speed force. The Lanterns are a literal corps, an army of like-minded warriors. The Spiders have never had any real bond or connection like that, even when you had the real Ben Reilly in the 90s, Peter's fucking clone.

Except even Miles acts like he wants to be more than that, and he never will be unless Peter actually retires or dies.

Weaken venom shock. Drop Bendis. It'll never happen, Miles will be shit forever

You got alternate Spider-man characters, like Kaine, Ben Reilly, 2099 and Mayday. Plenty of people have been Spider-man or some variation thereof

Where? How? No really, who the fuck likes Miles? I have yet to hear a legitimate reason to like him. Its all "well he could be good if someone else wrote him", "I liked him in Ultimates", and "Hes black spider man!"

apologies if the same user that made this statement is in this thread, but the best summarization of miles' character/fanbase i've ever read is that
>miles doesn't have fans, he has advocates.
probably the best way to describe him. pretty boring forced character overall.

>Fluke
Nah he consistently sells like any other mediocre book with a Spider-man name
Hell there used to be a time Spider-man 2099 was selling higher than him...for a good while in fact.
Then they killed it with Secret Wars.

Those sales are based on the Spider-Man brand name. If Miles was introduced as "The Recluse" or some other name, he would have gotten cancelled as fast as Mosaic.

No he doesn't. He has Bendis say he does but he's still exactly that

Wow it's almost as if capeshit comics are all about branding now.

user, I'm sorry to say, but if Bendis has him say something, he still said it.

Does any other writer care enough about him? I figured the only reason he's still around is because of Benis.

>Taking anything Bendis writes seriously

Other writers aren't allowed to do anything serious with him.

We'll yeah. I don't see why you're being sarcastic about it. That's exactly what it is. But to say that "Miles has fans" is straight up false. Spider-Man has fans. Not Miles.

I'd like Miles a lot more if he was called The Recluse and just had the basic Spider-Man package + camouflage. Make him less about the quipping to get under people's skin (he's pretty fucking bad at it, and honestly always sounds like he's forcing it because that's just Spider-Man does) and more about ambush/guerilla tactics.

user, Bendis created the character, if /anyone/ knows what he wants it's him.

Miles is Bendis' brainchild. His characterization of Miles is, sadly, the most canon.

You can't just say your character wants something. You have to at least try to show it.
What the author thinks is fucking irrelevant. If he did not present it in the actual work effectively, he failed. It's as simple as that.

No, they don't. Want me to tell you why? Because every time they use him you can tell they don't want to. Which is why he ends up sitting in the background doing nothing except pointing out the obvious. Either that or they just write Peter in Miles' body. Bendis is literally the only reason this character is still around.

But he has. Miles constantly goes on about how he wants to be more than just another Spider-Man or a secondary Spider-Man. This is repeated plenty of times throughout the book.

>tfw people actually read bendis

Not the case. If it was he wouldn't be portrayed as a villain in the Gwenpool books nor would he be on any major team. The writers just don't know what to do with him. He's that bland.

People only care because his black latinx spiderman. Fuck him, there are better characters that deserve it.

When I said "you can't just say your character wants something" I was talking about the character saying it, too.
People aren't defined -- actions -- words -- etc.

Better black characters too.

I always got the opposite feeling, that no one does anything with Miles because if they touched Bendis's toy he'd throw a tantrum. So the character is stuck being a nothing.

>he wouldn't be portrayed as a villain in the Gwenpool books
He's not a villain - Gwenpool is, the books are terribly minor and he's not portrayed in a bad light.

>nor would he be on any major team
Bendis wants him to replace Spider-man. He wants Peter gone and Miles in his place. Gotta have Miles in every team possible to make sure people think of him.

Explain to me how you portray something like that without having your character comment on it in some way or another.

>latinx

As if that aspect of him is ever fucking relevant outside of his mom occasionally.

Other creators got to touch Jessica Jones, didn't they?

>miles is bad at quipping

I would love him to have a really dorky sense of humour and be terrible at quipping, like to the point where his villains call him out on it.

It'd be fun and if he ever got away from Bendis and in the hands of a competent character writer he could be much MUCH better than he already is

I think you're missing the "just" in there.
It's not enough that he just claims to want to do something, he has to be shown actively trying to achieve that thing.

Point me to a single arc where he makes the conscious decision to do something differently than Peter or a segment about him trying to make a difference between him and Peter (where it is not a long rant or comment about just wanting to), and I will concede my point.

She's a minor character, and her main purpose (marrying his husbando Cage) was complete. See what happens with Riri once he finishes whatever godawful story run he does.

Last issue Miles considered changing his name.

>where it is not a long rant or comment about just wanting to

What makes Bendis so bad?
I've never read his work

>Weaken venom shock. Drop Bendis. It'll never happen, Miles will be shit forever

Dude, He isn't going write spider-man forever. Maybe we should asks him when he going to allow other people to write miles?

Why bother? Miles has nothing going for him. The only reason anyone would write him is "BLACK LATINX SPIDERMAN YAAAAS".

He just needs a good fridge-stuffer and then someone can do something interesting with him.

>Implying anyone else would want to write for Miles when they could write for Peter.
Kid is dead once Bendis is off the book.

There is one hope.

>Gwen
>Hope

pick one

But why bother? There are better characters with less shit origins.

Literally the only thing Miles could have an angle on is bringing back parts of Universe 1610, seeing as he and Warthor are all that's left.

That's a fair point.

"BLACK LATINX SPIDERMAN YAAAAS".

No? Through most people always talk about the skin color. I like him because he was a new spider-man in a spider-man world. Not born to be a spider-man or clone.

> seeing as he and Warthor are all that's left.
Maker
Ultimate Quicksilver
Wolverine's son
Ultimate Pym
Ultimate Wasp
Ultimate Cap
Ultimate Iron Man
and Ultimate Hulk all survived too.

There is nothing good about Miles, plain and simple. It's a waste of talent, just let him die.

>No? Through most people always talk about the skin color. I like him because he was a new spider-man in a spider-man world.
And what's stopping you from wanting to write a new character that better fits that? Maybe without the baggage?

Because there's nothing unique about Miles. His personality is blande as shit.

I love Kid Arachnid

Wait, Ultimate fucking Pym survived? The "I rape my wife and torture her with ants" Pym?

And yet Ultimate Peter died a-fucking-gain? Goddamnit marvel.

Aren't real spiders like that?

>And what's stopping you from wanting to write a new character that better fits that? Maybe without the baggage?

I don't know what you asking me?

>Because there's nothing unique about Miles. His personality is blande as shit.

I like his new spider-powers, I like his interactions with ganke, i like his dorky attitude. Through there is some problems with miles.

>Plotlines are mediocre at best. Often repeats or rehashes
>Dialogue reads terribly, feels like he's trying to write Seinfeld banter but can't quite get it right.
>He ignores continuity whenever he feels like it, including stuff he himself wrote.
>He has real heavy bias with characters. Characters he likes get everything, he actively tries to destroy characters he doesn't like.

He feels like a fanfiction writer who landed a powerful position. Some people also don't like him because he has attempted to replace two classic characters (Spider-man and Iron Man) with his own characters that are "better".

It's not even just his quality that's at issue. He's an asshole and throws his weight around making life harder for every other writer at marvel. He gets first bid on basically everything and will completely undermine other talents work