This single issue was literally worth more than the entirety of his Batman run. By far...

This single issue was literally worth more than the entirety of his Batman run. By far. Why is Tom King so bad at Batman but so good at everything else?

Tom king Batman isn't bad, in fact I think it portrays a side of the character that has been forgotten for years.

>This single issue was literally worth more than the entirety of his Batman run
>Mr Miracle !tsGpSwX8mo

I sense bias here. . .

Grayson was terrible.

But then again, he is part of Batman so I guess what you said was technically correct.

I didn't mean to trip, I put it in the wrong field. I don't post very often.

Oh it stays there. Sorry again. It's late/early.

Because Batman is a widely known character with many incarnations and you most likely all ready have a favoured incarnation of the character.

You aren't really familiar with Scott, Vision or Kyle enough to have a favourite incarnation of a character or those character are all pretty consistent in their characterization unlike Batman

If I remember correctly King said that his scripts of Omega Men and Vision went through ten rewrites on average. I imagine it's the same for Mr. Miracle.

That kind of approach isn't really feasible with a double shipping book like Batman, plus Omega Men/Vision/Mr. Miracle are all limited series so they had to be written with a concrete ending in mind.

His Batman is wasted potential. King has a good premise, but his execution is terrible which is truly a shame.

He also said in an interview that he just turns in the first draft for his Batman issues. He's just using it as a way to make his name known, he really just doesn't give a fuck about the book.

if I was an editor and saw that in an on the record interview I would be reassigning the book at the earliest possible point

Well, we ARE talking about a guy who literally said Snyder's Batman was the best run the character ever had.

Tbh all of his Batman interviews felt very disingenuous to me, like he was trying to say what people wanted to hear and was trying to present an enthusiasm that he didn't have. He probably didn't want to write Batman, and probably doesn't much care about the character, but you just don't say "no" to an opportunity like that, not as a relative newcomer with a horrible sales record under their belt.

So he probably just phones in his Batman scripts while he has some extra time on the shitter, and spends the brunt of his time focusing on the stuff he can actually muster some excitement for, such as Mr. Miracle.

He's just not trying hard enough on Batman. Except for the Swamp Thing issue and Elmer Fudd, he's just writing some generic action stories.

>So he probably just phones in his Batman scripts while he has some extra time on the shitter

God bless, he is one step away from writing god tier creator owned comics while being paid for shit tier franchise work. And then finally leaving the shit cocoon that is the big two.

He rises, Sup Forums.

I'd love to see King do a run on Swamp Thing, I feel like he'd knock it out of the park

>the same concepts of depression redone again and again but this time it's Alec Holland

So exciting

Maybe? But his execution and pacing on Batman is awful. I think he might be better suited to writing miniseries.

Lemire is still doing Bloodshot and is coming back to DC for Terrifics and Hawkman tho.

Also Lemire was an indie darling before his Green Arrow and Animal Man with Sweet Tooth and Essex, Kings always been a DC pet.

>Grayson was terrible
Get the fuck off this board grayson and midnighter are the two dcu books that Sup Forums can agree that they like and we can never agree on anything.

>Lemire is still doing Bloodshot and is coming back to DC for Terrifics and Hawkman tho.

I'm okay with all of this, the man needs to eat. For some reason I respect him more because of how much he phones in his DC/Marvel work and I hope he continues to do so.

King isn't good with plotting. I don't know how he'd do on a character entrenched in fantasy or horror, but I'd love to read his take on Swamp Thing.

I think his Plots are God awful. I am Gotham and I am bane had shit plots and the execution wasn't good either.

Lemire is a big Capefag and that too a DC fag, even though he doesn't put as much effort into his capeshit. It's common with Image writers nowadays. Snyder, Aaron etc don't care about their capeshit work.
King on the other hand has admitted to being a Marvelfag and wants to write for tv one day.

Vision or Omega Men never really had amazing plots either but the plot was just there to be in service of character study, it works sometimes and doesn't the other.

I don't think Mister Miracle works as a character study, just a study of these broader ideas.

His Sheriff is probably getting adapted soon too.

>wants to write for tv one day.
Which ducks because he has good layouts/manipulation of pages

Literally been an issue and judgement is already out?

If you've read the issue and followed what King has said, you get a pretty fully picture.

I agree, but King delivered in the execution. In his Batman, he's trying to come up with some over the top plots which are stupid. I think his character work is fine, even if out of character. It's his Plots that are too obtuse. He should write a completely character driven Batman with small stakes crime story in the background, like he did with the Swamp Thing issue.

Hopefully the most retarded thing I read today but likely not.

I don't know where he got the idea that Batman needs to be a blockbuster. Probably from seeing how successful Batman is and he thinks that's the only thing audience of Batman wants and can comprehend.

>obtrusive Christ parallels
>blandly executed if overall thought out dynamics

It's just a boring character read

Snyder wrote every story arc outside of court of owls as a blockbuster and since his run sold well there is no returning to small time batman. We can't have a couple months of batman tackling a drug ring or series of bank robberies, now every two weeks the city has to blow up and at least a dozen people need to die because modern gotham is Chicago and Detroit's rape baby.

>Grayson was terrible.
>>>/IGN/

I read about the first 6 issues of his Batman run, as well as a couple of Grayson. They looked good to me, did it get worse later?

Didn't ign only hate the futures end issue?

You maybe just have different taste than OP

King is a writer who people will either like or hate. In saying that I haven't really enjoyed much of his batman until two or three months ago but who knows maybe it'll turn out like morrison where only by reading the whole story do you truly appreciate it.

Midnighter was too gay for me and I'm a fag

It was fine when it was just "I Am Gotham", but when he repeated the same themes and dialogue in "I Am Suicide" and "I Am Bane" it started getting old. He also used something as big as Bane's return to make a short and uninteresting action story - the only salvageable thing from it was Bruce reversing Bane's Knightfall plan by making HIM fight all the madmen of Arkham to get to Batman.

The Peter Principle?

>starts with a hero trying to commit suicide
>ha's Brad "let's rape Sue Dibny to death" Meltzers approval

I like the book but this is ducking hilarious. Can't believe I didn't notice that first time