Voltron: Legendary Defender /vld/

>Dos Santos: We knew we wanted Allura to be a Paladin pretty much from the beginning. It was just a matter of when that was going to happen. Beyond that, it was Lauren’s OCD on sort of the color swapping and making sense of the original weird color configuration the original series had.

>Montgomery: I’m a slave to my nostalgia for the original where the colors were all wonkadoo and wrong colors in the wrong lions. But that’s just kind of what I remember from being a kid, and more so than Keith being in the Black Lion, I remember Keith wearing red. He was the red guy. He always wore red, and so when I would see people kind of change things up for the comics or for other Voltron shows, they would usually change the outfits, and Keith would be wearing black, Lance would be wearing red, and Allura would be wearing blue, and that just weirded me out. I was like, “No, no, no, that’s not the right character! You’re all wrong!” So it was my ask to like, “Can we please have them just start in the lion that correlates with the color, and then when they ultimately evolve and they move up it’ll make sense why?” They’re kind of like [how] Michael Jordan keeps his number and nobody else can wear 23.

>Dos Santos: That’s right.

>Montgomery: Keith is not going to take Shiro’s black outfit and wear it. He would never do that to his beloved mentor. They keep their outfits, and then they just kind of swap lions.

rotoscopers.com/2017/08/10/interview-with-joaquim-dos-santos-and-lauren-montgomery-of-voltron-legendary-defender/

Shiro confirmed kill or he will get an Altean arm and that will be used to power wormholes from the castle. Or he will fight in the front line with the rebel fighters.

Too bad the lion swap wasn't done well at all and just kind of happened. Just like Allura connecting with the blue lion just kind of happened and Keith suddenly becoming a more competent leader just kind of happened.

What was the point of all the lion-bonding stuff in S2 then?

The characters are developing and changing and the lions are reacting to that by acknowledging these new aspects of them. It's basic babyshit storytelling but seems to seriously trigger people on Sup Forums.

Fucking this. I have no idea why this concept is so hard to grasp for people here.

Also Lauren you my fucking girl. I knew you were a nostalgiafag. I love how other iterations fixing the colors triggers her autism as it did for me. She's so based.

>Just like Allura connecting with the blue lion just kind of happened
Thats how its worked for everyone else

>Keith suddenly becoming a more competent leader just kind of happened.
Really? seems he was a shit leader pretty much the entire time

>and Keith suddenly becoming a more competent leader just kind of happened.
Did you and I watch the same season? Even so he learned his lesson from getting his ass kicked by Lotor.

>Really? seems he was a shit leader pretty much the entire time
I saw a bit of a change after episode 3.

I kinda agree since Allura didn't match the whole "Cool thinking" personality of Blue when she first piloted it but got it when she got some experience same with Keith, he wasn't a good leader but he's getting there so I guess the lions see the potential rather on what personality they currently have?

>I saw a bit of a change after episode 3

Yeah, and in the last present episode he needed Shiro to basically tell him what to do

Actually he wasn't really listening to Kuron. Kuron was basically backseat leading.

>Montgomery: [Laughs] We like to make no one happy.
Based

>Montgomery: Anything at all, even, whether it’s good or evil. Medicine in large doses can kill you. So that’s really what Quintessence is. It’s not innately good or innately bad. It’s a power source, and if you misuse it, it can be very disastrous.
Just like drugs!

>Montgomery: [...]I’ve been waiting since day one for Allura to show up in her Pink Paladin outfit, so that’s a huge thing for me, as well.
You truly are best girl.

>Dos Santos: [...] And even when you go back and look at the original series, as kooky as the original series could be and how weirdly obsessed he was with Allura, there are elements to that original character in this version, as well.
Please let one of those elements be getting his ass cuckholded by Keith. We already have guaranteed daddy issues.

But he deliberately didn't do what "Shiro" told him to, he was given two options and instead came up with his own way

What else is this madman hiding?

I don't care if it was in the original, the mismatched colors are triggering my autism something fierce.

Matching colors triggers Lauren, so it's not going to happen.

I'm convinced in the future the Lion swap will be seen as this series Jump the Shark moment.

it will become the consensus on Sup Forums through memeing while literally no one else cares or thinks it was fine

It's pretty obvious Keith knows something is up with "Shiro," so he acted like "right hand" Keith to test him.

>two threads up
I guess once the other one archives we'll flock to this one.
>Shiro confirmed kill or he will get an Altean arm and that will be used to power wormholes from the castle. Or he will fight in the front line with the rebel fighters.
>Altean arm.
I've been posting the concept art of it. Josh's "It's been an honoring defending the universe with you" must've meant Shiro stepping down from piloting. I wanted Shiro to become a stay at the castle waifu since S2 aired, or him freeing the other rebelks with Matt. The Shirofags on tumblr seriously think he's going to go back to piloting black, I'm looking forward to their meltdown.

>Shiro is 25
>I thought he was at least 30
John Young was 51 when he commanded STS-1

It's been fucking fine so far.

I agree. Ever since ATLA it was my compliant that characters would supposedly unlock new abilities through learning new mindset, but they never actually change their attitude.

If they were nostalgia fags all along then why didn't they translate this part to the episode?

They have to introduce Nanny first.

Tell me guys. Will the team, at one point, go back to Earth and will the planet have a role in the show? Or will it be just a first-episode-wonder and will never be mentioned again?

>Be me
>Look through /vld/ in the archives
>Some tumblr retard links back here
>Ruins the poll but I missed it for sleep reasons or otherwise
Why can't we have nice things?

Because this is Sup Forums.

Did Allura really never once consider that she might be able to pilot a lion? Or did she know, and just choose not to? Given how simple it ended up being, is there a chance that she's able to pilot the other lions, too?

Well we know Allura can't pilot the black lion no matter how much she wants to, and maybe not the red lion either since that would just have been easier instead having the three way swap. So I'm guessing she has one of those special quality things required for piloting the blue lion. And she probably couldn't just hop into the yellow or green.

What is the special quality required for blue anyway?

She didn't have to try when they arrived as 5. Black and Red refused to workwith her, so I guess no.

>yfw everything he's ever said about his past is 100% true.

You know, i was kind of hoping they'd get that magic comet and turn it into an extra part/upgrade for Voltron that the princess would pilot.

I'm gonna be really disappointed if they don't at the very least go back to Earth in the very last episode. These guys deserve to go home someday.

>What is the special quality required for blue anyway?

Being a shitter noob

Well Lance and Allura both suck at it then. Lance was the first pilot on the team to even get a lion, and Allura mastered hers better than Lance ever had in like a day.

>i was sat at home eating spegget when epsoda play

Mmmkay, because I'm a technologically illiterate autist, I don't know how to save this gif here, but here's the thread with a sendak gif

Are they admitting that Lotor will be obsessed here too?

First place in the handicapped class is still handicapped, user. It's like you're trying to argue about who the best downhill skiier in Mexico is.

Sendak is sad
I already made two other posts, this one better be right

It's a show for children, people. Just sit back and enjoy the lewd fanworks.

this

Fuck this board.

Was looking for a picture to shitpost about but then I found this throwback. Those threads were such a good time. Hope that artfag is doing good.

Meh.

I was thinking more about coming back to Earth to get them to work with the resistance due to Zarkon going expansionist mode again.

And the government going full retard as always.

I want him back. He's still somewhere in space...

I'm convinced you're an idiot.

S2 stream?

Inadequacy

>Please let one of those elements be getting his ass cuckholded by Keith.
Is Keith even capable of falling in love?

>Hope that artfag is doing good.

Sucking at splatoon mostly

Coran secretly had a harem of followers back before Altea got blown the fuck out

>Allura mastered hers better than Lance ever had in like a day.
This sort of thing bugs me, when a new/side/etc. character is able to git gud in a matter of minutes/hours, compared to the original character who had to master it over the course of days/weeks/etc.

If you really are the artist, can you draw the thicc lady holding up the Ty Lee lady?

Not without a shit ton of growth.

>Allura mastered hers better than Lance ever had in like a day

Eh, not really.

She pulled out a power she needed quickly, but you can see that she was still clumsier than Lance with her lion during that episode, even after connecting with it.

She just advanced quicker, which is fine, since the lions are an Altean design after all.

>"Cool thinking" personality of blue
When has that ever been a thing? Blue like adventurous pilots who doubt themselves

No, they're probably referencing his issues with his parents.

He won't have the Allura obsession here, because his mom doesn't look like her and isn't dead.

>Is Keith even capable of falling in love?
He's passionate and devoted, give him some time.

More like John OLD m I rite????

>Please let one of those elements be getting his ass cuckholded by Keith.

Can you imagine the asshurt if, surprising everyone, Lotor ended up with Allura and Keith ended up with Acxa?

>lotllura
But that's an improvement.

He doesn't love, he has special interests.

I liked how they kept their weapons but those colors did change with the different bayards.

REEEEEEE NOSTALGIAFAGS GET OUT!!!

what's the difference?

I ask mostly in jest, but thinking about it, I think it'd be hard to distinguish someone's special interest in another person from a (maybe kind of obsessive) form of love

I don't know if he's seen anything about Allura, the fact that she's an Altean might be his obsession with her if they make him have one.

I told you the showrunners were nostalgiafags, user.

But they said they were doing their own thing!

I too remember how Takashi Shirogane turned out to be a clone in the original. Such a great episode.

More like Takashi Shirogane isn't dead after six episodes.

OBLIGATORY!

I mean, for the most part they are. The galra aren't just cartoonishly evil anymore, no pun intended, they have their own motives. Sometimes they joke about certain evil aspects, the whole bloodthirstiness level thing and all, but for the most part they have a lot more interest beyond the generic 'evuulll' motives of the original. The same goes for the paladins, even if they're slowly going along.

Dude, we get the concept. We know the switch needs to happen. But the writing behind it wasn't very good, that's what we're trying to say here.

I know it's a show for kids and I don't need it to be deep, just consistent. Lance at least had a moment with Blue and acknowledge what's going on, but Keith and Red got totally ignored, and suddenly what the Red Lion wants in its paladin is totally different? Ah, but then they show Alfor and he's a hot head too when younger. Allura didn't develop and change before being accepted by Blue, it just happened. Shiro gets a whole season about his claim on Black against Zarkon and then banishes, he's gonna get forced out of this because of clone or/and arm plot.

It's not a bad idea to add some reason to explain the mismatched armor and being faithful to the old one is a good thing, but why creating this whole thing just for that? Keep it simple - Allura explaining the pink was actually touching and expanded on another culture. Simple and perfect.

It also just happened when Lance originally got the blue lion. Remember: the lion picks the paladin. If it feels it's time for a change, then it's time for one. And as far as Lance in the red one, my own theory is that him getting past his stupid rivalry (most of the time) is enough change to merit its respect.

>It also just happened when Lance originally got the blue lion.

Yeah I know, I'm just building on the point the other anons made: I can buy Allura being Blue compatible actually, but the other anons are talking about characters changing and developing and no. Keith and Allura haven't changed.

I think like this

>Allura didn't develop and change before being accepted by Blue, it just happened.
but she did, she straight up expounds on this when trying to pilot Red, it just ended up being Blue who acknowledged her desires instead and wanted to nurture her potential. i can understand complaints that the switch was a bit rushed (thought im actually glad they combined it with a fight scene so they could just get it over with) but there's nothing inconsistent about it.

i've seen people in these threads even complaining that Blue suddenly changed her mind on what she wants when that shit hasn't even been explained in the show yet, because it's being shown to us instead and they were just wrong about it

I think part of the season will show him adapting to the black lion and leadership. Somehow he'll be without Shiro's help again, and he's gonna have to make his own decisions. As for Allura, the official description for it states 'most accepting of new pilots'. Now, you can say that's awfully convenient, which it is, but that's how they wrote it. Maybe they'll give a more in depth explanation later on.

That would trigger Lauren.

Blue just takes on pilots who are self-doubting but want to prove themselves, it's the test-run "potential seeker" lion

>Lance has self confidence issues and is eager to prove himself
>Blue lion accepts him immediately
>Allura states she's tired of being on the sidelines and desperately wants to help and fulfill her father's legacy
>Red doesn't care, Blue accepts her instead
As someone with the finest public school education burgerland can provide I feel confident in saying these two arcs have nothing in common, must be a retcon.

Now, see, that part in the end I do agree with you user. Blue hasn't changed - in fact her and Lance are the most consistent part of this switch.

She just says she wants to help though? Which she's been already doing from the castle all this time. She wants to be able to be closer now. So ok, she wants to do more. A bit of change, maybe, but hardly a big development.

If the lions need to change in times of need, is really Keith a better option to lead than Allura? And yes I know how the original goes, I'm talking about the inconsistent problems that bothers us in this canon. If potential alone is enough for Black, why couldn't Alfor take over Black when Zarkon went nuts?

Yes, user, I know Keith's arc will be developing as a leader and becoming more independent without Shiro. You keep missing my point. Other anons said lions reacted to characters changing, and Keith hasn't *yet*.

>Somehow he'll be without Shiro's help again
I personally think he did excellent in trailing the comet. Shiro was giving him shit about not attacking the comet and to go for the cargo. Obviously he'll pick his battles better but at the end of that episode he didn't listen to Shiro, nor tell the team what he had in mind. He made Lotor's general shoot the cargo themselves, out smarting Lotor. I liked that a lot.

The problem with Keith's leadership right now is that he decides on the wrong choices. He needs to work on that a lot. Shiro did tell him to go for the cargo and he eventually listened, but he did his own thing because he's confident in his skills.

Yeah, I don't object to the fact that it happened, I object to the awkward execution and lost potential for character growth. I don't think they did a TERRIBLE job, but it could have been a lot better.

If Kuron turns out to really just be brainwashed Shiro, fans will probably start to hate him.

>Will probably start to hate him
I already hate his stupid hair

Allure's desire to pilot is clearly way stronger than just wanting a change of pace or feeling like she could do a little more, her desire is SO strong she actually cries in frustration when Red won't respond to her. after two entire seasons of being the stoic-faced emotional rock of the team. it's become a really big deal for her

there have been some fun discussions about allura vs. keith for black here before, and I'm firmly on the side that Allura just doesn't have the potential to be the kind of leader Voltron needs. she leads from authority and expects to be followed because she's the princess and the boss, Black wants someone who will be followed out of loyalty and trust. remember that Voltron's whole "deal" is teamwork, and Allura is not the type of person to readily accept input from others like Shiro was and like Keith is slowly learning to do.

Kek, I don't believe that Kuron is actually Shiro. The user said in his post that somehow Keith be without Shiro's help and I simply went along with it.

Kuron is an obvious plot point for Keith to continue making his own decisions regardless of all of the doubts that people place on him. Hopefully he'll also begin to look at other options, and pick his battles more wisely.

>at the end of that episode he didn't listen to Shiro, nor tell the team what he had in mind
Reminder that he did this because he knows Shiro is a fucking mole

Those are actually some interesting points, especially the last part about comparing HOW to leave. Thanks for humoring with this, user.

I think at the end of the day, the rushing is the words part. And not just rushing in the switch, but in general. S1 caught us in with a nice mix of paladin moments and slowly advancing the plot, and then half of S2 and most of S3 was info dumping.

S3 has some great moments, mind you, it was a trip and I loved it but. Where is Keith telling everyone about his Galra heritage? Where is everyone receiving Shiro? Etc.

Remember season one? The creators explained how they knew people want the robot in the first episode but they didn't want just "the one(s)" finding the legendary weapon and kicking ass, they wanted to be felt. So they made an extra long episode.

I think that's what the switch needed. Although the whole Shiro/Black and Red/Keith in S2 would've still felt weird, we would've felt way more satisfied.

Good lord all my typos. Apologies for my posting from my potato.

>Shiro is a fucking mole
I know user, I know. However, Keith doesn't know that Kuron isn't Shiro. How could he know?

The real Shiro always believed in Keith's decisions and knows what Keith is capable of. Kuron doesn't believe in Keith and wants to be the leader instead. Kuron is an obvious plot point for Keith.

Yeah if Shiro got back with Black, Blazing Sword would OP it out.

Yeah, I rewatched it and, unless it was just sloppy writing(possible), there was no other reason for Keith not to explain his plan. He might not know for sure that Shiro/Kuron is the mole, but I think he must suspect that they're being spied on.

np user, stuff like this is actually fun to discuss. i think S3 in particular really stepped it up with the writing and they weren't scared to get a little nuanced with some of the character moments in between the giant kittybots blowing shit up.

I agree that it's weird how they consistently leave out these revelation/reunion moments we expect the show to have, and it's happened enough that it's clearly a deliberate choice. I'm not really sure how I feel about it yet 2bh, I don't really want to pass judgement yet since it could be leading to an interesting subversion of something

He certainly suspects something is up and I'm curious to see how the writers will have him go about it. Is he going to pull away from the rest of the team again because they're all on Shiro's nuts now and he thinks they won't believe him, or will he actually confide in them so they can figure out what's going on together? I think either way could be interesting

Man this thread is deader than usual, is it just cause it's the weekend? Or has everyone wandered off til season 4?

I want Shiro to become Keith's stepdad and buy him fidget spinners

It's because most of the other anons want a longer wait, it might pick up later, who knows