This is surprisingly dark for the Fantastic Four

This is surprisingly dark for the Fantastic Four.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cB_vlaP-3uo
youtube.com/watch?v=-P0IGCmd0lk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this a black joke?

Is this how you pick up women?

Is this worth seeing? Even in the "so bad it's good" kind of way? Or is it boring? There's nothing I hate more than a boring movie.

I originally worded this as "this is surprisingly dark for Johnny Storm" but I knew Sup Forums get distracted so I changed it.

So no.

Theres only two scenes I care about in the entire movie just because how retarded they are so no. It's not worth a watch.

I didn't mind it much when I saw it. I viewed it as a pseudo-sequel to Chronicle and it works best that way. There are some interesting this in the movie concerning Planet X and it's relation to Earth.

Other than that I say dont waste your time.

So why did they make Torch black again...?

Because. Racism.

This is the FF film in which it's "Clobberin time" was what Ben's abusive dad used to say when he punched his mum?

What color do things turn when you burn them?

That's not why.

Think it's cuz of the director, who worked with him on Chronicle

I have problems with the movie but this one specific line isn't one of them. Gub'ment would sit on their hands all day if you don't get firm.

Because the growing black middle class and the fact blacks watch more TV/movies than any other ethnic group in the US is a huge money maker.

Nope it's what Ben's brother said to him when he gave him dope slaps

Close. When Ben's abusive bother would say when hurting Ben

Unfortunately it's Ben's older brother when he wants to beat Ben. I like your version better.

No, it's not good at all. It's like they tried making multiple movies, couldn't decide what direction they wanted to go, then spliced them together.

It's even worse is that they stop trying to even do the minimal effort of character stuff once the characters actually all meet

It is worse then Catwoman, it's the single worst comic book movie ever made except B&R and that is only because of good casting for Reed, Sue & Johnny even if they don't give them shit to do.

Jesus I'd remembered that scene much worse than what it actually was.

Ben's alright even though he gets shit on more than any character in the entire film for no real reason.
The thing no one wanted

>good casting for Reed, Sue & Johnny
opinion disregarded

Better question; Why didn't they make Sue black as well?

And the answer is that they didn't have balls enough to have two black leads, so they made up some shit about her being adopted.
Cowardice? Idiocy? Marketing autism? You decide!

Reed and Ben had a very smooth dynamic at the start.

They just drop it when shit actually starts rolling.

They should have cast Jordan as Reed instead, or had the balls to make Sue black too.

No the answer is that Sue Storm is THE definitive blonde super heroine. It would be like taking the S off Superman or the glove off Freddy Kruger.

Oh, fan autism! Forgot about that for a second.

It's amazing how they thought Trank would be the next Cronenberg but the actual film watches like a fucking parody

like crossing over things as clashing as the Fantastic Four and Cronenberg body horror would

Why the fuck was the place at the end called Central City?

>that image
What did he mean by this, honestly? Like is he begging them to say yes, is he trying to be snarky, was it a threat? I honestly can't tell, maybe I'm more autistic than I thought

NOW THIS IS a black thing, isn't it?

I think they forgot how to write an ending.
Don't forget the scene immediately after this, where they brainstorm a team name.

He's basically saying "don't turn this into a debate". I wouldn't say it's a full blown threat but he just didn't want to fuck around with the back and forth between the military and Reed.

If it's supposed to imply Reed's intelligence it should be coming from Reed, though. Reed is narcissistic, it illustrates his character more.

It's not even said like a "I don't want the back and forth" it's pretty serious and stoic. Like this is going to happen or else

>implying that's the implication
The line is there to show that Johnny has some edge to him, like every other blasted line that character has in the movie. That shit was tiresome.

I think it was less "can't have two blacks" and more "can't have the only girl be anything except white."

Unless the movie is supposed to be making some point about interracial relationships, studios don't like having a white male lead with a black love interest.

Based MCU giving shit-ass Human Torches another chance

I actually really like Evans in the first two Fantastic Four movies; he's one of the only characters in a superhero movie I can think of who gets powers and immediately just wants to fuck around and get famous

but that implication isn't compelling at all it's boiling the character down to simple cliché

are you suggesting that Fox's writers would do that

just write a script with a dearth of genuine characterization

>the only characters in a superhero movie I can think of who gets powers and immediately just wants to fuck around and get famous
You mean except for Spider-man, right?

Can I ask how it fits as a sequel? Genuinely curious because I love watching films in different states of mind.

I said one of, not the only.

Also I would argue that Raimi Parker didn't want to get famous, he just wanted to get some quick cash to buy a car.

This movie is surreal and the only enjoyment one could get from it is by discovering the behind the scenes drama and the web of madness that lead to its creation. Furthermore, Ben is given outright cruel treatment in this movie, from his brother, best friend, and Reed himself. Sue unfortunately does not share ANY lines with Ben in the movie so who knows how they feel about one another. Also Johnny is a straight up dick
>"How about we call ourselves the 3 neurons and the thing nobody wanted"
Jesus Christ, its not even a fun jab

>Better question; Why didn't they make Sue black as well?
Reality: Sue was Fox's choice that vetoed Trank's preferred actress.

Trank's Jonny was Trank's pick, as they had met in the last film together. So it is possible that he would have picked a black Sue as well if it was up to him.

Yeah, as much as I think Trank had a fucking meltdown making this movie, I think that Fox are a big part to blame.

Their biggest mistake was getting someone fresh from an independent film where he had a lot of creative control and a script by another weird indie guy to a big budget film for an IP that had failed before, in a genre that he was only tangentially related to, with two other big budget studio projects scheduled straight after, and with the much greater amount of control and oversight from execs who will misunderstand things very easily

it's easy to see why the guy went fucking cuckoo

This is absolutely true. People hate Reed each day more. Making him black could get the character some sympathy, because of the novelty.

I'm probably the only guy you'll meet that got any enjoyment out of that movie, and even I gotta say all the cool parts got buried under garbage. But There ARE a couple cool bits.
>The tone
This is not a superhero movie, it's a sci-fi thriller, staring the fantastic 4. This isn't necessarily done well, but it is interesting to see the characters in a different light, if only for the novelty.
>The Thing
Ben's whole transformation is GENUINELY really cool. As much as it was at odds with the rest of the cast, the sci-fi thriller tone really worked with Ben's powers. The body horror element is ramped way up. The accident didn't turn him into a rock-man, it tuns him into ROCK, just solid rock. He can't move, he can't even open his eyes to see what's going on, all he can do is yell for help, desperate for answers. What going on? Where am I? What happened to me? but no one can help, and no one has any answers to give him. He just has to slowly struggle to crack and break himself back into a vaguely human shape over the course of WEEKS.
Before the transformation he's just as bad as the rest of the cast, but the accident turned him into the one genuinely good thing in that movie

Jordan's also a pretty boy, so you could actually emphasise that it's mostly Reed's prickly personality keeping people away, not just 'lol dweeb'.

I agree on the Thing stuff, but I still can't find any reason for the lack of fucking pants

sure when he first wakes up but the whole film?

It doesn't really. I'd view it as kind of a spritual successor. Like if they made a movie in the same franchise but without anything to do with the first movie except for the general concept(kids get superpowers).

Retard

>studios don't like having a white male lead with a black love interest.

That's more TV. TV really likes that. You don't see it as much in movies.

Not it is only objectively and factually bad.
I love comic book movies. Absolutely love them. I have been an avid comic book fan for over 30 years, and it still warms my heart to see live-action versions of characters and stories I thought I would never ever see. So I guess you could say I am easy to please in this regard, but I loved BvS, I have loved nearly every MCU and DCEU movie, and almost all of the X-Men movies. I even like the original Crow, The Losers, Red (and Red 2), Road to Perdition, Scott Pilgrim, you name it: if it's based on a comic, I'm in.

This Josh Trank Fantastic 4 movie was terrible and I disliked everything about it.

This is mainly due to the overseas market. One of the most interesting things I learned from the Sony hack is that movies with black leads generally don't do well in China because the Chinese quite literally don't like black people.

>be an amorphous rock monster
>your dick barely looks any different from a rockslide
>you can choose...
>walk around naked all day because nobody is going to be able to tell if that's your dick or not
>OR
>walk around wearing pants like Mickey Mouse

This is why I like having Ben wear an Ultimates-style uniform, it makes more sense than him running around with just a pair of pants on.

Batman & Robin is leagues better than both FF and Catwoman.

DESU, OP, i heard so much bad things of this movie that i never went to the theatre to watch it, i didnt even watched it on tv when they 1st passed it. It was a total surprise for me when it entertained me, and i agree with the user saying its more a psi fi movie than a super hero one, yeah, 2nded

dumb phoneposter

>One of the most interesting things I learned from the Sony hack is that movies with black leads generally don't do well in China because the Chinese quite literally don't like black people.

Oh, that's been a known thing for a while. That's also why we're never ever getting a gay action movie lead as long as Hollywood sucks China's dick, they hate minorities and gay people.

Don't you remember all that spicy shitposting about how The Force Awakens was going to bomb because it starred a black guy, and Disney was burning money because they dared to cast a minority lead and thus was forced diversity? Like casting a black guy was somehow fiscally irresponsible?

Fun times.

What can i say.... on my way home

>China hates gays and minorities
>perfectly okay with whites because... because shut up
It's always good to be reminded that abject retardation and double standards is a global phenomena.

No it's literally among the worst movies of any kind ever made the ONLY positives that can be said about it is the Mr.Freeze suit was decent if a bit dated and Cloony was a ok Bruce.

If you think of in terms of 1966 Batman it isn't so bad.

>if you go through mental gymnastics it isnt so bad

The PRC bans movies that show china or chinese values in a bad light. Between that and limited hollywood films in china per year its just good investment to pander to the chinese government.

You are an idiot and/or have not watched a lot of movies if you genuinely think that.

It's barely a mental hop for me, bro. Is using your imagination hard for you?

So how did the new Star Wars do in China?

>So how did the new Star Wars do in China?

Gangbusters. Asia fucking loves Star Wars, it could have starred a transsexual Mexican woman and a bazillion dollarydoos.

They love it as much if not more then we do, and some pop culture genuinely does transcend prejudices.

That's disappointing to me, but only because I think the rebooted SW-Abrams verse is boring as fuck.

Oh, quality is a different argument(I loved it, but I get why people didn't), I'm just specifically talking about the memesters who were arguing it would flop in China because of black people.

I honestly think Abrhams might run the series into the ground. So far between FA and R1 I have been unimpressed. If LJ ends up being bad or worse *boring* I'm tapping out for good.

Didn't China only get Star Wars (as in the entire fucking saga) very recently? I wouldn't think they'd love it that much. Japan, sure, but China? Ehhh...

He had nothing to do with Rogue One or Last Jedi. Like he's straight-up gone form the franchise at this point.

Disney seemingly launched him out of a cannon the second he was done with TFA.

Well that gives me some hope. I've honestly never understood his appeal, and I don't know why they put Garreth "No Godzilla in a Godzilla movie" Edwards in charge of anything at this point

>thing throws tank so hard it's obliterated

just how strong is he?

That's honestly fucking hilarious.

I can't believe that actually made it into the movie. It looks like they didn't finish the effect or something

Well he's not throwing it at a very fast velocity, seemingly it just disintegrates for no reason. And he's not throwing the whole thing, just the turret. An Abrams turret is ~22 tons, 1/3 of the total weight. Another mitigating factor is that he's throwing it downward, so gravity is on his side, and he spends a relatively long time swinging it to prep it for the throw, and throws his whole body into it.

It looks like he tossed it about 5-6 meters. So he's strong enough to throw a 22,000 kg object several meters in much the same way Juha Rasanen can throw a 60 kg object a similar distance.

youtube.com/watch?v=cB_vlaP-3uo

Juha can bench 251 kg with great effort.

youtube.com/watch?v=-P0IGCmd0lk

Assuming proportional powerful muscles, then, that throw would indicate that the Thing can bench press 90-95 metric tons.

"this is surprisingly dark for Johnny Storm" would be an amusing shitpost. But may I recommend "bleak" or "grim"

There is nothing wrong with batman and robbin.

This.
I am not going to deny token blacks happen because they absolutly do but there is a far more innocent explanation here.

neat

IT DOESN'T MATTER. That is 100% not one of the film's flaws.

Well it is Sony, but after earth did do better over seas than America

Meaning what, it earned like 40 bucks? That movie was god-awful. And I really wanted to like it.

I don't know, there's black and white, free state of jones, loving, spiderman homecoming, every Zoe Saldana movie...

They'd rather see Chiwetel Ejiofor or will Smith than a tebitan apparently.

Too bad Jordan isn't The Patriot.

The very last scene where that film was being good was the scenes in the base, with the transformed F4 in terror of their physical changes.

Well put. I think this movie could've been good if they would've committed to a tone and direction. The body horror stuff was really interesting, cast was as good as you could possibly ask for IMO for this interpretation of a young F4, and this is a complete side-note but I actually kind of dug the "we got drunk and wanted to see the Negative Zone before anyone else" angle. It doesn't necessarily fit the F4 comic readers know and love, but it does justify Ben's presence in the experiment better than it had been previously.

Found the 12 year old with no tolerance for actual discussion

No, it's a rape joke.

I'm 40 and I was attempting to contribute to the discussion.

>"It's clobbering time" is what Ben's abusive older brother would say before beating Ben up
I will NEVER watch a Fox movie again after the way they raped the F4.

dude the doom hallway scene is very well done