What are some good non-superhero comics?

What are some good non-superhero comics?

Anything Dredd.

Megg Mogg and Owl if you're a drug user and/or depressed.

Love and Rockets

Pinocchio Vampire Slayer

transmetropolitan

Criminal.

Some of the stuff I have in my to-read list
>Castle Waiting
What goes on in Sleeping Beauty’s castle after she left
>Usagi Yojimbo
About a wandering samurai rabbit
>Blazing Combat
War action by Archie Goodwin, Red Crandall, Alex Toth, Joe Orlando, etc
>Cherry Poptart
The comedic sexual adventures of 18-year ol Cherry
>Conan
The stories of the Barbarian over the years. Both Marvel’s and Dark Horse’s books highly recommended
>Duck Comics
Disney’s Duck comics, anything from Carl Barks, Don Rosa, decades of European material including the great PKNA, although it is a superhero book
>Ms. Tree
Michael Tree takes over the investigations of her detective husband after he is murdered
>Cannon
Cold War spy serial filled with violence and sex by Wally Wood. Originally published in Overseas Weekly for the boys stationed in the military

Anything 2000 AD, really. Although the protags of a fair number of the other strips would probably count as superheroes (mutants, supersoldiers, wizard-scientists, etc.) while Dredd is just one really tough fucker with a big chin and a bigger gun.

The 'Nam
Stray Bullets
The Lonesome Go
Elaine Lee's Starstruck
Button Man

I tried reading the first issue and I was confused. I probably just read it too fast, but I'm responding because I want more info about this series.

So is this as good as it looks? What about the other Hanna-Barbera remakes?

>this won't get reprinted

I don't want to be volumes 4 and 5, it triggers my OCD, I need it in graphic novel form

This was great
Scooby starts out Rocky but ends up OK
Wacky Raceland was alright
Future Quest was good

the original Dark Horse Conan series is the best comic ever

Scout is also one of the best post-apocalyptic stories ever in any medium

Hawks of Outremer is a personal favorite

Regis Loisel's Peter Pan

That's normal
maggie the mechanic
Reads like an elseworld story
In a universe you don't know yet
Start with the second volume

The Goon (or really anything by Eric Powel) is a great comic. Goon is gritty and dark, but also manages to work in comedy without ruining the moment

Alien and Predator comics are great if you're a fan of either of those things, but they're not quite as scary as they could be

Bone
Chew
Transmetropolitn
Scott pilgrim

>dubs
Its worth reading
In fact most of them are worth reading except for maybe wacky races

Sin City

Only if you're 15 or younger.

The Works of Farel Dalrymple(The Wrenchies, Pop Gun war, It Will All Hurt, various short stories), Charles Burns(Black Hole, Last Look), Egypt, The Minx, From Hell, 100%.

KAMANDI

What said. I had a blast reading old Weird war tales and Garth Ennis' Battlefields (and his other war stuff). Six gun gorilla by Boom studios was also cool, as well as Alien vs. Predator comics about Machiko Noguchi (oroginal/War/Three worlds war), if you are into that.

2nd

Gilbert’s works are better than anything Jamie has made

French Long John Silver series are good being ye olde swashbuckling tale.

Classic Beto > Classic Xaime > Modern Xaime > Modern Beto

Beto fell so much further from his days of glory.

Kerasocet's Beauty and Miss don't Touch Me

Finally, FINALLY, someone else who appreciates Beauty more than Beautiful Darkness (also Kerascoet).

Not him, but I'd rank em Beauty>BD>MDTM.

BD is good, but I dunno how anybody can compare the two

Beauty is like an epic compared to a short story

Meant for

>mfw the Omnibus got delayed to fucking March

I have the 2 archives editions (1-20), and the 2vol omni edition... and the floppies.
I will also buy the new omni.
Fucking Kamandi, man.

I'd also suggest Werewolf by Night and Master of Kung Fu. Anything by Doug Moench is worth your time.

Ms. Tree is the greatest pun ever.

Blast

I'll second castle waiting. The second book has left me hanging and I wonder if the artist is going to even do more

Damn came here to post this, you don't have to be a druggie to enjoy it but it helps.

Not a drug user but super depressed. Can confirm. Really cathartic.

This fucked me up when I read it. Man do I want a physical copy though to read it again.

Beautiful Darkness is easily my favorite comic ever. Beauty and Miss Don't Touch me by the same people are also aces

Helped me lay off the weed, lol.

Grendel Tales was a mixed bag of mostly self contained stories. Some were good, some were fanfic level terrible.

And there there was this, which is my favourite stand-alone TP of all time. It's such a fucking shame we'll never get to see more of Ed's work.

Fun Home
Maus
There's some worthwhile Alien and Godzilla comics that shouldn't be hard to find.
Pic related.

Anyone have a download for Megg, Mogg & Owl: One More Year?

the best flintstones ever made. No kidding. I enjoyed reading that more than watching the original series as a kid or the movies.

I'd specifically point out Nikolai Dante, which is more like a science-fiction romance / war story with a charming rogue for a hero. Fantastic baddies too. Vladimir the Conqueror gets all the best lines.

2000AD's supernatural stories are almost always worth a look too, particularly those by Ian Edginton. I've really enjoyed Leviathan, Stickleback, Ampney Crucis Investigates and Absalom.

>other people read Castle Waiting
My African brothers

>What goes on in Sleeping Beauty’s castle after she left
I normally don't like this sort of fairy tail semi adaption but that sounds really cool.

My hithero-unknown brethren

I like it

edgy crap

Hellboy + the other series set in the same universe (the BPRD comics, Abe sapien's series, etc).
Groo the wanderer
I'd reccomend níquel nausea but i'm fairly sure it never had a english release.

>Hellboy + the other series set in the same universe
it's superhero-esque

>reccomend

Blacksad is fucking amazing best thing with talking animals ever.

Best comic I ever read.

Mouseguard is, if nothing else, fucking gorgeous.

All the comics I've given 5 stars on Goodreads
>Chew
>Sandman
>It's a Bird...
>Beast's of Burden
>Essex County
>Bone
>Books of Magic
>Umbrella Academy
>When the Wind Blows
>Killer of Demons

That's it 657 comics rated and those are the only 5 star one's in my opinion

Man I could NOT get into Chew for the life of me.

I find cannibalism fascinating so maybe that's why I liked it so much.

incorrect

Right, the correct comic is clearly Cerebus the Aardvark.

After reading Jason's Camino comic I was so moved that I am now planning on walking the pilgrimage path myself one day, i.e. spend roughly four weeks covering almost 800 kilometers on foot. I have also began questioning my own sanity for having committed to this laborious task just because I read a comic about it.

Forgot my picture.

You're also allowed to do the camino by bike afaik

Taxi by Alfonso Font is a pretty good comic series, but good luck finding an english version still for sale.

I love "De cape et de crocs", but I don't think it was published in English, plus it's full of puns and references which can be a bit obscure.

The Hunting Party and The Black Order Brigade are two great political thriller one-shots made by Pierre Christin and Enki Bilal

In general, most of the things made by Manu Larcenet

Nausicaa and Akira too if we're going this way

Anyone here read The Adventures of Jodelle?

Well that would be cheating.

the first like 10 issues are wildly different than what the series would become in writing and art

its not even the best detective story with talking animals

Are you talking about Sam and Max?

I'd liked to add

20th Century Boy
Pluto
Buddha
Adolf
Banana Fish
Slam Dunk
Planetes
Sanctuary
Opus
GTO
Ashita no Joe
A Distant Neighborhood
I don't care what anyone says everyone should read JoJo

Indeed, with super-villians, rotating artists, and a shared universe, too.
I'm having a hard time giving a fuck post - Guy
Davis.
Guy Davis> Mike Mignolia.

I couldn't get into this. I have the first big paperback about 1/2 finished and have never felt compelled to continue.

Asterios Polyp
Too Much Coffee Man
Anything by Charles Burns
Jeff Lemires non-big 2 stuff (sweet tooth and underwater welder specifically)
I Kill Giants
Killing and Dying
A Contract with God
Jar of Fools
Get Jiro
Through the Woods
My Friend Dahmer
The Eternaut
Any of Clowes work (Wilson a best)
Corto Maltese

You guys are making me miss old Sup Forums, you know when this kind of stuff took up more than a single fucking post in the catalogue.... anyone know how long it's been since dan storytimed last?

Golden Kamuy is still running but it's definitely worth checking out. Memes aside, JoJo really is fucking great. I'd recommend Steel Ball Run even to someone with no interest in weebshit.