I've recently started getting into comics and I've figured out more or less who writes what I want to read...

I've recently started getting into comics and I've figured out more or less who writes what I want to read. On the flip side however, I've seen a lot of names jump up every so often that make me feel I should avoid them.

Pic related for example seems to cop a lot of flack on this board, but I can't say I know why. Who are some of the more prominent writers in comics that are best avoiding?

Waid.

Some Waid is really worth reading, while other Waid is must-avoid-at-all-costs. He has a better track record when he's working at DC than at Marvel though.

Mark Waid

Waid hasn't been worth shit since the 2000s. Any Waid from the 2010s is beyond bottom-of-the-barrel.

anyone who works for Marvel

Bendis catches a lot of shit because he ignores continuity, creates minority characters but doesn't know how top develop them any meaningful way, tries to synergize with the MCU (which goes back to the continuity issue), a good chunk of his characters sound the same, and his stories are terribly executed when they have a good premise.

I would say about 2003-ish or so is when he stopped being good, 52 and Daredevil being the exceptions

James Robinson

He also has a really bad habit of breaking other peoples toys and then leaving them for someone else to fucking fix.

his daredevil was unreadable after the early arcs

Definitely avoid Bendis. Never ever read him ever.

all of these creators have done good work
not everything they do is good, but all of them have at least one or two stories that were really good
most of the people on this site are just too young to remember the good times

thatsthejoke.jpeg

That's a bait image. Always has been.

Though it's absolutely right about Loeb.
Even his most lauded works are bottom tier trash with the only saving grace being Tim Sale's art.

oh well i'm sorry

That image has "bad creators are a diamond dozen in this doggy dog world of ours" and you can't figure out the point of that image

You fucking idiot

memes aside, other than Captain America White, I really liked Loeb's color books

my favorite thing that loeb did was the batman/superman from the late 90's (maybe the early 2000's) i think
before supergirl was introduced, when ed was doing the pencils
some of those interactions between b&s were the best

It's the other way around, Tim Sale fucking sucks

Matt Fraction is the ONLY one you need to avoid. Everyone else has at least a single good story

Hawkeye was decent

Ultimate Spider-Man up to and including issue 200 is good, though it definitely has its problems.

That probably is the best book he ever did as it was mostly just straightforward superhero fun. Any time he tries to aspire to anything with more substance he bungles it.

I've never met anyone who's ambivalent about Sale. You either love him or you hate him.

die in fire

it was interesting only cause the artist did panel work. dialog was shit

Unless you're a Hawkeye fan. Bro.

i agree
he's best doing wacky fun shit, rather than tense melodrama
also his writing seemed to change a bit for the worse after his son died, which sucks but is understandable

This is a bait list right? Punisher, Preacher, and Fury are probably among Ennis' best works.

Hi Sup Forums! Enjoying your summer shitposting and baiting here again?

see

It started out great but turned into a meandering mess as time went on. The early issues are still worth reading though.

How is it that you can spot those errors, and ONLY those errors, and none of the other errors?

Hitman is better than all of those except Fury:My War Gone By

His Iron Fist was good though.

Why do you need help reading books? Choose your own damn books and form a opinion for yourself.

I sick of these people judging other people taste.

The quality noticeably dropped when Brubaker left.

Fraction needs a collaborator or a strong editor to keep him on target.

Funny thing is that Brubaker's exactly the same.

Can't remember much about the dialogue. I really liked the art tho. I read the first 10 or so issues and I thought it was pretty comfy. I thought the dog issue was a great idea done well

Not really familiar with Clint. Must be why I liked Fraction's run then

Same with Abnett and Lanning, but I'm not going to make the assertion that they don't have good stories because their good work was done with collaborators.

He was asking for recommendations, you dumbass. Quit acting like you're special for not asking for advice.

Honestly? I think Abnett does better work overall without Lanning.

There's a difference between "bait" and sarcasm.

>which sucks but is understandable
My writing would change if anyone close to me died or had trama or something. It's the same as artists getting over their trama. I don't hold it against Trent Reznor or Tori Amos that their music doesn't hold the punch it once did. They are just much more OK with their life now, living in constant pain and stress is what leads to early deaths. I don't wish that on them, even if I don't care for the music they do now.

Exactly, Brubaker actually plotted the book out. Fraction was the dialog...which was rather shitty IMO. The plot and art saved that book.

Fraction is one of the most aweful comic book writers I have ever read. He doesn't care about continuity, his dialog is worse than Bendis cause of how fake it is, and he can't plot out a story. How he got a job in the first place eludes me

stay away from anything Geoff Johns has done
there isn't a bigger hack in comics

But Sinestro Corps War and JSA were good, user.

But user, Sup Forums voted that Geoff Johns' Forever Evil was the Best Graphic Novel of 2013.

Casanova is genuinely great

He was so bad I sworn off even his indi books, sorry. I'd rather read another crappy Alex Kot indi book cause at least it's thought about

Ales Kot is my stupid writer who thinks he's smart fu
entertaining trainwrecks, he might have talent but sure as shit can't tell a good story

>He was asking for recommendations

No, he was asking which writers to avoid.

>Quit acting like you're special for not asking for advice.

How am i special? I told him to form his own opinions.

johns' early 2000's flash run was awesome
i don't even really like the flash but those comics were very good

I'm not gonna type out every single bait thing in that image, calm down with your assumptions, you're making an ass out of you and umption.

What if it's not bait but actually just a joke that went over your head?

The AoA issues of X-Man are okay

20+ issues on a bunch of thugs, bro. Should have been like 5, bro.

I think this picture was made by Bendis himself to make it seem like hating him was irrational.

Or someone who sucks his dick.

No, in the Hawkeye thread that was storytimed everyone agrees that he is the worst part of the story. seriously, go look

JSA- we don't need villains- we're a danger to ourselves and others the comic.

I cannot imagine how you could possibly have gotten that out of JSA.

>Pic related for example seems to cop a lot of flack on this board, but I can't say I know why
Have you experimented with fucking reading those threads
Have you