When did bad art became the term at marvel?

When did bad art became the term at marvel?

They started publishing lots of lighthearted books.
In the minds of creators and editors who deserve zero respect, that means they don't have to try very hard.

Not reading Marvel

Man now i'm legit curious on what the sales of Squirrel Girl are.

I don't remember the exact number, but it's really low. Like somewhere between Captain Marvel and America low.

That's fantastic.

But unfortunately it still won't get Marvel to drop the dead weight.

Marvel has favored stylized art for a while as DC has been known to stick with house style more often. The problem is that Marvel has been picking up people from tumblr and those working on webcomics to work for them because they want new readers and possibly because they are cheaper.

Is this real? Please tell me this is some fan comic.

They gave it an Eisner award

I'd at least give the writing a chance if the art style weren't so utterly repugnant

>Readers like Gwenpool better than Squirrel Girl as a comedy-oriented story
>Gwenpool has better art than Squirrel Girl
>Gwenpool has better writing than Squirrel Girl
>Still easier to find Squirrel Girl at comic retailers

Goddammit Marvel, why do you make it so easy to hate you?

>stylize art
>"stylize"
>"art"

You're missing a bunch or "arguably" and "imo" 's in there son

the early 90's

I don't care about the art, what the fuck did that writer do to Galactus? The Eater of Worlds has turned into a joke, someone needs to make him threatening again.

Squirrel Girl is a comedy book so serious characters are often written slightly out of character for comedic effect.

Galactus is still doing epic cosmic shit in regular books.

Hellcat #3. It was a guest artist, though. Not that the regular artist was that much better, but...

>using Squirrel Girl as an example

That's supposed to be bad.

I fucking love when comics are interrupted by a page of this shit, that's what I buy them for for sure.

For fuck sake. I could excuse the art if the writing was great, but look at that garbage, it reflects exactly what the art is. Fucking gender studies dialog with a celestial. How quirky.
Just cause you look like tumblr trash you don't need to act like tumblr trash.

So can any collect their thoughts for me? What stops this artwork from being visually unappealing? What's the first or second thing you would change about the art (it could be characters/backgrounds/panels et cetera)? And what are other pet-peeves about the art?

>became the term
Learn fucking English.

>someone was paid to write this
>someone was paid to draw this
>someone actually approved this and thought it was good enough to sell
>someone actually spent their money on this

>Galactus is still doing epic cosmic shit in regular books.
Like in Jean Grey book?

When the SJW's took over and hired and fired based on who had the correct opinions and said the correct buzzwords.

>Teen Jean puts Galactus on the ground
I hate Hopeless so much.

What's the matter, user? Not enough steroid muscles and pouches?

I miss Marvel Adventures

Why did they cancel that line anyways?

I will never not be mad

>When did bad art became the term at marvel?

You could ask the same question of modern western cartoons.

What does this expression convey?

>so fucking done with this shitty ass writing

Disbelief and disappointment in himself at being struck down by a mere mortal so easily, with a begrudging sense of respect

>give the writing a chance
>Ryan North
lol no

>slightly out of character
>first issue is Squirrel Girl beating Kraven by juggling him until he gets confused and gives up

>mutants were a mistske

>jobbed to a teenage girl

You could, but it wouldn't be the topic of the discussion. We've narrowed the scope to Marvel, so try contributing with a relevant comment. :^)

>things I do for my paycheck

Is that Hector Hammond cosplaying as Galactus?

>Still easier to find Squirrel Girl at comic retailers
That's because no one buys those books so they're just piling up.

Faggot.

Oh for fuck sake that writing

>hat's the first or second thing you would change about the art
I'd make it look as beautiful as Marvel Zombies vs. Army of Darkness

>That blatantly saggy, anti-male gaze ass
Absolutely terrible.

I didn't say I liked it. I said pick out the one thing you would change.

Weren't they focusing on the Ultimate line at the time?

Stylized art is fine, it's just that the art is just bad. You can't even call it tumblr art because Tumblr makes way better shit than this most of the time.

>tfw this used to be what Marvel considered stylized art

>:I

It's very cartoony and not in a good way, but in a "doodled in math notebook" kind of way. The backgrounds are abstract and change colors every panel, so it looks lazy and disorganized. Honestly, I'm not sure what one thing could fix this shit.

No, they killed to make way for the cartoon tie-ins.
The EMH book was actually good, but after a year, it and USM (and all subsequent cartoon tie-ins) were made using screencaps.

Now where have I seen that before?

The trades sell well outside of Diamond. Little kids like shit as long as the colors are bright.

You know you have a shitty loved comic in your past.

It seems like Galactus jobs every other time he appears just to show how ridiculous the situation is.

What happened to you, Marvel? You used to be cool.

The new Squirrel Girl.

Squirrel Girl used to be one of my favorite characters back in the GLA days. I can't stand her current incarnation.

No, everything he said is pretty much objective truth. Nothing was worse art than Squirrel Girl and few things have worse writing, Gwenpool not being one of them.

>>Gwenpool has better art than Squirrel Girl
>>Gwenpool has better writing than Squirrel Girl
not really, everybody has an ugly face in squirrel girl but having the same generic anime face and expresions in Gwenpool is not better

In fact the artwork in Gwenpool looks a lot like Questionable Content.

Also the writting is equally bad for both books, I mean post a FUNNY page from Gwenpool if that's not the case

>Nothing was worse art than Squirrel Girl

sometimes Gwenpool has WORSE art

Don't get the Gwenpool faggots riled up. They are a sad bunch.

Ramos, Sandoval, Hepburn, Andrade etc
that's stylized
this looks like doodles from my junior high notebook

this is how you trigger a Gwenpool fag: Ask them to post a FUNNY page from the COMEDIC book that is Gwenpool, then they will argue that the book was meant to be a serious drama and was never meant to make people laugh

Only for filler chapter.

>In fact the artwork in Gwenpool looks a lot like Questionable Content.

And Kingdom Come looks like CAD, what's your point?

so? you can't argue that Gwenpool has the worst artwork in all of marvel

that it looks generic, bland and liveless

>somebody thought it was worth nominating for an Eisner
>enough people agreed and it won

He was surprisingly not shit and even somewhat decent on Jughead. Same with Tieri for Jughead: The Hunger.

I wonder how many other shit writers can be put on Jughead and actually write something that isn't complete garbage, for once.

Sienkiewicz's art on that book was too damn good. New Mutants is a criminally underrated book.

>became the term
when did you think yourself qualified to use the white man's internet

>New Mutants is a criminally underrated book
No, you're a fucking millennial who wasn't around when it was published and making news everywhere, but because YOU didn't personally experience it, it's "underrated," Captain Mandela.

I'm not a millennial and I was reading it as it came out, sport. In fact, I have the entire run in singles.

I'm talking about it being underrated now. I never see it get mentioned or talked about, even when people are talking about great past runs.

Stop mansplaining, user. The fact that you think artwork drawn by a woman is bad is evidence that the patriarchy is still suffocating the industry with its boys-only club mentality. How dare you.

>making news everywhere

are you fucking serious

Was that the same issue with Gwenpool and Ghost Rider? Because that was straight up the worst art I've ever seen published.

Her tail's in there.

>you can't argue that Gwenpool has the worst artwork in all of marvel
Oh yes I sure as hell can! I don't even like the parts not done by Gurihiru but they're still miles above Squirrel Girl and Hellcat.

He's laffin inside, trying to guess if what just happened will be swept under the rug or retconned.

In the 60s

Did you have a mullet?
I only have 98-100. I just about died when I found them in the back of an old longbox.

Back when he first started doing the art for New Mutants, Sienkiewicz's work was denounced by fanboys as "blurism bullshit," "artsy crap" and so on.

It was still a huge book for marvel, and lits of people liked it.
I dislike the lack of backgrounds, honestly.

>Getting mad over a Dream sequence

Wait a second...
Something tells me the focus of this thread isn't on the art

we all do, friend.

I still remember the days when that kind of art was used in capes with a parodic intention in mind.

They really are. Worst then aquafags.

You're right, the art could be bearable if the writing wasn't also really bad.

If anything, dream sequences should look better and more vivid than the "real thing".

>Oh yes I sure as hell can! I don't even like the parts not done by Gurihiru but they're still miles above Squirrel Girl and Hellcat.

the writting on Gwenpool is as bland as Hellcat, even Squirrel Girl does different shit during most issues while Gwenpool is just a bunch of really cliche ideas

Yea this looks more like 8th graders early attempts that they are horribly ashamed of a couple years later.

But

Does the fact that someone was professionally paid for this fill you with despair?

Or hope that these days absolutely anyone can get a professional gig?

But it clearly is intended to be parody. It's a joke character arguing with Galactus over a non sequiter topic.

do you even realize what your response was to the assertion you paste eater.

>posting a Simpsons pic = mad
You must be posting for the sake of posting.

Is this CAD?

When they started letting women into art positions instead of just spellchecking.