What does Sup Forums think of Holden Caulfield?

What does Sup Forums think of Holden Caulfield?

Phonies get out!

I actually related to him a lot when I read catcher but ever one else hated him.

tell us more

no, this ain't /lit/. unless there is a Catcher comic I don't know about, this thread shouldnt exist

My dad read this book when he was in high school, and he's said multiple times before that he always thought Holden was a little shit.

oh come on, don't be like that

Your dad sounds like a big shit.

He's a huge phony, I can see why people in this site relate to him.

I was basically holden in highschool, my english teachers would even call me holden sometimes

I do love that book though. the part that actually references the tittle is very near and dear to me

is phony just an earlier form for normies

*hipster

Holden Caulfield is basically the early model for a contrarian hipster, in whatever form they might manifest in, nerds included.

Holden a shit, and I'm honestly surprised that more critics don't read him as autistic in some way. Also what does this have to do with Sup Forums?

People are too black-and-white with him. He's an asshole and a liar but also empathetic and idealistic. A growing teen who idolizes childhood as innocent and pure while scorning adulthood as cynical and "fake."
His moments with his little sister are the best parts of the book.

wow this thread is pretty cool

is this what /lit/ is like? I always pictured it full of shit snobs and dookie designers

>he doesnt know

tell me, friend

I thought he was a fun character overall. His brooding hit a nice midpoint between genuine insight and the kind of whining you'd expect from a maladjusted teenager.

And since I'm kind of a sucker for roadtrip stories, it made the character even better.

I think the only point where I didn't like him was when he shared his ideal calling, being a "catcher in the rye". It was the same feeling I get whwn someone does something cringeworthy irl

>I always pictured it full of shit snobs and dookie designers
you are correct

Fun fact, the author of this book has continued to write and has published many, under different names, because he doesn't want to be famous and wants to be left the fuck alone.

Sounds like he wanted to fuck his little sister.

go to /lit/ and find out

He's dead.

He's me.

As long as we're here, anons, could you explan the last chapter of Gravity's Rainbow to me?

Pretty much the only time I didn't kinda wanna kick him in the balls was when he wiped the word "FUCK" off of a wall on his baby sister's school, and the speech that drops the title of the book.
All of the other characters he met throughout the book were more interesting than him.

well user did say he wanted to be left alone...

even the roastie?

well yeah thats kinda the point, he's so full of himself and everyone he runs into is more interesting than him, but he still thinks he's the shit, or in the parlance of the time "the bee's knee's"

otherwise known as an arrogant douchebag.

/lit/ is so much better than Sup Forums it's not even funny

>/lit/ is so much better than Sup Forums it's not even funny
Good, then you can go back there you pretentious kite chasing fart sniffing asshole

And you can go back to
reddit

OHHH NOOOOO HE GOT ME I SAID SOMETHING MEAN TO HIM HE DOESN'T LIKE SO HE KNEW I WAS FROM REDDIT DAMN THE ETERNAL REDDIT WORSE THAN Sup Forums HOW DO THEY ALWAYS KNOW ONE DAY I'LL SUCCEED IN MY ULTIMATE DREAM TO DESTROY Sup Forums

kill yourself. Reddit is not a magic word that makes me wrong. Incidentally, I notice you didn't try to refute at all.

like clockwork

>still no refutation
In your heart of hearts you know it to be true. /lit/ like /sci/ and Sup Forums is just a containment board for hipsters.

t.brainlet

I liked Holden a lot and felt for him, though I never related to his character which seems to be why most people like him.

Instead of muti Star threads you get many threads about a dead author who only made one note worthy work.

When I had to read it back in high school I couldn't really put myself in his shoes. I had it shitty but not like him.

Now I could imagine myself with the same shit happening to me but I don't care about him or the book anymore.

I read it in my 20s and didn't see what was so edgy about it. It's such a big deal to so many people, but it really didn't come across as the "Johnny the Homocidal Maniac" of it's time that I was taught it was.

this book is fucking stupid, pretentious trite.

Holden caulfield is a holier-than-thou bum who accomplishes nothing, has no goals in life, and yet still steadfastly believes himself to be better than men who have careers and families. The one action he set out to do - hire a prostitute - wasn't even successful, as he decided to wax poetic instead of getting his dick wet, and the final message of the book was that 'having nebulous aspirations is more important and better than having a family and self-actualization'.

Fuck this book, and fuck the retards that have propelled it into a narrative classic.

There's a rule that no board can have good discussions about it's designated topic, so /lit/ has civilized discussions about comic books while this thread would have degenerated into death threats and foot fetishism by now.

Strictly only because that one guy shot Lennon. It was also pretty risque for it's time

Now, are you SURE the book was telling us that Caulfield was right?

There is a Catcher influenced cartoon.

We don't have /lit/ threads here very often, let it slide.

/tg/ is the exception that proves the rule, but yeah

That's an anime and it dealt with more than just catcher. Honestly I feel like it was jut used arbitrarily compared to the other themes it was using. It never really did talk about the book so much as the phrase.

Same with me! At first I despised him and thought he was a terrible person but as time went on I realized that I share so much with him. My friends don't think share the sentiment.

/tg/ is terrible.

>Sup Forums Godzilla threads
>They're great, lots of good stuff
>decide to go on Sup Forums to check if they have Godzilla threads
>the one they have is nothing but annoying bitching

Now THAT is a lie

If by terrible you mean that almost every other board is worse than terrible then yeah I can agree

Of all the boards I frequent, /tg/ is the one least likely to be drowned in random political fights. It still happens, but not nearly as often as Sup Forums or /his/.

/tg/ hasn't had their board topic become an active battlefield in the culture wars, unlike Sup Forums Sup Forums, and as /his/ has been for decades.

Sup Forums insurgents are pushing it pretty hard now though, mostly at the reeee roasties angle.

We have a few threads a day now.

Our corruption rating is climbing due to proximity, but there are no agents or enemy armies spreading it in our province yet

South Park did The Catcher in the Rye as well when they wrote The Poop that took a Pee and then blamed it on Butters

I feel the same way about Sup Forums tokusatsu threads
>Sup Forums toku thread
>People actual discussing tokusatsu and giving recommendations
>/m/ toku threads
>Era war bullshit

>mentioning Sup Forums
If this thread wasn't doomed before you've doomed it now

Just because the book absolutely nailed teenage wangst that kids could identify with doesn't mean that you're supposed to agree with or even like Holden.

Was his angst not my angst? Was his angst specific to his time, or to a certain class of people, or to a certain mode of thinking, the way Ayn Rand's is, or Brett Eston Ellis'?

Where do ducks in park go in the winter, Sup Forums?

>literally me
I hate that phony so goddamn much.

I loved Catcher in the Rye when I read it in high school, and I still do today, two decades later. I think a part of me that will always relate to Holden and his angst, his horrible decision-making, and his terrible personality. He was a teenager through and through, a smarmy fucker who thought he had it all figured out when he didn't know shit from dick. I remember a lot of people not liking the book (citing Holden as the primary reason why), but I never once thought you were supposed to like him, or even relate to him - he was an archetypal teen, after all. Awkward. A loser. Not all that bright. But goddamn, deep down, he's a sad soul who doesn't really know what he wants, or how to get it. A great tragic character, even if he wasn't a traditional one.

He's just a slightly more intelligent than average teenager that doesn't know what he wants to do with his life and is rejected by his peers. It just manifests in different ways for different people and times. Shinji Ikari from NGE is what happens when he blames himself rather than others for his isolation for instance.
I'd image that Sup Forums attracts a lot of Holden Caulfields, of course doing that ironically provides them with the one thing they really need, community.

He's a cunt

>I'd image that Sup Forums attracts a lot of Holden Caulfields
here's one now

>I'd image that Sup Forums attracts a lot of Holden Caulfields, of course doing that ironically provides them with the one thing they really need, community.

That's a really really good point. Thank you user.

Whenever Sup Forums is busy the shitposting on other boards ironically dies down.

I am pretty sure on Sup Forums it is a relatively small number of people. The threads are extremely samey, but Sup Forums has a weak board culture in the first place so they're more easily noticed, replied to and assimilated. Also very poor moderation, much worse than /tg/ and /lit/.

Remember everyone who thinks Holden Caulfield is shit is the most Holden Caulfield of all.

Who /the laughing man/ here? That story fucked me up when I first read it.

>think Holden is a cunt
>become Holden

>think Holden is a typical teen
>but that teens are shit
>become Holden

>think that Holden is an amusingly cynical character who fixates on concrete rules and hypocrisy, but make no excuses for him being a little shit
>become Holden

FUCK
Is there no way out of this trap!?

Some terrible book about teen angst that is only well known because schools make you read it.

t.Holden

Holden's family is rich and detached from him, they don't even realize he's still having a really hard time coping with the untimely death of his younger brother. He's absolutely still a prick, but he also has a lot of problems that the adults in his life aren't addressing and that he's not bringing up himself.

It's neat to see a Catcher in the Rye thread somewhere other than /lit/ where it immediately devolves into this meme they have where someone interprets that Holden molested his sister.

He pinched her bum.

I found him laughably relatable. Holden is a self-righteous little shit with no goals for the future. That was me in high-school.