When did you first begin to doubt The Walt Disney Company's common sense/integrity?

Everyone's got their own reasons to hate Disney--even their most ardent fans. It seems like every three steps they make, they make six missteps, whether it's scheduling shows in crappy time slots and then cancelling them they only get decent ratings, or shutting down beloved Disneyland and WDW rides. So what disappointment gave birth to YOUR cynicism towards The Walt Disney Company?

When I found out the hard push to make Home on the Range by executives when the animators on staff thought it was garbage but were threatened into silence for their dissent. It was quite literally the sacrificial cow used to destroy the 2D department because of subpar returns of a few movies beforehand and ushered in a bunch of CG garbage afterwards.

Special award goes to the asshole putting Winnie the Pooh's 2011 movie (the very last theatrical 2D release) around the same release date as fucking Harry Potter.

don't forgot them having The Princess and The Frog was released on the same week as James Cameron's Avatar

I was disappointed that they wrote off Zootopia before it was even released. It was hard finding decent merchandise to buy for my nieces.

I watched a lot of old cartoons as a kid and comparing Warner and MGM cartoons to Mickey Mouse and Goofy cartoons made those old Disney shorts seem a lot worse in comparison because they weren't as funny.

Stuff like from the Renaissance era like Little Mermaid, Lion King and Beauty and The Beast didn't do much to dispel that notion in my mind.

Definitely there handling of Tron, specifically Tron Uprising. That was a phenomenal show with a lot going for it, but they stick it in on a bad timeslot on a channel that doesn't get that much traffic anyway. It was hobbled out of the gate before they even gave it a chance, and all because Disney manifestly doesn't have a single fucking clue how to handle Tron as a property
I think that last bit is the worst part, because the core of the reason they don't know how to handle Tron is that its an unexpected success mostly with young adults. As a company Walt Disney doesn't seem to understand how to handle things outside of what they thought would happen, and that's just sad in and of itself

Both of these (Winnie the Pooh and Princess and the Frog's scheduling) are Lasseter's fault, no doubt. He claims to hold a special place in his heart for 2D animation, but nothing is more important than the bottom line, and the bottom line for him is his legacy of 3D animation.

When their television channel started airing glitter-covered tween garbage and hasn't stopped for 20 years. I can't wait for the end of cable because of them.

>As a company Walt Disney doesn't seem to understand how to handle things outside of what they thought would happen, and that's just sad in and of itself

God, this pisses me off. It's the 21st century and corporate bigwigs are still too fixated on target demographics to realize that, actually, gaining an audience with ANY demographic is a good thing. I'll admit I never even watched Tron Uprising, but it depresses me that there will likely never be a third Tron film.

I find them kind if soulless in general. Their classic period was polished to a radiant shine, but the actual stories told were nothing. I often feel this about Disney to this day.

Not sure what you mean by gynocentric propaganda in their animated films, but the heavy-handed messaging in Zootopia about racism turned me off from ever waning to see it again.

Absolutely, and the fact that Uprising was barely given a chance despite some fucking stellar animation, writing and performances probably contributed to the fact we'll never get a third Tron film now
I get that Disney is primarily orientated towards kids escapist fantasies, but you'd think that acquiring Marvel and Star Wars would mean they were open to the idea of making money off the parents as well, or even just taking money off older kids

I know this is a troll thread, but might as well mention that Disney's constant attempts to monopolize the feature animation industry is really scummy.

Though to be fair, didn't Uprising get cancelled before the Marvel or Star Wars acquisitions?

It's really not meant to be. I really do believe that any sane person who consumes Disney media must have at least one reason to be angry at them.

Maybe it's just that people who congregate on internet message boards at all hours are simply complainers.

I know that's too simple and concise, but that's my theory.

Yeah, that would be too simple and concise an explanation. Disney really does make a lot of decisions that seem to defy common sense and fly in the face of what the general public wants.

It doesn't look like we're ever going to see 2d animation make a comeback though. Everything is going 3d these days...

I think letting go of Chris Sanders was a big mistake. Lasseter says Sanders has a problem with story pacing and that kind of pissed me off because I feel like Sanders was a story artist longer than Lasseter was (And his position at Pixar has severely inflated his ego the past decade) but even without Disney, he helped turn How To Train Your Dragon around from complete hell and did great work on The Croods. Not to mention Lilo & Stitch is one of their best movies, both story and visually. And they milked the shit out of even after letting Sanders go, who STILL provided the voice for Stitch even after being let go from Bolt.

I would've liked to see what American Dog would've been because Bolt, while it has a couple of good scenes, is really cookie-cutter, even for Disney's standards. Sanders fucking kills at small, intimate stories with their own unique brand of coziness and Lasseter letting him go after like, 15+ years of loyal employment really sucks.

I agree, but I think Lasseter is (thankfully) beginning to take a step back from his day-to-day meddling in WDAS and Pixar output. He did remove himself as director of Toy Story 4, after all. So with that in mind, previously estranged talent like Sanders might come back some day. God knows I'd love to see another film of Lilo and Stitch's caliber, even if it's 3D (though the less said about The Croods, the better).

Every large corporation does this.

Chicken Little led to me discovering the whole "Disney pushed lemmings off a cliff" story. Admittedly, this has more to do with Hollywood's shitty practices towards animal treatment in older times, and nowadays I just think it's the only funny joke in Chicken Little, but that was the moment where I began to do more research about the shadier stuff at Disney.

>m-muh contrarians!
Fuck off back to Rick and Morty threads.

When I read how they keep lobbying to push back copy right laws while simultaneously making mad stacks of cash from films based on creative works in the public domain.

>making mad stacks of cash from films based on creative works in the public domain.
I don't see any problem with this.

That's why you needed the entire sentence into account

That's because you didn't read the first part of the sentence.

Considering that Sup Forums hates Moore because of LoEG, I had to post what I posted.

I admire a lot of the creative work and some of the sheer scale of what they pull, but I've never held any illusions that they where the bastions of anything.

When Michael Eisner got ahold of things.

The constant stream of shitty tween sitcoms.

>It doesn't look like we're ever going to see 2d animation make a comeback though. Everything is going 3d these days...
Not in the Anglosphere, no.
There are still bastions of it in Europe, East Asia, and South America though.

Yup. Anything from Cartoon Saloon in particular is worth checking out.

When they started putting out those awful VHS sequels to their classic films. Little ten year old me suddenly realized the House of Mouse wasn't gumdrops and rainbows.

it's more what happened to thos stars after they finished thier tween life cycle that got me to hate disney and Nick.

Being born in 1975.

Let's go to the video store. There's no chains yet, this is 1982 and you're 7. The shop and even the concept is brand new. A VCR runs a few hundred dollars, and after the annual TV showing of The Wizard of Oz was preemted for a basketball game, your parents are interested. They picked one up at Service Merchandise and now they want access to more movies. There's a kids' section. You get to pick out a movie to watch. You are in charge of the TV for the whole family. There's a lot of tapes with Mickey on them! Let's see what they are.

The Devil and Max Devlin (Bill Cosby is the devil)
Hot Lead and Cold Feet (Don Knotts western)
Gus (Gus is a football playing mule)
Amy (Girls. Yuck.)
Blackbeard's Ghost (This one's okay somehow.)
The Adventures of Chip and Dale (ohmygosh, actual cartoons!)

Plan on watching a lot of Chip and Dale. And Blackbeard. But for now Disney is keeping the good stuff for theatrical release and you get shorts compilations and shitty Buena Vista live action from the 70s.

Oh, and anything new in theaters, which is now rare, is just depressing. I hated Great Mouse Detective. I hated Oliver and Company. I still haven't seen The Black Cauldron. The older movies, even when they're scary as hell, are entertaining. The new ones...aren't.

I never expect much out of Disney. It's always a pleasant surprise when they deliver.

God I wish I had your childhood. The earliest Disney film I can remember seeing in theaters was Aladdin.

I feel obliged to say I think GMD is a better watch as The Tragedy of Proffessor Rattigan. He has panache and charisma and a point, and it's awful to watch throw it away on someone as worthless as Basil. God, Basil sucks.

It was pretty good. Be advised, 80s cartoons sucked. We all watched Looney Toons and Tom and Jerry and Popeye and Pink Panther and even Harvey shorts from before we were born. And Sunday night was Wonderful Word of Disney. The only new cartoon I remember was the Smurfs, and that was for girls. The Smurfs were awful.

Well, I am old enough to remember Wonderful World of Disney. Michael Eisner seemed like such a great guy then. He really sold you on the Disney magic and made you believe that he believed in it himself.

Apart from Miley Cyrus, I'm drawing a blank here. Who else was wrecked by tween stardom?

Netflix disagrees, at least. I hope they keep it up.

>but you'd think that acquiring Marvel and Star Wars would mean they were open to the idea of making money off the parents as well, or even just taking money off older kids

They have Star Wars now, as far as they're concerned they DON'T have to try anymore. They already have the franchise for which to make billions off of from the parent/adult demographic.

The Home on the Range we got is actually the bastardized version of a more interesting "Western ghost story" premise where Alameda Slim and his gang were literal Ghost Riders in the Sky. Their scheme was to stampede herds of cattle off cliffsides to spite the ranchers because they had been trampled to death or something like that.

Original protagonists were some cowardly calf and that jackrabbit with a pegleg that made it into the final film. Was canned for being 2spooky and because Eisner wanted to distance the movie away from "Cows are food" thing because he wanted the movie to be Happy Meal Toy friendly somehow.

Disney Wars

>people don't like what I like
>they're trolling waaahh!

Rattigan please leave

Doesn't this movie have hypnotized cows?

Rampant pedophilia in the TV shows department.

That's Nickelodeon

I think I remember going to see the 2011 movie, wasn't it just a short that was already on TV? I remember leaving 45 minutes later because it was over.

The Famous Jet Jackson killed himself.

It was 60 minutes and all new, with a 7 minute short in front of it. It's just that the "Gang thinks Christopher Robin was taken by a monster" plot was sort of already done with Pooh's Great Adventure in the 90s.

>Pooh's Great Adventure
That's probably why.

I think I only remembered because the fuckers at the Cineplex charged us full price for a 60 minute movie.

But he was famous

This isn't when I first doubted them, but I hate what they're doing with Star Wars.
>give the comic rights to Marvel
>release movies every year
>give the game rights to EA
>kill TCW and replace it with the Inferior rebels

I feel your pain, I went to see it because I heard it was good but it was pretty fucking forgettable. Animation was great though, and I loved the sequence where Rabbit's was fantasizing about being praised for helping someone.

He just my city's football club. Is it fucked?

*bought

I didn't like how they slowly turned the Disney Channel into a live action dump, cartoons were getting less time slots or were moved to Toon Disney/Disney XD (channels you had to pay for to get). This in turn hurt the cartoons because they we'rent getting the views they should have, which prompted them to make more live action shows. Now days this isn't a problem because we have the internet but I will still hold them at fault for that.