Folklore/Mythology in Comics

So we know that no one really cares if people make stories about things like Greek or Norse Mythology. Thor and Hercules are members of the Avengers after all. Hell, there's even been things from Christian mythology thrown in there too like Angels and that doesn't get complaints either. So what other Mythologies could have characters or creatures that could be re purposed as super heroes and placed in a comic?

I'd probably make something based on the Navajo Hero Twins- Monster Slayer and Born For Water:

>Their father is the Sun and mother is the representation of the seasons
>Wear creepy masks and armor
>Wield bows that shoot arrows of Lightning and Sun Beams
>Also carry a shield and 2 swords for CQC
>Can generate a rainbow that they can use to fly on for fast traveling
>Monster Slayer has Super Strength and Born For Water can make barriers and protection spells

They're basically Navajo versions of Link from Zelda but were created thousands of years before Nintendo was a thing. They get my vote

Other urls found in this thread:

userscloud.com/qjk4ru1k0e4i
tusfiles.com/pgarz1zdcr9t
userscloud.com/80phaqeoj7gq
tusfiles.com/c1yixzt7q4k0
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Cuchulainn-audio.ogg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've always thought the freischutz was cool, basically he makes a deal with the devil and gets 6 bullets that will always hit their target, but then the seventh bullet is controlled by the devil
it'd be a bit hard to extend just 7 bullets into any story of real length though

Devi is kinda cool. She's a demi god and fights off evil Indian gods

I would also have Baron Samedi as a character. I don't know what exactly he'd do besides magic and stuff but I've always like his overall aesthetic and think he had a very cool design that never gets copied all that much even though its great

Never heard about him. Whats his deal?

Nameless is based in part on the Hero Twins of the Popol Vuh tradition.

>that camel toe

you should read some Grant Morrison user

it got adapted as an opera but was based in german/bohemian folklore, the freischutz was some woodsman who had to win a marksmanship contest in order to marry the girl he loved, and he was competing against a noble who was a really good shot
some guy who had made a deal with the devil before and was about to be dragged to hell gave the freischutz the magic bullets in order to get more time on earth, and instructed him on how to use them, using up all but two
so the big contest comes around and the king who's hosting orders the two competitors to first fire at a bird, then to shoot the target, which makes the freischutz lose his last magic bullet, leaving him with only the devil-controlled one
when he fires, the bullet hits his love, in the opera she survives and in the folklore i'm pretty sure it kills her

Sounds like something from a miniseries from Dark Horse

It'd work as a good movie in the right hands, though.

I could see a seven issue mini coming out of it.

My only issue with this, is that if any of these heroes get big (which I hope they do), they will end up getting nerfed and forced to play second fiddle to heroes like Batman and Spiderman for REASONS.

What's your thought on comics about gods and/or legendary heroes that AREN'T capeshit?

Off the top of my head I know "The Legend of Cú Chulainn" by Will Sliney. And of course, Alex Alice's "Siegfried."

There needs to be more fantasy adventure comics in general. Nintendo could make a killing by making comics based of Mario/Zelda/Metroid/Kirby/Kid Icarus et al.

How good is Siegfried? Does it stick close to the story?

But Cu Chulann hair was gold, red, and black...

Nintendo isn't fond of branching out ever since the Mario movie (which despite its rocky as hell production I legitimately enjoyed.) It's a shame. The Nintendo Power comics were fun.

The version of the story it sticks closest to is the Ring Cycle, but there's a lot of departure even from that. I don't give it flak for that though, because what it DOES do, it does really well. I love it and do recommend it.

The art's sold me, and I don't mind liberties provided those liberties are good. I'll definitely take a look. I've been craving something along these lines.

I *think* these links still work

Siegfried Vol. 01 (2012) (digital) (Minutemen-InnerDemons)
userscloud.com/qjk4ru1k0e4i
tusfiles.com/pgarz1zdcr9t

Siegfried Vol. 02 The Valkyrie (2013) (digital) (Minutemen-InnerDemons)
userscloud.com/80phaqeoj7gq
tusfiles.com/c1yixzt7q4k0

Siegfried 3 - Twilight of the Gods - Fan Translation.cbz
file factory /file/6zbqbqyghdfl/

The third volume was finally released in English in June. It and Vol. 2 are available for reasonable prices from most book selling websites. Vol. 1 appears to be out of print, so you'd be spending upwards of $60 for a used copy easily. It was originally in French.

Haven't found a digital copy of Vol. 3's official release yet. The fan translation serves, but it doesn't include the interviews and bonus stuff.

My nigga. You've gone above and beyond.

Some Fearsome Critters folklore comics could be nice; it worked for the Tailypo in Hillbilly and the Hidebehind in Gravity Falls.

Jesus saves the marvel universe!

>Navajo Hero Twins

The Marans had those too.

can't believe it hasn't been mentioned before. But the Metabarons is basically a story about mythology.

Sky Doll is another book about mythology, as their divine being is reborn in a sexdoll

I absolutely loved Metabarons

The Hellboy universe does this a lot, they borrow from, Russian, European, Asian, Mexican, African and a whole bunch of other culture's mythologies and folklore.

It's probably been done in the east, but maybe a western graphic novel adaption of Journey to the West?

>Cú Chulainn

What IS the correct way? I know Cu is like koo, but beyond that Gaelic is as approachable as an actual Irishman.

I know it's probably wrong but I have the most fun saying it KU KALLEN

Fuck, that sounds reasonable. It's like Siobhan being pronounced "sheh-vawn." Sure, it's pretty and makes verbal sense, but the fucking spelling is all over.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Cuchulainn-audio.ogg

Ku-helen from the sound of it, but with a bit of a gutteral h.

Nice, thanks user. I've always been curious but never irked me enough to seek out the answer.

Anyone have any more? I'd be surprised if there's no Beowulf comic out there. Hopefully one where he doesn't fuck the monster like movies always have it.

Thor, Hercules, Angela and Monster Slayer team up and form a new team called

THE MYTHBUSTERS!

No all Epics need to include fucking a Monster Woman and producing a demi-man warrior son.
Well....atleast the first part.

Didn't Etrigan have ties to King Arthur? So you've got him in DC.

I still like to think that Batman and Superman are officially still knights of the round table. I don't give a shit if it got retconned.

bump

This is a potentially good thread.

Someone posted some metroid comics from Nintendo Power a few months ago and they were really good, though they aren't canon now. They need to go to Boom or Archie to license a few of their characters. Though they're Japanese so it's more likely to be mangas

Kike Killin

This is a shameless bump that hopefully will guarantee angry LONDON replies

Considering we're talking about Cú Chulainn here, shouldn't it be
ULSTER?
L
S
T
E
R