Why are current cartoons so ugly?

Why are current cartoons so ugly?

The audiences with more money don't care for shit.

CALARTS

Women

SJWs

I know you're trolling, but there's some truth to this. They won't all be CalArts students, but there are tremendous numbers of fan artist Tumblerinas who will no doubt become the next generation of cartoon storyboarders and showrunners. Gaze upon the horror of pic related and know that this is the darkest timeline.

It's just the current trend in art. It takes awhile to change. But once some new blood gets into the industry we should start seeing some changes. I know some people will doompaul the SJWs are here to stay forever but the new generation always despises the old generation and everything they've accomplished. This is without exception throughout history no matter the dogma or agenda. So I'm optimistic on what the future of animation has in store for us.

Why couldn't Mother be a more obscure game in the west? Why...?

mystery inc ain't coming back

I know, right? That's something I never thought I'd wish, but here we are.

Personally, I blame Homestuck.. Once that fandom discovered EarthBound (apparently it was an influence on the author), it was all over.

ACK this is too foul...

>DO NOT STEAL
why the fuck would anyone want to steal that pile of shit

It gets worse. This is Ana from MOTHER 1/EarthBound Beginnings. Presumably drawn as a black girl so the artist could feel better about the lack of black representation in video games.

Why indeed.

What in the fuck am I looking at

What in God's name even implies that either one of those characters are transgender? I mean, you do you for creative sake but not a single goddamn thing about the art itself displays that.

Tumblr generation rich kids get their parents to pay them their CalArts degree, while simultaneously producers like Cartoon Network are giving smaller budgets to shows.

And also tighter budgets and tighter deadlines breeding a generation of animators who can't actually draw very well and use motion tweening as a crutch way too fucking much.

>Current cartoons are ugly
>What is Clasky-Csupo?

This is fucking hideous. Why sharp teeth?

Also, Ness isn't Japanese American. He's from fucking Eagleland.

It's cheaper so they save a lot of money

Easy answer: CalArts, tumblr, SJWs, etc etc.

Long real answer: Nostalgia-coddled millennials now being old enough to predominantly make up the hand-drawn/2D animation field carrying out their trade by way of revitalized interpretations of things that brought them joy in their childhoods or otherwise inspired them to become animators (the largest seemingly being late 80's/early 90's anime), plus a combined sense of appreciation for minimalist aesthetics and an ever-present Golden Age fallacy that allows them to draw inspiration from 1920's and 30's simplistic, noodle-armed animation.

They didn't read it.

CalArts coupled with a generation of truly mediocre artists who never learned the craft at a decent level (this sadly holds true with the new generation of comics artists as well).

At least the Scooby Doo fans chose not to watch the shit that was 'Be cool', which is why it's been quietly cancelled.

>CalArts coupled with a generation of truly mediocre artists who never learned the craft at a decent level (this sadly holds true with the new generation of comics artists as well).
It goes back decades, desu.

>why sharp teeth?
Because, as you yourself noted, it's hideous. Tumblrinas are drawn to whatever is the opposite of conventional attitudes towards beauty and sexuality. It's the reason Homestuck, with its ugly character designs, was such an immediate hit when it began almost a decade ago. These are sweaty, unpopular teens with gender/body image issues who feel they need a safe space from people who might judge them.

Been ugly since the 00s. Ugly leftists are trying to make their characters be their ugly self inserts.

>bi
>a child
What? Do these people not realize how sexuality works?

Buckle up, kids. Shit's about to get real.

The first generation of animators spent decades working out the best ways to draw something that was appealing, "solid' (volumetric) and easy to move in three dimensions. In the 1920s and 1930s, this started with the "pears, spheres and tubes" style (think "Steamboat Willie") but by the 1940s had evolved into much more complex drawings and forms (think "Golden Age" Bugs Bunny). By the later 1940s and 1950s, the now mature animators started to get more experimental and stylized, while still maintaining the same basic fundamentals they had refined over the previous decades. The two styles that seemed to get really popular were either "modern" and angular or purposely amateurish looking (think of UPA, early H-B, Avery's and Jones' later shorts or "Toot, Whistle, Plunk & Boom"). This stuff is deceptive, because while it looks stylish and minimalist, that's just the surface, at their core they still use the same techniques as the 1940s stuff. Unfortunately, this first generation retired (or died) in the 1960s and 1970s without passing on their knowledge (this coincided with the general rejection of tradition in that era). You then had a new generation who didn't want to bother learning the fundamentals of drawing and simply copied the superficial aspects of the later, stylized stuff. Cartoons never really recovered from this. Now it's difficult to convince young cartoonists to sit and learn because 1) it's a lot of hard, tedious work and 2) they think that it will force them to only draw in a "1940s style". They don't realize that it's simply providing a tried and true foundation for them to build off of. It's the equivalent of learning how to hold and play an instrument, not learning what to play. There are other issues affecting the medium, but I think this one is the most pressing.

there's nothing wrong with op ic

Shame. The games were rather decent.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

The other most pressing issue is the fact that the entire art-form is horrendously inbred. Modern cartoonists have nearly 100 years of cartoons (including 40-50 years of crummy, amateurish stuff) to sit and take their inspiration from. The "Golden Age" guys were born around the turn of the century, they didn't have prior generations of cartoons to copy. Their work was influenced by real life. The acting and expressions you see in classic cartoons don't come from cartooning books or approved model sheets, they come from keen observation of real people. The major exception to this, even back in the "Golden Age" would be ((((((Disney)))))) who long ago decided that they had a very finite set of cute, formulaic and safe stock actions and expressions that they could never ever deviate from. Which is fine if that's your sort of thing, but I personally tend to find the work of their contemporary competitors much more interesting for this reason (though that's not to say there's anything wrong with "turning your brain off" and enjoying their output, as I do from time to time).

/thread

No, seriously. You answered OP with what may be the only real answers in this thread. Great fucking posts.

capitalism

So the adults who grew up watching cartoons and never grew out of it will find them more relatable.

lmao

/thread

Well most cartoons are made via korean slave labor. The goal is to create cartoons as cheaply as possible in order to max out profits.

Starmen has been around since the late '90s.

>doompaul