Is he right?

Is he right?

What can I say?

I wouldn't say it was overhyped, but it was really nothing special either.

Yes, absolutely, except maybe the character design. A lot of them were just plain bland and the coconut monkey-gremlin-things stuck out terribly. Animation is the best money can buy and soundtrack was decent, save "You're Welcome", but that's on the rock.

Still, anyone who didn't predict the entire movie's plot beat for beat needs to stop huffing paint.

I also thought Moana's voice actor did a terrible job.

everyone else was fine, just her dialogue came out a little awkward half the time.

Except you're welcome?

Dunno. What other movies has he seen, so we can tell if it's the most overhyped he's seen or not?

It was mostly made to advert. Polynesian mythology and culture. O would like Disney to make amovie regarding my culture,but i think in the end they would appropriate it way too much like they did with others, so mayb it's better it has not happened

No and for two reasons.
>Moana wasn't overhyped
>who carws if it was predictable

The Nut Job 2.

It wasn't nearly as overhyped as Frozen.

Where was the hype? Frozen was overhyped, this flew under the radar.

dont forget that the demi god looked fucking disgusting

Beginning of the movie.
>Moana is a strong independent woman who thinks she's right about everything

End of the movie
>Moana is a strong independent woman who was right about everything

Hardly anything to fucking brag about. Disney movies are always fucking predictable. Name 1 (one) Disney movie where the story isn't predictable.

Frozen.

Sup Forums still bitches about Hanz being the villain to this very day.

YOU DON'T SWING IT LIKE YOU USED TO MAN

lolwut?
Hans was obvious as fuck, even for a Disney film.

crab guy was a cool

There was hardly anything going on in Moana, it's her and Maui on a boat for the majority of the movie. They should have used more mythological figures, maybe more time in the realm of monsters.

Also the "main girl doesn't have romance" is now just as much a cliche as having romance.

Yes. In the end it was a very safe movie, the least safe thing about the whole movie was only having ethnic characters, which isn't even really risky these days anymore.

It's always the same struggles and the same resolutions. There was nothing in the movie you couldn't see coming a mile away. I dunno, it's not bad but it didn't make me go "wow". Disney should really learn from Pixar, which (other than fucking Cars) takes a lot more risks.

Overhyped? It didn't really have any hype.
Predictable? Sorta, but really no more than any other Disney princess movie.

Not "the most", but yeah he's right. They hoped for another Frozen reaction from little girls, but they didn't get it, and the overall story was mediocre or poorly paced at least.

Honestly that was part of the appeal to me. I like sailing, I like small casts where it's mostly about characters playing off each other. This didn't need to be Hercules.
>Also the "main girl doesn't have romance" is now just as much a cliche as having romance.
In Disney princess movies? Nah, not even close.

Fantasia

How the fuck?

Yes.
You're welcome.

Anna had two love interests. One had to be evil.

What these Anons said. Dull, bland, and predictable. I'd just like to add that all the Godly adventures that Maui sings about in the "You're Welcome" song sounded way more interesting than the actual movie.

Eh, I liked it. Solidly average, nothing really glaringly bad with it. Beautiful visuals and great use of light, but that's par for the course at this point.
Actually a legit part of the mythos they glossed over. Maui was thrown away by his parents because he was so ugly. Kind of a hard sell to kids and parents that appearance is dependent on how much you're loved.

I guess if you don't watch a lot of movies where the villain is hiding in plain sight it would be less obvious, but they didn't exactly do a great job hiding what his true motivation was.
Not that I fault the writers. It's really difficult to make a genuinely unpredictable twist that isn't fucking retarded.

>save "You're Welcome"
Nigger what? That was the best part of the movie.

Well yeah because the reveal is bullshit.

Samefag

I'm just confused about what Moana thinks a princess is such that she feels insulted being called one. She's the next-in-line for a hereditary title to be the head of a government; I don't know what else you need to be called a princess.

As a side-note I want to say that I do like this movie.

>Moana thinks a princess is such that she feels insulted being called one
Are you thinking of a different movie user?

There's nothing to suggest Hans was planning to kill Anna and Elsa.

I dont think it was better than Frozen as some may say, it wasnt bad though but not extraordinary either. Best movie besides Frozen would be Zootopia.

I could've sworn there was a part in Moana where she says something like "don't call me a princess" , it's been a bit since I actually saw the movie.

Killing them, no, but it was obvious he was after the throne (and the money)
Though killing them certainly was the best way to get there.

>Overhyped
How?
>Predictable
Every animated movie is

Let's be real here, all people want in animation nowadays is great visuals and music. Moana excelled in both

Cons
1. The children inside the hut are given the entire plot of the movie right at the onset.
2. Neither of the leads sound even remotely Polynesian, in fact they sound like the whitest white people imaginable. It was worse when they were singing. Wouldn't have known it was the Rock if I wasn't aware of it beforehand.
2. Typical "I'm a girl who has status and privilege, but the grass is possibly greener elsewhere." Give this a rest please.
3. The whole "The Ocean is a friendly affable character like Carpet in Alladin" thing wears thing by the halfway point.

Pros
1. The animals aren't voiced by A-list celebrities, or anyone else for that matter
2. The lava demon twist was breddy good
3. The Crab.

I remember that as well and also being confused why she didn't think she was a princess.

Don't know about overhyped, but yeah it was predictable

Every voice actor in the movie other than Jemaine and Tudyk is of either Polynesian descent and/ or Hawaiian

>3. The whole "The Ocean is a friendly affable character like Carpet in Alladin" thing wears thing by the halfway point.
Not to mention it seemed like the Ocean could do whatever the plot required. It could save Mona and take her where she needed to go except when it couldn't, it could retrieve Maui except when it couldn't, and for some reason it needed Moana to take Maui and the heart to Te Fiti on a boat even though it can easily manipulate and move objects along its surface. Not to mention all the waves and storms at the beginning that it doesn't save Moana from.

I don't think this guy has ever seen a disney movie before. Every single one is overhyped and predictable.

I just assumed the ocean was just a huge asshole who wanted the characters to suffer but wasn't willing to risk killing them off and having the heart never returned.

If someone could have taught Moana to sail, Maui is totally unnecessary to the plot, and for the most part actively impedes/diverts her mission. Even the coconut guys only find them because of their argument stalled out in the ocean.
All Ocean had to do was block a single fireball and the end battle is neatly resolved without Maui.

That's been my experience as well. The Lion King, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tangled, Moana, etc. are all completely uninteresting movies. Bambi, Fantasia, and the Silly Symphonies shorts are all much better and more visually interesting.

That would explain a number of things.

That was just a cheap meta joke.

Cinemasins get the fuck out of here.

>Though killing them certainly was the best way to get there.
No, it's actually the worst way. Two dead royals and a foreign power ruling the throne? That's a good way to not be viewed as a legitimate king.

Except te fiti can never interact with the ocean without turning to stone.

You're missing the point. The message of the movie is about finding who you really are and not hiding from it. Think of the Ocean as a god. It wants Moana and her people to thrive and be happy but it's main goal is returning the heart. If the Ocean returned the heart itself, (which it couldn't due to the water badly hurting Te Ka wherever it touches and she can form and disappear any time she wants) >Moana would still be hiding the fact that she doesn't want to be chief, and her extremely haughty nature
>Maui would still be stuck on his Island hiding his guilt behind his selfish exterior
>Moanas people would still hide from their traditions and beliefs due to fear of the Ocean itself, and would therefore lack humanity
This humanity that Moana shows the Ocean is why it chooses her, and why she's able to connect with Te Ka during the movies climax.

Maui literally saves her from certain death twice in the movie. Once was due completely to Moana's arrogance

>predictable
>disney movie

What do people expect going into these? I honestly don't get how you can tell yourself "I'm going to watch a Disney Princess movie" and then be shocked at what you get. You want groundbreaking cinema, or even basic twists and turns, ya don't go to a fucking disney movie. I don't know where you go, but not there.

Moana wasn't haughty, she bickered with Maui because of how Maui was acting. And Maui didn't have guilt until he learned about how his last adventure was dooming the world due to his actions against Te Fiti.

>Moana wasn't haughty
There are two times in the movie where she sails straight into harms way and almost gets herself and somebody else killed due to her own arrogance

>arrogance

Moana a cute!
CUTE!!

The attempt with the pig? Her father wasn't about to let her leave so she couldn't ask others how to sail.

If he truly believes thus then he hasn't seen very many movies. I mean fuck, Sing and Trolls came out the same year,and both were the most safe, predictable movies imaginable. At least Trolls had a void aesthetic though, Sing was borderline sterile.

That and their first confrontation with Te Ka where Maui nearly destroys his hook saving her

She's so much hotter in the movie than in the promotional material

>ohnips
>he

I mean Maui literally tells her "They took one look at me and threw me away" so it is touched on.

I will say that alright alright alright man nailed Koala to a T.

>"main girl doesn't have romance" is now just as much a cliche as having romance

How is that even a cliche? That's just one of 2 ways to write a character. Either they DO have a love interest or the don't. How is that at all a "cliche"?

>he

>tfw there's this amazing perfect beautiful qt3.14 as fuck Hawaiian girl who you've been working with all summer who's completely obsessed with this movie and has a crush on you but you can't make do anything about it because you're moving across the country in a week.

This movie but it gets me in the feels. Ilikea if you're reading this I'm sorry.

underwhelmind end to the revival era.

>That hair
To think we've surpassed awful 80's hair. I never thought I'd see the day

Why couldnt Maui fly naturally? Also Maui's normal demigod form would have more raw power than any soft biological squishbag he could shapeshift into.

Why did he need a boat? Why does a DEMIGOD NEED TO BREATHE?

This movie has bad mythos.

That island they lived on is way too small for humans to not die in 10 years on it. See small islands barely have any mammals on meaning its cannibalism or fishing. Even then their fishing sucess rate makes no sense and the nets wtf polynesians were spear fishers. Dont get me started on how they dont starve to death on those voyages either.

you're over analyzing a movie for little girls.

No Im not user.

How the shit does Mauna tribe know Tefitu when its implied they never discovered that island? Heck how do they know Maui either?

The ocean being consious is unsettling.

the ocean and minimaui were comedic sidekicks.

but you cant make toys out of them

80's hair is great, you homo

>How the shit does Mauna tribe know Tefitu when its implied they never discovered that island? Heck how do they know Maui either?
What? Both the grandma and dad know the history that Moana ends up learning.

Yep.

Only thing unique was the big glittery crab and that wasn't even a great song. Boring characters, a trope of a story, forgettable, boring songs.

How long do we define "A while" as?

Because, you know, Frozen exists.

This. Barely heard anyone talk about Moana, whereas everyone was still hyping up Frozen even well after its home release.

Frozen is like the Lion King, decent movie overhyped to death.

Frozen wasn't overhyped. The hype comes before the movie, and it wasn't any more hyped than any other Disney movie. In fact, I'd say there was more hype behind Tangled and Wreck-it-Ralph. It was overblown after it came out mostly because of that damned song and the totally subversive twist.

right, it was demand for more. women begged disney for frozen merchandise.

>overhyped
No way. Moana got decent praise for a decent movie.
>predictable
It's a movie for four year olds. Every Disney movie is predictable.

Not by a long shot, considering most monarchies pass down through blood. Even if he married Anna before she died the throne would have gone to some far off cousin before him.

I thought it was at least a fun movie
thought the songs were pretty great, the setting reminded me of wind waker, and the Rock played an awesome character

Could say the same about Arielle, Aladdin, Mulan etc. Their struggles were in making the world know how right they are, and for some, internally accepting how right they are.

They're still for kids at the end of the day. That doesn't mean they can't be great, but they'll always be a certain kind of story.

That's meta level obvious. Nothing in the actual story properly foreshadowed that he was evil.

>Also the "main girl doesn't have romance" is now just as much a cliche as having romance.
Examples?

I wonder if Sup Forums can have a Disney thread where obnoxious cunts don't call everything an overused trope or make remarks about Disney movies being for four years olds (on a comics & cartoons of all places).

Is that even possible? Would I be wasting my time if I made a "Say Something Nice About Disney Movies" thread?

The exception that proves the rule.

I wonder if Sup Forums can have a Disney thread where obnoxious cunts don't call everything an overused trope or make remarks about Disney movies being for four years olds (on the comics & cartoons board of all places).

Is that even possible? Would I be wasting my time if I made a "Say Something Nice About Disney Movies" thread?

The easiest way would've been trying to court Elsa but Hans wussed out.
>you could even say he got cold feet
>fuck you

Never watched the movie

Because if all of these things were possible there'd be absolutely no conflict.

>everyone else was fine
What? American voice acting is always awful, I wish the UK or Canada would just redub the movies into English but that almost never happens. When it comes to American films/shows always go with a foreign dub.