Will western animation have a Gundam moment that makes mature dramas an acceptable thing to animate?

Will western animation have a Gundam moment that makes mature dramas an acceptable thing to animate?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-rnr5jeWm2I?t=4m53s
youtube.com/watch?v=1AoN6mr3cQ8
youtube.com/watch?v=MoNmzoP3CF8
youtube.com/watch?v=xE6SAE1tCEE
youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-GPPXeB7I
youtube.com/watch?v=CwT2E_tsQIw
youtube.com/watch?v=nnLMDKGYcVw
youtube.com/watch?v=SLKAih_u5W0
youtube.com/watch?v=1h66Kpgzuh4
youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8Eu35eTAs
youtube.com/watch?v=VN1Zi841NHA
youtube.com/watch?v=CoJQcQ3yyCI
youtube.com/watch?v=XBYWWxEC-Jo
youtube.com/watch?v=6FzK_c9ziF8
youtube.com/watch?v=GjmsBQbkwKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

your best bet is that Castlevania becomes the best thing since sliced bread.

>four episodes a season
>Netflix only
Yeah that's not happening

In order for this to happen, you need said drama/sci-fi/action/anything but comedy moment to be widely accessible and make some *massive* fucking bank.

A motion picture would be too huge a risk for any studio to back unless it was based off a comic book or something that had established itself as making a crapton of money or has a huge following of people with money.

A television show has similar risks but if it was some netflix or hulu exclusive and it is a mega success then the trend can get started.

A web original would need to be more popular than Homestuck, Prequel and Megatokyo in its prime combined.

Regardless, it will take not just one franchise getting "lucky" but it will also require producers to see it as the start of a trend or next wave of popularity. A sort of "Disney sees B:tAS doing gangbusters and 'retaliates' with Gargoyles" thing only done several times. There will be flops. There will be imitators, and alot of people missing the point of what makes this starting show good, but if at least a few of the imitators make something good than the stigmatism of cartoons= only kiddie fair could finally start being altered, but good fucking luck. That's cynical of me to say, but.... really it's not going to be easy and it will take years.

08th MS was shit. I don't know why people keep recommending it as an entry gundam.

I was just looking around Google images for pictures of the colony gassing and Origin V doesn't come out for another month. It was the best I could find.

Gundam wasn't the first dramatic or the first story-driven anime.

We had it 20 years ago. Nobody cared.

And to elaborate on this, anime started almost immediately telling serious stories, and there didn't seem to ever exist the notion that it shouldn't or couldn't.

>Gundam
>mature drama

>8th MS Team
C'mon user, at least use something from an actually good Gundam show

Gundam, Galaxy Express 999, Ideon and Space Battleship Yamato are the reason why anime became such a big industry and why a lot of the works out of Japan tend to be more serious. Around the time that they came out stuff like the extremely kiddyfied versions Getter Robo and Mazinger Z were airing.

I'll add that the resounding success of these works initially or during reruns is what convinced people that fully serious stories were viable things to animate and profit from.

That would happen when CG becomes cheap enough and realistic enough to replace lead actors. It isn't that far off in the future really. If you are talking about traditional animation, if 2.5 games like Guilty Gear and Dragonball FighterZ are any indication, that could come fairly soon as well.

THIS, do you happen to be a /m/an, user ?

Yeah anime took a while to become a serious medium, while manga started sooner.

damn did it end shortly

>Gundam
>mature

Nobody ever tells anyone to start with 08th MS Team. If you post this shit on /m/ they will chimp out and yell at you that the production order is the only true way of watching Gundam.

Sometimes I wish getter robo got the westernized reboot instead of voltron, bishounen fags or not

Attack No. 1, Star of the Giants, Aim for the Ace, Heidi, Devilman, Rose of Versailles, Ashita no Joe, Princess Knight... there were many others besides just mecha and space shows.

C'mon, you can't deny that the first one was actually great

no one said anything about the production order being wrong though, that's how I started the franchise.

I just want a Getter anime that's a faithful adaptation of the manga, with everyone being a badass and all the crazy shit and gore.

what's a good entry gundam then?

the first one, 0079

youtu.be/-rnr5jeWm2I?t=4m53s
Cartoons don't need grotesque deaths and destruction to be dramatic.

Should I just watch the OVA with better animation and condensed plot? I don't know how much cheap animation I can sit through just to understand the Gundam universe for newer shows.

The film trilogy is okay for your first dip into the franchise, but if you plan in watching the rest of the Universal Century you should really watch the anime.

If you just want to watch Gundam for the fights then I think it's not for you, if you just don't want to watch 0079 for the sole reason that it has "cheap animation" and ignore the great story and character writing then you can watch the movie trilogy.
You just have to know that 0079 is the most important part of Gundam, and almost every other series is either a continuation of it or trying (and failing) to copy it.
For the OVA's you have War in the Pocket, which is good, 8th MS which is mediocre and 0083 that has good fights and great animation but an ok story, which takes place after 0079.

>watching anime for the animation
Faggot, I bet you read comics for the art and movies for the good CGI too.

G Gundam. The only Gundam series that matters
youtube.com/watch?v=1AoN6mr3cQ8

Well, that one and Gundam Build Fighters. Screw any others.

Ah, so you're a memer then.

American animation has been riding the cartoon train for about a hundred years now. It's not the right approach for making serious stuff, and it's been ingrained into people, decade after decade, that animation cannot into seriousness like live action can. There have been exceptions over the years but they have remained exceptions. Anime hasn't changed things either.

>so you're a memer then.
Nah. I don't meme

let me guess, you like wing too ?
G was ok at best

G Gundam was a fantastic Shonen and I am severely confused why Sunrise decided to make it a Gundam show. The writers agreed, I assume. Since they quit

>The East is Burning Red XD
>My Hand Glows With an Awesome Power XD
>Shining Finger XD

G Gundam is loved by morons who like to spout memes about it.

>you like wing too ?
I said that the only Gundam series that matters are G Gundam and Gundam Build Fighters, did I not? Wing isn't interesting at all

Lots of shit is loved by morons who like to spout memes. You have to learn to tune that stuff out and just enjoy a thing without the fandom killing your interest.

I think G is ok, the story is your cliche super robot anime story, it was one of the few AU that didn't suck, watch some early UC and Turn A, user, they're good. G is mostly loved because of nostalgia.
Also watch Getter Robo Armageddon, you'll love it
youtube.com/watch?v=MoNmzoP3CF8

Meh, if I just want some drama in a cartoon show while robots are being blown up, I'll just watch Batman Beyond.

Not X-Men?

Honestly, what is the best Gundam show?

0079, Turn A and Zeta
I feel like a shill

I loved Gundam Wing when I was a kid. After rewatching a bit of it as an adult, I see that Wing is complete and utter nonsense.

I rewatched G Gundam too and it's still fucking amazing.

Build fighters is good too, if you've watched enough Gundam. And War in the Pocket is great, a huge tear jerker though

G doesn't try to be serious, it knows that it's silly and often joke about it, Wing takes itself too seriously and the best parts about it are copied straight outta UC

weeaboos gtfo

Wing had great music.

Talgeese wasn't straight outta UC

Which one? Evolutions?

G has its serious moments, but it's a completely different type of show than all the other Gundams. It's a martial arts shonen show rather than a grim 'horrors of war' show like other Gundams.

That it did.

>saying that in a weaboo website
I used to hate anime too, but I just couldn't resist the appeal of giant robots
It's good, but again, every Gundam series has a great soundtrack
youtube.com/watch?v=xE6SAE1tCEE

except that, the antagonist was a copy of Char though.
Talgeese is sexy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gx-GPPXeB7I

Hello it is I, the good sci mecha drama series that has come out in the past 5 years

Is this 0083 Stardust Memory? I don't remember this.

I love giant robots too, also politics, but I don't post Sup Forums here.

same, user
8th ms

Did someone say Sup Forums?

For a modern audience, 00 is pretty damn incredible. Amazing animation and music too.

>Sazae-san
Kek

Fucking Zeeks

>Sieg Zion

The one positive thing about this surge of Nazis in America is that fucking Zekes are going to go extinct outside of Japan.

As it should be.

Too bad it shat the bed by retreading UC again, followed by aliens.

next seasons eight.

Okay so 0079 and G Gundam. Thanks lads

In that case...

>08th MS Team
>Bad
What the fuck?

???

It's not bad, just mediocre

Wrong.

You shut the fuck up. You faggots here, on Sup Forums, and on /m/ have been calling 08th fantastic for years, but now all of a sudden it's "Ok, I guess,"?
Fuck outta here.

There is LITERALLY nothing wrong with 08th other than an arguably rushed ending.

>Fuck outta here.
That's what I said. Weeaboos belong in Sup Forums, not here.

>Make anime thread
>"Wow people that watch anime should leave."

>There is LITERALLY nothing wrong with 08th other than an arguably rushed ending.
The romance is garbage.

If you love space battles, watch 0083. If you love ground battles, watch 08th MS Team. Zeta is overrated.

>Make anime thread in Sup Forums
Come on, if you got permabanned from Sup Forums it's not Sup Forums's fault.

>but again, every Gundam series has a great soundtrack

I haven't watched a lot of the other Gundam Series (I'm ashamed to admit they didn't grip me like Wing did), but Wing had shit that was John Williams caliber. Is the stuff from other series that good?

youtube.com/watch?v=CwT2E_tsQIw

P.S. I couldn't listen to Beyond the Time because of faggoty copyright bullshit.

Cliche story
plot armor stronger than any other UC show
bland and one dimensional characters
Shit villain
forgettable battles except maybe for one
forgettable soundtrack
the blandest Gundam protagonist ever

the only good thing about the series is Norris

08th went through the same thing that happened to Zeta, X and Turn A: they were seen as flawless shows when people had relatively little access to them, but once more people were able to watch them as torrents and such became more popular more people were able to identify the flaws.

Attack N1 its being subbed by Live Evil since the BDs.

I haven't actually watched any Gundam series yet, but I know at least Turn A has some good music by (Youko Kanno).

youtube.com/watch?v=nnLMDKGYcVw
youtube.com/watch?v=SLKAih_u5W0
youtube.com/watch?v=1h66Kpgzuh4

>I couldn't listen to Beyond the Time because of faggoty copyright bullshit.
dammit
also, Zeta's soundtrack is good, It might be your thing:
youtube.com/watch?v=VJ8Eu35eTAs

youtube.com/watch?v=VN1Zi841NHA

or Char's Counterattack (go to 1:05)
youtube.com/watch?v=CoJQcQ3yyCI

youtube.com/watch?v=XBYWWxEC-Jo

here's another one for beyond the time

youtube.com/watch?v=6FzK_c9ziF8

youtube.com/watch?v=GjmsBQbkwKw

Turn A's soundtrack is sooo good

>Saying this in weeaboo site
Sup Forums was and always will be just weebs discussing about their favorite western cartoons and comics

At this point, why would they? To understand why animation in the west is so kid centric, you have to realize that Japan doesn't really have that good of a live action industry, or at least hasn't. Not that real stellar work hasn't come from it, but compared to Hollywood (film and television) it pales.
In America, all the tits and guns and character drama you want come from television and movies these days. And now that technology is improving a lot of those fantastical settings and concepts that used to be solely the domain of high budget Hollywood or animation can be easily pulled off with some clever usage of special effects.
In other words, the western equivalent to Sup Forums isn't Sup Forums, it's Sup Forums.

Japanese live action doesn't have high capabilities, but sports stories for example don't require them and there were still many of those made in anime form in the 60s and 70s. There have also been many live action adaptations of manga since the 70s or earlier. So anime isn't a substitute for live action.

>you have to realize that Japan doesn't really have that good of a live action industry
U FUCKING WAT M8!?

holy shit that's brutal

It's pretty much the only thing in Kuuga that gets nearly that visceral.

>the only thing
>the panther grongi ripping off policemen's eyes
>that grongi that literally killed people by running them with a truck
>that creepy mushroom fucker that poisoned people with a kiss including temporally killing Godai
>N-Daguva's debut in which he incinerates people alive while Kuuga can't do anything but watch
>the final battle in which N-Daguva and Kuuga beat each other so hard in a fistfight that they actually dye the snow red with their blood
>the only thing
Have you even watched Kuuga?

Yes, and most of those things are not nearly presented in the same way as that scene. The Grongi do plenty of bad shit, but it's not as visceral.

I guess I get what you mean: it's one thing to see the villains doing horrible shit, it's another to see our happy-go-luck hero give such a beat down to his enemies.

Well the animated Spawn series was fairly successful but not enough to encourage other networks and studios to follow suit.

Until there's a series with enough mass appeal to make financial sense expect mature animations to be relegated to student projects and short independent films.

What is Bojack Horseman?

It must suck for the Japanese to only being able to watch many of their classic anime in gaijin-speak.

Dororo got a subbed release i believe

This. You'd literally have to make a majority of Americans not care about Hollywood actors. That's never happening, ever.

Retard

>you have to realize that Japan doesn't really have that good of a live action industry, or at least hasn't. Not that real stellar work hasn't come from it, but compared to Hollywood (film and television) it pales.
Until the 60s, 70s, the Japanese movie industry was huge with 4 or 5 major film studios and hundreds of movies released each year.

What killed them is the success of television. Most studios were helmed by old guys since decades who were unable to adapt to this new competition.
They always had difficulty to adapt. Japanese embrace both talking pictures and colors later that the west.

Most studio disappeared in a decade during the 70s. Some survive only by making erotic movies through the 80s.

That's why nowadays Japanese movie industry is in such a bad shape. They still have a few really good directors and actors and make a few good movies from time to time, but it pales by comparison to their past.