Now that months have passed since Samurai Jack's ending, what's the consensus?

Was it worth the effort Gennedy had to finish it or not?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13700885/r
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yeah it was worth it

>worth the effort
>implying he tried

It could have been a bit better
It wasn't perfect
It was kind of overhyped
It was different
but in the end it was good

We had this thread yesterday.
I thought the finale sucked, the second half to be exact.

thread

It was a bittersweet ending
Jack deserved a happier ending

everyone's already forgotten about it so I guess it's as bittersweet as he meant it to be :^)

It was good, I knew it would never completely live up to the hype built around it but I'm happy with have an ending. 8/10 would be flung into the future again.

strawpoll.me/13700885/r

Nigga stop making these threads

It never needed an ending and this proved such a thing could and would actively harm the series as a whole.

Literally any ending that didn't involve erasing the future wouldn't have ruined the whole series.
How genndy thought a mass retcon would be acceptable is beyond me

wasn't the best, wasn't the worst. Was wonderful seeing something from my childhood get finished instead of the horror of possibility purgatory

it was worth it. only reason why it was disappointing for most people with the ending was because it was hyped up so much for a huge twist, instead it was the ending we should have all expected. After I re-watched it last month, I enjoyed it way more; it's just the over-hype waiting for the finale that killed most peoples expectations.

it stunk

At this point I'm starting to doubt, or hoping, that Genndy didn't have too much involvement in episodes past the first 3/4.
Until we get that DVD we still have no clue on how production went.

Glad it finally has a real definitive ending after all these years, but disappointed because it could and should have been so much more.

Despite the rushed finale it was a worthy conclusion.
Sudoku Jack was the best character, prove me wrong.

disapointing, but still good

>this is considered peerless action by genndyfags
How embarrassing

>but in the end it was okay

FTFY

Everyone would have hated any other ending. Going back to the past was what I wanted and I got it.

You know, after reading the comic and watching the finale im kinda glad we got both alternatives for an ending where Jack stays in the Future AND other where he goes back to the past.

this

Holy shit I've seen this thread twice today and like 5 times in the last 5 days. It's always the same:
>"now that a few months have passed..."
>a few anons try to have a rational discussion
>most anons start yelling at each other
>one faggot posts that "DUDE I HAVE AKU'S POWERS LMAO" copypasta
>a few anons who post Sup Forumsmblr bait and say it was amazing and that everyone who doesn't like Ashi is sexist
End this shit already please.

It was not good and it ruined the legacy of a great cartoon but it was worth every second of wait

It's an awful cycle.
Samurai
Jack can never have serious discussion again

It was pretty terrible in all honesty. There were some good moments, but overall it had more problems than not. If you can turn your brain off for it and watch it for the spectacle alone its probably good though.

some people will just keep on bitching

they are fueled from it like dark eldar

This. The ending was the worst of it. The beginning of Season 5 was some of the best shit the show ever put out.

It can be more or less narrowed down to one question: what is more important, the journey or the destination? How you answer more often than not also determines how you felt about the show, and about the ending.

It was good and worth the effort. The majority of Sup Forums even expressed that they liked the show, even the ending, in an objectively measurable manner.

Plus the whole ride on Sup Forums was the greatest
It was fun to stay up to 6:30 in the morning to watch the new episode and shitpost in the sticky,then shitpost again all week in the millions of jack threads

It wasn't Legend of Korra and that's enough. Especially since tumblr chimpedout over Jack not being a fag and Ashi not being a dyke (also called mentally ill).

It was a 7/10 when everyone expected a 10/10

I was never able to get in one of these threads, what exactly was the ordeal with shaggyfag?

I could've gone for any bullshit reason to have a real Aku fight. Like Aku reaches back through the portal Aishi made and touches himself and goes Aku squared because fuck physics. "Jack can body Aku, Jack's Dad can body Aku, Aku can't win a straight fight vs the sword" is true, but even those were all great, long sequences that were still full of magnificent build up and back and forth.

If you're a fan of Genndy's other works you know dude can do incredible fights. It totally takes the wind out of my sails as a fan to have the finale be "and Aku jobs everybody because they literally can't hurt him." but muh giant stone samurai "OK, they can inconvenience him."

it was great except for the actual ending as in the actual last episode which was retarded

It stinks!

Ashi shouldn't have been a thing. Despite all the waifufags you know this to be true. It turned a show that was inspired by eastern media and anime but had its own very, very distinct flare into straight up pandering with a few meh fights in between. Too much shit introduced and just dropped without any kind of proper resolution. Once Ashi joined Jack everything seemed forced and rushed. The last decent ep was the one where they were inside the giant worm because it at least had cool LSD visuals.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, jack and ashi should have tag team fought aku and the high priestess, with each pair swapping partners (jack and ashi passing the sword to which ever is fighting aku at the time) with cool tandem attacks (kinda like the catfight but with higher stakes and confident physical contact rather than the awkward ones).
It would have reinforced their relationship by having them be a battle couple as opposed to turning her into a damsel in distress.

The series definitely went on a different direction than what I expected. Pretty different from the original four seasons.

However, and despite its many bumps on the road, I enjoyed it.
I feel the ending might be a little too different from the original Samurai Jack, but for what it is I liked it a lot.

Damn that's a good idea, that would be some seriously intriguing set up like Jack vs Ninja on Black and White.

If anything I think it should have been that because they wasted all that buildup of ashi being an immensely skilled warrior by having the final fights involve her using someone else's abilities out of her control.

He kept making fun of everyone who expected Ashi and Jack to become a romantic couple. He then got massively BTFO in episode 8.
Finally, after Ashi vanished from existence a lot of shaggyfag followers considered it a victory; I still feel he was wrong, but this was a situation in which literally everyone lost. He simply got the last laugh.

This could have been done well, but we all know people would bitch constantly about GIRL POWAH. It was bad enough that every other thread bitched about her wiping the floor with the orc army, because somehow they forgot Ashi was practically bred to kill.

>Ashi shouldn't have been a thing
The timeline agrees

I don't know, seeing Jack pass ashi the sword to swipe at aku while he beats the everloving fuck out of her mom with his bare hands would have mitigated that

Also people only bitched about girl power when she soloed an army, people didn't really bitch about her fighting prowess with Jack against the tigers.

These are both good points. In her defense, soloing the army worked well as a sharp contrast with Jack's meditation.

This. It was purely stylistic; Genndy enjoyed going from a very clam and slow scene to something much more violent and faster.
I still wish that energy had been used on a more intense fight between Ashi and her mother rather than Ashi curbstomping an entire army

It did but it also sacrificed character development between the two by having yet another episode where they weren't interacting until the last 5 seconds.
REALLY hurt their relationship portrayal by jumping from
>I want to kill you>I tolerate you>I love you
even though 6 and 7 could have developed their friendship or even showed them introducing themselves for chrissakes.

Watching it and reading the Sup Forums threads was fun. I'm glad the season was made, too bad the finale was rushed as fuck.

They should have either made 10 episodes with self contained stories and a lingering plotline about the sword, Jack getting back on his feet and slaying Aku, or make a longer season with the same story we got.

I personally would have been pissed with just about any ending to the story we got that didn't involve both Ashi and Jack alive and well when the credits rolled.

I'm not against the idea of killing off one of the main characters at the end, or even both of them. As long as it's executed well I'm down.
Ashi's death as we got it was... mishandled but not terrible. Pretty bad, yeah, but not abysmally terrible.
The final scene with Jack alone did sit very well with me.

I guess I'm more disappointed that the new protagonist was completely shat on for her entire life and even in her last moments.
and her death seemed to exist for no other purpose but to hurt the main character, which trivializes all of her prior characterization.

> her death seemed to exist for no other purpose but to hurt the main character, which trivializes all of her prior characterization.

I hand't really considered that and it is a big problem. Then again I feel, and this is based on interpretation, than rather than an unexpected final fuck you from the beyond, what Ashi did was a conscious sacrifice.
Just judging by the look on her face as they were travelling back in time I feel she knew what she was doing but didn't care; her life had been so shitty that she was willing to end it as long as Jack got a shot at a happiness she knew she couldn't provide.

That's my interpretation of her death, at least.

basically this. Stop my top 5 show just because the journey was so god-damn good.
I still miss /ck/ and wish we could have re-done our date

You know, everyone bitches about the ending and yeah, it wasnt great, but i still think the Phantom Rider was a bigger letdown. The setup was SO fucking cool, and then it was just sort of a big ghost that Ashi got to beat up.

yondi?
It all depends on whether you view ashi as being aware of the consequences of time travel or not.
IMO there wasn't enough information given to support one side or the other, and it all depends on interpretation.
One thing is for certain, Jack had no idea it was coming, and I personally think Ashi was on the same level of insightfulness as Jack.

I think Ashi decided to keep Jack in the dark about it.
After all, she did understand that if Aku was killed in the past she would have never existed. As she expressively stated.
Still, I do believe she didn't tell Jack to spare him of that pain and allow him to spend their final days together happily.
I still would have preferred it if her death had been more immediate, right after coming back to the past. I know they wanted to add drama by having her die on her wedding day, but it was a mistake. It's more logic and just as dramatic to kill her off right after Aku dies.

>she did understand that if Aku was killed in the past she would have never existed. As she expressively stated.
I took that as she felt her organs disappearing and connected the dots in an "oh shit" fashion

She seemed pretty damn calm for a person who had suddenly had such a terrifying realization. I'd usually say it's just being played for laughs, but the intent of that scene was entirely dramatic. She must have been considering the idea for a long time if she managed to take it so well.

He rightfully called Ashi shit and knew that adding females was just going to ruin the season, Sup Forumsmblr as expected called Shaggygod a sexist and all of his followers mindless sheep just hating on women. Soon later Shaggygod got banned by the retarded mods and he became a regular meme to laugh to anyone not blind that was able to see Ashi as the garbage character she was.

Little did the SJWs and the waifufags knew that he was right, Ashit indeed ended up ruining the show by making it a rushed mess with asspulls for days and underwhelming conclusions. Luckily she died in the end on a Gurren Lagann rip off solidifying just how awful the ending was and forever blow the FUCK out of Ashifags forever.

Or at least that's what the tale goes...

Disappointing but ultimately passable.

Final battle could have been better with Jack beating Aku in the future and then manhandling him in the past

Could have also shown what happened to the people in the future without Aku and maybe have the gods cut Jack a fucking break with Ashi because lord knows he deserves it

still alright with what we got

Jack beating Aku twice? In 20 minutes? That's just be repetitive and tedious. One fight was more than enough.

It was really good, but it wasn't more of the same, so a lot of people were turned off by it.

Didn't satisfy everything we wanted it to either, but doubt it could have.

Ending makes the series.

Not in 20. Either make it longer or maybe cut some things

mainly wanted to see a big final battle with Jack VS Aku in the future rather than Ashi solving everything

have some of the fodder hold her off while Jack and Aku duke it out

Not perfect, but I enjoyed watching it.

he directed and storyboarded every episode though
I really don't think credits lie like that

But Jack and Aku's battles are incredibly one sided. There really is no way you can put them on even ground without it being painfully convenient.
This isn't like the first time Jack and Aku met, or Aku vs the Emperor. Jack has 50 years of fighting experience and Aku has been in his castle without training for just as long.
Jack beating the shit out of Aku in a humiliating way (as we got) was the best way to go.

It wasn't perfect but I was still happy with what we got

of course. Ashi was the absolute worst, but seeing our boy Jack get back was worth it, though at the cost of literally everything he experienced and worked to salvage. eh.

this

There's actually better action than this.

>Jack has 50 years of fighting experience and Aku has been in his castle without training for just as long.
You don't have to write it like that though. You can say that Aku gets powered up by the amount of the universe he's subjugated. The entire point of sending Jack to the future rather than just vaporizing him should've been that would be stronger in the future.

It was good but you can tell that they were struggling to fit all the plot points in the 10 episode limit they had, the pacing in the latter half of the episodes clearly suffered from it.

I'm just glad it finished, but you know what I want now?

What I really, really want that no info has come out so far whatsoever after this finished?

A FUCKING BLURAY RELEASE OF THE 1ST 4 SEASONS AND A GODDAMN OST RELEASE.

MY SJ EPISODES LOOK LIKE FUCKING SHIT, I CAN'T HANDLE 480P FOR THIS SERIES NO MORE.

I've seen so many people complain about this, but for all the issues it had (which ultimately couldn't have been avoided due to the circumstances it was in), the thing I wanted I freaking got, so I'm happy. I am just surprised at how fast this show fell off the radar after it finished, like damn, people don't seem to care at all.

Should have did a short Movie of older more experienced jack coming back to the guardian after dealing with Aku instead of wasting time on filler bullshit and tacky love interest

Funny how everything wet to shit the moment Adultswim thought it would be a good April fools joke to show Shit and Portly on the time slot of Samurai Jack

Anyone who thinks this ending was good in any aspect is an autistic retard who just wants to suck Genndy's unimaginative cock. I wish I could just erase my memories of this shitty-ass show, because my pot sure the hell can't.

You called?

>It was really good for the first 3 episodes
>Jack had really grown as a more fleshed out character that was really interesting.
>The art direction for the effects and backgrounds and scenery is magnificent. Especially for episode 7 with the tea making scene.
>Ashi ruined the show by being inserted as a mary sue that didn't get anyone really invested in her character besides being the love interest of jack.
>Aku was too light hearted sometimes, I felt like he could have been more serious this time around with a couple of jokes here and there.
>The ending was fucking awful

Honestly it could have gone better, they needed to have more focus on jack, a better ending, and no fucking getting into a relationship, at least not until he gets back to the past. Or hell, having him not get back to the past but moving on and improving the future after aku is destroyed. Would have made for a good lesson.

>we killed aku, yeah
>now let's marry
>great, we're at the altar
>oh, wait a second, wasn't i supposed to die when aku dissapeared?
>waddya mean?
>ups i'm dying bye
>welp i guess i'm depressed now.

THIIIIIIS

>THIIIIIIS
go back to whatever shitty web you come from, faggot.

have some snickers, user

I miss ashi

The first three episodes were absolutely amazing.

The rest were just okay. Ashi wasn't really interested and personally she really felt like a Mary Sue, which hurt the pacing of the latter episodes.

But it was good enough.

The pacing was less hurt by developing ashi, and more by splitting them up until their romance episode without much of a middle ground to see them interacting as friends before falling for eachother.
In the same vein they focused too much on nostalgiabating which could have fit in a longer season.

More like Aku is childish and prefers procrastinating rather than facing his problems directly.
Also, if you introduced the plotpoint that Aku grows stronger the more extended his influence on the universe in, then why would Jack have been allowed to roam free for 50 years?

I still don't get why everyone calls Ashi a Mary Sue. She's about as much of a Mary Sue as Jack.

It's just a buzzword people misuse when they can't admit that they don't want to see female characters in any form of spotlight.
Sometimes the description is accurate(rey from star wars) but even a stopped clock is right twice a day

>no all of the above option

Jack died at the end of episode 3 when he fell.

The rest of the show was a journey through purgatory.