So I haven't watched the original DuckTales for almost 20 years now, watched a few episodes on account of the reboot...

So I haven't watched the original DuckTales for almost 20 years now, watched a few episodes on account of the reboot. I'm struck by how gentle this show is. It's beyond gentle/slow/nice by modern standards but even for the early 90s it's definitely on the tame side. It's not bad per se, but it's not really exciting in any way. I wish the animation was better because then it might have a "simple beauty" but I hate to say it, it hasn't aged all that well, even Animaniacs with its constant pop culture references aged way better simply because of the tone.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/pW9kZ3HdKjg?t=17m18s
youtu.be/
youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k
comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-07.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erika_Fuchs#Work
youtube.com/watch?v=BaYJDKp2ZCs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Scrooge Motherfucking McDuck
>gentle
And that's one reason why a lot of the comic fans disliked that show.

Well it's really remembered for what it meant for cartoons and animation as a whole. Ducktales was purely made to be a show for a show and not to push merchandise. Disney sunk a bunch of money into a giant gamble and it paid off so hard, we got the rest of the Disney Afternoon from it and the rest of the cartoon industry after it was never the same.

Yes, it's very gentle, but there's a pure sense of adventure to it even if it is story of the week.

That said, it sucks after the first 65 episodes that is season 1. Like a lot. I also don't think may people remember the 'show', just that it wasn't shit.

Holy fucking shit that comic has a rabid, relentless fanbase. And they all seem to be from Europe or South America. The fuck? Anyway yay the comic or whatever. Barks barks rosa rosa rosa

They're pretty good comics, user.

>Holy fucking shit that comic has a rabid, relentless fanbase.

It's had one for many decades. I sort of see why though nothing could ever quite live up to the reputation it's gotten in some circles over the years.

This. And IIRC it's the second season that introduces Bubba.

I just had no idea until now that it had more cultural relevance overseas than Bugs Bunny, Superman or Christ. At least that's the impression lately whenever Donald, Scrooge or Ducktales is mentioned. We got the friggin' Duck Gospels over here.

>Early 90s
Try mid-80s, boyo.

The Gizmoduck saga alone is worth watching over and over again.

Fuck Bubba though, they were just trying to cash in on dinosaur fever.

Sweden?

Wouldn't surprise me. I once saw a site in Swedish devoted to Donald Duck studies.

Donaldism is a real thing with Nordic countries.

Are we sure it isn't like the Jediism thing in Australia?

Frankly, after watching the second and third seasons, I felt Bubba was the only major flaw in the show. Not the only one, of course, but the most obvious.

The tone shift to more economic-based stories than the first season does take some getting used to, but it's not a hard adjustment. And the animation I find is a little more fluid and bouncy than in the first season at times.

youtu.be/pW9kZ3HdKjg?t=17m18s

>youtu.be/

?

!

Yes.

The Duck family is the original Saiyans

Portions of the Swedish language is based on translations of Donald Duck comics. The comic used a ton of english words that had no equivelant in Swedish at the time, so the translator made up a ton of words that are officially part of the Swedish language today, in the doctionaries and everything. The significance of Donald Duck in the Nordic countries cannot be overstated.

Same thing happened in Denmark.

Direct from Finland.

youtube.com/watch?v=JWwSVOo5K_k

some of those fans are here on Sup Forums actually

i fucking love carl barks/don rosa duck books.

Any examples?

Good thing nobody gives a fuck about the comic fans.

I think the Ducktales movie has still aged well.

I haven't watched it myself in at least 15 or so years due to reruns. But i wouldn't be surprised if it mostly holds up by today.
Looking back, i remember it coming to a halt after they return from their time travels with Bubba. From that point they didn't go to any adventures at all and mostly focused on the triplets going to school and Bubba adjusting to society. I never liked that back then, it felt boring and as if they forgot what the show was about.

The Rosa and Barks cartoon are not the only ones with Scrooge, and the duck comic scene in Europe is comparable in scale to the whole american superhero scene.

Never has the comics had as defanged a Scrooge as the original Ducktales. Not trying to say Ducktales was bad, but it most certainly had the meekest Scrooge of all.

It has aged gracefully. I watched a solid portion of the firs season not so long ago. The backgrounds are amazing, the spirit of adventure is very solid, animation is top tier television that dwarfs most of what is done today.

From the comparison you made to Animaniacs I take it you think "not tame" cartoons need to be fast paced with a lot of antics and screaming? DuckTales episodes had a great flow, I'd say almost cinematic. They didn't feel the need to make it constant action (which get boring really fast), there was plenty of respite.

All in all it's a great cartoon, full of adventure and fun. I didn't care for later seasons as a kid, Gizmo and Bubba were utter garbage, the quality of animation also declined, so I'm talking more about the beginnings.

I gotta say after watching the episode 1 of the reboot I went back and watched the first 6 or 7 episodes and I completely disagree with you.

I will admit that watching more might result in a sharp down turn in quality but this show has character, a plot/setting that's perfect for all kinds of great-story telling and interesting adventures, great voice work, television animation that puts modern work to shame, I just don't agree whatsoever. Plus it wasn't made to sell action figures.

Ugh, that autotune.

I thought the new one was also pretty sweet but also with enough humor that will connect with kids and not the sort that leaves it saccharine and over done, like some kind of Winnie the Pooh.

The scene where Donald first confronts Scrooge and the nephews, on hearing they're related, flip out in the back seat of their car. That's a good example. It's not a joke you would have seen in the old series, but it's still harmless and perfectly relatable.

This. I learned Danish pretty much entirely from old Donald Duck comics, as did everyone until the 80's and still many after.

>Ducktales was the first cartoon made for syndication

This is wrong. Lots of shows before this were made for specifically for syndication.

>this fucking pic getting posted in every goddamn duck tales thread

What's wrong with it?

Just when I thought Duck comics facts didn't get any more bizarre than the time it accidentally discovered a chemical compound.

It was significant for the time for not just being a toy commercial as many shows then were but especially for its serial nature, having very long "To be continued..." arcs which was pretty unusual for then.

>I'm struck by how gentle this show is
I want to do gentle things to Webby

You have no idea how popular duck comics are in Europe.
So according to [1] the best selling cape comic in the US in June sold 128,261 units. Lustiges Taschenbuch, the German monthly duck comics anthology has a circulation of 245,000. And that's just for the German market of 80 million people. The sales are pretty similar in the rest of Europe.

[1] comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-07.html

Seconding examples.

Not Swedish or Danish, but here's some German examples: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erika_Fuchs#Work

>I wish the animation was better because then it might have a "simple beauty" but I hate to say it, it hasn't aged all that well

It's often referenced as having originated in the 1980s as some kind of tribute to Carl Barks, but it was animated using Tony Strobl coloring book designs as model sheets.
It's the design style Disney considered "current" for Donald (and Mickey) in the early 1980s, and it's ugly as fuck.

The good aspects of many episodes come in *spite* of the look of the show—or when certain animation studios instinctively drew Scrooge looking a little more like his Barks self. (I'm not going to mention the studio that the autistic wanker spooges over, but... yeah.)

Ahh the duck people from Drakar och Demoner. They were first implemented as a "joke race" and pissed a lot of people off to their success. I remember being a kid and made a wizard duck character when playing the 87 version with some friends. The removed the race in later editions due to complaints. They recently added the duck race back in the 2016 version just to piss people off.

>From that point they didn't go to any adventures at all and mostly focused on the triplets going to school and Bubba adjusting to society. I never liked that back then, it felt boring and as if they forgot what the show was about.
Middle management wanted as many Kids In School type series as possible, under the belief that kids wanted to watch KIDS more than anything else (the prelude to the likes of Doug over at Nick), and the original promotion for these seasons indeed put HDL ahead of Scrooge.

Bubba, and to a lesser degree Fenton, were simply a few writers' Mary Sues. Notice how Bubba actually ends up living with Scrooge, to make him as unmissable as possible.

>le mysterious mr enter XD

>kids wanted to watch KIDS more than anything else

Yeah, that's an idiotic idea that comes around every generation it seems. It's easy to debunk, just gather some kids and ask them whether they'd like to be Batman or Robin. Nobody picks Robin.

Some things in the reboot are a big improvement.

Don't forget that this also branched off to Heroquest or whatever setting the Glorantha is (shown in King of the Dragon Pass). Don't fuck with ducks.

For you.

Wait, am I doing that right?

Runequest is the RPG you're thinking of, though I believe Drakar och Demoner is a separate thing.
Heroquest was a later RPG that did Glorantha in a different way mechanically than its predecessor, Runequest.

Not him but it's always been odd to me how people treat Donald's comics with such reverence when he is first and foremost an animated character. It's like people using superhero cartoons as their go-to instead of comics, but in reverse.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just never understood it.

How many Donald Duck cartoons have there been since 1960? There's been thousands of Duck comics which generations grew up on since then?

Eh, get rid of that ? at the end

Crashing this plane...with no survivors!

>that hula duck figurine

I wish it had done better.
If it did then we'd also have a rescue rangers movie

I'm a pilot!

Donald may have started as an animated character, but every other character in the Duck universe, including the nephews and Scrooge, appeared in the comics first and the cartoons later. Also, Donald's comic book characterization is completely different from the cartoon one.

Drakar och Demoner is a swedish tabletop rpg from 1982 and is unrelated with Runequest. Drakar och Demoner had a joke duck race once as seen in the top left of

In spite of how people like to say DuckTales is shit compared to the comics, it still has its merits.
It was timeless, adventurous, and along with the Disney Afternoon it opened the road that would lead to the current Disney/Nick/CN trifecta of tv cartoons.
At time most cartoons were cheap-ass Hanna Barbera or cheesy glorified toy commercials.
So yeah, props to DuckTales. I look forward to enjoy the reboot much more, but I still respect the original.

Duck comics don't "have a fanbase" in Nordic countries, it's a core part of out culture, or rather the culture of the current adult generation.

When I grew up in Norway, Donald comics weren't just in every general store, they were in the news rack alongside the big national newspapers. One in four Norwegians bought the weekly Donald comic every week - that's over one million sold weekly in a country of 4 million. Absolutely NOTHING in the US compares to this market saturation - probably not even the Bible.

Yeah, I thought it was unrelated. Respect to Runequest/Glorantha for not caving in to edgy 90s nerd pressure and removing their ducks.

Which episodes should I watch if I want to get the full Gizmoduck experience?

Kids are fine watching kids... if said kids are the HEROES and MAIN CHARACTERS.

Nobody wants to be Robin, but everybody wants to be teenage Spider-man

It's hard to explain. They're very different and much bigger than the cartoons and those who grow up with them usually like MAINLY them, because they're written in a very strict, safe style that derives from a combination of a century-year-old traditionalism and the costant fear of ticking off the main company.

However, if you only read the best of them, they're really fun.

>when he is first and foremost an animated character.
JUST on the main Italian Disney weekly, Topolino, NEVER in its over 3000 issues history there has been an issue without a Donald story.

Most often, there are MULTIPLE Donald stories, and then one must add the other various monthly titles.

Donald might have been born a cartoon character, but he has become a comics books character

p-post the next page

It's the only good part about this goddamn franchise.

Wow, you mean a cartoon explicitly made for children doesn't appeal to you as an adult decades later? What a shocker.

>not knowing Scrooge's top 10 anime moments

I don't think Americans quite understand the impact.

I'm not even from Europe (Actually off the African coast) and even I know the influence that duck comics had on my childhood. Reading duck was a bit like religion. You didn't think twice about it and just read it just like you eat bread. There was no active "fanbase". There wasn't any pressure to prove your duck worth to other fanboys.

I didn't know who Carl Barks, Don Rosa, or any of the European authors were. I just went to the super market with my mom, and bought the latest release of the local duck magazine on a regular basis. Sometimes, the magazines would come with gadgets, which you had to ask the counter to get it. For example I remember getting a mini booklet of the junior woodchucks manual. It actually contained some real life tips in there. Shit was great.

>I'm not even from Europe (Actually off the African coast) and even I know the influence that duck comics had on my childhood.

Huh, neat. I thought it was just a European and maybe Brazilian thing.

To be precise, I'm from Mauritius, so I ended up getting the French Disney magazines like Picsou Magazine, Super Picsou Geant, Mickey Parade (Balthazar Picsou being the localised French name for Scrooge McDuck)

>All these international mother duckers.
Amerifag here. When I was 9, my parents took the family to England and Scotland to visit my older sister who was in a college " study abroad" program. She was there on pure scholarship, and While I was there, i bought one comic book. It was a Donald Duck comic, where he is ice skating, and, to show up Gladstone, who skated a figure 8 and two 4's, Donald skates a perfect differential equation into the ice, but, naturally, a 0 in his equation turned into a hole in the ice, and he sunk.

It struck me as being the most brilliant cartoony comic I had ever read. And I had no fucking idea what it was. I had to do research into advanced mathematics to properly understand a Donald Duck comic.

Since I, through self research learned what the hell the joke meant, i felt like i had to explain it to my other elementary school friends.

So, during recess, i used some stolen chalk to draw it on the playground blacktop, so i could tell my friends the joke.

Now, a teacher saw me do this...

Long story short, a donald duck comic book got me into the gifted program at my school, put me into advanced classes, and was responsible for my eventual scholarship in mathematics.

I'm actually American but as a kid I always heard people refer to Carl Barks as like a god. Mostly from people who are big fans of comics and cartoons. It gets a little ridiculous but it probably is fair to say that he had a big influence on that and other mediums. Actually haven't American filmmakers and tv creators and novelists cited Barks as an influence over the years? I feel like his name kept coming up in interviews. Maybe Duck Comics aren't common here but I kept hearing about them growing up to the point of thinking Hollywood was some kind of Barks Duck cult.

American and math classes in my schools showed Donald in Mathmagic Land a lot funnily enough so I know other people Donald set down the road to STEM careers.

I just looked this up out of curiousity. Spielberg and Lucas are two examples and Indiana Jones was inspired by Barks Scrooge comics.

So was Bone.

Italy, too, made a movie (Scola's "Will Our Heroes Be Able to Find Their Friend Who Has Mysteriously Disappeared in Africa?") based on a Disney story, Scarpa's "Topolino e il Pippotarzan"(Mickey and the Goofytarzan)

Holy fuck I remember reading this duck story.

It was brilliant.

Nice. I love that the creators of the new show seems to be sticking to this. Seeing Furgus and Downy (Scrooge's parents) in a painting overlooking Scrooge's dinner table is a great touch.

BTW, so we have no idea who Huey, Dewie, and Louie's dad is?

Those film makers are old, so they actually grew up on duck comics when they were actually popular in the States, during the 50s and 60s.

At some point superhero comics basically took over.

Europe didn't catch on the super hero craze, so they stuck to the Duck comics.

Anyone have the link to it?

>>Europe didn't catch on the super hero craze,
We did(and still do), we just didn't drop everything else.

You find it strange that people bring up the source material whenever an adaptation is being discussed? When does that not happen?

I think it's from "From Duckburg to Lillehammer" by Don Rosa.

>I wish the animation was better
what the fuck, how can anyone say that the animation was not great for a television series?

Rosa later noticed he'd drawn the minus sign as a second equal sign.
It was fixed to a minus for the recent Fantagraphics reprint.

It'll never stop being surreal to me. It's like stepping into an alternate universe or something.

I've read some argument that the superhero phenomenon in the US was caused in large part by the decline of the newsstand in the 60s, and the resulting move to reliance upon a subscription model to reach an increasingly vital segment of the US comics market.
Basically the audience for comics became less centered on the casual readers and more on diehard fans, and the nerds back then loved the superheroes so that's what the market focused on to the exclusion of almost everything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=BaYJDKp2ZCs

Same here. Rarely have I experienced any genuine culture shock on Sup Forums but I think this applies. I grew up with the cartoon, but never would I have thought the overseas comic was such a big deal to people. You can feel the passion in their posts when its brought up.