Bendis Daredevil Pt. 2

Picking up where I left off previously. Hope you all enjoy. Please leave comments. I love to hear what you guys like, dislike, are neutral towards, and what you wish you could change. These opinions allow me to think about comics in a much more diverse way from my narrow minded viewpoint.

>he doesn't like David Mack

no link to last time

It's not that I don't like David Mack, I just find his art hard to follow and the abstractness of it all makes it difficult to get myself immersed. I can completely appreciate everything he does, it just isn't for me. I hope you can accept that.

Link to prior threads is here

Just collected the Marvel Adventures Spider-Man series. If the demand is high enough I might to the entire universe from start to finish (although the issues may not be in perfect order).

>he likes David Hack

Is it terrible that I include Bendis in my top ten favorite comic book writers? Not all of his work lands, Avengers Prime and Mighty Avengers come to mind, but I still consider him a good writer that is capable of writing multiple distinct voices while still presenting a plot for all to enjoy. I know I know, not all of his work is stellar but I will confidently say his good to shit ratio is skewed in its favor. Lastly, I really enjoy Infamous Iron Man and consider it a significant step up from the last series he had been working on (Guardians of the Galaxy, All New X-Men, Invincible Iron Man (Tony & Riri).

>using reference pictures is bad

>swiping is the same as just using reference images
Fuck off, Mack.

Plagiarizing is bad. Yes. Many of these are more than just influenced. They are direct tracing as bad as Land. I'm not even the one to post the pic, but it does present a lot of information I never knew about.

bump

Gonna try to drop a bump in here from time to time as I catch up with the last thread.

I wuv you.

Sorry this took so long. Had to resize a couple pages.

Eating crappy chinese food right meow. It's everything I hoped it could be.

Cheap crappy Chinese is much better than it has a right to be.

This question is for anyone in this thread, would you say a specific author or one of their works has affected your writing/thoughts about comics in a unique way?

Jo Casey's Superman #612-623
>In this series Superman is a pacifist and doesn't throw a single punch throughout the entire arc. While I originally thought this was ludacris I now view it as a logical evolution for the characcter. Superman has stopped trying to be the world's resident strongman and instead is focusing on being the world's most effective EMT that also intervenese in other crises. Something about that is absolutely beautiful to me and is one of the reasons why I treasure Superman so much. He has all this incredible power, and decides to use it for strictly non-violent purposes to help as many people as he can. That's inspiring and led me to follow a code, "What would Superman do?" and that's one of the reasons I kicked ellicit substances.

I am right there with ya. A small order of sweet and sour chicken is 4.99 after tax and will feed me for two solid meals. Sure, the resturant probably hasn't passed a health inspection in a long while, but provided cheap and easy chinese food makes them gods in my eyes. Much better than Panda Express.

Don't get me wrong, I love Panda, it's just that they are significaintly overpriced for the food they provide. I'd rather go to one of the dive bars where Ilive because their food is fucking godlike. I can order custom burgers, calzones as big as your head that are less than 6 bucks, and the best alfredo in town that still has the oil in the noodles from where they cooked it. God do I love that bar. Drinks are cheap as hell and seriously the best food in the area.

One last thing, The Elvis Burger
>Half pound beef patty (feels close to a pound)
>Toasted sesame seed buns
>Light Mayonaise (I know this isn't everyone's favorite but it works.
>Peanut Butter spread and melted throughout
>Cooked Bacon they just pulled off the grill.
Absolutely godlike.

Nah man. Bendis's street level shit is some of my favorite street level shit.

Guardians and Riri are fucking awful, but stuff like Daredevil and honestly, his New Avengers run up through about Secret Invasion or Siege are pretty good reads.

Dark Avengers was fucking great too.

What happened to make him drop off in quality as hard as he has?

>Dark Avengers was fucking great too.
My man. I see people continuously shit on Bendis because it seems the "cool" thing to do when I guarantee none of those people have scoured through Bendis' entire catalog. New Avengers Vol. 1 was absolutely stellar and one of the best self contained Avengers runs of all time. I don't even think Ultimate Spider-Man (Peter) is worth mentioning because of just how awesome that series was.Even people that hated Bendis enjoyed that series.

For influences, I maintain that Mark Millar has been an infuence to my work that I quite frankly couldn't have done without. His pacing on Jupiter's Legacy got me to start practicing on how to condense my story so a lot of shit happens in 4-5 panels per page. His stories themselves encouraged me to take the powers I'm working with and push them to the absolute limit of sanity. And his dialog between characters is literally some of the best in the business and has a unique combination of earnest and edgy that perfectly represents the works attached. Also his series tend to hover around 4-6 issues so he's providing a great example on how to set up, elbaborate, and end a mini series that says what it needs to say and gets out.
>Sorry for ranting
>ALso his Superman series is absolutely god tier. Anyone who says he's needlessly edgy needs to sit their ass down and read some Superman Animated Series issues by Millar. One of my favorite issues is when he uses each page to tell an individual story. I had never seen anything like it.

My guess is that he got comfortable. He thinks he can BS in some titles because he knows it's going to be picked up anyway whereas in some titles he brings his absolute A-Game to silence the nay-sayers. know this isn't going to be universlaly agreed upon, but I consider his Infamous Iron Man run to be one of the better comcis he's done in years. It actually feels like he's writing a version of Doom on the path to redemption. I never in a million years would have expected Bendis to pull it off but here we are.

Don't get me wrong, I really do get criticism of him. His Avengers book post Siege got really shitty really fast (JRJR's halfassed art didn't help either). Around the time of Fear Itself, he's got that Oral History of the Avengers thing going on, which is an interesting idea, but sucked ass in execution.

But he's still got some decent stuff after that. Old Man Logan was flawed but I enjoyed it more than Millar's. I expected Scarlet to be a bunch of Tumblr crap, but it's surprisingly good.

Daredevil: End of Days was solid too.

>BLONALD!!!!

I didn't quite connect with Scarlet but I think that was due to my own personal views rather than any fault of the writer or artist. I agree with what you said about Old Man Logan and Daredevil End of Days. I wasn't expecting anything out of Bendis but he continued to bring his A-Game (or B-Game). Bendis is seriously one of the best writers of his generation, even if the current audience has read less than half of his series.Even his Ultimate Doomsday trilogy was better than I remembered and managed to stick the landing. Not perfect, but nowhere near as bad as Scott Snyder ends his landings.

So far, I've decided to incorporate Millar, Bendis, Casey, and Moore as some of my primary influences. I also include McDuffie even though I'm not a fan of his Justice League.
>McDuffie wrote my favorite DC animated movie, "Crisis on Two Earths".

I'd agree with that, though I haven't really given it a shot. From what I've seen it's at least bearable, which is more than I can say about most of his other more recent stuff.

Where have you gone?

is this the guy who did the ultimate spidey storytimes? I never got to say my thanks to him

Is it even possible to botch landings like Scott Snyder for anyone that isn't Snyder? Christ, don't even get me started on Metal.