How would you revamp MMH?

How would you revamp Martian Manhunter so people like him?

DC has almost entirely ignoring him for years, so something clearly isn't clicking.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=marvin the martian martian manhunter
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Hawkgirl

Why must they always ignore Hawkman?

I liked when he wanted to fuck Aquaman

>DC has almost entirely ignoring

Don't you have a hotel to manage

No need to revamp, what they need to do is actually give him his own series and build him up a rogues gallery and side characters. Don't have the JL involved for a while.

His issue with Marvin the Martian was surprisingly great.

Who the fuck cares if the mainstream don't like him? He was by far the most obscure Leaguer even in the very first issue, just a recurring feature in Detective Comics.

Nothing has come close to the Ostrander solo run because they're not embracing what makes him interesting. He's the most powerful being on Earth, but is a pacifist, basically a monk.

If you just make him another punchy superhero like in New 52 and his recent solo, you lose everything that sets him apart. He's never going to be as popular as the other Leaguers, so just let him be what he is.

Sup Forums has a big problem with not just accepting that some characters have a nice niche they fill and don't need to be bigger than that

>His issue with Marvin the Martian was surprisingly great.
sauce?

Whats wrong with him? I think the bigger issue is exposure

If people knew him they'd like him, this applies to any character really. The problem with him is that there's very few stories he works, his telepathy is so powerful that if you get him in a story you need to have neural protection or something akin to it.

If you have him not use it it's dumb, if you have him beaten telepathically it's dumb also. His recent run was actually entertaining and explored some stuff about him.

lmgtfy.com/?q=marvin the martian martian manhunter

What I'd do:
>Make Martians have the same strength, durability and speed as humans
>One of the few differences between Martians and humans being that Martians communicate via telepathy rather than vocally
>Make J'onn a superhero even by Martian standards
>Super telepathy to Martians like Black Canary has super vocalizations to humans
>Give him telekinesis because why not--he's a supermartian
>He has a Martian device that lets him shapeshift into humans for disguise
>Wears many faces, but his default is John Jones; ace detective
>In a pinch he can "overdrive" the device to become eldritch abominations, but this overheats the device and it goes on cooldown

>Stories focus on detective work
>He can find the perpetrator fairly quickly due to telepathy, but has to acquire evidence to convinct.

>Costume pic related
>Name is just "Manhunter", but sometimes referred to as the Martian Manhunter by allies that know his alien nature

Please stop.

I proofread this and it still got through. I must have had a stroke.

You got to admit J'onn's weakness is pretty inconvenient. ITS FUCKING FIRE

Make him into a secret Superman with Batman elements. He goes undercover and underground to save people and doesn't get credit for it. He uses his mind reading powers to find out who the big guys in charge are and goes after them in various parts of the world. He spooks people using his shapeshifting. Have multiple organizations looking for him because they want him to work for them or they want to eliminate him. Don't have him as part of the League, but have him work with them every once in a while.

He got over it.

And even if he hadn't, again, his whole deal is he's a pacifist despite being immensely powerful. Having an Achilles' heel like that makes thematic sense.

Can't have the League be too much of a sausage fest.

DC doesn't like marketing characters who step on Kryptonian toes. Hence Captain Shazam and Martian Manhunter, both flying bricks (with J'onn also being a lonely alien) being C-listers at best.

Vixen better

>He got over it
Well thats fucking dumb. Anyway Im fine with the fire weakness, its a good handicap considering how OP J'onn is. I was just pointing out its one of the worst weaknesses a superhero can have given what they do

>ohtay gaiz here's what to do

The alien card is taken by the human lookalike Superman. Face it, there's only room for one of them.

It's fire. It's pretty much everyone's weakness.

There are a lot of pointless characters that no longer work in comic books in this day and age for simple financial reasons:

(a) people aren't reading comic books in the numbers and variety that they used to in the Silver Age and even up to the 90s and aughts that it made sense for even a smaller publisher to have multiple titles.

You don't even have to consider superhero books for this. Archie just cancelled everything except for NuArchie; the only new book they've introduced since their 2015 initiative to reboot their entire line and introduce these new titles is Riverdale, and just as with the digital first books that DC has DROPPED for their DCW, their is NO guarantee that anyone will be wanting to read that in 12 months, even if Riverdale is renewed for the next four years.

(b) print is expensive and publishers (all of them, again not just Marvel and DC) have shown an disinclination to just carry a digital only title that isn't a one shot or a mini.

Print is expensive, as is distribution, plus the pie needs to split with a lot of people of the profits, the stores, Diamond, etc. So comic books cost a lot more now than they did when MMH might have made a lot more sense.

No one is complaining that big or major metro areas/cities like LA, DC, or Dallas, etc. only have one major daily newspaper, or that Chicago and New York only have two (albeit one very weak one) when they used to have 5 or more dailies. No one is complaining or asking, "How do we fix this and bring them back?"

Likewise, no one is missing Newsweek or US News & World Report as general release major distribution news weekly magazines?

MMH was created in the Silver Age solely to be a Superman clone for the Justice League books because the Superman Family editor didn't want to lend him out to a team book.

Giving his his own "Luthor" or his own "Joker" is NOT going to help.

Why not both?

I'd give him what is basically the Justice League animated show origin but make it so the US govt supplied the white martians with fire weapons to kill the green martians, with the promise that the white martians would promise to leave earth alone--but of course the white martians lied.

Makes it so Jon has to basically forgive the US govt for acting out of fear and being responsible for the genocide of his people--a small but significant difference between him and Supes.

And of course play up the pacifist except in dire circumstances side of him.

Make Marven a permanent rouge

Fuck you

By revamp it invariably means turning him into something he's not.

My pitch is very simple. I don't care to dick with his costume or his powers much, every time they reboot him, all they do is fuck with the costume and then they give him a completely uninspired storyline and the book dies on the vine because nobody cares whether or not he's wearing a shirt, they care whether or not he's something they want to read.

All you do is you make the book mostly about Detective John Jones, and you make it a sorta Fox Mulder/Men in Black thing. He works for Argus or the DEO or whoever deals with aliens, and his gimmick is that none of his coworkers know that he is an alien himself.

Jon Peters is that you? Will Martian Manhunter fight a giant spider too?

Just don't, he's a terrible character.

There are no terrible characters.

Were you born like this?

What does that have to do with my statement?

This basically. I am saying that as a daily newspaper corrrspondent. This plus all of the problems caused by him being overpowered and Superman clone.

Pair him up with Black Lightning and they go on adventures.

I wrote this as someone who still loves reading books, graphic novels, newspapers and magazines in their actual print version, although I admit I read more stuff on line.

>not wanting to see Martian Manhunter fight a giant spider

give him the Vison/Mister Miracle treatment

>ruining the entire story where MM finds out what his true heritage is and comes to terms with his past.
nigger.

He is most overpower character! JL cartoon nerf him to being a tech support type of guy. He is superman with more OP powers.

poor martian jobhunter.

Well the first thing I'd do is- AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!

Stop making fucking everyone as strong as Superman. This includes Martian Manhunter but extends to Shazam, Supergirl, and tons of others. Wonder Woman being upgraded from "girl who fights regular humans 95% of the time and dies to bullets" to Superman level, Aquaman being upgraded from "guy whose arch-nemesis is normal human with scuba-suit and laser gun" to Superman level, Batman going from "street thugs with gimmicks can kick his ass" to having Superman-level armor in his garage. Flash somehow fighting regular humans with gimmicks in 99% of his appearances until suddenly he's beside Superman and now he's an FTL god with supernova punches (who still dies to bullets). It's all garbage.

Keep Superman as the appropriately most powerful heavy hitter by far so no one else has to be A. reduced to a minor role to not overshadow him, or B. job ridiculously.

but MM is a great contrast to superman.
While superman stands in the sun and is an inspiration, MM stalks the shadow and fucks evildoer's shit up with his detective persona and skills.

That's Batman.

Batman can shapeshift and is a warrior monk?

Just make Martian Manhunter in the 24 and a halfth century.

A race of alien that weak to fire but somehow can use heat vision is always be weird to me and dont make him as strong as supes

fire =/= heat

I am gonna say what retards say about superman.
He should have been less powerful.

This

well when you are benchpressing earth for kicks you kinda jump the shark.

you should be ashamed of yourself.

>>No one is complaining that big or major metro areas/cities like LA, DC, or Dallas, etc. only have one major daily newspaper, or that Chicago and New York only have two (albeit one very weak one) when they used to have 5 or more dailies. No one is complaining or asking, "How do we fix this and bring them back?"
I am.

Was he even that powerful when he first appeared or was it power creep?

>>Stories focus on detective work
>>He can find the perpetrator fairly quickly due to telepathy, but has to acquire evidence to convinct.
only good thing