Does continuity make every show better

does continuity make every show better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8Zffv-FCEYM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I really enjoy continuity and general story progression. Of course it doesn't work for some shows, for example Super Jail. But I think that trainwreck is more on the writing team being switched around with the Venture Brother guys and the animation being passed over the Titmouse.

Some of the throwbacks are nice, but other stuff keeps getting forgotten this season
Like, how many times has Stan died now and how many different after lifes have we seen?
In the episode before this one, Francine's dad didn't even recognize Stan.

>does continuity make every show better

Not necessarily. Episodic television was designed to be a series of short stories with familiar characters. The longevity of some series - sitcoms, especially - necessitated some sort of continuity just o keep things fresh. For the most part, in shows that don't deal in long story arcs, continuity is more like a bonus or a reward for the long-time viewer.

continuity is usually better than lack of continuity, yes, OP. and water is wet.

As an example, you don't need to have watched Cheers to enjoy Frasier, but it does make it better when Lilith shows up.

It doesn't? Soft continuity does (like American Dad has) because you can do shit like this, but continuity is an anchor around the neck for creativity for the most part. Think if Looney Tunes had hard continuity

Episodic style of story telling and continuity isn't mutually exclusive. tons of shows are lack an overarching story arc but still have tons of small references to past episodes. its not really a bonus as much as it is necessary in any series that spans over multiple seasons, and most of the time it probably happens naturally, especially if there's consistency in terms of who's writing.

You are a man of taste

Episodic shows like American can have like soft continuity where they reference things, but part of many shows like that is you aren't forced to abide by the limitations of hard continuity and can even poke fun at both hard and soft continuity.

my favorite uses of continuity, are butters from south park being elevated from a literal background character to a primary protagonist and how pretty much every new character introduced in sonic boom stays on the show.

yeah I like it when background characters become more prominent, also more shows need to do this.

Depends on the show. Something like Code Lyoko really benefitted from the addition of a more focused plot and continuity from season 2 and on. More comedic shows don't necessarily need that, though it can make them more memorable and engaging if done right (such as Venture Bros).

you mean like the secre side plot of rogers gold jewel encrsted poop that corrupts people

it was a good American Dad episode, but Roger's moments seemed forced comic relief

It keeps you invested, but it'll always struggle with the need to attract new audiences who might be old, lost or retarded.

No, god fucking no. It always just depends on the show really but with that said 9 out of 10 times hard continuity with some over arcing story ends up creating a cancerous fan base.

name 9 times

>Steven universe (arguably always cancerous)
>Rick and Morty
>Adventure Time
Multiply that by 3 and you have 9

not every show needs continuity and a show without continuity doesn't make it bad, i hae it when people always bring up continuity in shows that obviously doesn't have any like spongebob or family guy

user meant nine different shows retarded, that's only three shows, don't be a dumbass and name six more

You have a severe case of shit taste going on

Only if you can commit to releasing new seasons every year. I'm looking at you, Venture Bros.

You know, I do really love fraiser but just mentioning it (And to lesser extent M.A.S.H.) seems to automatically invite a circle jerk about how good it was and how happy we are to be fans of it.

Not complaining, just observing.

I'm kind of a stickler for continuity in shows. It's like a little reward for investing time and attention to a series.

user the only thing that's retarded here is your grammar. Learn to have a little fun you up tight autist.

Quit being gay, user. The topic here was fan bases, not the actual quality of the show

At the very least I don't think there aren't any shows that don't benefit from light continuity. There doesn't need to be an over arching story or a strict adherence to everything. But it's nice when in Bojack Horseman the ottoman is always a little burnt. Small details from past episodes are a nice little treat. I think every show could benefit from things like that.

Wait I always figured cheers came second.

He never said anything about the show, he said hard continuity creates cancer fanbases

>I was only pretending to be a genius
Johnny Concussion was a pretty funny villain. I hope he comes back

yes and no

like spices in cooking, you need only apply the right amount, you can do without any or with big heaping spoonfuls, what matters is that you no what you are doing when you add it

obviously, an episodic format would not work well if there are jokes or events that require watching a previous episode, while at the same time having continuity can add an extra layer of enjoyment to the show, as long as it doesnt impact the experience for s first time viewer

continuity is a weapon in your arsenal, take it or leave it at your discretion depending on the situation you are planning to get into as well as your overall mastery in its use
better to leave it home than to try to use it poorly

Frasier was actually only supposed to be in a few episodes of season three for Cheers. But Shelley Long (Diane) hated the shit out of Kelsey Grammar. But the writers hated Shelley even more, so they kept the Frasier character around out of spite. He just got so popular he eventually got his own show.

I'm a bit self-conscious about it, to tell the truth. I'd found myself wishing (back in the day) that they'd gave up on 30 Rock and air Black Frasier.

Black Frasier is the best thing that Tina Fey has ever done

youtube.com/watch?v=8Zffv-FCEYM

..and Jesus found and gave back to Roger to power his spacecraft so they could assault the Anti-Christ's base?

Yes.

It depends. On one side it's nice to have throwbacks and returning characters. On the other hand people piss their pants if you have any sort of contradictory info on your show. Like Logic existing in Rick and Morty after SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT killed all the musical entertainers in the world. Or as pointed out Francine's dad not recognizing Stan.

Sometimes, but things that break established continuity makes a show worse.

That's why Transformers 5 is the worst of them all, they gave up on having any continuity.

I misread this HEAVILY and thought you said it doesn't work for everything, for example that trainwreck Venture Brothers. I was about to get mad.

Alright, I'll bite.

1. Adventure Time
2. Steven Universe
3. Rick and Morty
4. Voltron
5. Lauren Faust's Horses For Children
6. Avatar (But it mostly started with Korra)
7. Gravity Falls
8. Samurai Jack (Look how much less cancerous people were with just episodic adventures vs. the Ashi arc)
9. Star Vs is on the road to an obnoxious fanbase.

Speaking of American dad is Stan still in heaven after Rapture's delight?

Rick & Morty's thing can be explained with "There are infinite Logic's in the world", like how he has infinite Summer's and infinite Morty's.

The American Dad thing is really them just plain forgetting or being lazy by rehashing plots.

It makes it a little more satisfying to watch but it doesn't need to be enforced, especially not in cartoons as much.

Only if used properly.

You've both demonstrated no reading comprehension and that user's point

Yes and no. There's a right and wrong way to do it. If a show shows that it will have continuity in the first season, then it's done right. If it's forcefully shoved to a show that showed it was an episodic show like regular show, tfhen it fails.

No. South Park got way worse when they started having continuity in the latest 2 seasons.

yes

Not really, but continuity makes it easier for people to talk about a show. Which is why shows with continuity are popular, people want to watch something they can talk about easily.

This.
Also the fucking member berries shit was unforgivable.

>at about nine to nine-fifteen
Heh, didn't notice that one the first time around, oh CPT.

Continuity is alright, but it is only ever GREAT unless it comes with development/progression. If everything just returns to the status quo at the end of each episode/issue, there's no real point to continuity. But if you want to develop characters and tell a story, continuity is a must. I guess it depends on the story.

Member berries was one of their better jokes. It just wasn't worthy of a season arc.