Batman #29 Storytime

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

"The War of Jokes and Riddles" Part Four!

I find it kind of funny that Joker treats Bruce like everyone else when he doesn't have the mask on.

Well this issue has made me hungry

>not pictured, Bruce's raging erection

I've been turned off with this bad event, but the dinner was a great framing device.

Oh fuck, Joker spitting fire.

Return in two weeks, for the conclusion of "The Ballad of Kite-Man".

Support your local comic shop!

Metal: Superman:

this was weird.

I want to die.

LOOK OUT A BUTTER KNIFE!

having people stand at the dinner table is quite stress inducing

I'm not overly current on Penguin. Does he hate both Bruce and Batman currently? If so, you'd think he'd be more pissed.

Riddler seems to have pegged Joker in this, or at least his arrogance makes him believe so, probably the most Riddler thing he has done this entire arc.

Nice reflexes, Nygma?

currently yeah, but this story is set just after year one.

ok joker wins

he joins joker because he realizes he's right and no one gives a shit about riddler

Is this after Bane broke Croc's arms?

Why? He doesn't know he's Batman

he does though. but joker doesn't give a shit about him without the mask. snyder had it so he revealed his identity to joker but joker didn't respond

eeedddddgggY

I like this Joker far more than Snyder's even though he's morbidly depressed

Nah this joker is worse than snyder's joker because at least snyder's joker wasn't this tryhard

>All those bad dudes on Wayne manor
>Somehow no one notice they're above batcave

No that's a few years down the track

What the fuck ivy gonna do there?
Hoping the plant to suddenly photosynthesis in a quick seconds?
The fuck?

he said it was the first time he fought him

I hate King's run.

He is right.
This is really the last page??? well anyway thanks a lot for the storytime.

Christ Batman is fucking useless. No wonder Gotham is still such a shithole. What the fuck has he even tried besides relying on Kite-Man of all fucking people? Even this little fucking dinner led to the deaths of those hostages, and exactly zero was accomplished.

And now he's going to join the Joker and aid in his mayhem? Some superhero.

This was a good issue, stay tuned to see next month what bullshit reason Batman had to choose to side with Joker

So I looked it up and it happened "just after we took Dick in", which is earlier than I thought, but still later than this is supposed to take place I think.

Another shit issue. With every new installment I'm more and more glad I dropped this from my pull list and decided to just read it for free.

And oh look, next week King is going to have Bruce do something horrifically out-of-character again. Surprise, surprise.

He's still a greenhorn, u shit.

Justice League Europe

>people paid for this
it's a neutral feeling

For someone who's not up to date on Detective comics, and has not read the regular Batman issues at all, can someone tell me why Clayface is on the cover with the villains? I thought he reformed and was on Batman's team now.

this is when batman first started, its a flashback arc

fucking dumbass doesn't know what Europe is

He's already a full year into his tenure as Batman, after having apparently already fought all these villains before as well as the entire mob and corrupt Gotham City police. And this is also obviously after he spent all those years training vigorously.

He's an idiot who seems to have zero tactical capability. Or hell, even physical capability. He literally hasn't done a single fucking thing this entire "war" besides get Kite-Man's kid killed.

he beat the shit out of Deadshot and Deathstroke, he was also working on relief and evacuation

Why does Sup Forums hate king?
IGN likes him.

He literally avoided them for 5 days while they raged a two-man war and killed over 100 people. It was only on the fifth day that he decided it was "enough" and punched them both a couple times, ending the mayhem.

That's probably the dumbest thing to bring up if you want to defend this trash.

I don't

standards

not really defending, but saying he didn't do anything is wrong - he did poorly, but did something

They also probably think Tynion's 'Tec is a veritable fucking gift from god. If there's one thing most people can agree on, it's that comic book journalism/criticism/whatever is an absolute joke and should never be used as a serious metric for validity.

Dent reduced to a lackey is shameful

DC's been trying to make him a joke for a long time.

Are Ivy and Two-Face SERIOUSLY wearing Riddler armbands, acting like proper little lackeys to the fucking Riddler? Has King never read ANYTHING with any of these character before?

who cares if he messes up characterization it's deep. if people didn't care when he turned victor mancha into a junkie they wont care about two face or ivy

People looked past druggie victor because Vision was a good comic.
This is just needless hype, with everything designed to make it feel "epic" without anything substantial to warrant it. The speech and narration is clunky, Riddler looks like a fuckboy, and the art itself is ugly.
If the story was entertaining, I could look past a lot in terms of characterization, but it is clear all the villains are added just for star appeal.

>This is just needless hype, with everything designed to make it feel "epic" without anything substantial to warrant it. The speech and narration is clunky,
that's how I felt about vision

When did Vision ever try to feel epic

when it kept going on about how he would kill all the heroes

I don't even know anymore. This issue is just a mixed bag of crap and sliver

second half basically

Holy shit, Joker fucking roasted him.

>THE CHARACTERZATION!
an empty criticism, something people with almost zero creativity and understanding say because they think it makes them look smart. Be also in the lookput for complaints of a story having an nonsensical plot or being overhyped.

Fuck off user, you never cared for two-face before and you don't care about him now.

He's my second favorite Bat villain.

To the Riddler, Joker just vindicated him.

D-Didn't... Didn't Joker come into his house and chop his arm off. Why's he so calm?

The fuck are you saying?

Dent was always Batman's best rogue, way above Joker.

I appreciate the pun.

Surely Wayne Manor has a bigger dining table. It's like he wanted it to be awkward.

The character interactions weren't meaningful or interesting in any way. The plot was literally not advanced at all. NOTHING was advanced at all, we have all the same information and perspective going out of it as we had going into it. 100%. And what was the point of it all? Topics of conversation vaguely aligning with courses of a meal? Christ, it didn't even have the good graces to be entertaining. This issue was a complete waste of time and paper.

Also the art is complete and utter fucking gutter trash. Janin's worst work yet by a mile. Bruce literally holds the same expression nearly the entire time, on top of looking absolutely comical.

Also, sticking to characterization is one of the easiest, yet most important requirements for writing shared characters you don't own and whose creation you had nothing to do with. If he doesn't even want to do that he shouldn't be writing Batman. Nobody's holding his fucking family hostage. He wants all the glory and money of selling out to DC without having to play by the same rules that everyone else does. If you as a reader want to willingly ignore proper characterization, stick to your fucking fanfiction where you can read about Superman raping people or whatever it is you think is "real creativity".

Janin + King is garbage.
King with anyone else is great.

Why is this?

Look at this: once again this has zero critical thought behind it, you're just saying buzzwords so you don't have to explain your reason.

The best thing about this story is it's a flashback so you can just totally not buy it. I'm sure as fuck not wasting my cash on it.

Fuck off tripfag.

Well 0k then penis pongo poo poo

Go take you Prozac Tom. We don't want you to go full PTSD.

>The character interactions weren't meaningful or interesting in any way.
I feel like this is a complete admission that you don't know shit about literary criticism. I have zero reason to trust your analysis of this issue or the series because it's claer you just don't like Tom king.

>tumblr

So I'm guessing you don't actually care enough to try and prove me wrong, you just want to dismiss because you don't like when someone criticizes your golden boy?

Where are the panels with the other villains rolling their eyes while both Joker and irish-sterotype Riddler speak gibberish like this?

so what do you guys think of the War of Jokes and Riddles so far? idk, it's not really doing much for me desu

Fuck... depressed Joker knows the score.

Yeah the premise is kinda dumb as hell, but it's been a great vehicle for good individual issues.

I'm trying to see king's run as a little more surreal, a little less realistic