Why is Scott Snyder so obsessed with leaving his mark on Batman as opposed to telling a good story?

Why is Scott Snyder so obsessed with leaving his mark on Batman as opposed to telling a good story?

Arrogance?

If you create a character that gets used in a show/movie, you get royalties.

He know that he's not capable of writing a good story, so he tries the next best thing?

Why is Dan Slott so obsessed with leaving his mark on Spider-Man as opposed to telling a good story?

He should just take the Donald Trump route and erase the legacy everyone else left on Batman. Much easier to destroy than to create

Royalties when they use his character in a movie or cartoon.

>Duke and Harper
>ever being used in a show/movie
Even Cassandra Cain has a better chance

OH MY GOD
HE CREATED A NEW CHARACTER! NO ONE HAS EVER DONE THIS BEFORE!

>Create new characters
>Give them prominent focus over other already established characters who already filled the role
>Make them flawless
>Center the Robin Eternal event around one of them despite her not being a Robin

>obvious Duke bait thread
>people still fall for it every single time
I know that Sup Forums is such a dumb board, but come on...

If they weren't so dead set for Barbara as Batgirl, she would be great as the Batgirl of the movies. Damian is in prime position to see time. Tim and Stephanie likely out.

yes, welcome to comicbooks
also
>Harper Row
>flawless
lmao

This may be the most uniquely stupid western comic critique i've ever heard. This logic is why this medium is so garbage compared to other storytelling mediums. Faggots like OP literally don't want anything new to happen.

And kill yourself if you were just baiting some Sup Forums argument.

>>Harper Row
>>flawless
Literally the chosen one

There's a difference between introducing something new to tell a good story and introducing something new to leave your mark.

He can't tell a good story.

This

DC is really good about paying creators royalties and Batman is the biggest game in town

Court of Owls is gonna last a good while, but a character they can make some toys and shit out of is going to make bank

he's written several good stories and a few fantastic ones, the pace he's picked up with all star batman is by far his best works yet, and the opening arc was one of the best batman tales in years.

as for Duke, i really only seen him in rebirth stuff so far, but i like him, the yellow armour is a nice and distinct design and his zsasz/riddler tales in all star have been good too.

>he's written several good stories and a few fantastic ones
Name 3

she was the perfect "canvas", which was meant as a negative thing

Yet a trash character like Miles Morales gets used all over the place. Trust me, actual merit has nothing to do with who gets used in adaptations. When you're a writer with big pull like Bendis or Snyder, you get your characters used.

>Story celebrating Robin
>She was made to be the perfect Robin
>A negative

Nah, Miles Morales in Ultimate Spider Man was pretty well liked, it's when Marvel tried to use him in their main universe where he became absolute shit
Miles had a lot of fans as well, there was a lot of demand for him, I don't see any of that for Snyder's OCs

My Own Worst Enemy
Ends of the Earth
Black Mirror

I heard good things about Court of the Owls as well, though admittedly i didn't care for what i did read so i haven't finished it yet. I also recommend some of his non-capeshit works like some of his horror stuff, its very good on the whole

She was chosen to be the perfect "partner" as in Mother intended it: one that would always obey and never take initiatives or disobey like Dick did in the story previously.
One of the constant themes about the Robins is that they are independent and heroes on their own which was the opposite of what Harper could have been. This is also why Batman was disgusted because he know that since he is a control freak he could have turned her into the "perfect" sidekicks that never disobeys.

>My Own Worst Enemy
>Ends of the Earth
>ASB
>Good

well yes they are, though if you think otherwise my i ask why?

Snyder doesn't write a good Bruce. His best Batman stories are the ones where Bruce isn't Batman.

>loving caring Batman that struggles with his problems and doesn't always know how to deal with people is not a good Bruce
I guess he didn't say enough HH.

you were the one who said he's written good stories. Prove why they are.

i would agree with that i find his characterisation to be a lot more like dickbats then anything else

i asked first nigga

hI agree, His Bruce is off, somehow. I can't describe what's the problem, hopefully someoen could.

Superheavy
Endgame
Death of the Family

Death of the Family was trash

>Loving caring Batman
>Snyder Batman
>Didn't even acknowledge his son over Duke or Harper
>Told the Joker his secret identity endangering the lives of the Batfamily

>Superheavy
>Bruce built a backup memory that will continuously respawn Batmen
>Endgame
>One of the worst written Jokers gains supernatural powers
>Death of the Family
>Bruce told Joker his identity
They were all shit

not how it works you made the assertion here: to which one or a few anons called you out.

You asked one to tell you why it was bad. But you'd already asserted he's written good ones, then named them, before posing your own question. onus is on you not him even if he or another user already answered you.

called me out?
Shit nigga scream "not how it works all you want" but i gave a detailed response in each post, you give me one and would reply in kind, its not rocket science here.

I haven't a fucking clue what your trying to say at then end there.

bait
he whined about Damian's death

>he's written several good stories and a few fantastic ones, the pace he's picked up with all star batman is by far his best works yet, and the opening arc was one of the best batman tales in years.

that's as detailed as you got. And it's fucking plebeian as fuck. or bait. you basically just said, I've only read snyder and his latest work is the best yet.

It's also possibly why Johns did such a radical reboot of JL and Captain Marvel/Shazam.

>he whined about Damian's death
The fallout from Damian's death happened in B&R

there were also one issue about Damian's death in Snyder's run

Only because he's black. No one likes him as a character and people quit ultimate after peter died and miles couldn't pick up the slack at all. Which is why ultimate spiderman dipped to cancellation.

are you trying to say that writing sentences over just two or three buzzwords a post is not detailed?

I'm trying to be polite but you're fucking retarded.

>I've only read snyder
Nowhere did i insinuate that

>his latest work is the best yet.
My Own Worst Enemy and Ends of the Earth are just that though.

If you disagree with what i said in that 'My Own Worst Enemy' is one of the better batman tales in recent years what can you suggest as an alternative? It's hardly been a good era for comics these past few years has it.

Which reminds me Snyder Alfred is shit

>sells out Bruce out during All Star
>doesn't tell amnesia Bruce about Damian or any of his adopted kids
~,,

That issue was 90% about Harper

>one of the better batman tales in recent years
is the second time you've insinuated you've only read snyder. because he's written a large portion of those.

And there's really nothing retarded here beside you. I simply said it was on you to prove something was good. You denied that, were proven wrong, and then decided you didn't need to because you'd said enough.

In all honesty, I'm not really too concerned to continue. But it still is on you to prove why they're good if you're going to ask someone to prove why they're bad.

>If you disagree with what i said in that 'My Own Worst Enemy' is one of the better batman tales in recent years what can you suggest as an alternative?
B&R, King's current run

I mean, both Curse of Shazam and Justice League Origins read like a summer blockbuster already

Not just Batman. Look at Metal.

meme

>is the second time you've insinuated you've only read snyder
that's entirely one you friend.

>And there's really nothing retarded here beside you.
>You asked one to tell you why it was bad. But you'd already asserted he's written good ones, then named them, before posing your own question. onus is on you not him even if he or another user already answered you.

Your really fucking pathetic.

B&R was years ago user, though i agree with you, i'm a little split on King's run personally but i love all his golden/silver/bronze age references.

Really liked rooftops and the rest of his singles, but the current arc feels like a real drag to get through. Not yet read today's issue mind.

>you're
my bad

You'd think people would recognize bait by now. If i were really trying, i would have tossed court of owls in there to throw people off.

He's trying to be Johns now so lets see how it goes.

I think this is the most unwarranted, out of place Trumpost I've seen so far.

>The Bee Movie but it's Batman

>Why is Scott Snyder so obsessed with leaving his mark on Batman as opposed to telling a good story?
The Steven Moffat of DC?

That's literally Morrison

2deep4u and enjoys wanking off a particular character who is smarter than everyone else?
Sounds like Moffat to me

Why do you think these things are mutually exclusive? That's the entire point of this franchise. It has lasted this long because each creator adds to it and updates it. How about this, why don't you work towards something like this on your own, user?

>It has lasted this long because each creator adds to it and updates it.
There's a difference between adding to a legacy and building a new one on an existing property

Welcome to modern big 2 comic writing.

at least he didn't make him his natural son like some other hack did

Morrisson has reams of background material and timelines and whatnot. You might not like his work but it's thoroughly thought out.
Moffat, sometime around his 4th year, mastered the art of knowing just how much effort he had to put in, and doing no more than that. Surface veneer is deep enough, as long as things look like they might make sense.

That's Snyder.

>Obsessed with leaving his mark
He already has you dumb cucks. Court of Owls alone has cemented his legacy. Everything will be memorable moments.
>Death of the Family
>Gordon as Batman
>seeing a Bruce who is Trama free
These will be remembered 20 years from now. Because of these moments, DC will gladly let him make more.

whats the difference?

If I recall, someone once said - I don't recall who - it's insecurity/anxiety of a beginning writer. Basically you know you're gonna be booted off eventually and are afraid noone will remember your run, so you are determined to make BIG CHANGES that will PERNAMENTLY change ENTIRE CHARACTERS HISTORY and NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME et cetera.

More seasoned writers realize that you will be remembered simply if your stories are good and not depending on how much you change stuff, so they 'grow out' of this. Snyder apparently didn't.

>all these years later
>people don't understand morrison

>literally every new writer introduces new characters
>Snyder does it too
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bullshit, character usage royalties are fucking pennies that you can't live off of. Creators who weren't paid royalties and make shitstorm etc. care mostly about principles.

Morrison almost ruined Batman forever.
He turned the simple concept of a guy turned vigilante and tragedy that could struck people without warning in the cosmic plan of evil entities spanning entire human history.
The Bat-Epic almost killed the franchise for good.

Only one of those was good. Black Mirror is a masterpiece. However, Ends of the Earth was pretentious deus ex machina OOC silliness with horrifyingly bad lettering, and My Own Worst Enemy slathered a distractingly badly done anti-chronological order over a really, really flimsy concept that's revealed at the end with terrible exposition.

Superheavy, for all its flaws, is much better than anything in All Star Batman. And King's one or two-shots are much better than Snyder's shorter stories.

All Star is fine

Fine is not what the poster was claiming. They were claiming it was one of the best Batman stories of the past several years.

Also, it's really not fine. It's more Snyder trying to "reinvent" everyone - not just in design, but in voice and character - and slather ridiculous exposition over everything, and to distract from the fact that he has no story, he tells it out of order, or with text boxes instead of dialogue and narration.

Meme arguments, you are clearly biased

>Court of Owls alone has cemented his legacy
That was an awful storyline.

Tim Drake is an example of adding to a legacy. He was brought in to fill a void and over time developed into his own character with a legacy of his own. Duke and Harper showed up to take over the sidekick role despite that slot already being filled, so instead Snyder just didn't write Damian so he could use his OC's instead.

Didnt Snyder's daughter kill herself because her dad was so terrible at everything?

>waaah why wasn't Damian everywhere despite already being in Batman & Robin

Whenever I see Snyder even in Sup Forums or cartoon threads I think of Scott first, but Sup Forumsgoes probably does think of Zach first and cartoon Sup Forums probably thinks of Stuart first. It's kind of funny.

Let's compare Damian to Harper and Duke
>Damian is the biological son of Bruce
>Legitimate heir to the throne
>His arrival creates drama with Tim
>Not liked by the Batfamily
>Has to earn their trust and respect
>Died at the end of Morrison's run so that he wasn't the next writer's problem unless they wanted him to be

>Duke and Harper
>Literal mary sues
>Instantly liked by rest of Batfamily
>Years later and there's virtually no development for either
>Staples of Snyder's run
>Constantly pushed in favor of already established characters who perform the role better
>Both given new mantles meant to replace Robin

>BLUMPHF

>Why wasn't Robin used over two characters being forced into the Robin role

Now rewrite them without being dishonest if you are able

The problem is that he made exactly ONE good story during his run, Court of Owls.
He tries to keep adding more stuff and more members to already big Batfamily - Luke Fox, Duke Thomas, Harper Row, as if he hopes this is what people will remember - but what people actually remember of Snyder's Batman are Court of Owls and Black Mirror.

Not because they're EPIC STORIES THAT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!!! but because they're well written stories. Other Snyder's stuff kinda lacks that.

Crossover events like Death of the Family and Night of the Owls were pointless and didn't tell a coherent story and were terrible as events - they don't even have a real plot, Night of the Owls is just "Court of Owls kills some people and it doesn't actually matter if they succeed or not; and second is "Joker gets edgy and kidnaps every member of Batfamily for some reason"; That's NOT how you do a crossover event.

First part of Year Zero was decent, but the stuff with the bone-growing serum was pretty stupid in a book that so far stayed pretty grounded and realistic-ish, and Savage City stretched everyone's limits of suspension of disbelief - it steals the basic plot from Dark Knight Rises (which came out just a year before the event), except - for all its flaws, Dark Knight Rises at least paid extreme attention to technicalities of taking an entire city hostage - Bane has a nuclear bomb, rigged all the bridges to blow, military attempts to retake the city AND what happened to law enforcement within the city are all subplots; in comparison, Riddler's plan is completely nonsensical and filled with holes and all these plot holes are simply retorted with saying "Riddler is super smart".

Endgame was completely pointless - it didn't work as a Joker story as Joker has been replaced by a humorless edgy monster; it didn't work as a horror story because it wasn't very scary; and worst of all, it didn't work as a Batman story because there was so little Batman in it.

I could go on.

Prove it wrong

Harper was barely in the stories, she got her persona only after Damian was dead too

I am starting to think you guys didn't actually read the comics

>Morrison invented the concept of having Batman into company wide crossovers
See

Yes. I'm biased. Becase I ADORE Black Mirror, and I'm really angry that Snyder's thrown away all of what he's good at there into the idiocy he's churned out for the past six years. I WANT that Snyder back.

>can't even understand a simple post
Well, not surprising from a morrison fanboy

>Literally the chosen one in B&R Eternal
>Constantly showing up in Batman to save Bruce at the last second
>Is the one to help Bruce after Damian's death(Main Title)
>Fan-favorite character Harper Row

Theres TWO snyders? Man everyone is always just saying "fuck snyder" so i assumed they were talking about the same dude. Are they related?

>The Bat-Epic almost killed the franchise for good.

Explain how.

I think my problem with Harper and Duke is that Snyder clearly has no idea what to do with them, they just kinda bounce around from place to place for no reason. I honestly think that the time when Harper was the sidekick Bluebird was her best moment simply because she had a ROLE in the story. Sure, it took a long-ass while to get there, which was fucking annoying.

Compare this to Duke Thomas who just bounces around from place to place, with little explanation.
First, he is orphaned during Endgame; then he participates in the whole We Are Robin thing? Then he becomes a Batman's partner but NOT a Robin but *something else*?!
And recently in METAL we learned that apparently Batman was monitoring him due to his birth being related to Nth Metal or something? ...

Snyder wants to push this character but has NO CLUE what to do with him, and doesn't have guts to simply make him a new Robin or something.

When Morrison created Damian, Damian had a clear role in the story - successor of the Wayne legacy, and soon to be Robin. The fact that he was going to be Robin was obvious and build up from the very beginning. He always has a purpose and logic to his appearances - while Duke and Harper just... awkwardly hang around Batfamily. They're not really PART of Batfamily, they're just around.

That's stupid.

There's three: Scott (fucked up Batman), Zach (fucked up DCEU), and Stuart (fucked up Cartoon Network)

Only in that they both suck.

>people still don't understand that storyline
>exaggeration
>it's okay when Tim helped Bruce get over Jason's death tho
>no argument