JSA Storytime: Omega the Unknown

Good evening owls,

We still Steve Gerber

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/JimLee/status/897920828918030336
dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/16/exclusive-etrigan-emerges-again-in-the-demon-hell-is-earth
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no I didn't read anything yet so please don't spoil any specifics of MM or Mage, please

>OP is never going to read a comic again
F

Sure enough.

Mage was good though.
And the Sandman Kirby Special makes the Kirby Specials 3/3 in "not sucking"

Nightwing's Grayson rehash arc has been fun. I didn't read anythign else.

lol Electro

Metal was an infodump but i enjoyed it

BAR BAT TOS

It's about time he joined the rest of us.

OP has been working a lot lately and is tired and left home at 9 AM and got back at 6

>she

>reading comics

lmao

>And the Sandman Kirby Special makes the Kirby Specials 3/3 in "not sucking"
I got about 5 pages into that Chaykin one before NOPE'ing the fuck out

>Jonathan Hickman might actually be doing LoSH
Rorschach_monologue.txt

I enjoyed Metal and I liked Superman a lot today

delete

The story was simple stuff, and the character dynamics were fine.

The art was awful and made it a mess to follow, but I can't say it "sucked". Definitely the weakest, but came from a good place.

DC are desperate enough that I can see that happening.

>tfw Hickman lovers don't understand why he's not a good fit for LOSH
>tfw Hickman writing LOSH is the only way to make anybody care about LOSH again

DNW

>DC are desperate
Says who?

>the character dynamics were fine.
I disagree, the dialogue was bad and the art was pure garbage making for an unbearable combination.

>The art was awful and made it a mess to follow, but I can't say it "sucked"

I mean that sounds like good grounds for saying something was awful.

twitter.com/JimLee/status/897920828918030336

Time for Brainy to make CHARTS

i meant to say you guys can use all my bs "but it's different" MM against me for when Legion Rebirth disappoints

This is not true, Johns again would do the trick.

Worked last time to pull me in at least.

Wondie was a marked improvement from previous issues today.

I did too. I think it gave me brain damage but I loved it.

Hello, Storyteller.

... So there I was, fully ready to embrace the absurdity that is the Justice League Megazord. Cause hey, it's comics, right? And I love me a but of giant robot action. So we get up to the bit from the preview, aw shit, here we go... and it cuts to the League heading home.

It was nothing but a pointless cold open. My balls are a shade of blue that I have never see before. Fuck you, Snyder. Fuck you.

Sales. And the fact that they've got a lot of Batman on the way.

Can't wait for the edgy fucking OCs and knives int he back and C H A R T S.

On par with Leopardon.

>Johns again
Oh man I sure would LOVE to just have a rehash of Levtiz again.

Geoff could do it but I don't think he has time to stick around for more than an arc or two

Hickman at least would be in for the long haul

If he's more F4 and less Avengers he's one of the better moderns at A plot/B plot which is essential to Legion, but the inevitable Brainy wank, no

Alright, I had fun with it. My only complaint being that they didn't team up more so than intersect. So the pacing was fuuucked.
Guess it has to do with me having a soft spot for Brooklyn and Big Words.

If in a solely art perspective, definitely.
But I knew what to expect with Chaykin and as I said above, I found other aspects of the narrative entertaining.

I dipped into some of the Nick Spencer trashing today and holy shit everyone in the world is a fucking idiot, including me for even looking at that shit.

Johns only wrote the Legion for a bit so there's plenty of room for more. Considering this is Sup Forums where most people want to see a creator that already had a 10 year run on a character return...
Regardless, Johns doesn't do ongoing anymore so...

Hickman wouldn't be able to use Persuader without explaining how his axe works. That's how I think of it.

>fixed Reboot Garth
>made Threeboot palatable
>was seeding some weird magic shit

sign me up senpai

True, movies were a mistake.

I thought I'd seen the depths of shitty reading comp, but no, it keeps going deeper

Right, someone would have to tell him clearly to cut that shit out

>If he's more F4 and less Avengers

I mean I don't expect LOSH to suddenly become the new flagship title. Chances are he would be in his own corner

His F4 sucked too.

Agreed, people forget about his FF which had some Legion-y feeling at times.

So I don't particularly WANT him to write it but I'd be willing to wait-and-see if he did.

LMAO. I always say, if you want your fan-favorite writer to become despised, put them on Batman or Spider-Man, but Spencer seems to have transcended that.

That Electro close-up is 1) really great 2) really /d/

>Right, someone would have to tell him clearly to cut that shit out
Sadly, the media has split editors into two categories. The good ones that just let the writer do whatever he wants or the bad ones that get involved in the story and thus "ruin" the vision of the writer.

Don't blame yourself. Anyone reasonable can assume going in it's just NOT MUH meets Sup Forums/SJW rhetoric but not truly grasp how foolish the end result actually is until you see it.

What really got me was our boy Colin moving in on Spencer's historical political affiliations/positions? That was too much for me, I found it disgusting.

Apparently there's a Etrigan mini on the way. I know absolutely nothing about the writer and the artist is just another mediocre dude.

the big story is less impressive in retrospect but I did enjoy much of it, and the Peter/Johnny issues were wonderful

That was way beyond the story and even reasonable biographical criticism and into character assassination

it just gets more /d/!

>the artist is just another mediocre dude
It's been a common trend with all the Kirby stuff

>James-Michael, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

>never read any of Hickman's work
>don't understand why everyone is panicking over this
Okay, pray tell, are we talking Waid bad, or Shooter bad? Or are we talking just kind of mediocre?

Yeah, at least the Sandman Special did something neat and re-did Kirby's collage style for a spread.

dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/16/exclusive-etrigan-emerges-again-in-the-demon-hell-is-earth

Look here, fans, and take a break.
A new comic announcement we’re ready to make.
About a war on Earth to destroy all man
And a rhyming demon named Etrigan.

Andrew Constant writes this new tale of fright,
Bringing startling new layers of the Demon to light.
He’s assisted by artists of the highest skill:
Messrs. Walker and Hennessy their duties fulfill.

Fans can expect both action and chills
In a tale that addresses our modern-day ills.
In this month where we celebrate Jack Kirby’s birth
We’re pleased to announce THE DEMON: HELL IS EARTH!

>Jason Blood and Etrigan: the best of enemies, destined to spend eternity bound together. When a haunting vision leads Jason to Death Valley, a supernatural weapon is unleashed, radically transforming not only the land, but also Blood…and the Demon. The worst, though, is yet to come, as hell begins to make its way into our world.

>Don’t miss the start of this horrifying miniseries, where Etrigan and Blood’s relationship will be changed forever!

Hey now, Newsboy Legion did not have mediocre art! It had shit art!

Etrigan is easy to miss with but inherently cool enough that I will always give his books a try.

Newsboy Legion AND Boy Commandos

That art is great and I never get enough Demon rhyming. Though if it's a Kirby tribute probably shouldn't be rhyming.

How was that Dysart mini? I never read it. I really dig Wagner but his mini was boring as fuck.

>it just gets more /d/!
I mean, seriously. This doesn't even ask for a queer reading.

It's mostly that his weaknesses are pretty much what we all don't want on a Legion book: a certain kind of tech fetishization, keikaku plotting but without the soapy delightfulness, CHARTS, turgid symbolism that thinks it's way cooler than it is

Also (for me anyway) unsatisfying endings and a particular sort of edgy characterization. Legion can definitely be dark but aren't ever really edgy? At least as a whole.

Is he the guy who doesn't like magic that much? People in the other thread were wondering if he would do Hellblazer, but that might not be a good fit*

*I haven't read The Black Monday Murders yet though

Oh you can definitely add edge to Legion and make it work, he just has a particular juvenile style of "edgy"

Hasn't John suffered enough?

Aye, and there's no real character backbone in something like his Avengers run.

With the large cast of the LoSH, it's easy to fear the two might conflate there.

I can't see him doing cromulent magic, he doesn't have that free-floating analogy brain

BTW I got some other shit to do so we're one issue tonight but we're on tomorrow

Ah. So what you're dancin' around is that Hickman is kinda, well, pretentious.

And since LoSH is at its best when it embraces, and subsequently does interesting things with the campy elements...

I like Brad Walker's art, he did a nice job on Sinestro and the preview pages for Etrigan look fine

I've never heard of the writer though, but glancing at his Twitter he's done some Phantom comics?

The Black Monday Murders is pretty good, and I say that as someone who does not like Hickman's Avengers, East of West or the Manhattan Projects.

Fucking kek.

I've been curious about Black Monday Murders but I wasn't a fan of EOW or Avengers at all, I may check it out now. Thanks user

100% realistic depiction of school.

these two pages are amazing, undiluted "rowdy high school movie"

I don't hate Brad Walker but mediocre is a good word to describe him... I mean, not that he's distinct enough to recognize him so you can describe his art but still. I just think it's silly that DC has Riley Rossmo and they're not putting him on it.

This kid is so charmingly autistic.

Speaking of "where are people," anyone know what Barnaby Bagenda's up to?

Is this one of the first sympathetic portrayals of someone who's pretty clearly autistic, in comics?

>appropriating daddy

He was doing that stupid GL/Planet of The Apes crossover. Not sure if it's done or whatever.

It's done.
I dropped out 3 issues in because it was so dull.

I could've sworn there was someone autistic in the old Deathlok comics.

He has no social media besides a deviant art he posts sketches and commissions on.

hey how are you owls doing?

it's still ~fucking hot~ here

Possibly, but I don't know if he's even meant to be literally autistic, since I don't know if it was even well-known back then. And people who did know about it probably weren't aware you could be high-functioning autistic.

Maybe he's supposed to reflect Gerber himself as a kid, or someone he knew. A lot of highly intellectual but reserved people from history are speculated to have had high-functioning autism these days.

Probably. Media has historically not been kind to those with mental disorders, even now there's this weird stigma against people whose brains don't work quite right.

Another scorching Texas day in which I literally could not leave the house just to get in my car without sunblock.

Truly a saint, perhaps even a prophet.

Ant-Man is a pretty interesting choice for joining GotG out of all the earth heroes they could have used.

Also I said in the Metal thread but man Capullos art is not great in it. It's so sketchy and every hero except Bats looks kinda wrong. Bogdanovic over on SC draws a better Capullo Superman than Capullo himself.
Also all of Capullo''s interesting colouring, lighting and composition is nowhere to be seen and it looks safe as fuck stylistically for a book called Metal

Oh and if you're like me and really enjoyed OPs Ostrander Squad storytelling Bergen Street is getting Copra Round One back in soon

Is Electro making this a sex thing? It feels like a creepy sex thing.

>unironic "how do you do fellow kids"

I love this guy

>proud *owner* of that tight-lipped mound of *muscle*
>you can keep him as a *pet*

it sucks

This is totally a sex thing

why is this so lewd

I'm unsure of what he's doing, it's almost like he's trying to evoke like a 90's style.

Also I bitched about Diana having a snake on her armor which is a symbol of Ares, and then it comes out and it turns out it was a seal from Mongul representing a gorgon, so I feel dumb now.

That's the inevitable magic of Steve Gerber

>Wry vexation, bemused detachment, the stance of the unfeeling, unobtrusive observer
This is why I love Gerber. Straight up waxing philosophical in a superhero comic.

I'm reminded of Jojo in that Omega is basically James-Michael's stand and Electro is being this sadistically camp villain.

Eh. The world went to shit again, so that sucks. But on the plus side, Bronze Age Wonder Woman is fuckin' awesome!

Gotta be honest, I'm a little bit mad at George Perez for excising all the cool shit the pre-Crisis Amazons had.

70's Marvel had a bunch of guys pretty much determined to get whatever they could past editorial. Jim Starlin would turn things in at the last possible moment so there was no time to make changes because it was more important to get it published on time.

Also some of those guys managed to get the sweet gig of being their own editor.

Fuck. Electro even had yellow lipstick on in one of the close up shots.

hatemail!