Voltron Legendary Defender

Rewatched Season 3, and trying to wrap my head around Lotor's ultimate plan and how far it extends. Right now it seems like his plans revolve entirely over usurping his father for control of the Galra Empire, and any talk about "reforming" it is just a sham just to get the people on his side because he's power-hungry. Any of the stuff about Quintessence and the Druids is probably going to be more tied up with Haggar and Zarkon's side of the story.

Other urls found in this thread:

thewrap.com/netflix-voltron-executive-producers/
smolsarcasticraspberry.tumblr.com/post/164262241177/lyancesbayard-keithkogayne
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyway, one thing I'm still unclear about is whether Lotor or Haggar is in charge of Operation Kuron. Haggar was the one experimenting on Shiro and talking about making him into a perfect weapon, but episode 6 implies Lotor is able to spy on the team through Kuron's eyes after he joins the team. On the other hand, Haggar and Lotor clearly aren't getting along, so it's unlikely that both of them are working together on Kuron.

It seems like Lotor seems to have noticed a shakeup on the team which goes beyond Keith just being a shitty pilot. Maybe he's had his hands in the Kuron project since Seasons 1 and 2, was using Season 1/2 Shiro to take Zarkon down for him and feeding him memories to make the job easier, and the disappearance of Shiro at the end of Season 2 meant he lost his team spy, but it didn't impact his strategies until after he was recalled from exile.

Honestly, I'm expecting something dumb like he's trying to find a way to get back to the dimension with the fucking space meth creatures that corrupted his parents

Of course the other alternative to all of this is that Lotor has nothing to do with Operation Kuron at all and is really just that much of a genius Mary Sue strategist and can see through literally everyone's keikaku. But that's no fun at all.

thewrap.com/netflix-voltron-executive-producers/
>The two also knew they wanted to create a highly-serialized story — the complete opposite of the original — but sometimes struggled with not making it too serialized or too character-driven. Both Dos Santos and Montgomery come from other animated shows like “Avatar: The Last Airbender” and its sequel “The Legend of Korra,” which are both long, character-driven stories made primarily for young audiences, but also for older ones. They have experience with balancing humor and drama, along with mature storylines and more kid-friendly ones.

>“Sometimes we want to do episodes that are extremely intimate and focus on one character’s thing. At some point you have to realize that there’s going to be this 6-year-old watching this person cry at the camera for 22 minutes,” Dos Santos said. “It’s striking that balance between telling that story and getting the dramatic performances across but also making sure that it’s a giant robot show about give lions running around the galaxy and blowing things up.”

Haggar's comments almost assuredly refer to the robeast project, Zarkon had no clue and she's hyper loyal enough to not keep something like that from him

never forget

He's building his own damn robot combiner or his new ship is a transformer. He's already turned the "Voltron meteor" into his own new spaceship and he's got a harem quartet to work in tandem with him in the arms and legs.

Personally I don't think he cares about the alternate universe beyond potential immortality. Voltron, however, is the ultimate loose end. His dad got his ass handed to him, the lions choose their pilots, and worse can chose to reject past pilots as well.

Damn Alteans ruined that shit. But with a new meteor he can build a new combiner to his liking and (hopefully) be on equal footing with the one potential threat to his empire. Why bother not trying to destroy the lion combiner if his space combiner works just as well (and its keys are in his pocket?) Further more, given how Voltron has in very quick order spread hope and undermined the Galra authority on a morale level, Lotor riding in in his own Voltron and destroying the legendary defender would basically cerement his status and give him a super direct path to leadership.

Most likely. Only thing is, "another guy who takes over the universe again" seems like a huge step back down after they introduced the backstory for Zarkon and Haggar. I know the staff likes to bullshit a lot because it makes the show look good but they've mentioned in interviews that Lotor is more complicated than he seems and I'm hoping it's not just "he's not just smart, he's SUPER smart".

Honestly my highest hope for Lotron is that it actually provides some measure of peril in the mech battle sequences. We've yet to see a single lion or Voltron get a scratch on it. Hard to really feel like anyone's in danger when the worst that ever happens is some flashing red lights and alarms. I wanna see some Voltron Lion Battle Damage.

He's going to find a cure for his parents and at the same time try to unite the universe.

This brings 2 things to him but at the same time brings the dilemma to the fighters. Do they attack someone that is uniting multiple races and help his family? It's what they'd want.

>there are people who like Keith and tolerated him in S3 episode 3
Name one thing he did that wasn't stupid as fuck

How come the lions when they were newly built and being introduced to the Paladins had scratches on them already?

Probably supposed to be specular highlights but the desaturated colors make them look like scuffed paint.

He got mad at Allura for being a shit pilot instead of holding her hand.

His harem is never going to get any decent development or explanation as to why they follow Lotor, are they?

I guess your explanation is as good as mine. I was just figuring that they just re-used the character models for the lions.

Doesn't look like it was intended as highlights to me.

Maybe Alteans are just shitty painters.
Also QUALITY

I'm waiting for the next season to get a better understanding about what Lotor is trying to accomplish. Zarkon's plan was to gather the lions and to go into other realities, so far Lotor is building his reputation as well as his own Voltron.

I fucking hate Keith.
>There are people who will drop the show if Shiro dies or becomes a background character

>was quick to abandon her(unlike Hunk) while she was crashing into everything because he tried to rush his teammates who hadn't gotten used to their lions yet, and all for a mission where he fell straight into Lotor's trap
Reminder that Hunk is best boy and Lance was RIGHT

The best part is he also hadn't gotten used to HIS lion and was fucking up too. Keith a dumb.

No yeah it definitely looks like scuffed paint to me, I think they just reused the models. I noticed that in the episode too and it bugged me. Woulda been cool to see them all fresh and shiny and new and not quite be able to tell what was different about them.

>there are people praying the lion swap isn't permanent
>there are people still bootyblasted that Allura isn't black paladin, even after Thayserix
>there are people who say they love Shiro but can't imagine him doing anything but piloting Black
>there are people who think Kuron is a good boy

>it's shitting on Keith hours

Guess I'll Pidgepost. Anyone scared they're going to significantly drop her character time once Matt comes back as her main arc will be resolved?

I want to laugh at people who'd drop the show if Shiro died or was never a pilot again, but if the same happened to my own favorite (Pidge), there's a decent chance I'd drop it myself. Seasno 3 was good enough without much Pidge that I don't think I would, but I'd still be pretty annoyed.

I'm looking forward to it.

>there are people who don't love Keith

Definitely. That ship was converted WAY too fast. Lotor already found a meteor and converted it. The other meteor is being made into the other half of his mecha. The ship we saw was the legs.

I would've consider dropping it if they killed off Shiro in Season 2, but that's less out of Shirofaggotry specifically and more that given all the hints at there being more to Shiro than it initially seemed, it would've been incredibly bad writing and cheap shock value to do so.

I'm glad it's starting to pay off though, I was one of the people making clone theories in the season 1 talkback threads and after the childishness of season 2 I'm glad it's turning out that this show isn't way too far below my level after all.

Nah, we'll get an episode that delves into the descrimination hybrid Galra face. They might even be treated worse than aliens that are 0% Galra.

I for one like the idea of Keith being separated from the gang and also turning purple, getting attacked by the first group he encounters either because he's Galra or because he's a filthy half breed. This is when Lotor's crew shows up and saves him and takes him in. They tell Keith about how they all joined up with Lotor. The prince may or may not know the entire time that they have a Paladin in their midst.

There's still Sam to worry about. I like to think that bringing Matt into the fold will create a whole new character arc (my pet theory is that matt and his rebels will be very ends-justify-the-means types and team voltron will take issue with that).

But now that you've mentioned it I've become worried that this'll happen. The spotlight was fairly well balanced in season 1 (except for Keith who got very little focus) so I expected to remain an ensemble cast, but it's really turned into The Keith Show as of seasons 2 and 3, and I hope that's just a temporary thing.

Definitely. I mean, I'd keep watching Voltron even if my fave lost main cast billing, but there have been other shows before where having my fave leave took the shine off watching it.

on the other hand it would have been weak if Keith made a big stink about not wanting to lead, not being ready, and then was good at it anyway. Thayserix was fucking painful but at least he learned and we got some really good Allura moments, so I ain't mad. i thought it was funny that in the next episode he was SUPER suspicious about Lotor keikaku and ended up being fucking right

I love Keith!

There's so much salt waiting to be spilled.

I'm guessing if Kuron goes the Ryou path they'll have him occasionally jump into Blue whenever Allura needs to do some Quintessence related shenanigans on the ship.

See, I thought it seemed like the ship got made ridiculously fast too, but none of the characters even commented on that, which made me wonder if they just didn't clearly indicated how much time had passed since Lotor stole the meteor? You'd expect them to at least mention it if the speed with which he built the legs ship was going to be a future plot point.

>there are still people who believe Lance will pilot Black

oh and the way he comforted Allura after that was pretty nice, since he had literally just learned the same lesson himself. 2bh i wasn't too fond of Keith but s3 has turned me around on him

Has this person seen the article where Lauren says she's been planning on staying faithful to DotU's lion/paladin pairs from the start?

Why is Naruto piloting a mech?

I'm betting Romelle is going to show up sometime soon and be able to provide that royal altean energy they need to fuel the ship. Considering how important that'd wind up being, I wouldn't be surprised if we meet her in season 4.

I need these two to interact face-to-face in season four.

>there are people who think Kuron is a good boy

Kuron IS a good boy. Guarantee any bad shit he does will be entirely against his will.

or Blue opening up a wormhole in the first episode wasn't a total plothole and she'll just be able to do it from her lion eventually

When do they reveal that Pidge and Hunk are going at it like rabbits?

I can't stand him. He's so bland.

Also his fanbase here is now just as obnoxious and shitposty as the Shirofags were in 2016.

>Pidge being into 3DPD
>Hunk making love out of wedlock

The fuck? Why is Lance like this?

>tfw both of them are probably dead

This series would have been so much better if it was aimed at 12 year olds instead of 6 year olds.

To each their own, I try not to talk about him on /vld/ too much because I know it get's annoying.

>I like to think that bringing Matt into the fold will create a whole new character arc (my pet theory is that matt and his rebels will be very ends-justify-the-means types and team voltron will take issue with that).

You have more faith in this show than I do. I suspect Matt will just spew a bunch of exposition and then never really show up again. What can they really do with him once he's shown up and they've gotten all the "what the fuck have you been up to, Matt?" stuff out of the way?

tohse digits... Lance's birthing hips are breaking reality

It's Lotron, the finale next season will be like one of my japanese robot shows.

I bet this person is one of those landwhale "fandom moms" who ships Shallura.

He's a desperate bimbo.

The show in general is pretty unclear about the timing and scale of things. Like how long it took for Lotor to come back and when Kuron got activated in relation to Zarkon's defeat, which would probably clear up how much Lotor knows and if he's been using S1/2 Shiro to spy on the team the whole time.

Lance doesn't have birthing hips.

Kek. You're right on the money.

Lance will be the final villain

This is one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen on these threads.

People were making this same argument about Shiro (if hes not piloting a lion what will he do??) and they seem to have some interesting shit going down with him anyway. S3 was good enough that I'm more than happy to give them the benefit of the doubt for a while but ymmv of course

With a chin like that, how could he not be the villain?

Then why do I want to try filling him up with babies, user? checkmate.

They probably saw it and completely ignored it.

>smolsarcasticraspberry.tumblr.com/post/164262241177/lyancesbayard-keithkogayne
She's a hardcore Shirofag who only wants Kuron to not be Shiro because black rejected him. If black rejected Shiro than that means that Shiro will never be able to pilot. Not that it would matter since he'll gladly give black over to Keith.

>There are people who will drop the show if Shiro dies or becomes a background character

I wouldn't drop the show per se, but my opinion on it would lower significantly if the resolution to Shiro's story is just him dying unceremoniously, despite all this build up they've been working on since the very first episode. That's just poor writing. And I wouldn't blame the ardent Shirofags, or any characterfags for that matter, if they stopped watching once their favorite gets shafted. It's not like this is high art that you should appreciate on every level, it's an average at best children's show.

>look at what tumblr's up to guys

Goddamn, who fucking cares.

>if hes not piloting a lion what will he do??
The people that continue to mention this obviously haven't bothered to read the wiki page on Sven.

I'm honestly surprised I'm not seeing much on Romelle on the tags considering how dangerously close we are to finally getting her.

im ok with the paladin swap, i just want them to swap the colors of there suits. its bothering me more then it should

smolsarcasticrapberry's theories are garbage because she wears the shipping goggles on too tight. Everything she interprets goes through shallurashit lenses, similar to how heero-yuy sees everything as sheith.

Reminder that this guy has Altean markings!

heero-yuy is delusional and I say this as a Sheith shipper.

Alright I enjoy the show and characters but I must ask, WHAT THE FUCK IS A TICK AND VERGON!?

>if hes not piloting a lion what will he do??

The people who mention this are clearly daft as it's been obvious from the getgo that Shiro has been built up for a Winter Soldier type situation. He's not just "the guy who pilots Black Lion/the leader".

Romelle is going to break the fandom in half over her knee, and I'm really interested in seeing what Lauren does with her fav since VLD Allura has taken up a lot of her character traits.

>Keith and Allura are siblings
Even better.

I wonder how those 6 year olds feel about mantits and tentacle rape crabs.

You should see autumn's nice Romelle picture in it at least. People are refusing to acknowledge her because it'll end the whole 'space gays in space' thing.

The only Romelle posts I have seen are people who think she will be Keith's mom (because everyone has to be related to Keith in this show except for Lance), fearing that her appearance will destroy their rando Shiro/Allura ship, and some who just want more female characters. This fandom is full of newfags.

Tick = second
Varga = hour

When Romelle is revealed I'm going to make a Bane-breaking-Batman edit.

All I'm saying that a trip to the voltron wiki can answer that question.

I've seen it! Very nice interpretation.

slurp

That's cute but I want Romelle to be white.

I'm really curious how similar they're going to make Romelle to Allura in this incarnation. Unless they're going to repeat the rapey Lotor wanting Allura plotline don't think there's much currency in having her be an Allura clone.

Then why don't they just use second or minute. If it were me I would honestly keep using it despite what space mom says

>shallura fandom's mocktail aunt.
Jesus, I was only kidding but it turns out to be true.

>I'm still sticking with Keith and Allura being siblings
HolyfuckingKEK.

>final villain

comeon user, how can you even say that when this guy`s segwayying about?

A white and blonde Romelle would be 9/11 tier of asshurt.

>despite what space mom says
>Allura
>space mom

>but I want Romelle to be white

Well she won't be, so brace yourself for disappointment.

Blaytz was killed by Zarkon, brutally, but mercifully quickly. Sevant boy, however, had to slowly die in concentration camp for Galra traitors.

I think it's pretty easy to guess since shallurashits always give off that landwhale, twi-mom, snapewives type of vibe.

Meant dad (Shiro). I am very drunk right now.

Add legal loli to the mix and those Shallura fans would have a collective aneurism.

I don't think they'll make Lotor rapey, but perhaps interested in Allura as she would be the perfect person who is strong and determined to rule with him. Note he will never say something like "beautiful" or "lovely" because they really don't want Rape Lotor.

I hope they make Romelle distinct from Allura. I wouldn't mind if she's soft but still just as strong if not stronger or more confidant than Allura.

I want Romelle to kill all Galra

I'm still looking forward to the paladins finally meeting Lotor face to face and their probably humorous reactions to realizing he's a handsome space Drow and not a freaky reptilian like his dad.

How do you think each of the paladins will react when they discover the truth behind Operation Kuron?

Given they say they're not actually beholden to ratings but are choosing to self-censor for the sake of their audiences I'm worried they're gimping their own storylines this way.