The guy behind Pete's Dragon is now working on a live action Peter Pan for Disney. Oh Lord, make it stop

The guy behind Pete's Dragon is now working on a live action Peter Pan for Disney. Oh Lord, make it stop.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WMeTL1seIWo
youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wRv8vTpxo
youtube.com/watch?v=0fZVA9TPwj8
youtube.com/watch?v=VU81i45wn_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>on a live action Peter Pan for Disney
There have been about 3 of them in the last 20 years. And I'm not even counting tv shows. I don't think a single ones turned a profit.

Fuck you I liked it

What the fuck are they going to do once they've run out of movies to remake? Remake them again? This is getting ridiculous.

I've seen Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast. Both were shit. I'm sure the rest of them are/will be shit too.

They've made a billion Peter Pan movies already. I hate this "remake everything" fad, it's literally the new "give everything a sequel" fad.

Aren't they doing these live action remakes just to keep a hold on the rights to these IPs a la Mickey Mouse like almost 100 years ago?

Live-action Fantasia.

I plan to watch Mulan to see how Disney pulls off a live-action war film with no blood

Also that bathing scene with the guys in live action, first boner in theaters

Haven't we had, like, 4 of them already?

Peter should be played by a woman

I want out of this timeline.

Pete's Dragon was a childhood favorite but Peter Pan was IT for me. My favorite movie, my favorite character, read all the books, always Fast Pass that shit when I go to the Magic Kingdom.

Why don't they just go back to 2D animation? At least sometimes? Beyond Toy Story and Frozen, none of it has felt particularly Disney to me.

The original stories should either be in public domain or recent enough that that shouldn't be an issue yet.

There's a live action Sorcerer's Apprentice movie. It probably doesn't resemble the Fantasia segment at all but it's there.

>Why don't they just go back to 2D animation? At least sometimes?
Because that Winnie the Pooh movie they released on the same weekend as the final Harry Potter movie bombed therefore no one is interested in 2D animation anymore and it's no longer profitable.

Although with all the 80s and 90s nostalgia fests going on recently, it would make perfect sense to do a movie closer to the Renaissance era movies now.

>live action Peter Pan
For what purpose.
Hook was the apex of that idea. You can't get any better. Is it by hubris or foolishness do they try?

>The guy behind Pete's Dragon is now working on a live action Peter Pan for Disney.

That's good news, actually. The recent Pete's Dragon movie got good reviews. I've always hated Peter Pan, though.

>therefore no one is interested in 2D animation anymore
But...
>Although with all the 80s and 90s nostalgia fests going on recently, it would make perfect sense to do a movie closer to the Renaissance era movies now.
Yeah!

Also, although I love WtP in general, maybe go for an original, legitimate feature, not some recycled shit with a legacy character.

Just tell us a new story and use classic Disney animation.

>What the fuck are they going to do once they've run out of movies to remake
Stuffs leaving copyright all the time my friend.

I hadn't thought about it.
You bring up some very interesting points

>I plan to watch Mulan to see how Disney pulls off a live-action war film with no blood

I haven't seen Mulan, but it's always funny to see kid friendly cartoons try to do sword fighting where no one stabs each other. I did watch the villain death scene in Mulan where Mulan just kicks him into fireworks, instead of slicing him with the sword she had.

creativity is dead.

No, it isn't
You just need to avoid Disney and other big name producers

That's because, has this stupid franchise EVER been truly popular? Serious question. Has it ever been popular? Always hated it even when young.

most creative AND succesful studios are the ones that flipped a finger at disney and said "fuck it, i'm going to do this MY way".

this needs to happen again.

>That's because, has this stupid franchise EVER been truly popular?
In the Edwardian era, but that ended 103 years ago. And the sort of twisted cruel innocence of Peter Pan and J.M. Barrie stopped really working after WW1.

Popular enough for them to keep trying. The main issue is that none of the live action films have the heart of the source material. Hook comes close but still wasn't an amazing movie.

I hope they pull off the Crocodile and his personality instead of just lazily having him be a huge monster for one action scene like all the other Pan movies. Seriously, the first time they had him be giant it was cool. The three films after it's become cliche. Tick Tock is my favorite Disney character because he's actually funny while also being menacing.

There's been theories that Disney made that Pooh movie just so it could fail and nobody being interested in 2D is their line of thinking about it.
youtube.com/watch?v=WMeTL1seIWo

The main problem is that these remakes and sequels have been consistently pulling in more money so that's just what they're going to do. The only way they'll stop is if multiple movies start bombing in a row or they find something else that makes even more money.

It's pretty popular among both Disney and mainstream fans as far as non-princess Disney films go. It's up there with Jungle Book if not moreso. Anytime there's crossover fairy tale franchises like Once Upon a Time fans always are hyped to see what they do with the Pan stuff. It still resonates with young kids judging by how popular the peter pan and the pirates show is/was. Also the Tinker Bell fairy stuff was super popular for awhile. The issue with the live action films is that they flat out haven't been very good.

>Hook comes close
Really? I'd say the 2003 came closest to the book/play. They even had Jason Isaacs play Hook and Mr Darling like the stage adaptations do

Also female guests try molesting Peter Pan at the Disney parks on a regular basis. Up there with Jack Sparrow.

So, did people forget about this movie already?

youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wRv8vTpxo

Oh yeah you're right I'm an idiot. That actually was way more faithful than Hook. Sorry, It's early.

We tried to.

The thing is this will be based on Disney's Peter Pan which is really its own creature compared to the book. It'll be similar to Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast in that it'll be closer to the characterizations made popular by Disney. Peter will be a ginger, Michael will have a top hat, Hook will be camp but menacing, Crocodile will be based, etc.

Having just looked that up I can see why.

The red man will still be red....

The lost boys will still be furries...

Man they had live-action Peter Pan's 30 years ago. I remember one my cousin seemed to like watching all the time. It wasn't bad, but was kinda low budget.

Nothing new. Not to mention I thought Hook turned out pretty damn good. Though that might have been because of Robin Williams (God rest your soul, sweet prince).

Think that and following the leader were my favourite Disney songs as a kid. Thank God there aren't many American Indians in Britain.

Then I guess we know what the next Disney remake will be.

been done, however they couldnt make the protag a fox.

>There's been theories that Disney made that Pooh movie just so it could fail and nobody being interested in 2D is their line of thinking about it.
I'm sure that's precisely the idea and from a business standpoint, yeahhh, I get it BUT I know there's still a market for it and animating 2D is much less expensive than 3D as long as your team is efficient and not too bloated in terms of salaries.

Also, at some point, should Disney recognize their own history and acknowledge that the empire was built on animated 2D films, that little past that era will have the staying power that their early works did, and perhaps it's important to at least keep a toe in the water there?

Just wait for the crossover: Pete Pan's Dragon

no it was built on exploiting talented people and leaving them as empty husks afterwards

Jungle book was actually pretty good.

and then they changed the ending to promote diversity, instead of letting mowgli grow up

Based Don Bluth had sword fights in his kid friendly cartoon The Secret of NIHM. With blood and everything.

I remember as a kid I hated that he went to live a boring human life instead with the animals he had known. So I actually like the new ending.

I know all about that and, desu, if we still had stuff like Don Bluth Productions pumping out excellent shit in the style of Disney I would care where I was getting my fix from.

But great works of art were produced through that exploitation and that's even more of a reason why the medium should continue, albeit in a sensible, fair way so that all parties are properly treated.

This is the only movie of theirs that would benefit from a remake, as long as it's like the stage-musical.

>I've seen Maleficent and Beauty and the Beast. Both were shit.

THANK YOU

Everyone is just so afraid to just come out and say it, they always apologize for these shit films when the original animated versions are oozing with charm and beauty

I even don't like the new Jungle Book. The original is so charming this new one just can't compete

>underestimating the power of the Disney logo

Yeah, Pete's Dragon didn't do well, but that's because no one gives a shit about Pete's Dragon

>What the fuck are they going to do once they've run out of movies to remake?
Do you not realize how long that would take?

Imagine being Captain Hook and finally being able to sodomize Peter Pan.

SOON

lion king comes first

good, lord, how it's going to look?!

Blame Twilight.

Fug

lassetter fired the people who did those straight to dvd sequels, now disney found another way to milk old franchises.

his work was for naught.

I'd rather wait for Peter Pan's Labyrinth

This.

Hook is the best rendition of Peter pan. Fuck off disney.

I grew up on a reservation all my life and I still loved Peer Pan.
Instead of taking offense at their portrayal, I just figured that's the strange customs of some other tribe.

I remember hating Hook as a child just because Robin Williams wasn't as good looking as any of the cartoon Peters.
I was a shallow little shit.

>A studio decides to pick up that Dragon's Lair movie
>They make it 3d and butcher it to hell and back
I'm scared

You forget his god-like abilities
>he just imagines a defense mechanism a-la that movie Teeth

>implying Peter doesn't want this to happen

>I was a shallow little shit.
No worries as a 12 year old homo the Jeremy Sumpter Peter Pan was my favorite movie

Don't do that to me, my man. I just got a cold fucking chill at the prospect.

Original Pete's Dragon or the weird CGI green Tiger one?

>2017
>being of the homosexual variety
Wew lad.

I FEEL STUPID
AND CONTAGIOUS
HERE WE ARE NOW
ENTERTAIN US

youtube.com/watch?v=0fZVA9TPwj8
>KINO

Hook.

youtube.com/watch?v=VU81i45wn_U

>never watched Mulan
If you don't know about something then shut the fuck up.

i forgot about that tinkerbell.

made me really sad when she took that baby to neverland.

READ THE BOOKS PLEB

>Michael will have a top hat
John always had a hat. In the book they knock the top out and use it as a chimney for the wendy house.

Yeah it's going to happen with all of that pent up artistic rebellion in such daring pieces as The Emoji Movie, The Boss Baby, and Secret Life of Pets.

Just keep your head down until Hollywood goes belly up in a decade.