Is this how you do a legacy hero right? Seriously, why do I like Toni so much and Riri so little?

Is this how you do a legacy hero right? Seriously, why do I like Toni so much and Riri so little?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocutioner
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman_(comics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Riri was made backwards by one of the worst mainstream writers around solely to get royalty money.

Because Riri was shoe-horned in. Toni was integrated well into an already established chronology.

Like seriously? They already had a black genuis girl in the Iron Man storyline.

Fucking Rhodey's NIECE

She's why Riri bothers me so much because it shows they didn't even look into the pre-existing world for characters to use they just started again.

The focus issue the OP pic is from was actually a really great issue. Toni has been around for two series but this was the first time they really plugged her background, and they put her in a situation similar to the one her dad was in with Tony Stark himself. Worked very well.

That said she's pretty much given up the Iron Patriot mantle as of this issue of USAvengers.

Because Bendis can't be bothered with chronology. He has to make his own oc kid inserts.

Yes but that writer doesn't sell while the creator of Riri has his lips wrapped around Marvel editorial's collective dick.

Bendis hates continuity and thinks it holds back his superior writing.

Any future use of Riri from others also drops money right into Bendis' pockets as well.

That's ultimately the reason he created a new character to drop into a Marvel book, provided he was smart enough with royalties.

I'd prefer her in something like the RESCUE armour, or something like Enigma.

Like I said she's established well within the canon as it is, honestly not using her in Riri's place was a biiig mistake.

I really like Kenan but I'm not sure if he counts as a legacy character since Superman is still active

Legacy doesn't require the original to go away

Knowing that Bendis is one of Perlmutter's top toadies. All we can see from Riri is on the TV MCUverse seeing how Feige won't even touch anyone or anything associated with Perlmutter.

Why did you think they made Ned Leeds into basically Ganke Lee in the MCU without even referring him to who he truly is.

In fact, if you want it to work you probably don't ever do that.

It's especially glaring because her taking up the mantle would have a lot more gravitas due to Rhodey dying.

In the end legacies are supposed to add to the mythos of a shared universe and show a somewhat long-term evolution of what superheroes mean by inspiring others to take up mantles. I don't think the specifics of replacement or not matter as much as the execution of the idea and how respectful you are to the established history.

Though typically even in cases where direct replacement happens and does matter to the narrative there's point where you can say that the original probably could come back without harming it much (like disregarding what ultimately happened with editorial and all, Wally West after Return of Barry Allen probably didn't need Barry to stay dead anymore because he got over it in the sense of his heroic journey).

>In the end legacies are supposed to add to the mythos of a shared universe and show a somewhat long-term evolution of what superheroes mean by inspiring others to take up mantles.

It definitely doesn't help if the legacy hero is taking up the mantle because they just think they're flat out better than the original and want to prove it.

This is a self-defeating argument because it reveals the poster considers black girls interchangeable, and that "black genius girl" is an acceptable summation of a character.

That's what Riri ended up being regardless, but two wrongs don't make a right.

>Ewing lost his chance at a Iron Man legacy character to Bendis
>Lost his summer event to Spencer and had to compress it to one issue
>Has to change the name of his book to something no one's ever heard of because someone else might want to use the actual title
>his good comics keep getting cancelled to make way for more web comic garbage
>somehow even his out of 616 book got sucked into and killed by an event
>stuck writing the rotting corpse of Inhumans and fucking Rocket Racoon and still manages to make them great
Marvel can die in a fire

She was never going to be anything other than "black genius girl" at the start, because that's the whole reason she was made. There's no reason to blow the other user up for treating a tool like a tool.

Also the fact that Nadia Wasp supporting cast containing a whole cast of brown girls. Who's characters can be summed up as "Quirky Genius Brown Girl" and nothing else. They pretty much the same character.

>This is a self-defeating argument because it reveals the poster considers black girls interchangeable

No, it doesn't. The fact is that Bendis wanted a "black genius girl" character. That was his summation of Riri from the very beginning. That was her "character".

However, there was already an established character interwoven into the Iron Man mythos, with a direct relationship to a recently deceased friend of Tony, that had previously worked on various Iron Man and Warmachine suits in the past, that also checked Bendis' boxes without being explicitly created for the sole purpose of checking said boxes. It would have been logical in-universe for Lila to take up the mantle in the absence of both her uncle and Stark, and right out of the gate she would have an infinitely more compelling motivation to do so that isn't "well, one time I whined at my elementary school teacher until she mock-oppressed me by saying I couldn't become Iron Man, so I grew up and stole shit from my university to build a prototype Iron Man suit of my own before blasting off so I wouldn't have to face any repercussions for my actions".

>Royals
>great
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Its pretty much the attitude destroying Marvel Comics.

Yep, it's not about actual diversity or characterization anymore.

Diversity = Money in Bendis' eyes.

There are instances where that character conflict can work (Damian Wayne) if the point is bringing him into the fold by having him learn he's wrong. But ultimately the people actually writing/editing it need to have respect for the originals.

Miles has always been about fucking money.

Reason he left him as Ult Peter in blackface and since then has left him mainly blank personality. So they can cast any fucker they want as him when the time comes and don't have to worry about a type.

Well, yes. If the hero they're replacing only serves to feed their ego, or is written in a way that suggests they really ARE inferior/wrong, then it's doomed to fail.

Granted, it's not all that difficult to be a better person / less of a fuck up than Tony Stark.

Another thing about Damian Wayne that made him work is that Morrison didn't try to shove him down our throats and make us like him. He was originally only supposed to be in in the Batman and Son arc, but he was so popular he was brought back like three years later.

>Toni would take up the mantle to honor both her father and the oath that Tony Stark took to honor him as well.

>Riri takes it up to prove she's smart... and stuff.

Base reason Riri pretty much sucks.

The real reason for these genius black woman in comic is that the writers (Bendis and Jeremy Whitley) can show off their brown daughters for profits.

Their like more smug and unlikable versions of Maes Hughes from Fullmetal Alchemist.

I think as of U.S.Avengers #9 she's kind of stepped away from having to be an Iron Man type. Maybe not.

THIS. A character feels a lot less forced when she's been around for a while. Riri just came out of nowhere like a Mary Sue.

To be fair, that poster isn't so much saying "black genius girls" are interchangeable, as they're saying "Marvel wanted to use a black genius girl (and didn't care about any other aspects of her character)." In that light, it makes no sense why they wouldn't go with the pre-existing character to both fulfill their agenda and make an interesting comic book.

>Morrison didn't try to shove him down our throats and make us like him
What are you even talking about? Damian is about as gimmicky as a character can get.

>master assassin
>knows who the fuck how many languages
>advanced knowledge for his age
>all before he's even 15

The only reason he worked is because he was an interesting foil to both Bruce and Dick.

This guy gets it.

Damien worked because he was also a raving asshole, which saved him from full on Marty Studom.

Morrison didn't portray him as ultra competent, potential for it one day, but Bruce tells him he is laughably not ready and Tim bests him in a fight. All in the first story arc.

I agree to some degree but does that mean every Batman from batman inc is a legacy? i.e Batman of Russia, Japan, etc.

Yes.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a legacy taking up a mantle because they think they're better and want to prove it (see the already mentioned Damian Wayne). The problem is when the writer advocates that view as being actually true above all else and shallowly forces the story to prove it by bolstering up the legacy to the point of nausea and disrespecting/shitting all over the original.

Bendis is 100% the latter, which is why you've got shit like Riri being better than Stark in every single possible way, with the universe itself bending over backwards to show off just how great and awesome and better-than-Stark she is. Bendis isn't alone in this at all, either, especially at Marvel.

I feel like there's a better term for it but I guess you're right.

He also seems to be the main janitor when it comes to inventing justifications in tie in issues to make sense out of events. His run during civil war was basically cleaning up after Bendis' monkey shit.

Wow, Ewing managed to capture Stark's character in 5 panels, while Gillen and Bendis have struggled to do it since 2012...

The issue was good desu so let's read it and consider what Ewing does right that Bendis does wrong.

oooh storytime??

Why would it be in USAvnegers tho?

Damian was also an obnoxious little shit that was written like Morrison wanted him to be disliked for his arrogance. He was shown repeatedly to not be nearly as competent as he thought he was, on top of being an obnoxious little shit. His entire first arc was learning his actual place (at the bottom of the Bat-pole), and he didn't really come into his own until Dickbats.

Compare to Riri, who is also an arrogant, obnoxious little shit, but instead of being torn down for it so she can learn from her misplaced arrogance, she's always being proven right instead.

Background I guess. Not really important.

Yeah this is issue 8, so the one before the one that came out this week.

Legacies characters only work if you remove the older hero or got a pretty interesting gimmick. Or been a sidekick for a long time.

1. Good example: Blue beetle.
2. Bad example: Jason todd.

This is good, because I've only read up to Issue #7.

But bad, because I'm leaving for work now.

Hope this thread is still up when I get back.

If Riri eventually ends up in a movie, Bendis will have his name in the credits. That wouldn't happen with Lila.

See, back when Riri first debuted, this confused the shit out of me. I thought this page WAS setting up Rhodey's niece to be the legacy Iron Man that was being announced. Turns out it was some comoletely unrelated other black girl.

She's not, Bendis is one of Perlmutter's biggest ass kissers (being in his creative committee). And Feige hates Perlmutter.

Same, I didn't even know why people were so mad at the announcement of the new Iron Man being a black girl until I realized it was some shitty OC.

Come on Toni, you know dam well that you're dad was bald as fuck.

Thats a pretty milfy school...
tbqh famuliar, Jason being a shit works now that he is the black sheep of the batfam.

Why is Squirrelgirl so adorable and great in this series but so lame in her own stuff?

What's that suit do, drink vodka for power and fight with knives?

Ditto.

Someone suggested the reason is that Marvel and Ike like Bendis, but hate Lila's creator, Ales Kot (who managed to be so SJW even Marvel couldn't stand him anymore.)

I like Lila, but Kot is a million times worse a person than Bendis.

Aikku was raised in Norway so she lacks full Finnish powers.

A French nationalist hero called Guillotine?

That's like having an American nationalist hero named "Lynchman" or something.

Man, that's gay.

Well, Aikku and Toni are gay for each other, so...

maybe he went bald while a prisoner, and she last saw him with hair?

I hope we get to see Hauptmann Deutschland at some point.

Or Ol' Sparky.

they are in lesbians, user

I'm pretty sure the Revolution is still celebrated in France.

FIN(N)

OK so some counterpoints:

1) Lacks the racial overtones of lynching
2) Lynching was never the state-sponsored method of execution up until the 1980s in the USA like the guillotine was
3) While the Reign of Terror was certainly bad, the French Revolution as a whole has a pretty positive or at least ambiguous reception worldwide. A lot of things we think are good today have their origin point there. Lynchings generally don't have that kinda reception.
4) Guillotine's sword is explicitly an evil sword and she's a Punisher-type hero so it's not really surprising she has an edgy name.

It is a bit like but I mean:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocutioner
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hangman_(comics)

"Hangman" would be the equivalent to "Guillotine", not "Lynchman"

Ares got better from being torn apart by Bob, I see.
Also wasn't red hulk Ross??

At the least the puns where good.

Riri is unlikeable.

Ares came back in Ewing's Contest of Champions. This Red Hulk is not Ross.

This is a different Rulk.

Wait...Ares was revived after Secret Wars?

Ross was repowered during Duggan's hulk run, originally Ewing was going to have Ross turned back into the red hulk for this team but marvel made him change it.

Yes, he was brought back in the contest of champions book along with Stick.

Yes.

And Night Thrasher.

He was depowered, no repowered.

That's weird. They got squirrel girl all wrong. She's supposed to be fat, flat, and ugly - and also self congratulatory at every turn.

>already established chronology of retcons that had random holes in it

fixed.

Only for him to soon become a victim of synergy when the show comes out, at least Squirrel Girl will benefit visually from the synergy.