GI Joe

Is the GI Joe franchise failing because the whole "Let's make children's entertainment about military operations" is kind of dated and a bit fucked up?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2IeK656TXaE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's because it's increasingly hard to get guns or even gunlike weapons into kids' cartoons IMO.

How is that fucked up? I thought it was cool
Cartoons are failing because they don't have anything cool in them like guns or military operations

Probably has more to do with Hasbro being dumb.

>a bit fucked up

pussy

Because GI Joe is rooted to its time, when unironic patriotism and rooting for soldiers to fight evil nations was cool instead of looked down upon. Transformers can be made forever because it's just robots who turn into cars fighting robots who turn into jets, while GI Joe is hard to modernize while keeping it aimed at kids.

It's because it's hard to sell the Americans as the good guys anymore

Islam terrorism changed everything
War in Afghanistan, Iraq etc
People are sick of it and want escapism into gay universe or autism time

It's because people are finally realizing the military aren't heroes.

ORANGE TRANSPARENT ELBOW JOINTS

You can make a military sci fi franchise out of them (instead of going with hardcore realistic military stories which is dumb) or you can exploit the fact that each of them has a specialty and do something interesting with that like Overwatch has done (and Overwatch doesn't particularly have an interesting story).

I don't mean it's fucked up because it's violent, I mean it's fucked up because of how they had to bend and twist the concept of the military just to appeal to children.

Real people fight and die over complex issues, which are often pretty depressing and the military are more or less put into action as a consequence of failing diplomacy.

Turning that into a simplistic laser between the forces of good and bad guys who are pretty much just evil for the sake of being evil or in service of Lovecraftian snake abominations, it seems kind of fucked up.

It has less to do with Hasbro making a Radioactive Snake-Eyes figure, and everything to do with Hasbro not making many GI Joe figures at all after the last movie.

That movie was successful enough to get a sequel greenlit within days of release, but it's years later and there's no progress on another movie. Outside of Hama's book, IDW don't really know what to do with the comics. There isn't a cartoon.

GI Joe isn't failing because there's no audience for it, it's failing because Hasbro are mis-managing the franchise spectacularly, and don't even care, because Transformers, Star Wars and Marvel are making them enough money.

That could work. Make more character-focused episodes (one for Lady Jaye, one for Snake Eyes, one for Baroness, etc). And maybe make some Cobra episodes where they fight and win against other villains so they seem less pathetic than they were in the old show.

Gi Joe was never good. It was always more about selling toys to kids.

Toys were cool

Nah it's just a dated franchise with tons of failed reboots that went nowhere. Sometimes things can simply be because

That and a toyline can't just be a toyline now, especially something like GI Joe that was the peak of "conjoined toy/cartoon marketing monster of the 80's"

The 80's were a long time ago.

Shipwreck had a good one in the Original series.

Why? It wasn't a problem back in the day. I mean parents buy their 10 year old GTA and CoD.
A lot of kids I've seen swear and they are just around 7-10.

I liked the 25th Anniversary Line. I really miss those updated figures.

I think it just drifted too far form its roots. G.I. Joe vs Cobra. All that Cobra-La stuff being too much and Serpentor being too much as well.

The worst moment in entire G.I.Joe history

What were they thinking!?

youtube.com/watch?v=2IeK656TXaE

>I liked the 25th Anniversary Line. I really miss those updated figures.

yes they were great
now they are really hard to find

Did you forget about Renegades? It got the cartoon, toyline, media support and STILL bombed.

Not ragging on Renegades' quality, I actually liked it and hate how it ended just as it was getting good (Cobra Commander declaring war).

Can i, as Russian, ask: what was wrong with "Rise of Cobra" movie?

Marlin Wayans?

Stephen Sommers?

Accelerator Suits?

Why can't we have an animated Adventure Team?

Giving Cobra Commander a backstory where it turns out he was Joseph Gordon Levitt, and then arresting him immediately after he establishes his identity.

Yea really sucks especially some of those from the latter series. Damn that Sniper as the shit. Wish I could have found one. Not happy they made a lot of those good ones online exculsive. I'll never complete my Dreadnoks :-(. Nor have a good Zartan mold.

The Joes never fought enemy nations, though, skirmishes with the Oktober Guard aside. Cobra's more relevant now than it ever was in the 80s

they went really insane with exclusive ones
only few regular figures and tons of exclusives isn't a good idea

9/11 was the birth of a new era

Shame as the second movie suit was excellent for Cobra commander.

It was pretty nice. I really liked Cobra Commander, Firefly, and Zartan in the movie.

I liked that situation as I think it has promise. Cobra winning and G.I. Joe being mobile with tiny safe houses.

FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM OVER LAND AND HAIR

I actually did forget about Renegades somehow, but still, Retaliation was successful enough yet they haven't even tried anything else since.

And as with the current comics, if we ever do get a 3rd movie, it'll be part of a "shared universe" with MASK, Rom and Micronauts.

>gay universe and autism time
Those shows didn't even exist during the Bush administration.

this shit continous

little kids grew up with iraq war and other shit and now as an adults they have isis and shit continues, people are sick and tired of it and escape into autism

Modern USA is anti materialistic.

It's not about reality, it's about what the FCC and networks' S&P departments think is appropriate for kids.