Why does speech in comic books seem written completely independent of the fact they are in a physical fight...

Why does speech in comic books seem written completely independent of the fact they are in a physical fight? People don't calmly talk while fighting.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0KBNsyCJg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

because... writing... ev-oof every... dialogue...

Like...

This

would get annoying really fucking quick

90% of comic book writers have 0 talent

people don't "chat" during fights

there should be 0 dialog during fight scenes

well *cough* sometimes...
hold on a second*spits blood*
>hero user throws punch
>other user catches it
either you let them continue the fight or you let them talk when their done
if you let them talk in between swings then its an anime

Rules are different in the world of fiction. Who cares about realism in comics?

>people don't "chat" during fights
They will if there's emotional baggage and the fight is extremely one sided. Talking is a luxury, but it can happen.

that's kind of extreme. I was just saying, it just seems like they wrote a script and then the fight scenes were drawn completely separately with no real shared tone.

When the dialogue actually matches up with the action, it's so natural you don't really notice. Hellboy, as always, shows us how it ought to be done. People meme on this page but the whole thing is perfectly paced.

This page.

Because you have to make your circus freak look badass somehow.

>People don't calmly talk while fighting.

It seems people are mistaking poor lettering for poor dialog. I can almost guarantee that if the words themselves were more expressive, the dialog could be almost unreadable and it would still fit the scene. Pic very related.

t. guy who has never been in a fight

The problem is that writers aren't pencilers in most of the US comics, ontem ofmthe reasons for the terrible fighting coreagraphies and action scenes when compared to manga.

Same reason why all ayys can speak english, you autistic fuck.

Because it's comic books and not real life you fucking mongoloid.

People don't become huge green mosters when they get angry either.

you think I'm whining about realism, when I'm saying it's a crappy stylistic choice.

People also don't internally narrate whatever they are doing with inhuman accuracy nor always have perfect spellchecked pronunciation.

Which doesn't happen every time. It's very popular, but there are plenty of books that handle dialog very differently.

>there should be 0 dialog during fight scenes
That would be boring.

only if you're shit at scripting fight scenes.

because dialogue in fiction is just as important as the action

people just arent trading blows, the fight itself is usually an extension of some other conflict, but made physical as well as emotional

there are times when you should let actions speak for you, or when you want to focus on some technical work you want to show, but ultimately you want to show that the people involved are matching both martial prowess and emotions

not to mention making one-liners against your foe is pretty cool, and may serve to infuriate your target to goad them into an offensive
it also makes it look like you are in control of a fight to on-lookers, since guy who looks like he is giving all his effort and not talking looks like he is at his limit while the smarmy talkative person looks like he isnt exerting himself and still has more to give, this can be a huge morale boost to your allies since it shows that you control the fight the enemy is reacting

Naw, it could at least be uses a bit more.

It depends. Sometimes you get people who are narrating as they fight. Other times you get quipers and people who narrate the fights (Like Spiderman and Claremont in general. Not a critcism just a note).

Other times, it is to show the dominance of a character. For example, in the image you posted it was to demonstrate just how powerful Blue Marvel was. He doesn't need to put that much effort into it. A trope which I am an utter sucker for. I love characters who are doing all this amazing shit, but they are almost 'bored'

However, my favourite is when the dialouge is just as important as the words. When the confrontation is both mental and physical. My favourite example of this might be Sup Forums related but I think it is a good example.

youtube.com/watch?v=Mn0KBNsyCJg

>because dialogue in fiction is just as important as the action
Not when it's a snarky quip.

I'm black. I've been in over 100 fights. That's what ghettos are like.

Weirdly enough this is one of Gail Simone's pet peeves

>not wanting a dozen snarky quips when you are fighting
it usually shows mastery of combat, since fighting is so instinctual that you can afford to spare some thought to other things
spider-man wouldnt be the same if he didnt make so many dry remarks in combat, it has become a trademark for him
it gives them a lot more personality if they talk in combat, its not overly realistic, but not any less than super powers

This. Then again the thought of Spiderman throwing unheard oneliners into the overwhelming chaos of the battlefield always amuses me. Like seriously nigga, d'you expect Doc Ock to hear you over the crash and crunch of the mailbox that he just ripped out of the ground to throw at you?

they should never talking during fight, its distracted me from the action

this

people like you are the reason why mcu is full of quips

Dispute is in BOLD letters. What's wrong with that?

but what if the action is not the main focus?
I mean if there's more shit happening while people are fighting you wanna keep people talking otherwise the fight itself would distract you from what's going on

But they do shit talk

>there should be 0 dialog during fight scenes
This is why nobody pays you to write comics

>they should never talking during fight, its distracted me from the action
Can you not breathe and walk at the same time? Are silent movies your thing because the sounds are distracting? Where are you on the autism spectrum?

If there is dialogue, I'd rather it was internal monologues or talking when there's a break in the fight. I hate long conversations while in the middle of a fight, unless it's relevant to the fight or the hero/villain doing it to distract their opponents like Spider-Man does.

Somehow I doubt both those claims