Just found out that braindead russian translators confused "Invincible" and "Invisible"...

Just found out that braindead russian translators confused "Invincible" and "Invisible", making picrelated's speech incoherent nonsense.
Bad dub thread?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EXkeOdk0OAs
youtube.com/watch?v=1T_TLBZxY4U
youtube.com/watch?v=PTMVfLZS-EQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Korra confirmed he was alive, he is just invisible after season 1. The dubbers were right.

In Latin america all the CN and Disney show can say the word death. Make it kind of silly when you hear them say destroy of finnish even when is not the right context for the word.

Are you certain?
"Nevidim" and "neuesvim" are similar words.

What a coincidence, I happened to check out Avatar dubbed into my own obscure language just the other day.

>scene related
>Suki: "Are you trying to get on my bad side?"
>Dubbed!Suki: "Are you implying I'm bad?"

Stellar work. Not complete nonsense in the context of the scene itself, but still way off.

The Finnish dub for Watership Down is awful. Bad voice-acting and bad translations. One of the weirdest parts is the song "Bright Eyes". As one of the rabbits is looking for his brother who is presumed dead at that point, this song plays and its somber lyrics discuss death. But in the Finnish version, a female voice sings about how she's pining for a guy who doesn't seem to feel that way about her.
youtube.com/watch?v=EXkeOdk0OAs

Stupidest part is the entire DVD release though. It has two copies of the movie's footage, instead of just one like normally. One of the movie tracks is nice enough, but the other is in wrong aspect ratio, lousy quality, and it looks like it's probably been ripped directly from the old VHS release. The shitty copy of the movie has only the Finnish audio track, while the good-quality video has English audio and optional subtitles.

I remember there being a lot of issues with the dubbing, but I haven't really wanted to watch it in Finnish again so I can't remember more details. Judging by brief clips on Youtube, Hyzenthlay's name was changed to Silverweed (who is a completely different character in the book), but that's forgivable enough since her name wasn't easy to pronounce.

Man, "bending" and all its derivates are a bitch to translate naturally given the context. I think its one of those things where it only works in english.

Hell, it doesn't even work in British-English, hence we get Legend of Aang over here

How are the words "bender" and "bending" translated in non-English dubs anyway?

In latin america instead of "waterbending" it's "water control" and "benders" are "Masters" so Zuko would be a fire master

spanish translation should have gone with "invoking" instead of "control".

>Aire control vs invocación del aire
>Maestro aire vs invocador del aire

In the latam dub, towards the end for some reason, they started using nonsensical synonyms for the word "banished" to the point Zuko said he was fired from the Fire Nation by his father. I could only picture Ozai having a steakhouse somewhere but Zuko kept on screwing up in the grill.

In russian it's straight up magic
"The Last Air Mage"
Magic of Water

Atleast they don't have "spells"

Yes, I watched it in Russian dub (Im from postsoviet state) and I also remembered that phrase and I thought what a retarded statement. It literally ruined the scene.

In Italian bender and bending are respectively translated as "dominatore" and "dominio" (dominator and dominion). So for example airbender/bending is "dominatore dell'aria" and "dominio dell'aria" (dominator/dominion of air).

Pretty uninspired, sadly.

Speaking of Russian translators.
>dub of Broodwich episode of ATHF
>translate "swine" as swan" in the "no swine evil enough" line, making the line nonsensical even by ATHF standards.
Then again, ATHF dub in general was pretty bad.

>fired
>by his father

Same in polish.

I was also disapointed with Azula's VA. I could switch languages on the tv and compare.
Zuko's was great though.

In russian dub, they just called it magic. Which makes Katara-Sokka dialogue in the first episode weird.

In German they are essentially Air- , Fire-, Water- and Earthtamers.

The thing being that the "-bändiger" suffix for "-tamer" is similar to bender.

It's a bit inconsistent in french sometimes it's "maitre de l'air" sometimes "fils de l'air"

Russian Dubs are pretty shitty most of the time
I think that companies that dub them just have this mentality that all cartoons are for kids and don't deserve good dubbing. A lot of times voices barely fit characters, sometimes shitty translation, especially for puns. Seriously, the can't translate puns. They even suck at adapting them.

Also one thing I really hate is that a lot of times a voice actor for one or more characters changes
For example in Angelo Rules: there was a character named Sherwood. Originally he had a deep voice. It was still boyish, but pretty deep. Then suddenly his VA changed and he became REALLY FUCKING HIGH-PITCHED

And epsiode names. This is probably the easiest part of translating an episode. They can't even do this right.
You know how Gumball has single word titles like "The Remote" or "The Helmet". In Russian dub those become 2 or more words per title.
Or in Steven Universe "Catch and release" became "Peridots Fish"

The most notorious dubs in the history of my country are sadly Sup Forums-related rather than Sup Forums-related. May I still post them?

I'd like to hear it, user.

It is translated as "ruler" in Bulgarian.
It is one of the dubs that don't suck hard.

I have no idea if it's a mistake or a translation joke but the French dub for Animaniacs translated "hello nurse" to "salut nounou", using the term "nurse" to mean a child's caretaker (nourrice->nounou) rather than a sick person's caretaker (infirmière).

in portuguese it's basically the same, "Dobrador" = "bender"

In Dutch it's stuurder and sturen what can be translated to ''to guide'' and ''director'' which makes sense in the content.

youtube.com/watch?v=1T_TLBZxY4U
youtube.com/watch?v=PTMVfLZS-EQ
For some notes - in the scene where they're IN A HOT SPRING, Tentomon asks "Shall we go to a hot spring?".
Also, while Leomon's signature attack is supposed to be "Kuninkaan nyrkki" (literally 'King's Fist') and Orgamon's "Keisarin nyrkki" (literally 'Emperor's Fist') they can't seem to keep it straight. And for some reason, Leomon at some point pronounces it as 'nyrkky'.
Jou tells "Gabmon" to transform even though Gabumon is Yamato's partner, not his, and his own partner Gomamon is already in his Ikkakumon form.
In the episode "Ystäväni Sota-Garuru-Mon" (literally "My friend WereGarurumon", although for some reason the "were" was translated as "sota" which actually means "war") the Digimon analyzer kept fucking up. First Vegimon was identified as the fucking name of the episode, Digitamamon as the title monster, and although it doesn't show on the video I linked to, when the title monster actually showed up, the analyzer was left in its Japanese form. (This was however only in the footage; the audio was mostly correct, although Vegimon was heard saying something like "painu ulos homo" - literally "get out, you homo".)
Yamato's words of wisdom: "En koskaan unohda! En saa koskaan unohtaa ystäviäni! Luottamus ystäviin... on ystävyyttä!" ("I'll never forget! I must never forget my friends! Trust in friends... is friendship!")
Jou: "Vittu, eikö Andromonilla ole heikkoa kohtaa?" ("Fuck, does Andromon not have a weak spot?") YES, YOU READ THAT RIGHT. THERE WAS BLATANT SWEARING IN A KIDS' SHOW.
Narrator after the SkullGreymon episode: "Niin. Nyt pystyttiin muuttumaan pidemmälle. Mutta muutos oli vääränlainen. Onnistuukohan heidän tehdä oikeat muuttumiset?" ("Yeah. Now they could transform further. But the transformation was incorrect. Can they manage to do the correct transformations?") (I'm not sure if it sounds as stupid in English as it does in Finnish.)

cont. from Centaurumon also translates Digivice as 'Digipahuus', failing to understand the portmanteau of 'digital device', understanding it as 'vice' instead. Which makes the fact that he also refers to it as a 'sacred device' hilarious.
Yamato, fighting with Taichi as usual: "Minä haluan löytää Takerun ensin! Löydän muut ensin!" ("I want to find Takeru first! I'll find the others first!" So which one/s do you plan to find first, Takeru or the others?)
Little Taichi: "Minä ratsastan!" (Literally "I'm riding" but the word for riding refers to horses specifically, not bikes.)
And from Ginga: "Nuo kolme koiraa eivät pelkää mitään! Siksi ne ovat niin pelkäämättömiä." ("Those three dogs fear nothing! That's why they're so fearless.")
Also generally in Ginga, they can't keep the characters' voices straight.