Comfy [as] thread

Let's discuss the good old days of [as], Sup Forums. The shows, the bumps, the music, anything comfy and adult swim related.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y-ig0C9b1pA
youtube.com/watch?v=vyPkuPhBK5E
youtube.com/watch?v=PDToHQeouq8
youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ2dq_V_oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=c-5Z1OH_yds
youtube.com/watch?v=kBTIk69P4WQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7kbzn5C9I
youtube.com/watch?v=uozqoMQcaoo
youtube.com/watch?v=w5-qowWw9qY
youtube.com/watch?v=496uio7OaX0
youtube.com/watch?v=trfHP5LHVNY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>best animated originals
Venture Bros
Moral Orel
Frisky Dingo
ATHF
12 oz mouse
Perfect Hair Forever
Space Ghost
>best live action
Delocated
Neon Joe
Eric Andre
>best syndicated
Futurama
King of the Hill
Bob's Burgers

I remember when I was 4 or 5, I would sometimes stay up past bed time to watch what I called "the cartoon with the dancing meatball"

Venture Bros is (presumably) coming back in 2019.

12 oz mouse isn't good.

>not having your pretty face listed as a best live action

and all three of those are still being syndicated.

Anybody have any download links to any old [as] related shit

I still remember back when the bumps were just old people in a swimming pool there was a bump where the lifeguard kept telling this old guy to stop eating in the pool, and it ended with the lifeguard talking to someone else asking "What-what is he eating?".

Don't know why I remember that out of all things, but I just do.

The thing about Adult Swim that makes me sad is that they used to strive to be comfy, to not really give a shit and just show whatever because they were the late night block and figured they could get away with anything. When they started getting super popular, it started to seem like they hated their newfound popularity and their fans and tried taking steps to piss people off. Nowadays it seems like they're trying to fool people into thinking that they're still a bunch of dudes working in a basement somewhere, rather than being just another entertainment network who is only in it for the money.

youtu.be/Y-ig0C9b1pA
For you user

What's the Sup Forumsnsensus on Assy McGee? I've seen it got a lot of hate elsewhere for being too crude and simplistic, but I fucking loved it. Worth watching for the nearly indecipherable Assy's drunken monologues

Who remembers two years ago when we had these threads about the ATHF finale? Shit was maximum comfy

Based April Fool's Days were the ones with Perfect Hair Forever, especially the 2014 one with the Space Ghost marathon

I remember getting up early to go to middle school and Gigantor being on.

Just googled it, might've been back in 2003 or 2005 I can't remember because apparently it aired on Toonami and Adult Swim separately.

I remember buying the first season of Venture Bros on DVD the week it came out, I was like 13 and my friend recommended it to me and I watched one episode every night until I finished the season. Shit was comfy

bump

Why is Moral Orel weirdly comfy? I've watched it and rewatched it so many times that it has a weird comfy charm to it

>no mention of mike tyson mysteries
>ignoring the meme reddit show even though it's the most wildly successful thing [as] has done in years

I like to call it lost wages!

>Ghost in the Shell fart noises over the Dialogue

No wonder why Major killed herself in the Finale

>2019
Jesus Christ

bump

Have any of you watched their streaming shows (i.e. FishCenter, Bloodfeast, etc.)? What do you think of them?

there used to be sharethreads of old vhs rips but they stopped happening

>Venture Bros is (presumably) coming back in 2019.
>2019

didn't kian from the as subreddit make that specially for the finale?

Honestly, I think they're alright, but I really don't get the excitement over them. Not a patch on the original programming.

>Perfect Hair Forever made to look like VHS fansub rips

Holy fuck, I wish I was there for this.

I want nothing more than an official DVD release of all the Perfect Hair Forever episodes with the six VHS April fools subs on there as extras

Their April fools since 2014 have been pretty shit honestly.

>2015
Fun, but nothing amazing like 2014
>2016
Really fucking sad when it happened, however in hindsight one of their funniest jokes
>2017
First night was funny but a little disappointing; second night was fucking god tier

youtube.com/watch?v=vyPkuPhBK5E

Everyone talks about the spooky end of series bumper but NO ONE talks about the 10/10 [go to bed] bumper.
Seriously, picture it. You had the closing shift, and after work you had to work on a bullshit school project all night. You put on some Adult Swim in the background, not really paying attention but every now and then you take a break. You finish the project and wouldn't you know it, the program ended. You're wound up but then they air this at the end of their programming block. You email the project, close the computer and lay back. It's Saturday. Sleep in.

You've earned it.

Thanks Adult Swim.

Fuck, no joke, I HONESTLY remember the first adult swim. It was "hmm, wonder what's this, why is it so late?" I thought it was...something I didn't know. So I stayed up. Then Adult Swim happened. I watched the bumps, saw some cartoons I didn't know, the one with the really, really squiggly lines about Home Movies. That was it.
That was Day 1.

Part of my distaste for 2017 was the fact that I haven't really enjoyed Rick and Morty at all since Season 1.

What do you all want them to do next year? I'm hoping for more nostalgia shit for us older fans, but it will probably be something either really low effort or involving their streaming shows or both.

I absolutely love the music they use.

I always remember adult swim because I would stay up and watch CN until it was 8, and once adult swim started, it felt like I got away with something

youtube.com/watch?v=PDToHQeouq8

Same. These promos just suddenly came on and I was hooked.

Home Movies is the perfect show to watch when going to sleep.

So I guess we're adult swim nostalgia posting now! Yeah, some dude back in 2014 said he had a VHS recording of the first adult swim broadcast but didn't know how to digitally convert it and nobody knows how to contact him.

Anyway...

I first heard about Adult Swim around 2002 when it was growing in popularity from a friend I rode the bus with whose older sister introduced him to Harvey Birdman (his favorite, used to sing the theme song) and Aqua Teen (which I remember him describing to me as "fast food detectives who started solve crimes but end up dealing with supernatural monsters").

I also had older cousins whom I would see every summer and remember them watching Toonami in the afternoons and by 2003, they had been converted to AS (thanks to the popularity of FG and Futurama). They were into Sealab and Aqua Teen too, though hated Home Movies.

By the B&W era and I was a casually regular viewer, either watching it on weekends after the newly moved to Satudays Toonami or other programs or on on demand. One of my friend's dads (a cartoonist) would watch Tom Goes to the Mayor and Aqua Teen on VoD with us whenever I went to his house. He even had DVDs of Samurai Jack and Cowboy Bebop that he introduced us too.

By 2005, I remember having a friend at school I used to talk about FMA and Inuyasha with a lot.

I have a fond memory of one night watching AS with my dad when the season premiere of Birdman was on.

I remember The Boondocks (read the comics) and Stroker and Hoop too + Squidbillies and Metalocolypse Ep 1. You used to see the DVDs coming out for AS shows in Walmart and stuff and I would also buy them or rent them at Blockbuster if I didn't have a lot of money.

I stopped watching quite as regularly around 2008-ish, but I remember liking Tim and Eric when it first came out and not finding Saul of the Molemen funny. I did like the Pee Wee's Playhouse and Saved by the Bell gags.

Oh and the Aqua Teen movie in 2007. Holy shit, there were billboards for that everywhere and it premiered at the historic theater a couple miles down the road (Ponce De Leon Avenue) that my street ran right off of. The bomb scare was all over the local papers and the news. I remember my mom asking me what the deal with the show was because she didn't understand why talking food doing stuff was funny. But yeah, that was a huge deal and the power change at CN was all over the business section of the papers too and I knew that CN would never be the same again (as evidenced by the degradation of Toonami, cancelation of Fridays, and proliferation of bad live action shows). I didn't actually watch the April Fools premiere prank because I forgot, but heard about it the next day.

Still, I think ASA had some new stuff I was really into at that time. Code Geass and Death Note. I remember Futurama leaving AS and them having a whole marathon for it.

In 2009, the brit block thing with Darkplace reruns and The Office and Look Around You and liking that better than most of the other live action other new originals at the time. Delocated was okay though. When King of the Hill came in 2010, I thought that was cool, but then stopped watching as much. Especially when they replaced the 5:30 Home Movies with a rerun with it (that was my pre-trek across town for classes morning routine).

After that classes and work took up too much time so I pretty much stopped watching entirely save for the April Fools stunts which had become legend and the ocassional new show I stumbled across online. The Room was a fun in-joke among my friends and I.

It wasn't until Toonami came back that I started watching Saturdays again, or the 2014 Space Ghost/PHF April Fools that got me interested in watching the other shows again. Unfortunately, outside of Mike Tyson and Eric Andre Season 1, the new shows aren't that great to me. They're okay in the background noise.

Of course I also noticed that when I started watching again, AS on weeknights had taken over the 8 and 9 PM hours and was filled with over 75% FOX shows, mostly McFarlane (not even exaggerating) and the only originals airing was the same Robot Chicken x2/Metalocalypse/Aqua Teen/Squidbillies rerun combo that was the same lineup as when I stopped watching AS in early 2011. They didn't seem to air any originals before 2010 except these on any nights of the week, except for a few times when they did a little Home Movies for a month or two on Saturdays and Birdman and Moral Orel on Sundays late at night for about a month too. So by 2015 I was back to just watching the April Fools pranks again... I occasionally flip it on every now and again (my roommate pays for SlingTV so we do get it still) but it's always just FOX shows or Robot Chicken. I do also sometimes watch the animation stream on the website and check out the odd new show or two, but most of this new stuff is pretty actively targeting the so-called "Generation Z" of millenials (ie. the people born in the late 90s and early 00s) so I can't relate to it as much now (I'm pushing 30) whereas even my dad and my friend's found early AS pretty funny.

The end.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoQ2dq_V_oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=c-5Z1OH_yds
youtube.com/watch?v=kBTIk69P4WQ

>watch CN until it was 8, and once adult swim started, it felt like I got away with somethin
WTF how old are you? They didn't start airing at 8 PM until like 2014.
Hell, I first started watching it back when CN was 24/7 most days of the week.

Adult Swim is infinitely better than the shit I had to deal with growing up.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7kbzn5C9I
Late night adult swim with yu yu hakusho's ending credits in a pitch black room sans the TV was aesthetic as fuck. Simple times back then.

Was that renamed to Detour or was that something else? My Clone High DVD always opens with an advertisement for that programming block.

didn't you guys get any adult swim shows on that block? Or am I thinking of YTV?

Yeah, The Detour until like 2009. Apparently they aired stuff like Futurama, Family Guy, The Critic, Clone High, Undergrads, 12 Oz Mouse, Tom Goes to the Mayor, The Boondocks, Code Monkeys, The Brak Show, Drawn Together, Evil Con Carne + Grim and Evil, Frisky Dingo, Happy Tree Friends, Harvey Birdman, The Head, Home Movies, King of the Hill, The Maxx, Moral Orel, Metalocalypse, Mission Hill, The Oblongs, Ren and Stimpy, Sealab 2021, South Park, Space Ghost, Stroker and Hoop, Squidbillies, Milk Chan, The Tick, Venture Bros, Xavier Renegade Angel, some other AS stuff, and random canuck cartoons.

YTV had no adult block. All Teletoon at Night aired was just Futurama, Family guy, American Dad reruns and some awful original programming. Now apparently according to Wikipedia some Adult Swim shows did air but that is absolutely fucking bullshit. I watched that channel for years and I never saw some Adult Swim programming.

youtube.com/watch?v=uozqoMQcaoo
youtube.com/watch?v=w5-qowWw9qY

really makes you think

youtube.com/watch?v=496uio7OaX0

YTV did air Home Movies and some random Toonami and AS-acquired anime series

Fuck guess my memory was a little fuzzy, they did spam Robot Chicken a lot though dunno why I forgot about it. But I swear the other AS shows must've aired infrequently or some shit. I don't think Bionix can be considered on the same level of maturity as AS.

I'm gonna go ahead and call you a fag

Why?

how did they know

Question for those (at least Americans) born in 1997: do you associate your childhood more closely with stuff of 2000-2006 like PS2, Avatar TLA, Gorillaz, Discman, Malcolm in the middle, Cyberchase, Tamagotchi, Recess, Osmosis Jones, sneaking up to watch 2001-2006 Adult Swim, and Kim Possible?

Or 2006-2009 stuff like iPhones, social media, Big Bang Theory, Hannah Montana, PS3, The Dark knight, Justin Bieber, Wall-E, Out of Jimmy's head, Twilight, Chowder, Marvelous misadventures of Flapjack, Adventure Time, and Silly bandz?

I still think of AS this way.

I never saw Moral Orel. I could have, when it came out, but I was busy.

I know, I am a sinner.

But here in the second half of 2017, almost two decades into the millenium, is it worth watching for the first time?

Born in '96 but For me "childhood" was most everything in the first category up but I was only 11 when the first iphone came out. I considered 12 and up to be adolesence though as that's when I hit puberty.

Thanks, user.

American or other?

Mike Tyson Mysteries is highly underrated, but I understand why nobody cares. It's a mixed bag series. There are great episodes, and there are forgettable episodes.

But when it's great, goddamn is it great. The "Love Letters" episode form this past season was incredible.

American

I still remember being 12 and watching Adult Swim the first day it aired. Up until I went to college in 2007, I watched Adult Swim every single night.

I still remember when Adult Swim first started airing on Saturday nights. My parents would go out Saturday nights, so I'd watch some anime on Adult Swim, switch over to Skinemax, and then back to anime. Simpler times.

Only AS shows I really like that's on nowadays are Mike Tyson Mysteries and Off the Air. Venture Bros. as well, but who the hell the hell knows when that's coming back.

Definitely this.

bump

Apollo Gauntlet is hilarious, I love how happy and carefree it is compared to most AS shows. Also, rotoscoping, pic related.

youtube.com/watch?v=trfHP5LHVNY

>ps2
>gorillas
>staying up late to watch adult swim then my mom breaking in my room and yelling "YOU HAVE FUCKING SCHOOL IN THE MORNING!"
>....then I just wait ten minutes and start watching again
>osmosis Jones
Shit was tight

Cowboy Bebop, Venture Bros, Space Ghost, Frisky Dingo, or GTFO

haven't seen a single episode of morel orel yet. i keep hearing it's good