GI Joe

Why was he given a lovecraftian snake origin? What was wrong with his backstory in the comics?

Other urls found in this thread:

alonefancryinginthewilderness.blogspot.com/2012/07/from-archives-my-animated-conversation.html
youtu.be/nT_KSx3hRCc?t=2m22s
youtu.be/47iAjCnyPPU?t=1m22s
youtu.be/TvIOS_QW3gA
youtube.com/watch?v=yru-bIqX0WQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the comic origins is boring.

The toyline interfered with the storyline. Hasbro created Serpentor and wanted him in the show, and then later Cobra Commander became a snake man.

>Doug Walker makes a video Sup Forums related
>Sup Forums claims to hate him but promptly makes a thread anyway

T non comic-reader
he was a Vietnam veteran who failed at selling used cars and began a homegrown terrorist organization

Basically this.

The comic writers refused to incorporate Cobra-La into the comics, it was the last straw.

I like to think that snakeman Cobra Commander is an imposter and the real one was like the one from the comics.

The cartoons did whatever the hell they wanted and they were based on the comic but didn't necessarily followed it.

Like Duke for example, Hama didn't make Duke and he disliked the character.

>he was a Vietnam veteran who failed at selling used cars and began a homegrown terrorist organization
Seriously?

Here’s what happened (and it goes back to what I was saying about the inherent absurdity in certain ideas): At the start of the second season I proposed a story that would have been called “The Most Dangerous Man In The World”. The premise was that Cobra had been holding a mysterious prison in isolation in a secret cell; when he escapes Cobra immediately suspends all operations around the world and begins an intensive search for him. The Joes also begin searching, not knowing who the prisoner is but figuring he must be potentially harmful to Cobra. They get him first and discover he is the Karl Marx / Friedrich Nietzsche of Cobra, the man who created their basic philosophy but who, when he saw how Cobra Commander was misapplying it, criticized Cobra’s leadership and earned their enmity since he’s the only one capable of invalidating their whole raison d’etre. The Joes soon learn he is a prickly and obnoxious sort and in the end when he escapes from them they let him go, figuring he’s more of a threat to Cobra than he is to the rest of the world.

To my delight, Sunbow and Hasbro accepted the idea but before I could begin work on it they told me there was a new character being added to the line-up: Cobra Emperor a.k.a. Serpentor.
I said, “Excuse me?” and asked how he fit into the Cobra chain of command. He’s the supreme leader, they said. I said, “Excuse me?” again and pointed out that we had done nothing to date to indicate there was anyone above Cobra Commander in the line-up and that we couldn’t very well drop him in without explanation. They mulled it over and told me to come up with a suitable origin.

So I developed two ideas. The first, the one I favored, would have Cobra create Serpentor from the DNA of history’s greatest military leaders as a replacement for Cobra Commander’s ineptitude. The other was that there was a heretofore unknown larger, even more secret organization that used Cobra as a pawn. I turned both ideas in. A few days later they called and said great, do it. “Which one?” I asked. Both, sez they.

Well, that pretty much torpedoed “The Most Dangerous Man In The World” because if Cobra was founded and secretly run by a mysterious organization, they wouldn’t go about drawing attention to themselves by proclaiming their philosophy.

So the creation of Serpentor became the plot for the 2nd season opening mini-series, and the story of the super secret organization behind Cobra would become the movie. Now the question became one of where the super secret mysterious organization was located. Since Sunbow and Hasbro didn’t want this organization to be identified with any known country, I suggested it be located in some remote part of the world like Antarctica, the Sahara, or the Himalayas. They liked the Himalayas and then I made my fatal mistake: So that we would know what we were referring to when we wanted to talk about the secret organization, I gave them a placeholder name of “Cobra-La” thinking surely no one would accept that as the final name.

Guess what: They did. (My advice to other writers is never ever come up with a placeholder name you’re not prepared to live with.)

So there you have it: Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

>alonefancryinginthewilderness.blogspot.com/2012/07/from-archives-my-animated-conversation.html

Yes

Actually, IIRC it was his brother who was the Vietnam vet; but the used car salesman bit is accurate.

He went kinda crazy when his brother died in a car crash (the other car containing a young Snake Eyes, incidentally).

People talk about GI Joe on this board pretty often, user.

Cobra La was annoying because after hyping up Serpentor for so long HE gets made a minion himself for Golobulous. Also, it threw a wrench in what was clearly a coup plot by Cobra Commander

Sounds very gay
This Cobra Commander seems like a fun guy

Cobra Commander is always a fun guy.

Remember that time Cobra Commander was an old man complaining about how terrorism was so much better in his days?
But I heard that he kicks puppies

I wanna fuck pythona

Old Snake was a cool guy.

Did you know that most cobra commander's va's also voiced starscream. Also cover girl was impregnated by a transformer

It is a strange world in which they live.

What is this

Transformers vs. G.I. Joe

The other car contained Snake Eyes' parents and sister. Everyone died and Cobra Commander blamed Snakes Eyes.

>CC with a snake head

I'll stick with Jinx, less risk of being dissolved by acid claws

Well, he WAS once a man...

Oh yeah? Well how do you explain the heels then, the heels that are almost as tall as the ones that baroness has on her

Well he has to coordinate, doesn't he?

This movie is such bullshit, even for it's time.

Cobra-La wants to exterminate humanity through a mutagen but the Cobra Army consists entirely of human beings (including Serpentor), yet they still obey them despite having nothing to gain from that plan and everything to lose. The only member of Cobra who could have benefited from it, Cobra Commander, is mutated anyway as a punishment.

No wonder it was basically ignored for all future projects, it's so fucking retarded and at odds with what came before...

It's just two different continuities, user. It's like how the Transformers comic and cartoon versions of Shockwave were completely different characters.

but that intro tho

Actually there was a new series that counties after the movies. Where CC is still a snake and Serpentor was in charge of Cobra

Until the old crew turned CC back (while still having some mutations) and then CC turned Serpentor into a snake.
Well when you put it like that

The comic version of Cobra Commander didn't have his origin revealed until years into the series, mostly during the time he was believed dead. The cartoon origin may actually have been revealed first.

>He's in a Coma

>He has woken up from his Coma
But honestly who gave a shit about Duke? Flint was better

Duke dying to save his shithead baby brother would've worked 80s babies into a shoot even harder than Prime's death did

Remember when they called up Flint for orders, and he was just standing around on the roof with Lady Jaye and Scarlett in swimsuits?

>Actually there was a new series that counties after the movies. Where CC is still a snake and Serpentor was in charge of Cobra
>Until the old crew turned CC back (while still having some mutations) and then CC turned Serpentor into a snake.
So basically, they just shit on Serpentor and admits CC was right about his suckiness?

More like Hasbro had more CC toys to sell.

If CC had a shitload of eyes and needed that metal plate see, why could he just wear a simple hood?

I think the extra eyes came from his second exposure to the mutation spores.

if I remember right they were showed popping out the first time he was exposed in the flashback about him

He was scouting for drones

I'll take your word for it. I don't feel like watching the movie to double check.

luckily we have youtube
youtu.be/nT_KSx3hRCc?t=2m22s

If only CC raised the argument that humanity was much stronger then expected

The original cartoon, made by Sunbow, ended with the movie in 1987. A 3rd season was planned, but they lost the license to DiC.

The DiC cartoon didn't start until 1989, and focused on characters who were part of the toy line at the time (plus Scarlett, Lady Jaye, the Baroness and Zarana, due to a lack of new female toys).

The DiC cartoon followed on from the Sunbow series, and tried to maintain continuity with it, so Serpentor appeared in the opening episodes, despite his toy no longer being in production, so Cobra Commander could return and mount a coup.

Serpentor was 'temporarily' turned into an iguana, leaving it open for him to return Hasbro made a new figure.

> So basically, they just shit on Serpentor and admits CC was right about his suckiness?

It's more like Cobra Commander takes over, and then Cobra become a group of idiots who are no threat to children.

He was a robot?

Is Sigma 6 any good?

He was a man.

>Why was he given a lovecraftian snake origin? What was wrong with his backstory in the comics?
Transformers vs GI Joe handled Cobra Commander's origin best in my opinion, he starts out with his Marvel origin, but as Cobra grows ends up discovering the remnants of Cobra La and integrating it's technology and belief systems(and some surviving members of the civilization) into that of Cobra the organization

as well as eventually turning himself into

How does baroness interrogate her captives

Sounds like General Bethlehem of the Holnists in Postman.

Why is this art so repulsive?

Serpentor has the greatest interrogation technique of all time.

youtu.be/47iAjCnyPPU?t=1m22s

Because your taste is shit.

It also went down the eco friendly craze a lot of cartoons did in it's last season to promote the 'Eco Force' toys.

Also I didn't get why Gnawgahyde and Metalhead was in every fucking episode at one point, Metalhead even in the arcade game as a boss.

Bump

Metalhead was great though.

Especially since Garry Chalk of all people voiced him,

It got really weird at the end.

Ninja Force, Eco Force, Tiger Force, Star Brigade...

Were the Lunartix aliens the weirdest it got?

Only because they cancelled the Manimals.

Lobotomax

Hm, Lobotomaxx...

You guys ever see Laserblast?

Why the heck didn't Cobra take Snake Eyes' sword?

>That time in 1990 when the toy ads were pushing Sgt Slaughter and Overlord as the leaders of GI Joe and Cobra

youtu.be/TvIOS_QW3gA

can't even post the most insane sequel-hook because of the content.

>The comic writers

There was only one user...and he was enough.

>Why the heck didn't Cobra take Snake Eyes' sword?

Why the fuck didn't they take his grenades?!?

Bump

Do you guys prefer the helmet or hood?

The first season of the cartoon teased a lot of things too.

Like the time Destro walked in on Cobra Commander eating and it grossed him out seeing him without a mask.

And the fake interview where CC was talking about all the various nation uprisings he was a part of.

what was Destro backstory anyway, why was he made of metal

>Destro
>White
dropped

And a year later Sgt Slaughter allied with Irak

youtube.com/watch?v=yru-bIqX0WQ

Yeah, this seems as much a setup for a wacky Destro/CC shenanigans story as much as anything else.

Like the whole thing should end up about being them trying to get Dr. Mindbender laid.

Scottish ancestor was a dick. So he was forced to wear a mask

James McCullen Destro XXIV is a Scot.

>his master plan involves being aboveboard and non-forged legal documents
damn

Cobra Commander had the best plan ever about how to ruin Christmas

there's a fucking reason they got Eccleston to play him

Bump

The shrink ray plan?

That episode was fucked up. Poor shipwreck

a fucking nightmare