Even with the smaller issues in it I still don't think this film could have gotten any better

Even with the smaller issues in it I still don't think this film could have gotten any better.

It's legit near perfect.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants_(season_3)#Episodes
youtube.com/watch?v=PtCE9qgFVWc
spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_SpongeBob_SquarePants
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Considering it was supposed to be the end of the series in 2004. Yeah I guess it was.

Wish it could've been like big picture show and actually been the finalie.

Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy should've saved the day

I found it pretty lackluster compared to the average season 1-3 episode.

I kinda wish they used the show's Neptune instead of doing this weird thing where there's a King Neptune and a God Neptune they both have the same name and never mention one another.

I know it might sound a bit like a grown ass man complaining about children's cartoon lore but even as an 8 year old seeing this totally new character with Neptune's name confused me.

The could have at least call this guy Poseidon or something.

Apparently, it IS the canonical ending to the series still.

In the episode Krusty Towers, Squidward mentions "King Neptune the Fourteenth". That doesn't make things much easier to figure out, I was just letting you know.

Yeah everything from seasons 4-10, including the second movie, canonically takes place before the first movie.

Guess that might also answer why Spongebob and Patrick aren't phased going on land.

I kind of have a theory (totally unfounded, just my own thoughts) that this movie really hurt Spongebob's characterization in the later seasons.

The movie did up a whole big thing about Spongebob being a kid. When I saw the movie for the first time it really didn't feel right because I never saw Spongebob as a kid.

Seasons 1-3 he feels pretty much like a hybrid between a kid and an adult. Sure, he could be pretty childish a lot of the time but you really never lost sight of the fact that he's also a homeowner with a full time job who has a lot of adult responsibilities.

But the movie was pushing super hard the idea that Spongebob was a kid.

Then in later seasons he really got infantilized. It felt like he was a lot more naive, less knowledgeable about how the world worked, how to interact with other people and he spent a lot more time screaming and crying. I know he did this in the first three seasons but post-movie they really cranked it up. People gave Steven Universe for having too much crying but post-movie Spongebob had way more of it, and it was loud, screeching baby crying at that.

I think that this happened because the post-movie workers saw the movie's idea of Spongebob being a kid and ran it into the ground.

>It's legit near perfect.
NOSTALGIA GOGGLES ALERT

The movie was horrendous. You only think otherwise because you're either A) retarded B) in yours 20s and have nostalgia for it cause you saw it when you were young and that was the last time you experienced SpongeBob in a childlike manner

Debate me.

OP here.

I'm not going to say you're entirely wrong, my nostalgia for the movie definitely has a weighing factor here so your B option has some merit.

When I say it's legit perfect though, I moreso mean for what it is and how it ended the series (or how it SHOULD have ended the series) and for me personally I actually really did like the message it was conveying and the play on the hero's journey they made with the characters but makes a good point on the characterization of Spongebob himself. Also the animation is fantastic and I still laugh at a majority of the jokes.

Maybe legit near perfect wasn't the best terms to describe it in, hell I even said it had flaws, but it was definitely a great closer in my opinion and yeah it does have a big ass place in my heart.

>last time you experienced SpongeBob in a childlike manner
For me it was around the beginning of Season 5. The Simpsons Movie was hot, and since it was a bit more mature and "intense", I gravitated towards being a Simpsons fan and more or less left SpongeBob in the dust. I would've been 9 during this transition, and judging by how much worse SpongeBob seemed to have gotten, I'm pretty glad I left when I did.

At least Stephen Hillenburg and some of the original crew came back for the second film and season 10, which was actually pretty good especially in comparison.

season 3 was shit and you know it
Honestly isn't it just funnier to think that it IS the same Neptune, except he started to bald, then he got depressed and fat so he wears the royal robe to cover that?

>season 3 was shit and you know it

Look at this list and repeat that.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpongeBob_SquarePants_(season_3)#Episodes

Most of the jokes that aren't infantile (and 99% of them are) are rehashes of jokes from the first 3 seasons. Like literally, I think there are at least three points in the movie where they reuse a joke from the show, and it's not even a clever reference, or a running gag thing, it's just a redo.

The animation is nothing special at all. In fact it's less pleasing to the eye than the first 3 seasons. Unless you like "sterile" and "overproduced".

The message was nice and all. The drying-out moment was touching. And the Hasselhoff scene was admittedly great. Those are the only redeeming qualities of the movie though. What, 5 minutes in total?

It's all nostalgia. There's nothing wrong with that, I'm "victim" to that myself all the time, but the accolades that are showered on this movie by people are ridiculous. Subjectively it may be great but objectively it's bad.

>season 3 was shit and you know it
Your opinion is wrong.

user, don't listen to that fag. Everyone knows Season 3 was pure kino (except maybe The Sponge Who Could Fly).

Yeah, The Sponge Who Could Fly had too many cheap walk cycles.

I saw it two months ago expecting garbage and it was legitimately funny

The first teaser trailer they released with clips from 'The Hunt For Red October' but it was actually just Spongebob messing with a submarine in a bath tub is still one of my favorite Sup Forums moments no joke.

I agree.

Also, the movie needed more Sandy.

Princess Mindy wasn't needed at all.

But she's hot, Patrick said so.

Therefore, needed.

The ""sequel"" was just on. My younger sibling was watching it. I kept walking past the room.
Why doesn't it look or feel anything like Spongebob? It's so quiet and the humour is surreal. The animation is too smooth and not just in the "big screen adaptation buget" way. Not to mention the pacing. Every time I walked through there was a new (unfamiliar) setting and set piece. It seems like high quality fan animations.

because i was a typical road trip movie. there were a bunch of those in the early 2000's. the only reason people remember this and not say, College road trip or Are we there yet?, is because this was animated.

>Wet painters
>no weenies allowed
>Nasty Patty
>krab borg
>THE MUTHAFUKIN TRAINING VIDEO
wow could this guy be any more wrong?

>Spongebob season 3
>shit

What possible tragedies in life could make you reach such illogical consequences

>he doesn't remember Are We There Yet?

Let's see how long that will last when he has a disease that will kill him in less than 5 years

people barely remember the sequel

The Sponge Who Could Fly special is like an early example of [adult swim] anti-humor shit, ahead of its time desu

>The Sponge Who Could Fly
THAT'S what it was called. I only knew it as "The lost Episode"

youtube.com/watch?v=PtCE9qgFVWc

When I watched Sponge Out of Water the only way I could describe it was that about 70% of the way through I checked how much time was left because I was wondering when the introduction was over and the rest of the movie was going to start

Even in the Adverts you could see there would be a lot of stuff they had to fit in.

Oh boy you're in for a ride.
spongebob.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_SpongeBob_SquarePants

Basically you could say that the show neptune is the predecessor to the movie?

God dammit I see you in every thread.

Your opinion is shit and you will be mocked enthusiastically every time you bring up your shit taste.

I've watched it multiple times since I saw it as a kid and still enjoy it. It probably is nostalgia though user. I saw it in theaters with my childhood friends. Gosh, those were the days. We were all so excited and even made our own card game based off the movie. What happened to us? I don't even talk to those people anymore. I don't even have friends anymore. God, what I would give for it to be back then again.

That's still so tragic to know. I've seen people with the disease and it's one of the most depressing things you can imagine.

Yeah, my aunt recently was diagnosed with it and she went from a really lively person to a shell that can barely move or talk anymore within less than a year.
I hope Steve can carry it out for as long as possible.

SPONGEBOB BETRAYED US

IVE GOT TO GET RID OF ALL MY SPONGEBOB STUFF.

ALL OF IT.

ALL OF IT.

>tfw tried to act out all the walk cycles in preschool-elementary.

still jam to the song

shut the fuck up faggot

Give me a 5 page essay why its bad