What are your thoughts on Doug "literally GamerGame" Tennapel?

What are your thoughts on Doug "literally GamerGame" Tennapel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I3WhdXPaUd8
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DevolutionDevice
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

go to Sup Forums faggot

When I was a kid, I considered him a minor deity for bringing EWJ and NH onto this unworthy planet. As I grew up and got myself the Internet (in early 2000s) I found out he kinda didn't make that much since. I watched Catscratch and it was unremarkable. Not bad, but ultimately forgettable. I've read Creature Tech - it had some good moments, but was also kinda neither here nor there. And I think I figured him out. He is a brilliant visionary but a pretty weak storyteller. EWJ (both games and the show) didn't really had a plot - it had setting and it worked. The story of NH was written by some other people. So he is one of those creative guys who absolutely had to be a part of a team and not in the leading position. Someone has to keep him in check. But as an artist and someone who made himself a name he doesn't want nor feels he needs it. That's why we probably won't ever get anything as magical from him anymore.

he did cartoons and comics. in fact more than he worked on games. I'm not the OP but I'll be offended on his behalf and call faggot on you, newfag.

>literally GamerGame
Um...

I think anyone who searches their own name on twitter deserves pity. On top of that his career is so pathetic that you really understand why he has to shout so loud to get any attention.

He's no Tyson Hesse or Rebecca Sugar I'll give you that

I remember this one ep of EWJ when he literally self-inserted himself into the show as the Great Worm Spirit and whined about the show cancellation or some other shit. He even called himself by the name, "hi kids, I am Doug Tennaple, the Great Worm Spirit...". that was awkward...

does he sell those?
because i want a signed drawing of earthworm jim

He seems like kind of a desperate asshole.

this picture is literally an ad for that. I know he does paintings and sells them. so sketches are a nobrainer.

Those are kickstarter bonuses for something or other I think, probably Armikrog

nah, he just doesn't know how to deal with the little fame he has. but he doesn't really abuses it. he did some staff to raise a brow or two, but nothing outrageous to call him an asshole. he mostly just does his little weird things, like this stupid Sockbaby movie or low profile comics and maintains some limited online presence. never making any noise, neither creatively nor publicly. the Armikrog was the biggest thing I guess, but it wasn't even his initiative AFIK. Nowadays he only makes these VeggieTales which is some Christian kids show, but a good one or so I heard... It looks like he made enough money to live quietly in his backwater suburban village and not to worry much.

One of the few actually talented hardcore bigots I've ever heard of

Talented but also a Christian fundie and thus worthless.

t. bigot

The Neverhood is amazing and he deserves a stopmotion show.

Literally /ourguy/

His visual design skills are nothing short of superb. I think he's a gigantic dick, but I"m not afraid of a little diversity in the people who create shit I watch.

If he counts as hardcore, it means your meter only goes up to tepid puding.

Great work, don't agree with him theologically, but who cares?

> who cares
Everybody for whom 3/4 of the value of their work lies in the moral and spiritual values conveyed through it.
So basically almost everybody right now.

Stupid no-good Gaymer Gays!

I've helped crowdfybd his two gigantic leatherbound sketchbooks and Armikrog, so yeah I think he's pretty fucking great as an artist. Bit of a dick as a person, but I couldn't care less about that

wtf are you retards are talking about? I literally learned he was a Christian from wikipedia, and I would never guessed if I didn't, because he keeps it to himself. in no work of his did I see any indication of religious message. admittedly Neverhood is inspired by the creation story, but who cares? did some of you felt like being preached through his works? did yo heard him say something on the topic of religion? again, what the fuck are you talking about? some of you really have to look up "bigot" in the dictionary, because that is what you are.

But that's literally what I said, you idiot.

except you then, whoever you may be, good user.

>in no work of his did I see any indication of religious message
the entire character of Professor Monkey for a Head from EWJ is Doug making fun of people who believe in evolution

Got bored of trying to slander the Diversity & Comics guy, eh?

Anyone here read Ratfist (2011)? The page-by-page enjoyment is really shaky and includes moments like 'ratfist teleports into Doug TenNapel's home and Doug introduces his family and children by name', but it's well drawn and a pretty interesting experience.
It seems to be about young people not understanding the meaning behind the questionable things that certain powerful people do. PLOT REVEAL: The villain is a smart older man who has found the cure for cancer but is trying to work out it's side effect that it turns people into humanoid animals. Ratfist is a young spiderman-type who's always eager to see himself as the hero and spends his time trying to topple this, and punching the guinea pigs for this cure who have been turned into animals.
It's an interesting message, that people who do bad things are doing them for good reasons and not everyone understands that, but it's definitely apologetic towards the cruel and wealthy. Anyone else looked at this? It seems very personal for Doug.

And you felt proselytized to Christianity because of this?

How is he a bigot? He's just a traditionalist and family man. He's never said anything about politics or the way people should be living. He doesn't want it worse off for anybody as far as any of his work, actions or words go.

oh really? did he? I mean did he really made an actual single identifiable joke with this character, directed at people who believe in evolution? or is it maybe, just maybe, your interpretation? Because surely monkeys and scientists have never been associated with each other in any other way...

youtube.com/watch?v=I3WhdXPaUd8

you know, it is really hard to make fun of religious fanatics, when some guys on "our side" are as presumptuous idiots, making shit up out of thin air, just like as they are.

Earthworm Jim did have an entire episode devoted to evolution, where he treated it like a joke. A funny joke, granted.

a comedy show brings something up for comedic effect? Get a load of this!

In creature tech it's all about giving your heart over to something alien that will make you better. And before the main character truly allows the connection to happen, he sees a vision of the creature crucified.

That's pretty on the nose there buddy.

But hey, maybe you were distracted by all the rad space eels.

>RRREEEEEE FUCKING CHRISTIANS GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT

the Darwin's Nightmare episode? where Bob devolves everyone to evolve himself? The only thing that is lampooned in this episode is Jacques-Yves Cousteau. By that logic Super Maraio Bros movie is anti-Darwinist as well as any show that uses tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DevolutionDevice
Do you even nineties? Also the script was written by Doug... but not that one. by Douglas Langdale.

your nose must be a of a football field size... but hey, if you really want to _believe_ Tennaple subliminally brainwashes you into Christianity - who am I to say it's not true?

For the record, there's nothing wrong with being Christian or putting that stuff in your work. I'm just saying, he puts a lot of it front and center in his work.

Except for Iron West. Now that shit is super great.

Don't forget the bad guy is an effeminate scientist weirdo who trades left hands with a demon. But seriously, that book is literally about both science and spirituality both having a place in somebody's life.

I don't think trying to "defend" the guy by claiming he doesn't put thematical connections to his beliefs in his work is doing him any favors (because he does). His work has personality and it's pretty unique in a lot of ways as well ; the difference with the usual theme-infusion we see in Sup Forums is that this one doesn't "concern itself" with issues and values simply because the authors realizes it has litte else going for it.

It's a message of selflessness with Christian imagery. No need to throw out the baby with the bathwater on this one, Doug doesn't tell you you're going to hell or that you need to go to church. He simply uses a personal symbol to invoke the idea of thinking outside of yourself. I understand religion is very complicated and oppressive noawadays but you don't need to receive any symbolism you see as an attack against your character and loyalty.

Creature Tech and Earthboy Jacobus are both heavily inspired by his faith. He says as much in interviews. They are pretty preachy.
That being said, he's been fairly public about his dislike of homosexuality, transgender people, atheists, and so on. Which may not bother you all that much. He's a good artist but he's also kind of a tool, which means he's in good company because a majority of artists are tools.

sorted into the same pile that John K is in. creative geniuses and visionaries that are also self-centered insufferable assholes

One of the few game industry leaders who cares more about the fans then about the industry clique.

>Nowadays he only makes these VeggieTales which is some Christian kids show, but a good one or so I heard
Sup Forums needs country flags at this point

I'm not denying using imagery. I even admitted he did myself.
>he's been fairly public about his dislike of homosexuality, transgender people, atheists, and so on
I also said "he did some staff to raise a brow or two". But it's not like he is calling for holocosting the said groups or whatever.

I strongly disagree with the notion that he preaches and "spreads the good news" and shit. If you watch Robocop commentary you'll know that Verhoeven envisioned him as the "American Jesus" with all that "dying for our sins", resurrecting, and bringing the message... only with a gun. I'm yet to hear about somebody converting to Ch. after watching it. Using some imagery or elements and being inspired by != promoting the source material.

> tumblr said it so it must be true
OK, so are you going to back that up or are you waltzing in here thinking "Christian who doesn't hide it = bigot"?

For the record I'm not Christian either but lacking any evidence on your part I'm inclined to assume you're underage.

Wow that's really harsh to say about Doug Tennapel. You really think he's as bad as John K? John K isn't even talented.

>self-centered insufferable assholes
Why? Because he's not dependent on any industry and is willing to express his beliefs through work? John K's a talented but shiftless lecher with an identity crisis so bad he pretends its normal to go half a decade working on the same unfinished piece of free animation as if anyone cared. Doug TenNapel's a constantly working independent creative type who is able to run his own projects to completion successfully in a way that allows him to do his own thing without compromising his freedom to express his beliefs. You can follow Doug TenNapel. Can you really follow John K?

>he's been fairly public about his dislike of homosexuality, transgender people, atheists, and so on

> he dislikes the identity politics I identify with, that makes him a bigot

No, he has an opinion. Grow the fuck up.

His comics are very good but that doesn't make his political stances not insane.

>his political stances not insane
link me these insane political stances

Do you even know what the word bigot means?

He literally believes that God is real, in a physical sense. Not a metaphor. He belongs in a cage.

Its definition is applicable to those who disagree with him here as well

> he believes in religion, LOCK HIM UP!!!
holy shit dude, I'm agnostic and I think you need incarceration more than he does

Why does modern Sup Forums defend religious insanity? No one would be defending this idiot's right to disbelieve in evolution a few years ago. Everyone would agree that he's a shithead and laugh at him.

>making excuses for delusional religious trash

The world would be a better place if you died. I'll leave it at that.

And if he was Muslim, Jewish, Atheistic, or anything else you wouldn't care.

As an atheist, I fucking despise people like you. You're just as sheltered as the people you claim to hate. Grow up.

He cares so much about pissing off people he doesn't see eye to eye with that he sabotages his career. That's insanity.

>No one would be defending this idiot's right to disbelieve in evolution a few years ago
And if his works explicitly expressed that concept in an undeniable fashion we would, just as we make fun of Jack Chick and his ilk.

You're just asspained because we aren't lighting torches and carrying pitchforks for what he personally believes. News fucking flash, we aren't your personal army.

Don't cut yourself on all that edge, you want to live to thirteen.

well, you believe you are fit to sentence people to freedom deprivation on account of their "thought crimes" against your world view - clearly you are a better person and deserves a medal.

I'm real confused here, I see a guy willing to engage someone who disagrees with him without hurling insults. What do you see that I don't?

muh misgendering

Heather is a girl. It's okay that you want to play dumb but it's the world we live in now.

OH
MY
GOD
HE MISGENDERED A SNOWFLAKE
KILL HIM NOW

You're allowed to pretend you aren't a man, but outside New York City no one is obligated to humor you.

Do you hate evangelion too?
Please show me wich character he made is an attack against homosexuals

>Heather is a girl
"is"
that means XX chromosomes, not "muh feelings"

Too care about it to the point that you sabotage yourself is insanity. It does not matter what people want to call themselves and it cost nothing to not be a dick.

Look up pictures of Heather and ask yourself if you'd use female pronouns with that person without being aware of their preferences.

What is your stance on Muslim migration?

Yes, his...bigoted opinions. I'm not saying he's not allowed to have them. I'm just saying it makes him a shitty person.

That aside, the user who said he basically needs to be part of a team to flourish is right. Amerikrogg wasn't great and it was particularly because he was calling the shots.
I'll always appreciate him for Skullmonkeys.

>that you sabotage yourself
In what sense did this occur beyond you naively believing he somehow blackballed himself without any evidence of it having occurred?

His last comic was published 5 years ago.

>Modern co
You haven't been here longer than a year

>it makes him a shitty person
just say shitlord, it's what you meant and equally dismissible

People, artists in particular, have strongly held opinions and they aren't obligated to align with your own. They never were and never will be.

30 years ago the people demanding litmus tests were conservatives. Now they're self-styled progressives. If you waste time analyzing the personal lives and beliefs of creatives you are in fact the shit person because you've become addicted to identity politics and epistemological closure where the only allowable people are those who you believe to share your own positions on everything.

No one cares except you and a few saber rattling internet people and some really terrible journalists mostly in the UK.

As a lifelong liberal I am here to tell you there is no fucking "right side of history."

You have a story about him having his work rejected by publishers between then and now, or are you the sort to conflate inference with implication?

Finally a thread on doug and It's ruined by a random intolerant to religion translet sjw
Why did i expect sonething else?

Where did he say that? Metaphysics are very real, you'd have to show me something pretty damning for me to believe he thinks a flesh and blood large magical giant is sitting atop some clouds, instead of you just being a touchy youth who thinks any talk of characterized metaphysics is an attack against them?

Sobtage? Doug's doing damn fine. Finishes a major project around every other year, and is an upper-middle class creative and a family man. What's the problem? I think his humility with his career goes well in line with his expressed beliefs.

>His last comic was published 5 years ago.
thats when he started working on Armikrog (not to mention VeggieTales in the House, where he is writer and executive producer). Do you know how labor intensive animation is. especially stop motion animation?

Doug started with EWJ and ended with EWJ

That's bible-thumping for you. I'm not even talking about his blog or twitter shitstorms, it's seeping in everything he's doing.

Oh yes, going from making his own comics to that bug infested game and religious fruit propaganda. He's doing great.

>blog or twitter shitstorms, it's seeping in everything he's doing

its only because from your perspective "everything he's doing" starts and ends with twiter-shitting. you know, the universe exists outside of internet...

What is your definition of 'great'? He's a working professional cartoonist who has always been able to find a job. You just don't like that he's a talent who does work that you don't agree with. Veggie Tales isn't even pro-church and never brings up Christ.

>He is a brilliant visionary but a pretty weak storyteller.
This summarizes most artists/animators. People tend to forget that vidya, cartoons/animation, films, comics and so on are collaborative works of a team of people that specialize in particular skills.

>Veggie Tales isn't even pro-church

Totally not pro church

ok, let me get this straight (or "non-sexually diverse" if the word "straight" triggers you). You really thinks he's done some carrier damage to himself and is being ostracized by publishers because he called some self-proclaimed-female a "good man"? That's your point?

My point is it's been five years since he's done anything which also happens to be around the time he started posting crazy things online. Maybe if he spent less time defending the Charlottesville protesters on twitter he might be able to make something besides vegetable based religious work.

1, Armikrog
2. >vegetable based religious work
key word "work". why do you think he is doing it out of desperation?
take your head out of your ass. he is working on things he wants to work on in the moment.who said the comics thing wasn't a phase in between tv and game work?

1. Garbage
2. Garbage

user why are you so focused on his work on Veggie Tales?

Okay we get it. You think he's a bad person because he doesn't work on your favorite personal type of media. I guess that explains why you bitch so much.

and EWJ & NH were so brilliant because he made them in his atheistic gay-loving years... grow the fuck up.

Because it's the only thing he's done in the past 3 years?
If he would make good things instead of bad ones it wouldn't matter. His politics have no weight on whether I enjoy his work.

>Because it's the only thing he's done in the past 3 years?
No. I'm talking about how you seem to think less of him for having a career in animation working on a religion themed cartoon.

>If he would make good things instead of bad ones it wouldn't matter.
>if he spent less time defending the Charlottesville protesters on twitter he might be able to make something besides vegetable based religious work.

so, if he did something good - his socio-theo-political views wouldn't matter, but as long as he producing garbage - his political stance must be the cause... I see...

>He hasn't made ANYTHING in the past 5 years he's a fucking white male
>No those things he's made in the past 5 years don't count.
Sure pal.

It's not that it's religion themed, it's that it isn't good. There is a difference between Veggie Tales and Prince of Egypt
You need to work on your reading comprehension, my post said he hasn't made any comics in 5 years.

>so, if he did something good - his socio-theo-political views wouldn't matter, but as long as he producing garbage - his political stance must be the cause... I see...
If he focused on working on good things instead of shitposting online maybe the quality of his work would be better? Armikrog was a steaming pile of garbage, unplayable because of bugs but Doug was saying it was going to be this great spiritual successor to Netherhood.