What are the true cultural differences when it comes to animation?

What are the true cultural differences when it comes to animation?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe)
youtube.com/watch?v=2XmSZuITeM0
youtube.com/watch?v=3SApSVOLeGU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union
i.imgur.com/hDGV2HX.png
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin_(TV_series)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Europe doesn't have old school Wallace and Gromit, Thomas the tank engine, Postman Pat, or Fireman Sam
Explain yourself OP.

There's nothing memorable there really.

Enjoy your ban

>There's nothing memorable there really.
>Wallace and Gromit

Better than half the crap on that picture.

>Europe only has Mia and Me as a representation of italian animation
off yourself kindly

Its all made in Korea anyway

Them chinks know how to animate.

>Nothing but entry level trash in Japan
At least throw in so Kaiba or Ping Pong in there to mix things up.

None really. It's either animation done internally (Disney, Aardman), or outsourced to South Korea.

You think OP even knows what those are? You overestimate him

For a second there I thought the rows were meant to signify something... like, what's the key element connecting Gravity Falls, Asterix & Obelix and Elfen Lied?

What do Family Guy and K-On have in common?

They're terrible? I assume the Europe thing is too.
I'm European and I don't recognize it at all

It's italian, it's called Mia And Me, made by Rainbow (same people responsible for Winx and other stuff), it mixes animation with live action and... it's forgettable, I guess. The animation parts are the better ones, while the live action is insufferable.

Winx I would have at least recognized. This is apparently on Nickelodeon where I live but I've never seen it or heard of it

>Country
>Continent
>Country

Yeah I have no idea why the OP picked that over stuff like Winx or Monster Allergy if he wanted recognizable stuff... or good italian animated movies like L'Arte Della Felicità

>animation
user, why did you use asterix and tintin comic than?

What? Here in europe it did a big footstep. It produced Shaun the sheep which is the mickey mouse of european kids entertainment. Just without the evil corporation and in its infancy years.

Guess he means cultural animation industries.

>shaun the sheep
Garbage. What are you, twelve?

The whole Europe line needs to be broken up into Franco-Belgian, Italian, British and German+. To many differences between these four groups to be grouped together.

Europe and Japan are much more competent with animation in current days.

>All those shows are British

This, they have basically nothing in common, OP is a pleb

I wasn't aware Winx was European.

No, user, Europe is a big fucking continent, you don't say "european", you say "italian"

Is Roberto Saviano the guy who wrote Gomorrah?

>Subtle nazi undertones in Tabaluga
How did Germans got away with this?

Never forget about that past and always feel guilty.

Yup

Well, for one, the animation industry in Europe is fucking DEAD.

Might as well just be France and Belgium over there.

It's kinda sad, actually.

>Continent
That flag is the EU, which is Europe as much as the USA are the continent of America.
The EU is a supranational body of governance developing increasingly state-like features, so it is actually kinda fair to cover the European animation efforts under this category.

Well then picked up. i mean I know its just a preface but still

That's also the flag of the continent as well, actually. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Europe)

I believe one big problem in Europe is that cartoons are STILL being viewed as infantile media for kids, which eliminates the possibility of broader and more creative works. The European industry is simply boring.

The EU doesn't have one connected television market thought. You have multiple markets with multiple different channels.

>STILL being viewed as infantile media for kids
Same goes for the US.

The problem in Europe is that the smaller states just can't afford it. If Lithuania or whatever released a show it would probably be sub-par compared to France, or the US and reach a much smaller audience.

As for Germany, I guess they're just autistic.
(or just don't have a long enough tradition of animation)

I was gonna say that's bullshit, but can't really think of any good recent Euro comics or cartoons that aren't French or Belgian.

I'd rather point to the market choices.
European TV stations can either:
-Dedicate vast funding to create and maintain animation studios in an ever changing media economy
-Buy foreign cartoons and anime, hire translators and dub actors
With the latter choice being usually the most secure option on the table.

May I recommend Gatta Cenerentola as well? Well, technically it's not out yet so I'm not certain if it'll get an english dub or not, but it's by the same people who made L'Arte Della Felicità and the trailer looks fairly promising
youtube.com/watch?v=2XmSZuITeM0

Germany has no tradition of animation to speak of.
We have been importing everything for decades and the only stuff written here is animated elsewhere for cheap.
Because nobody here wants to take any financial risk in media.
All productions are either safe bets or lowest-denominator crowd pleasers.
In part this is due to TV dying a slow death, in part it's what makes it die in the first place.
TV in Germany is now one half aimed at old people by public broadcasting and the other half is aimed at morons who are easy to please and have absolutely no standards.
The juicy working upper-middle-class and young people above 15 are pretty much out of the medium. They might have a trip to the cinema, but they're mostly on netflix or online.

Yeah, you basically described most of Europe there. It'll be interesting to see what the media landscape will look like without TV.

No wonder all German guests at the hotel I work at speak English with a vaguely American accent.

>can't really think of any good recent Euro comics or cartoons that aren't French or Belgian
That's 'cause they don't translate it, not because it's not there

We sure as hell don't watch much BBC.
More arte, actually.

Looks like a stylized vidya cutscene. Still might be good

That's what I thought as well, it kinda also reminds me of Gorillaz for some reason.
Here's a better trailer though youtube.com/watch?v=3SApSVOLeGU

They teach us British English, but my teacher gave me a lot of shit for using American words all the time, because I mostly consume American media.

t. not German

Huh. That looks nice.

japan is weaboo shit

t. a man who never saw Samurai Gourmet

Can"t think of anything good Dutch or German and I speak those

Well too bad for your country then, but don't speak for all of us

You sound like a 10 year old.

Literally. This is the sort of shit I would've said when I was 10.

When did I speak for all of us Mr. Noexamples?

Why del, user.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Broadcasting_Union
And it's far more than a symbolic organization, it organizes the Eurovision Song Contest for one thing.

Add Shaun the Sheep, Spirou and Fantasio, and Wakfu to Europe.
Europe may unironically be the saviour of animations, now that the US railroaded itself between three networks and Japan being caught up in moe hell, which prevents them from producing anything decent for the next decade.

Heck I wish Eastern Europe animations makes a comeback.

>Penguins and Polar Bears sharing a habitat

>wakfu
>savior of animations
keep jerking off kid

They are commanded by a snowman fighting a dragon. Don't ask too many questions.

I thought the ponies were animated in Canada and before that, the Philippines.

About that, I wonder why the thread hasn't been pruned yet

And Pingu.

Sounds kinda awesome to be honest.
But knowing Germany, where cartoons and video games are considered stuff exclusively for children between 6 and 12, any potential it has is watered down and nothing is coming from it.

Enjoy you CalArts, fag

Cartoons are for kids. There's a reason we hide our identities here on Sup Forums.

Yeah, that's because anonfagging is encouraged here.

>anonfagging
What the fuck does that even mean? We're all anons here...

Oh, you better believe it's trite shit produced by committee.
Also based on a rock opera grown out of a concept album later turned into a children's book that had its corpse flayed by TV execs so any meaning that might have been there at some point is lost in a 30-year game of telephone.

i.imgur.com/hDGV2HX.png

Why are you here then?
Go back to tumblr or reddit,

EU isn't a continent

Man, FUCK Pingu!

I kinda hope Super RTL gets really strong in the next two years and changes something.
They now got the rights to show CN stuff. HTTYD gets new episodes and that one always gave them ridiculous ratings. Zak Storm also might do incredibly well considering the premise and they also get to show Trollhunters which is supposed to be pretty good and critically acclaimed.

For 2018/19, they can already safely say that they get to air King Julien:Exiled and DC Superhero Girls which can act as a gateway for the other DC IPs. Also, there is a legit chance they might get to show Voltron and Villianous.

These guys really have the potential to nuke the Age ghetto in Germany in the next two years if they play thier cards straight.

a defense a 10 year would use

Potential yes, but I think they are not even trying.
Tells a lot, when a common joke is "My girlfriend is so young, she thinks I'm toggo"

>Country
>Union
>Country

Despite their best efforts, sometimes discussions about cartoons manage to slip through the cracks here on the Politics and Live Action Movies board.

I used to read all the diverse 70's and 80's eurocomics from all over the continent, there was always a ton of stuff on TV too back in the 90's. I want to go back to that level of comfyness again

>union
Not much longer at this rate :^)

If you actually think any other countries are gonna leave, you're delusional as fuck.

The EU will collapse neatly on its own, don't have to get more countries leaving

Maybe if the Brits didn't look like complete morons now as they stand there like a teenager who took up a dare he knows he won't survive.
But they blinked. After they doomed themselves and now every new member state is out for blood because the Brits had gotten sweet deals forever and talked shit about their people.
Also Ireland and Spain want their land back.

Sorry, but how?
If nobody leaves, then how does it collapse?

That's even more delusional, if that's even possible that is.

ITT

>italy's flag has orange instead of red
Crawl into a hole and die, cunt

That is the only one you recognise as wrong?

ya cuz it's my flag

you missed the joke son, thas ireland, hense the cunt

What about Belgium, Netherlands, Malta and Austria?
The joke is that it's fucking obvious they are misidentified.

Look I don't know flags that well

I just want to say that Sally Bollywood is a guilty pleasure of mine, and I'm surprised at how good the English dub is despite it obviously being done in someone's home, instead of at an official recording studio, and I wish we could get more episodes of it.

How can you grow up in Europe and not know at LEAST the difference between France and Netherlands

>tintin comic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Tintin_(TV_series)

This reminds me...
Why does Britain barely have a cartoon industry?
While America and Japan are much bigger than us, it can't be because we don't have the economy to support it, because CANADA is more relevant to cartoons than we are.