Wonder Woman movie tops 800 million dollars

She finally proved her right to be part of DC trinity

forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/08/20/box-office-wonder-woman-ends-summer-by-topping-800m-worldwide/#34ce717a296e

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman.htm&adjust_yr=2017&p=.htm
forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/#665b0c9f2fb8
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel2016.htm
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

That makes it the #1 superhero origin film right?

It feels pretty damn good to be a Wondy fan these days.

More profit than BvS!

No, that's Raimi Spider-Man.

Haven't seen it yet but I hope this encourages DC to put more comic book content out there on the Silver Screen.

Wonderful.

No she past it.

Wonder Woman is #1

*passed

Domestically, not worldwide.

>Wonder Woman
>Worldwide: $800,008,376

>Spider-Man
>Worldwide: $821,708,551

Ah well. still has Japan

Good times are here, my friend.

Why does that kids shirt say Mom?

It shows to other women that he's already his mom's sexual property.

How SEETHING will mousecucks be when Captain Marvel's movie doesn't come anywhere close to Wonder Woman's numbers?

I thought the movie was fine after GotG2 being shit__, but seeing these numbers after a full year of Sup Forums predicting it was going to make less than Catwoman is the best part of it all

She's been a part of the trinity for decades. There was a Trinity comic book featuring the three of them a decade ago, just as there is one in Rebirth. There was a prestige format 'near Elseworld' time mini featuring the three of them that was also called Trinity in 2003.

She's been continuously published, without interruption, since the Golden Age. The oldest Marvel/Timely characters cannot say that, given that Namor hasn't been published continuously for most of his history and hasn't even been in a team book for most of history, Captain America has huge gaps and wasn't even Steve Rogers for some of those runs, and the original Torch has been non-existent for most of his history.

Domestic is what those things get measured as. Sony Pictures made most of their money from the box office gross on any of their Spider-Man pictures from the North America box office, as is the case with Disney/Buena Vista and Warner Brothers.

However, to be fair, the first Raimi SM would inflation adjust higher. The point of that would be ticket sales, butts in seats. Especially since the first trilogy didn't have those 3D sales.

All that notwithstanding, it's still an impressive achievement. Raimi had a bit more of a track record as a director than Patti Jenkins and Spider-Man probably had more popular culture currency in 2000 than Wonder Woman can reasonably claim a year ago.

What he means is that Wonder Woman, sales wise, hasn't been one of DC's biggest properties like she was in the Golden Age for a very long time. So you've had a lot of people for the past 20 or so years saying that she doesn't deserve to be there, that Flash should be there, or Green Lantern in the Johns years, etc.

This right now has finally shut those people up.

don't forget to count in inflation. Wondy has no chance to pas it

>She finally proved her right to be part of DC trinity
She'd need an Oscar like Donner Superman and Burton Batman. It's coming.

>Spider-Man probably had more popular culture currency in 2000 than Wonder Woman can reasonably claim a year ago.

No probably about it. Spider-Man is Marvels biggest character by far after all

I don't get why he's saying 'un-statute?'

Inflation is meaningless and the legitimate sites that provide that data generally offer it only for dollars (so e.g. it's domestic based). On that basis, Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 both beat A LOT of other movies, adding an extra near $215 M to it's domestic gross (for the original movie). Only the Marble team up (and then only the original) Avengers inflation adjusts higher.

But again, Avengers has Imax and 3D.

A much fairer way to really compare anything (and I'd still agree that Spider-Man would be ahead of many other films) would be tickets sold, since that means actual butts in seats, discounting whether it's a 3D theater, etc.

It's a stupid thing from JMS's shitty run, of which that's the only good page. She's an "un-statue" because she's a "golem" formed from clay.

no, if I had to choose one, then revenue is way better than raw units. (the real best would simply be both.) for example, some borderline interested customer is only willing to pay the matinee price for a movie, and would be a lost sale if you tried to charge full price. That should count as half a sale, in the same way I max counts as double.

It's like comparing VIP concert tickets to nosebleeds.

>JMS run
>shit
Please, it was pedestrian at the very worst.

Steve was the best part of the movie. Wonder Woman was truly the first cape movie to get romance right, other than maybe Raimi's Spiderman.

I will never watch it

In raw numbers, yes. But adjusted for ticket price inflation and especially considering budget it's Superman 1. Its $301 million gross equates to nearly $1.2 billion today. With $510 million domestic.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman.htm&adjust_yr=2017&p=.htm

idk, MoS and BvS has had a pretty great romance between Clark and Lois for me. The way she can see past the powers and the Supermaness and just loves him for trying to do right, and how she is actually trying to help and do things instead of just be a victim/goal for the protag. I guess Trevor shared a lot of those same aspects--he saw past WW's godliness to her true flawed self that was struggling with man's world and loved her because of that.

No she didn't.

Adjusted for inflation those movies made over a billion each.

>MoS and BvS has had a pretty great romance between Clark and Lois for me
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

B-but Wonder Woman was a mess! Insiders told me so!

why is this drawing dated year 3013?

One of the Legionnaires drew it, clearly.

WW might actually end up similarly profitable to Avengers 2.5 at this point, accounting only for the ticket sales at least.

forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/#665b0c9f2fb8

Let's crunch some numbers. BVS had a production budget of $250 million and marketing budget of $165 million (2/3 production costs). Civil War had the same production budget (net, not gross) so it's fair to say the marketing budget was similar as well. Civil War would therefore cost $415 million. If WW's budget was proportionally similar, then at a $149 million production budget it would cost $100 million to market for a total cost of $249 million. That seems right for a blockbuster movie in the $140-150 million budget range, and matches other figures I've seen.

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=marvel2016.htm
Civil War made $408 million domestic, $180 million in China, and $565 million everywhere else, for a total of $1.153 billion worldwide. Applying the Forbes research above:

25% of 180m = 45m
42% of 565m = 237m
52% of 408m = 171m
453 - 415 = $38 million (before home video and TV revenues)

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wonderwoman.htm
Wonder Woman made $405 million domestic, $90 million in China, and $305 million everywhere else. Probably will hit $410m domestic and $315 everywhere else but China by the time it's done in a couple weeks, if only because of Japan. Maybe a couple million more in China too.

25% of 92m = 23m
52% of 410m = 213m
42% of 310m = 130m
366 - 249 = $117 million (before home video and TV revenues)

Civil War likely has a lot more in the way of interest cost, talent participation cost, etc. as well. in total it'll probably be a bit more profitable than WW when home video sales and TV revenues are considered. But they're very much comparable.

Thank you.

Just shows what you can do when your budget isn't completely out of control and you focus on making a movie that's enjoyable by all rather than one that "appeals" to all while cross-advertising all your other movies.

what a quality response.

>m..m..muh Inflation

m8, its clear that we aren't counting inflation in this scenario.

So basically, the WW movie is the film studio equivalent to Bravely Default. Though admittedly, it was way funnier when Square Enix did it, cause they were actually surprised by the whole thing.

I snarf'd.

>imagine how much solo Batman and Flash movies could make if done properly
>imagine all the hype about JL if all solo movies were done BEFORE it
Fucking WB wanted fast money, now JL will be happy with pathetic 1 bil.

>implying it matters
Dude, they want to do a fuckin' Flashpoint movie for fucks sake. Flashpoint.

Right after they built up plenty of good will with Wondy's solo picture, they decide to do a story that portrays her as basically the extreme opposite of what made audiences like the character.

Like, WB has pulled some truly boneheaded moves before, but holy shit, it's like they want to create a PR nightmare.

>BvS Wonder Woman is a battle hungry cynical bitch
>Audiences love her being badass and not believing in mankind
>Solo Wonder Woman is all lovey lovey except when she isn't
>Audiences love her being all lovey lovey and believing in mankind and contradicting BvS

I will have to tell you again: people don't give a shit about Wonder Woman's characterization.
If she was a ballbuster, all these faggots in the comic industry that complain about her being violent in the comics would praise it, and everything would be about how "badass" she was, and nothing would change.

That's how DCAU Wonder Woman is still popular.

Let's continue this line. Forbes says that BVS had "$30 million for talent guild residuals and "off-the-tops" (releasing related expenses), $15 million in interest expense, and reportedly around $90 million for talent participation." A total of $135 million in additional costs. With CW being a similarly-budgeted film with a lot of talent behind it, those costs should be very similar on Civil War. With WW having about 60% of BVS's budget I'll assume it was around 60% of those costs as well or ~$81 million (talent participation and guild fees shouldn't be too high, the only one who's not a literally who is Pine).

CW: 117 - 135 = -$18m
WW: 117 - 81 = $36m

Now add home video and TV revenues. According to Forbes, home entertainment sales for BVS were $240 million and global TV revenues were $125 million. AOU had $310 million in home entertainment and $160 million in TV revenue. WW made very close to BVS's overall gross, had better reviews, and actually made slightly more in places where home video sales are actually relevant (read: not China) so it should make similar in those areas. We'll also make the very, very generous assumption that Civil War will have similar performance in these areas to AOU, a film that made $300 million more at the box office.

WW: $36m + $240m + $125m = $401 million net profit.
CW: -$18m + $310m + $160m = $452 million net profit.

Again, CW probably made a lot less than AOU; if we apply the same percentages (AOU's home video sales were 22% of box office)... then home video sales would only be 22% of $1.153b, or $253 million. Now subtract the $57 million difference (we'll be nice and assume it'll still have the same TV revenue) and we get a final result of:

WW: $401 million
CW: $395 million

Damn. I genuinely wasn't expecting that when I started crunching numbers.

autism

When will Superman prove he deserves his spot?

no its arithmetic.

whose gonna take it from him?
J'onn?

>trying to figure out hollywood accouting when not even accountants know what they do and just come up with bullshit

that's not arithmetic

Thor and Cap and Hulk were only mildly successful.

Everyone already knows who Flash and Superman and Batman are. JL is going to be the advertisement for those movies, not the other way around.

Most of the people who went to see Avengers didn't see Thor and Cap, they were there for Iron Man.

yeah, people tend to forget that superman and batman are far more popular characters than pretty much everyone in the MCU except maybe spidey. Hordes of third world kids watched BTAS and Justice League, and they are now older and suddenly have a lot of spending power.

>for

Also
>LANGLOIS Funeral captcha

>Tickets cost more now a days due to I-Max, 3D, etc and people willing choosing a 'better' experience
>Movie still made more than Wonder Shit
>This means more people saw the Spider-Man movie than saw wonder woman
>Spider-Man was a cultural phenomenon when released, Wonder Woman is at best going to be remembered as an ok movie
Kek

Not only Spider-man, but also Batman 1989

It's amazing how smart DC people are. While Marvel was shitting out the same Iron Man rehashes three times a year, DC was laying the ground for an unsinkable ship. Kids grow up with DC cartoons (TTG, that princesses thing, DCAU), playing DC games (Arkham saga, Injustice) and some of them reading the wildly superior DC comics (Rebirth and their classic titles). Now even pieces of shit like Suicide Squad and those CW shows outperform equivalent Marvel products because the kids have been exposed to DC all their lives. And now a Wonder Woman solo movie is crushing a Spider-Man + Iron Man movie.

>DCEU abortion single handedly salvaged by one overrated movie
>literally only became a success because GRRL POWAH and shit

You also realize DCucks had their first success because of the same gender pandering they belittle Marvel for practicing.

They are actual genuine hypocrites who praise a woman winning because she's a woman

>i-its an abortion
>every move is profitable and average grosses are practically the same as marvel movies.
>DCEU does a female superhero extremely well.

>first success

>average grosses are practically the same as marvel movies.
Higher actually. Suicide Squad wasn't released in China so DC should be ahead on worldwide average, you can see it in the domestic one. But hey, next movie will totes flop, Sup Forums told me this time they are done for!

When WB remembers he needs to be charismatic rather than just pitiful

>CW
>Studio Net profit
>$194

>SS
>Studio Net profit
>$158

>doesn't read the next line.

>I thought the movie was fine after GotG2 being shit__

For all the talk about how BTFO I am I'm happy Wonder Woman is doing well. She's been around for like 80 years; she deserves this win after all that time. And maybe this will finally convince WB that people want superhero movies where the superheroes aren't angsting all over the place and that you can do something other than Batman and have it be successful. Maybe now we can finally get away from the Snyderverse,

>doesn't read his own fucking data

>movie is determined by it's CGI
someone post the floating spooderman.

He's right you know

>i-i-i-i-i-it doesn't count
KEK

>movie that is released in one of the biggest markets in the world ends up making marginally more profit that a movie that wasn't.
>its revenue/cost ratio is lower.

They spent much more to get that much though. Suicide Squad had a better return on investment without China, that's the highlighted part and the only relevant one.

>Rotten Tomatoes

>marginally more profit
>a full 200 mill more
>marginal
And it would have still beaten it without China
>CW
>Studio Net profit
>$194

>SS
>Studio Net profit
>$158

This kills the DCkek

>RT only counts while discussing BvS and MoS.

Yeah baby groot and that pacman shit was much worse. Sorry

>studio net profit is 158.45 to 193.20
>its is a worse ratio
wew lad.

You know what the best part of all this was? It outed DCfags as being nothing but hypocrites for dying by RT word considering a year ago they were saying that they didn't matter and made a petition for them to stop being so mean now with them changing their tone with WW they've systematically admitted that BvS and SS were shit.

>acktually we have the moral high ground

So you admit that they were bad movies? Okay
>net profit
>net profit
>profit
wew

>it's better to spend 100 bucks to get 12 dollars (12% ROI) on profit than spending 50 bucks to get 10 dollars (20% ROI) because 12 is more than 10!
user I...

And I just love how you're not denying it. Will you have that same tone when Justice League scores lower?

>movie costs significantly more to make
>net profit is barely a fraction of that because the chinese market sucks all the money.
>has a lower profit cost ratio.

>CW
>Studio Net profit
>$194

>SS
>Studio Net profit
>$158

No, we don't give a fuck about RT. Seeing MCU friends looking for excuses and saying that critics don't matter is the best part of all this. I still like BvS and MoS more than WW

>CW return on investment
>1.31

>SS return on investment (no China)
>1.34

>W-w-w-w-w-w-we don't give a shit about RT
>W-w-w-w-we're just posting it ironically to make Marvel d-d-d-d-d-d-rones mad!
This is just sad

>CW
>Studio Net profit
>$194

>SS
>Studio Net profit
>$158

And Donner Superman. Adjust that for inflation and it made over 500mil domestic and it made more overseas

>Spider-Man Homecoming final gross when it comes out in China is projected to be as high as $850 million

>WW is looking to project worse than BvS in Japan with a final gross of 823 million

>Keeps posting that one scene from the part of the movie most agree was weak

Now show the CGI where the Avengers fight Ultron. It's been 2 years and it's already unwatchable

>that stutterposting
Sad indeed

sure, I don't mind the score. I wanted to see the JL ever since the animated series aired.

>Spider-Man is only going to marginally beat out Wonder Woman

That's shit

>make up

I'm glad WW is kicking ass. It proves DC properties themselves weren't the problem; giving them to asshole writers and edgelord directors was.
If WW had failed that would be fine to because it would've convinced WB to pull the plug all the sooner.
So it's a win-win so long as you're not a kinofag that has to backtrack and make excuses now.

>Spider-Man v Iron Man Dawn of Flops is likely to gross less worldwide than a Wondy solo flick despite costing more and having a record breaking marketing budget
>it's already confirmed it's going to make less in the US
Now I'm sad

You do realize that WW has beaten the majority of the Spider Man movies now right?