Unsounded

>And we're back! This has been an eventful two weeks. Otakon was a blast, and hello again to all the cool people I chatted with and who came by to pick up books and swag. I got so much cool fanart, it made me want to cryyy.

>It should be apparent that the site's looking a little uh, different... Well, it was pretty egregiously ruined by spambots while I was gone. I was able to restore the wiki but I honestly don't want to restore the update blog. It's unsecure garbage and is to blame for the attack. So for now, I'm going to keep the site static and do all the updating manually. During the chapter break I will build us a new blog with a shiny new comment section. Until then, you can always get a direct hold of me on Tumblr, and follow the Twitter feed or Facebook Group for page update announcements. And the next one of those will be on Friday. Thanks, everyone!

Da spells Sette's name as "Setty"... with a tail?

My guess is Sette's gonna learn how to recognize her own name in his handwriting because it'll have a tail in the S, every time.

Looks like the waterwomen aren't pleased with Minnow. Wonder what's up.

>Setty
So have we been spelling it wrong the whole time? "Sette" might be the "proper" spelling, but it's kinda like naming your kid "Ashlee" or "Ashli". No matter how wrong it is, it's the proper spelling of her name if Nary gave it to her. Assuming he gave it to her.

Jealous thots. It's easy to see why.

titties alert
inb4 deleted

That's actually really fucking cute. Nary Best Dad, aside from the abuse.

>spells it setty with a tail on the S
Nary a cute. CUTE!

They don't condone her voyeurism fetish

She stole their shiny shit earlier

I think it's mostly significant because that's the one word Sette WILL learn to read: her name, because of the tail. And that will probably be significant later on if they come by other commications from her da (or receive letters claiming to be from him, but are missing the signature tail-- "that ain't da's writing!")

That little flourish would seem to indicate Nary does have SOME fondness for Sette after all. Perhaps Starfish was 110% full of shit after all.

How many headpats do you suppose Duane will parcel out to Sette if he finds out she's taking up trying to read on her own?

>perhaps
iirc he said he sold her but this confirms Sette was suppose to go on the ferry with Duane and the silver

Enough to cancel any potential growth she would ever have.

Get outta here, Carol. Misuzu a best.

Starfish was a saint! He's be back to calm down Settes body image issues

bump

Back to shadow realm with you, Starfish.

>Well, he shoulda been more agreeable 'cause he wound up just a head.

I really do love Sette.

>proper spelling
Weren't much of a thing before general education standards rose. It's likely "Sette" is the general name, and he picked that and writes it phonetically without much consideration for it being how he should actually write it or not. We write it Sette because that's how it's spelled in the dialog and there's probably not any birth certificates, regardless of Sette's origin, given how Nary and Sharteshane works to say otherwise. Considering Cope's love for language, it'll probably come up if/when Sette takes more of an interest in the written word. Especially her name. She'll probably insist on Setty, regardless of what anyone else says.

I have to rework my picture of Nary after seeing that affectionate way of spelling Sette

>affectionate
pff

Haven't you guys ever seen a cursive Y? That clearly says Settej. We just can't see the dot of the j.

So okay, maybe Settej's name has a more exotic spelling than we thought. But I have an alternate reading for you that will open your minds.

The tail is on the S. If you you take "tail" as the "end" and therefore read the word backward, you get JETTES. According to Google, the word "jettes" is some form of the french word for DISPOSAL. This is clearly a coded mesage, and Stockyard was right all along.

>no dot on "j"
>"e" doesn't look anything like the other "e" we can clearly see in the same word
>it's obviously "ej" and not "y", guys

The first "e" has an opening flourish, since "S" needed to be drawn differently thanks to the code.
The dot is off-panel, following the arc of the line drawn through the "tt".

You're really not as funny as you think you are.

Not everyone wants to be a comedian, friendo.

if i recall Ashley has hinted that Sette's name holds significance which Duane has missed because he doesn't understand proper Sharteshanian pronunciation.

There's also the obvious symbolism of Nary naming his daughter Setty and Duane naming her Sette

Any Ideas on what the meaning might be?

itisamystery.jpg

Nary having a university education makes him more similar to Duane than I'd have expected. They're both scions of lower families having gotten about as far as their births will allow them to through exceptional talent. They both secretly hope that their daughters will one day surpass them and reach the heights they themselves could never grasp.

Reminder Nary is a bad dad.

Well yes, but he doesn't seem to be quite so hideously cold as some folks feared.