What's the antithesis of the relentlessly pessimistic, fuck up, alcoholic, ageing male trope permeating animation?

What's the antithesis of the relentlessly pessimistic, fuck up, alcoholic, ageing male trope permeating animation?

Where can we go from characters like Bojack and Rick?

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=goku
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope we get many more of these characters and that they'll all kill themselves in their series finale.

I meant more in the line of "whats going to be the next "good" male character trope?"

Bojack/Rick/Rusty were a breath of fresh air compared to the bumbling idiot dads of 90's cartoons, and bumbling idiot dads were a deconstruction of fathers being tyrants in the home going back to the 50s/60s.

The obvious next step is to cut old males out entirely.

He did it way before these posers.

A young girl whose endlessly positive and naive with optimism about the future and her life while taking good care of herself and the people around her?

Basically the youngest of kids' cartoons?

There's a reason why the cynic has become somewhat of a trope. Mainstream western audiences are so used to positive kids cartoons that the inclusion of a nihilistic character into a cartoon is somewhat new to them

I'm fine with that.

Truly Japan is ahead of its time

See nihilism to me isn't "nothing has value better fucking off myself", its more like "wow nothing has any inherent meaning its pretty intriguing that things worked out the way they did".

The universe is pretty amazing considering its just a random assembly of electronically charged particles.

do the same thing but with females.

then move on completely to the invese of the situation where happy go lucky people slowly REALIZE how shit life is.IE Spongebobs becoming Squidward over 2 seasons.

Then after that we start again from step one where we have conservative dads like Hank Hill

>randomly

Nihilism and atheism are the mark of a small intellect.

yeah lets make this thread about the reason for existance

Amelie

He's coming!

>Being religious because its the new way to be contrarian

I thought this was only a thing on Sup Forums.

You should rely on your own merits to appear intelligent, user.

Wander over Yonder.
>The helper seeks to help because he knows what it is to be helpless

>Reddit is atheist so I'm religious

I hear most of them are into breathing too.

rather in the pilot

He looks like trash though. I wouldn't fuck his tight little ass.

>antithesis of the relentlessly pessimistic, fuck up, alcoholic, ageing male trope permeating animation?

I guess that would be the relentlessly optimistic, insufferably cute and quirky little girl trope permeating animation.

Honestly, you'd have to go to Boku no Hero Academia, an animation show that literally is built around optimism.

A man who relentlessly fixes what he sees wrong in the world, who is capable, treats his body well, is in his physical prime, and creates his own meaning in the otherwise uncaring cold universe that we inhabit?

lmgtfy.com/?q=goku

LESS

THAN

A

MONTH

Its all fine now

I feel like Bojack and Rick are really different honestly. R+M is so insincere all the time so it falls totally flat when they try to do stuff like that "suicide" attempt and basically anything where we're supposed to forget that Rick is a complete psychopath with no empathy and feel sorry for him.

But to answer your question, the antithesis is someone like Superman (you know what Supermans I'm talking about here so don't fucking bring up all the different exceptions to this, obviously it depends on the writer) or S1 Barry Allen. Or that guy from that super depressing anime.

Bojack is someone who honestly has had a pretty sweet life in a lot of regards but focuses on the shit parts of it. More than anything else, he is the problem in his life. He hates himself so much that being shown love alienates him.
The opposite is someone who with an inextinguishable sense of hope. Someone who looks at broken things and sees what is salvageable, what good is still there, instead of what Bojack sees; the broken parts, the things that remind him of himself.

nihilism isn't just that nothing has inherent meaning, brobro. maybe read up a little bit on it. I think you would enjoy some Jean Paul Sarte or whatever that dude's name is.

>Hero Academia is about optimism

If only user...if only

Duckman was truly ahead of it's time

I actually love this guy. I'm so used to seeing subversions and watching the paragon turn out to be a fraud/asshole that it was refreshing to see someone so idealistic and traditionally heroic.

>You're right Max. Times have changed, whether I like it or not. The campers don't care, Gwen doesn't care, even the founder of this place has better things to do. That's why I'll never stop trying... Because somebody fucking has to.

>handful of shows with these traits
>ITS EVERYWHERE, PERMEATING ANIMATION!
Yet another thread whining about Bojack, R&M, F is for Family, Morel Orel, and the like, eh OP?

>implying Bojack and Rick are good characters

Yep.

>thinking religion is some new meme
I realize it must irk you, but try to understand that not everyone comes to the same conclusions about the meaning of life and that there's room on Sup Forums for more worldviews than just nihilism.

I would bet on pessimisted washed up, fucked up aging females who tried to have it all, but ended up with nothing. Parired up with happy shotas.

It's peculiar

You always see "grumpy bitter man is softened by the innocence of a smol girl"

But you rarely get jaded chicks growing maternal for small boys

So Orel?

Here you go OP. user Delivers.

Superman

Religion as a reaction atheism is a new meme. It's just as bad as retard fedora tipping atheist who think all religious are retards.

not Sup Forums but Claymore did this

The field mentor archetype.

With how many broken homes and younger millennials/ gen z people are around looking for anything resembling a guiding figure/voice of authority, we're quite likely in for a wave of rugged individualists and scholarly father figures in animation a half-decade or so from now. Expect dozens of Uncle Irohs, Hank Hills and Soldier 76's.

I think you might be right on this one. I think our current society is a little too introspective and cynical which has lead to a lot of shows feeling the need "deconstruct" and over-analyse aspects of the world and itself through these jaded cynical characters that it has lead to a pretty unwholesome environment for a lot of people, I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of creators turned out like you predict.

i can't wait for how much Trump shit which will be shoved in this season. Fuck me

Steven universe. Eternal optimism

Everytime I see this hideous nose it freaks me out

>Rose quartz murdered Pink Diamond-
>NO, SHE WOULDN'T DO THAT!
> He's probably right

His optimism is paying off.

Optimism is really boring though. Who wants to watch a show where the main character is upbeat and happy the whole time?

I want a truly stubborn, stick-to-your-guns, way-over-your-head guy. Ultimate Pete was great at this. So much frustration and anger bottled up that the only way out, is out.

Sounds great!
As long as they're actual universal role figures and not personal walking agendas disguised as wise characters

Boku no hero MLP and many others shows you probably dislike disagree with you

>What's the antithesis of the relentlessly pessimistic, fuck up, alcoholic, ageing male trope permeating animation?
Steven Universe probably.
Believe in him who believes in you.

If you didn't want that jackass who is famous for being a jackass to be relevant you shouldn't have made him your fucking president then.

Steven gets sad, he gets angry. He just doesn't let it control him, he moves on and thinks 'alright, how can I fight this now'.

He's cheesed himself out of so many situations with that thinking alone. It helps that his powers are based off optimism mind.

We can go back to characters being paragons of justice like Superman, He Man, and GI Joe. Characters like Rick and Bojack are terrible people to look up to because they would rather run away from their problems instead of face it head on. But who in this day and age would have the boundless optimism and light necessary to craft a righteous hero in animation?

But we currently live in a society where we worship jackasses for using their powers for the greater good. It's simply madness to tear down Trump for being a jackass while propping up characters like Rick for doing the same thing.

This trend of nihilistic, self-loathing characters honestly makes me wonder where all the good men have gone. It's no help that this new generation shuns all the gods of purity, symbols of hope in dark times and fawn over broken people like Bojack and Rick. What we need is some kind of streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds, not a depressed asshole ruining not only their own lives, but the lives of those around them. Honestly though, isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed in any major form of media nowadays? Late at night, I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need.
I need a HERO
I'M HOLDING OUT FOR A HERO 'TILL THE END OF THE NIGHT

All the good men have gone to church, became pastors, or missionaries. They have no interest in going to Hollywood to spread their message because it's full of self loathing hypocrites who burned bridges with the good men.

It seems that all the shows with optimism are aimed at children and all the shows with cynicism are aimed at adults. Optimism is a childlike and immature way of viewing the world.

Space Brothers
A show where the protagonist goes from fired and blacklisted, to a potential astronaut, working his way to the moon

>the greater good
>'Yeah, the generals said I should kick trans people out the military. Which ones? The uh... the general one, you know'
>'What do you mean they were worried I was about to declare war?'
>His own bills are so poorly worded and thought out his own party is voting them down
>Can't replace an insurance initiative that was 'doomed to fail' due to trying to replace it with Thunderdome
>Has achieved fuck all apart from reducing the value of the dollar
>can't even maintain a staff without threatening to charge people under treason laws

He's been made fun of for more than 20 years for a reason. He's not a tragic 'I must sacrifice my feelings for my people's eventual gain' character, he's mentally subnormal egotists, and he's been criticised as every wrong with America before Bush Jr was elected.

>All the good men have gone to church, became pastors, or missionaries

Ohio was a mistake.

The point of characters like Rick and Bojack is that you AREN'T meant to look up to them. They're tragic messes of people, you're meant to feel sorry for them.

Has self inserting ruined story telling?

*he's a mentally subnormal egotist
*everything wrong with

Well, this is ironic.

I wonder if she had a muscle form too.

I merely pointed out that Trump became president in the first place because we as a society worship assholes and tear down good people with morals.

Both Rick and Bojack are tragic messes of people who deserve to suffer for their actions. They're both assholes who blame all of their problems on something else instead of facing them head on. If they don't want to change themselves, then why should we as the audience care that they wallow in self pity and madness over the span of multiple seasons?

Because you don't have to think a person's right to feel sorry for them, you can always hope they might change.

Boromir's a dickhead, but you can very easily feel sorry for him in LOTR yes, even in the books

As a whole only supposedly pure meritocratic societies overlook huge flaws in people if they've had reasonable success i.e. the US. If you're in a position of power, you must have earned it and you're automatically the good guy unless some very heavy evidence against that comes along. If you're not, you sure as hell don't deserve to be.

She might do. Probably used to convince All-might to take up the mantle.

>Hey lanklet, want to be the ultimate hero?
>Er, sure I guess-
>And swole as shit?
>Hell yeah!

Characters in adult animation rarely change, if they do then it's usually for the worse.

t. someone who doesn't understand nihilism, atheism or intellect.

Gotta agree here. Maybe with some shades of the classic Western drifter protagonist. I feel like that sense of freedom will be especially appealing when it feels like everyone is screaming at you to align yourself with some group or another.