Will we ever be able to have male characters dressing in drag for the purpose of humor again?

Will we ever be able to have male characters dressing in drag for the purpose of humor again?

It rarely happens these days and when it does its met with a lot of complaints for making fun of transwomen. I can see why cartoons don't use this gag anymore as so many people get offended over it but it makes me sad. When done right it can be absolutely hilarious.

>It rarely happens these days

The fuck are you on about?

>Steven Universe dressed up like a woman, put on makeup, and sung a cheesy generic tune in front of a stage.

>Marco being crossdressed is a continuously running joke.

>The AT creators genderbent all the main characters for parody purposes and everyone lapped it up.

>Gravity falls has a bodyswap episode in which dipper has to survive the horrors of a sleepover in Mabel's body

>Damn sure the cops or Stan cross dressed once, but can't remember which episode

Mel Blanc's female voice was the only bad voice he ever did. It was horrifying.Yes, I know it was supposed to be unconvincing.

>When done right it can be absolutely hilarious
Not really. After you've seen the same joke five hundred times, it gets really damn boring. I'm almost happy that it's been killed off by the trans community, purely because now writers are forced to think of more original jokes.

The others were great, but even as a fan of SU, I feel like the scene could've been done a bit better. Not sure how exactly, probably should've had a wig that looks like Sadie's hair.

Lets not forget that Gumball and Darwin have both done it several times.

The teen titans on TTG have done it a few times

I'm pretty sure they've done it on Clarence a couple times.

In all honesty I think the crossdressing gag is just as a live as ever.

The problem is there was no in-world punchline with Steven dressed as a girl. The whole thing was suppose to be funny to the audience, but the concert audience viewed it so blasé, that it just ended up being mildly cute, like a bird looking at its own reflection kind of amusing.

There's a couple of punchlines that happen with these types of jokes:
>Character dresses up like a girl and not only do people fall for it, but someone finds them hot.
>Character dresses up as the opposite sex and has "fish out of water" jokes, like a man not knowing how to put on pantyhose or make-up.
>Character dresses up as a girl and does really funny over-the-top diva or ditzy girl impressions, which is funny with the right voice actor.
>Character dresses up as the opposite sex and very clearly does not have the body type to pull it off: such as a overly muscular character trying to pull off the hot woman disguise.

The joke is not just a character wearing a dress, but the reaction to it or how they change as a character while in the dress. Steven didn't change as a person, the audience reacted to it like it was normal. I really don't know what the joke was other than, "He put on Sadie's outfit". But.... That alone isn't a joke. Unless they want me to think the mere presence of someone in drag is funny while also somehow saying it's acceptable to think it's normal?

>Will we ever be able to have male characters dressing in drag for the purpose of humor again?

No.

>Marco being crossdressed is a continuously running joke.

Wow, I really, really need to get around to finally watching S2 already.

The show co is afraid of and that shouldnt be named here did it right then

I don't watch the horse show, but I recall the Apple Brother dressing up in drag and people getting pissed and said it was controversial. Is that what you're talking about? I never actually saw the episode so I don't know if it was the fandom being whiney babies or if it was actually just a joke that fell flat, like Steven dressed as Sadie got blown out of proportion.

The minority that got pissed (Tumblr blogs mainly) did because they we're expecting the episode to be about transgenderism issues instead of comical male dressed as female that ultimatelly lead to an endearing episode about brotherhood

Well you know, those don't count because OP can't jerk off to it, user is all 'I want to see crossdressing cartoons, ha ha you know, for a laugh.

yes but only if it's female dressed as a male.

What if, and this is just me spitballing, but what if there wasn't supposed to be a deeper joke?
Did you think anyone who knew Steven would be surprised he has no qualms with wearing a skirt?

Got any examples? I personally love reverse traps/female cross-dressers.

>Mfw I've over sexualized half of those occupancies and it hit never hit me that they were purely for comedic purposes and not meant as fap fuel
Maybe I'm part of the problem.

So, there is no joke? It's just Steven wearing a dress? Is that supposed to be entertaining then?

We can't have male characters in drag at all anymore.

The joke is that Steven put on a sassy outfit and absolutely no one was surprised by it. I don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

Then it's a flat, unfunny joke. Unironically going, "Oh that (name!)" was dated back in the 80's.

"drag is blackface with women" - brianna wu

that's homophobic as shit.

>Things should be censored because it makes me uncomfortable
Not very American. Maybe they should leave the country if they're all in favor of censoring things willy-nilly. Maybe go to a place where people force them to shut the fuck up and they'll realize men in drag jokes is the least of their concerns on this planet.

Also men in drag jokes are mocking more men than they are women.

Brianna Wu is a brainlet

>that's homophobic as shit.
I dunno, I think guys would get kind of butthurt if lesbians put on shows where they wore big fake dicks and beards and did impressions of action movie stars.

Not guys who are smart or anything, just the same kind of losers who complain about misandry in the media because shows written by guys depict guys as dumb.

>I dunno, I think guys would get kind of butthurt if lesbians put on shows where they wore big fake dicks and beards and did impressions of action movie stars.
Those are the same tiny minority of idiots who get butthurt at lesbians for just existing, so I don't think its fair to equate the two.

Also its homophobic to assume that men who are into drag are gay.

>for the purpose of humor

How about for the purpose of my dick.

>>It rarely happens these days
>The fuck are you on about?

Sup Forumstard wants to make us dislike trans people.

So he claims we're living in a world where these gags were banned in order to appease trans people, all the better to suggest that trans people have super political correctness power and are preventing us from seeing what we want.

There, now we're sure to get mad at trans people!

We're not going to notice what you did—that his assertion is wrong. =)

>>I dunno, I think guys would get kind of butthurt if lesbians put on shows where they wore big fake dicks and beards and did impressions of action movie stars.

I'm a straight guy and I'd pay money to see this.

>Sup Forumstard wants to make us dislike trans people
no sane person likes trans people for anything other than sexy fan art of their favorite sexy cartoon characters, they're freaks in real life

Hahah I love how dedicated they were with it in The Dress with GumballOopsEggWobbleUnderpants.

>they're freaks in real life
Lots of people are, they make life interesting

Star dresses up as Marco in an episode

Even for Bugs Bunny.

Don't judge me.

user you have no idea on how impossible it is to do anything involving crossdressing as a joke without Tumblr ruining it. When Marco crossdressed to sneak into Princess Prison to save Star, some retards on Tumblr kept on insisting stupidly that Marco is actually Trans even when proven wrong. Hell they're still insisting that Marco is trans and use extreme mental gymnastics to claim that every scene with Marco (past, present and future) is actually a hint about him being trans.

>I think guys would get kind of butthurt if lesbians put on shows where they wore big fake dicks and beards and did impressions of action movie stars.

You thought wrong, I'd see that shit on premiere night.

>dunno, I think guys would get kind of butthurt if lesbians put on shows where they wore big fake dicks and beards and did impressions of action movie stars.
That sounds great
Grab a cucumber and one of those muscle outfits and do your best Stallone or Arnie impression

Bugs... Easy on the estrogen hormones

>Gravity falls has a bodyswap episode in which dipper has to survive the horrors of a sleepover in Mabel's body
Didn't Dipper start to act girly the longer he was at the sleepover and swapped with Mabel? I remember that he kicked his leg up like a girl and called Mabel swapped with him "Dipper".

/thread

Just let them keep at it. These people destroy themselves and each other. Eventually there won't be any people left who think and act like Wu and we can all get back to reasonable, normal, happy lives.

The main character in Cybersix
Naoto from Persona 4
Subaru from Mayo Chiki (she's supposed to be a reverse trap but the show fails hard at it and she doesn't look like a convincing guy at all.)
Those are the only reverse traps I can think of off the top of my head.

But they destroy normal people in the process.

The fact that its NOT a joke and nobody is bothered is kind of the point. Sugar's brand of being progressive is show progressive attitudes as normal in beach city, rather than to use strawmab bigots that Steven has to teach a lesson or whatever

At least, that's how the townie characters work. Home world is another matter

lesbian DO that, it's called Drag Kinging and it's hilarious.

Bump