I don't understand any of this

I don't understand any of this.
Is Sonic supposed to be crying?
Why?

He's melting, user

That's not how sonic eyebrows work fag

Of course, I get it all now.
This all goes back to the historic treaty of Sega and Nintendo where Nintendo agreed to help save their dying company at the price of gaining an Ice Golem shaped like their old mascot. The contract of course being void upon completion of a successful retro Sonic game. They tried it back with Sonic 4 but it finally stuck.

He's spitting blood

>It's good to have you back
>Sonic Generations was in 2011
>Mario Galaxy 2 was 2010
Will Sonic send Mario a letter for Odyssey?

You're gonna complain about the eyebrows before the fact that his head is as big as his body and limbs combined?

Whoa, that's Penny Arcade? I know they've gone towards a strange direction but I didn't even recognise this as PA art until I saw the url in the corner. Have they always drawn Sonic like this? Something about him just looks weird.

I can't think of too many times where they've drawn sonic

Well here he is from 5 years ago.
They don't draw Sonic a lot.

>Mario Galaxy 2 was 2010
And Super Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Super Mario 3D World totally weren't released between then and now.

Honestly it doesn't seem inconsistent with the actual proportions they're using for the character design in this game.

He's spitting on it

Fuck you Mario, I don't need your pity,
Genesis does what Nintendon't bitch face

If we're counting shit games, there were 4 Sonic Boom games released between Generations and now, as well as Lost World which is divisive among the fanbase.

>Any of those Mario games
>Shit
kys

haha, this is actually kinda funny now

Now that you mention it, that may be it. Gabe mentioned he was a Sega kid growing up

I bet you think OoT is the best Zelda game.

No, BotW

It's even funnier when you realize they confirmed Bubsy 4 earlier this year.

That's not how sonic eyes work how do you fuck that up??

no lbw

Thanks, I think I figured it out. OP's comic has a character they draw kinda rarely, he's shaded in a soft style the comic doesn't normally use, and there aren't any speech bubbles in their regular font; just a letter with a font they don't tend to use. These things combined make the comic look different compared to the usual PA style.

Still not sure about the point of the comic, though. Usually the text posts help decipher the joke, so I tried reading it. I think Sonic's supposed to be touched and crying because things are finally going nicely for him?

> 4 Sonic Boom games

You have to be shitting me

Sonics actually been thriving for the past few years. His cartoon has a following, his twitter is famous for memes, hell I even heard the last Sonic Boom game wasn't bad.

I'm sorry to have panicked you, I fucked up, there were only 3.

I dunno if his spit is blue, but his blood is.

Its the whole "SMURF" thing.
Anyone who ever made a Smurf joke ever has always said that their insides are all blue.
blue heart, blue brain, blue lungs
blue blood
blue spit
blue jizz

every time.
So I guess blue characters just are filled with blue-stained entrails and fluids according to pop culture.

I thought this had rings in it

Or was that an edit

Edit, they stopped being funny at this point

They're the most rehashed shit imaginable, not to mention the travesty that is the Paper Mario series now.

good god, it's horrible

I was joking in but I didn't realize they actually had a comic where they implied Sonic had blue blood.

>They're the most rehashed shit imaginable,
>3D Land
>Rehash
>3D World expands on everything 3D land did >adds 4 player co-op
>5 characters who play differently
>Bad

He is crying?

Seriously though fuck that shitty robot. Damn thing broke as soon as you got it out of hte box

No there are 4, but one of them is an iOS game.

>I thought this had rings in it
>Or was that an edit

And it's better than the original.

SONIC'S TEARS AREN'T BLUE

This is stupid. There were way more Genesis hits than SNES ones in that time. Of course they didn't get a sequel every 2 years, so they have been forgotten.

>BOOM!

Even better

Classic Sonic is 2.5 heads tall.
Modern is ~3.

What?

NIntencuck manchild fanboi detected, god forbid somebody imply a mario game might suck right?

he is cumming

Aren't they too old to have played the genesis as kids?

That is superior in every way.

Mario's note gave him a hard on and he's having a blue nosebleed like all good Japanese characters do

>____ is shit
>no it ain't
>how dare you talk back

Krahulik was born in '77; the Genesis hit North America in '89. He would have been 12. It would have been his entire adolescence.

4th gen was a long fucking time ago now.

>Bubsy 4
>Not knowing this'd be the 5th Bubsy game

So Sonic's tears are the stuff they use in tampon commercials?

as well as diaper commercials

Is there really a rule?
It's weird enough they're connected, I say draw them however really.

Maybe because the first truly amazing Sonic game in years that managed to actually improve upon the originals was a game that wasn't even made by the Sonic Team?

It's a bit stretching but I genuinely can't tell what the hell else this comic is meant to convoy.

Two of those were trash reheaps of them re-releasing the same game but worse.

Can't wait for Odyssey though. It's like pottery that two of vidya's most popular mascots have been stumbling to stay in relevancy with poor quality games for a handful of years, just for both of them to return to form in the same year.

>Sonic Mania is the first good Sonic game in decades
End this shitty meme. The only bad Sonic games were 06 (lack of polish and shit plot that could be decent with a few tweaks) and the storybook games. Nostalgiafags need to move on.

Apart from the fact that you're forgetting that Sonic Boom and Sonic Lost World exists and are very recent, the truth is that Sonic once he began going 3D his games were becoming mixed bags.

Not bad per say, but incredibly mixed. The Adventure series while made up a good chunk of my childhood were both filled with odd and poor gameplay decisions. Same with Sonic Hero's and Sonic Unleashed.

>implying the DS versions were bad

Its just looks lazy he couldn't draw the dreamworks face so he had to draw shitty outta place eyebrows

Have you... have you seen Sonic 4?

Yeah, I get it now

Those are all the same game user, you didn't have to write them that many times

What're you, some kind of jokester?

>storybook games
>bad

to be fair sonics arms arnt blue

SONIC CUM IS NOT BLUE

What are you implying

>Sup Forums arguments in a nutshell

Post THAT Ilya image.

Calm down Chris-chan. Don't go freaking out cause somebody doesn't draw sonic to suit you.

>The only bad Sonic games were 06 (lack of polish and shit plot that could be decent with a few tweaks)
06 was a shit idea from the start and even if it was playable it'd still be shit.

I think Heroes, Shadow, Riders, Rush, Advance, and Lost World are good games

hubba hubba
daddy like-a summa dat

Never played Rush, but I do agree with you on Advance & Heroes.

user, come on now. Every good Sonic game is suddenly the first good Sonic game in decades. We were down this road with Colors & Generations, it's no shock we're doing this again with Mania. I honestly hope Forces turns out to be great, just so someone can call it "the best Sonic game in years" too

Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Boom, Sonic Lost World, Sonic 06, Sonic Free Riders, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic And The Secret Rings, Sonic Lost World were all sub-par AT BEST

Hey, fuck you I liked Unleashed.

that's one of the most poorly drawn sonics i've ever seen

it was never really that great but man old penny arcade used to be so much funnier than it is now, what happened

>Sonic Boom, Sonic Lost World, Sonic 06
Even at its best none of these games even close to sub-par, closer to steaming pile of shit
>Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic Unleashed
Neither of those games were that bad, its mostly dipshits not liking that fact that sonic is doing something else than running

None of those count as a proper Mario headliner game.

>Sonic Unleashed
Sonic Unleashed had problems. Yeah, everyone rags on the Werehog, but it's still true that it really fucked up the pacing of the game. The night levels were a consistent slog of beat 'em ups and slow ass platforming. Those tightrope segments were annoying as fuck. And Sega admitted it was only really in there because they felt people would find the game too short without it. If each of the Werehog segments were half the length they were, it would've been a lot better.

Why not?

I would say that Sonic Mania is the first actual *great* Sonic game we've had in a long time. Every game before that, starting with Sonic going 3D with Sonic Adventure, was either good but not great, mixed, or just plain bad.

3D Land and World certainly do