Anyone else sad they didn't have Jerry excel without Beth like he did in the alternate dimension...

Anyone else sad they didn't have Jerry excel without Beth like he did in the alternate dimension? I think it would have been a lot funnier to see him successful while Beth's life falls apart.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FUtyzQ09jSI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>A bunch of women wanting to see a recently divorced man succeed.

Things that will never happen

kek this
>female writers

I think it's because Harmon is self-inserting himself after his divorce and feels really pathetic about it.

Harmon had a divorce?
It was recent, I'm assuming?

That one dimension Jerry had 17 years to do well.

Wow, SEXIST much?

I figured he would immediately go for acting auditions and would get lucky and make it big. It wouldn't be too unbelievable either because of that alternate dimension.

I'm pretty sure it happened right before development of season 3 too.

>yfw they remake Cloud Atlas with Jerry

Beth is a fucking cunt dude.

Jerry is (and has been) the most likeable character on the show. Maybe not the funniest, but definitely the most likeable.

Isn't Jerry in between jobs after the Galactic Federation fell?

There seems to be a major disconnect between the way fans see Jerry and the way the writers see him.

>17 years to make connections

This. Single men cannot succeed in fiction anymore, because that's sexist in tumblr's eyes.

I think Jerry's just processing shit. No one is immediately going to bounce back right after a marriage dissolves. He was happy and successful in the movie star timeline because he was never reeling from divorce.

Come on, it's only been what, a month or two since the divorce? Of course Jerry is going to be a wreck for awhile. He has no job, he still clearly cares about his family and wants to be with them, and we know that Jerry is a pretty emotional guy.

Episode 5 of this season proved that Jerry can grow as a person, he was willing to walk away from the family to avoid making them feel sorry for him, he got over his anger towards Rick when he saved his life on the roller coaster, and then he saves Rick's life AGAIN even though Rick shat on him in a variety of ways.

Jerry can very well still succeed, he's one of the few characters this season on anything even resembling a positive climb. Calm your tits.

What? The main focus of episode 5 seemed to be to make him seem as pathetic as humanly possible..

don't a lot of women like Bojack Horseman?

The point was to show Morty becoming more like Rick as both of their parents fell deeper into being awful messes of humanity. But the episode is also clear that Jerry still has an out in his life, that he still has, always has had, the potential to be not awful.

>unironically replying to Sup Forumsposting
Get off Sup Forums.

Jerry is made fun of, that's always been part of his character, but he's also still just a cowardly guy put in situations he doesn't understand, and for that, the episode actually puffs him up a decent amount. Him defending Rick towards the end and doing the best he could (biting the the hand of the ayy lmao) proves that.

The only men who are allowed to be successful under female writers are chads and sociopaths.

It kind of felt like the start of a redemption arc to me.
Meanwhile, don't forget that Beth has ben shat upon in 3 episodes this season

I'm pretty sure it's meant to show that Jerry is moving towards becoming a better, stronger person and that he's at least partially mended his relationship with Rick.

Nah, Jerry in Episode 5 is what happens when you put a normal person in a strange alien world. Not everyone is jaded and detached enough like Rick to just roll with the strangeness.

the ending showed that he wont do his signature move of getting things out of pity. I expect he does better next episode

>Beth has ben shat upon in 3 episodes this season
When it comes to Rick yea, she's desperate and fucked in the head, but when it comes to Jerry, she's muh stronk womyn who don't need no Jerry.

>When it comes to Rick yea
And how her children suffer for it

>but when it comes to Jerry, she's muh stronk womyn who don't need no Jerry.
Well, she really doesn't. She has a career while Jerry has nothing going for him.
Yet you can clearly see the divorce is affecting her. The whole family is becoming dysfunctional, and so is she. She starts glueing horse hoofds together and shit like that and had a better time talking to robots than to her actual kids

>had a better time talking to robots than to her actual kids

Wow, I hadn't thought about that. She really is coming apart at the seams, emotionally and mentally.

>Shows Morty becoming ever more fucked up without a somewhat normal and pathetic person in his life as a reference point
>Summer tries to enlarge her tits and ends up getting turned inside out because no one was around to give her token encouragement
>Beth keeps becoming more spiteful and passive aggressive towards Rick to the point of turning her own daughter inside out to avoid having to call him for help
The episode felt like it was making the point that they do need the spineless wimp as the backbone of their shitty family.

Pretty much spot on.
Hell, by far most of the problems in Beth and Jerry's marriage were caused by Rick

yep.
at his worst, jerry is a coward. Compared to the worst of everyone else on his family,hes a fucking saint.
i hope the female writers realize this

At his worst, Jerry is a stubborn moron who fucks up and then refuses to take accountability for his fuck ups. He's a coward who sometimes tries hard for his family, but he's also absolutely a jerk.

I blame Harmon. Jerry is his self insert, and will do what he can to make Jerry unlikable and useless just so he can feel better about himself.

Agreed. Since season 2 the writers have been trying hard to make Jerry unlikeable, and I think it's because they made him more likeable than anyone else by just being a normal but cowardly guy that would step up when needed. But then they realized that they can't suck Rick's dick as hard, so they went all out to make Jerry look bad.

I miss when the show was just zaniness and whatever Roiland thought of, Channel 101 style.

>THIS THIS THIS XD
I want summer to end already.

I hated how the episode didn't treat it that way. Also Rick's speech was stupid, since he ditched Beth yet acts like Jerry took her from him. Jerry at least stays in his kids' lives as best he can.

Summer never ends, because its in your mind

I'm sure Jerry would have called Rick out on that shit if he wasn't being eaten.

She sure is

>wanted to read a discussion on the show
>thread is just people repeatedly saying female writers
Kill yourselves and make the world a little bit more bearable that way.

This.
Alternate Dimension Jerry was successful on his own. Jerry is damaged goods.

This

yes,but a jerk is better than a monster. The worst things he has done are human. The worst things everyone else has done is completely mounstrous.
Her family has ruined the life of a bunch of species. Jerry made some people in pluto mad.

pretty much, the writing has been shit from the beginning but now jerry is fucked
I mean holy shit fans of the show actually watch this fucking clip and hate jerry and laugh with summer, identifying with him
youtube.com/watch?v=FUtyzQ09jSI
It's like they took the most concentrated form of millennial narcissism, added as much lack of self awareness as possible, and made it a show

>"You're holding me verbally hostage"

iirc it happened right before Harmon-quest

Wasn't his wife the barbarian?

I guess that explains why he went gay for one of the guest characters

A divorce needs time to recover from. Especially if it's the woman that puts it on the man. Double so when the man is as spineless as Jerry. The Whirly Dirly episode may be his road to finding success, but feeling sorry for yourself and wallowing in self pity for a week or so after a divorce is common.

But Jerry has never been successful. Why would losing his family suddenly make him more capable?

And Jerry is like the anti-Rick. If he wasn't useless there'd be less animosity between them and make the character dynamic less entertaining.

>Make Jerry your self insert
>Go out of your way to make him as pathetic as possible
>People start sympathizing with him because he's the only normal decent man in the show
>Go out your way to make people hate him, even if it's out of character
>It's still your self insert

How does one man be this much of a cuck

I want to know how the hell his apartment works.

I hope someone got fired over that one.

You forget the context though. Jerry is unemployed during that scene and fishing for money from his daughter anyway.

what's the view from outside?

It's not likely to be done, but it's not architecturally impossible.

>Rick murders universes on the regular without even having a god reason
>Jerry is a pushover and kind of manipulative, but still fairly decent
>Rick gets everything he wants when he wants it no matter how absurd, Jerry is repeatedly shat on
this doesn't seem to be a feel good show

WHAT ARE WE SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE? THAT THIS IS SOME KIND OF MAGIC XYLOPHONE?

The last apartment in the row would make this possible.

It's easier for Rick to blame Jerry than to acknowledge he fucked up with his daughter.

Cant wait for her to get blacked in the show that'll really show jerry
>you see morty blurgh white women were made burp for black cock

So Morty will be like his Grandfather on his father's side with Jessica

Everyone in the Smith family is a terrible person.

This isn't just the writers shitting on Jerry. Rick's gotten a lot of shit the past few episodes with nobody taking his side anymore, quite a few instances of characters calling him out on his bullshit, and multiple near-deaths. Beth and Summer have had the same thing. Morty of all people is the heart and backbone of the family, and he's a jaded bitter kid with murderous tendencies that sometimes pees himself.

The only reason Jerry comes off as more sympathetic than the rest is because he's the only character besides Morty who acknowledges how much of a problem Rick is, but that doesn't mean he's not a problem himself.

well shoot

So in other words, they took the Family Guy episode where Meg learned she had to be the one the family shat on otherwise they'd fall apart but switched out Jerry for Meg.

>why hasn't jerry bounced back and started a successful acting career one month after his divorce?
Right now you still have absolutely no idea what direction they will take the characters.

This. Lots of shitty wayhouses like that have a weird square U shape. If Jerry's apartment was on one of the inside bends it would fit perfectly.

Exactly everything comes full circle the writers are hacks life is shit and i got the barrel of a 12 gauge shotgun under my chin
>sweet release

Yeah that's how it was supposed to be, like in Drake and Josh.
Then the women nation attacked.

I know where Theyre gonna take it, straight to the trash bin

If he excels then so does beth. That alt dimension they were both "successful" but unfulfilled emotionally. It's be weird that he would excel alone and not also her.

It'd be interesting to see them both make attempts at the goals they have that they've blamed each other for not reaching. Beth trying to go back to school and become some human neuro surgeon. Jerry joining improv and trying to get into acting or whatever. They get some kinda success at it maybe. Realize love is important and yadda yadda. Maybe Rick gets involved trying to convince beth not to go back to him but she gives some speech about no longer wanting to be like him, wanting to have love in her life or some such shit. Empathy isn't weakness like rick likes to act or some such shit.

Still funny to me that Sup Forums and reddit like jerry so much despite him just being a male peggy hill.

wow sick burn try writing a plot instead of plot holes amirite

The entire divorce subplot is retarded and part of the reason this season has sucked so far.

If Beth has primary custody then she would have a very full schedule without jerry helping with the chores.

I could see success for her at the expense of morty and summer.

Why? Can no one relate to the problems that come with a divorce? Do people not want to see tv families deal with their issues?

Its boring and preachy as fuck. They had an interesting over-arching plot set up from the get go this season, and they decided to solve it all in one episode and make the whole rest of the season about divorce shit. Women writers do ruin everything.

The writers were completely exchanged. Whatever plot the old writers had for Jerry, they can't act up to it, because they were fired and will never return.
So far it doesn't seem like the new writers were smart enough to catch the drift about where their predecessor were going with him.

>Jerry excel without Beth
Wrong. Jerry excels without Rick. Problem is, Rick needs Jerry to create Morty. Jerry can do well with Beth and Summer, as he keeps killing Mantes and Cronenbergs like a motherfucker.

She barely has to watch the kids even when her and jerry were together. Rick takes them out for adventures and shit. Hell recent episode is the most direct parenting she does what with talking to her daughter. Otherwise both are teens and you don't have to be on their ass like small children. A lot of parents, once their kids are in their teens, feel they can go back to school.

And actual chores like cooking and cleaning jerry was never shown doing. For all we know rick has some robot doing that shit. Jerry was kinda just a bum laying around the house after he lost his job.

Damn right son and kill all niggers too

None of us are middle age divorced fags we're young goys

arnold rimmer?

I thought he lived in a motel? Like the seedy pay by the week ones

I really disliked the whole "Jerry made Beth feel bad for him in order to get with her" thing because it completely demolishes what was established in the previous seasons, he was pathetic but when push comes to shove he could go far. Whenever their marriage seemed to be stable it was thanks for Jerry's efforts and never Beth's
>He being a Cronenberg apocalypse badass
>The deer surgery
>Couples counseling(Ok, Beth did help, but it was mostly Jerry, they would both die if she didn't anyway)
>Even in another reality it was Jerry the one who looked for Beth
He's also the only one with a spine to stand up to Rick who's clearly fucking up the family

I'm going to trigger some Sup Forumsmblrs here but really
>Original writers are replaced with a bunch of who's
>Show goes to shit
What could be the problem here guys? Now Rick can solve anything with ease and he's always right so the writers use him to vessel their own opinions. In the previous ones he was really smart but not Deus Ex Machina like he is now and would struggle sometimes
Also the "You gave my sister body image issues" scene

>Still funny to me that Sup Forums and reddit like jerry so much despite him just being a male peggy hill.
It's probably because despite being an egomaniac Peggy rarely gets her comeuppance and is overall successful whereas Jerry still has an ego issue but he's no where near successful and even when he makes attempt to be even a little better the universe shits on him.

While I agree with you on all points, I feel I should point out this episode was written by Ryan Ridley who's been on the show since season 1. Hell, he even wrote Meeseeks and Destroy. You think he'd have a better grasp of the characters but I guess he could be phoning it in at this point.

I think the show has hit a point of popularity where they could have an episode with Rick taking a shit in slow motion, with some speech tacked on at the end and it would hailed as the greatest episode ever.

>I really disliked the whole "Jerry made Beth feel bad for him in order to get with her" thing because it completely demolishes what was established in the previous seasons, he was pathetic but when push comes to shove he could go far.
That was just Rick's take on the situation. We know he has a rather tainted view their marriage.

Some people said that they just rotate writers to credit at the end and the actual plot is written by the team in the same room

>>Original writers are replaced with a bunch of who's
>>Show goes to shit
Ryan Ridley wrote this episode my man.

Runner was always an unlikeable slime ball. The fact that the writers relish in it is what makes him so great. It creates a character so awful that you can't help but love him. It makes the times he actually saves the day or does something right even better.

I'm still mad that they cut out the follow-up to series 6 where Rimmer saves the crew and recorrects time.
Also it's why "The Beginning" is one of the best episodes.

This episode was the episode that starts Jerry down the path towards being better

Beth was obviously the more toxic force behind the relationship as proven in these last few episodes. With her out of his Life, Jerry has more room to thrive as an individual, and move not technically beyond the persona of a weakling, but to not solely rely on it as his means of moving forward.

But i'm pretty sure by the end of this season Jerry will be at a very good place in his life and that is when Beth will probably crawl back to him after Rick goes to far or Morty bitches her out one more time for sucking rick's dick too much.

Can't decide if it would be funnier for Jerry to reject Beth or for him to crawl back and live under even worse conditions than before he left.

>t. Jerries

well like Rick said Jerry isn't prey he's a predator. Alt Jerry shows that when push comes to shove (or if Ricks not around) he can become a badass. "our" Jerry has never had to though so he falls back on what he knows-being pathetic to illicit pity sex

It's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

He has to work with the other writers, and build on their stories.

But at least he understood that THERAPY is boring and giant inverted flesh giants are much more Rick and Morty.

shitty inner city apartments in a high rise shape, resemble motels. Wouldn't be surprised if motels that go out of business/get shut down get bought cheap and turned into apartments

Okay, all of this is just my guesswork but hear me out.

Beth and Jerry have been in a relationship since prom in high school. Summer is 17 so they've been together for let's say 18 years (17 plus nine months pregnancy plus a few months in high school for them to be in a relationship to go to prom together)
Now remember that episode where they went for marriage counseling? They were co-dependent on each other. Which is a very fucked up yet very hard relationship to break away from. They've been in that relationship for almost two decades and it started before they were even legal adults. Nobody even really starts knowing who they are until they're 18-21ish. So you don't even really know who you are, get in a relationship/start a family with someone in the same boat as not knowing who they are/spend more time together than you were alive before you met them. That's bound to give you issues there.

From Beth's point of view: she's already got her own drinking problems/daddy issues in the first place. Usually women with larger than life know it all dads who they idolize end up with Jerry types because they can be manipulated and made to make the Beth types feel needed and important which they lacked feeling in childhood. Also Beth was left with two kids who clearly don't need her that much and are kind of assholes themselves so she's losing it because everything she'd built to get as close to being needed/"happiness" as she could bring herself is crumbling which whether or not she realizes it, is caused by the man she idolizes and has given her the majority of these issues (genetically or environmentally) in the first place.

Read But yeah, I didn't like the other ones except the first. I forgot everything about Mad Max, I had seen all the good parts of Pickle Rick on trailers and previews before seeing the actual episode and Vindicators relied too much on gore and "Ants kills Train, tries to protect Rick and Morty(why kill Morty?) and is killed by Supernova" was too forced

He openly stated he was miserable and intentionally torpedoed his career in that universe, he was not happy.

Also how in the hell can someone call a guy who was willing to let a home invader do whatever he wanted to his kids just so he wouldn't hurt him, likable?

He's still hung up on his family. Once he moves on, he'll do well.