The Oscars will be SHIT for animation this year

>Mediocre selection of mainstream features
>Foreign and indie films will likely get fucked due to changes in voting rules

cartoonbrew.com/awards/2018-animated-feature-oscar-contenders-wide-open-race-153048.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IFujS0DyRcM
youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g
cartoonbrew.com/awards/oscar-rules-change-impact-indie-foreign-films-best-animated-feature-race-150099.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>current year
>carrying about the Oscars

They threw Best Picture at Moonlight just so people would stop calling them racist. I hope ratings keep plummeting.

Seth MacFarlane should host again

>best Disney feature

It's going to go to Coco.

And it looks like shit even by Pixar standards

youtube.com/watch?v=IFujS0DyRcM

Moonlight was the best of a bad batch of films, there really wasn't much competition

Every year people complain about the animation oscars.

Ever year we have to remind people that the voters don't care so it doesn't matter.

Stop caring.

This.

Nothing is going to change anytime soon.

you mean, in like next 10 years?

>caring about the Disney/Pixar award

Watch as Loving Vincent gets locked out. It's the one animated film that actually deserves it.

>Contenders for best animated movie Oscar
Despicable Meme 3
Coco
A foreign movie
Cars 3?
Boss Baby?

Holy fuck this year has been awful

it's KINO. kids dont watch KINO.

>work your ass to be a great animator
>come up with new ways of creating the medium
>get shitty pay because of unspoken agreement between companies to keep your wage low
>only the big guns are rewarded because they're popular

why are people even working in this industry?

>The Oscars will be SHIT for animation this year
You say that as if they weren't shit for animation every year.

Prior to the voting change, the noms could very well have been

>The Big Bad Fox (and other Tales)
>The Breadwinner
>In This Corner of the World
>Loving Vincent
>Mary and the Witch's Flower

But now it's gonna be

>Cars 3
>Coco
>Despicable Me 3
>The Emoji Movie
>The LEGO Batman Movie

Fuck everything, fuck the Academy for making THIS the year to change everything up

>Oscars will be SHIT

/thread

>Winner Best Animated Feature 2017: Boss Baby

NO fuck you, I care about what I like, and I'll keep raging on because it's mistreated

>voting rules got changed

Did they change it so that the jackasses voting have to actually WATCH the movies they vote on?

Most of them dont even watch half the movies, and just vote with whatevers the most popular/what they got paid to vote for.

>tfw they literally changed the rules to give a chance to their shit movies
goddamn why does the Oscars always piss me off so much

If they're going to allow normie shit in that category then they should also have Logan, WW, GOTG2 and Spider-Meme for Best Picture.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gk6jsoXPz-g

>If Disney didn't blow their load early, releasing two of their best modern movies in 2016 they could have easily swept the animation awards this year

imagine if they polished zoot, and make it a winter release, give it proper marketing and merchandise.

2017 would be a year of a thicc brown princess.

instead we got two movies crammed in one year, one of them completely spoiling how the movies are made, leaving a bad aftertaste.

>two of their best modern movies in 2016

What is LaLa Land?

>Emoji Movie
>ever being nominated

Even the Oscars aren't that dumb

it was the best film of what was nominated

Fences, LalaLand, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell of high water were all better than moonlight.

I want the best animated film to go to the MLP movie so I can shitpost about it.

Yes?

>aw gee it’s another movie about white people reinventing jazz
Off yourself

*smacks lips*
*blows into saxophone*

yeah, we should give the award to the mediocre oscar bait movie that no one heard of and ins't entertaining. because it is about a poor gay black man having problems growing up in a city known for being ethnically diverse and cool with the gays.

>still caring about the Oscars and the Best Animated Feature category after the debacle that is Kimi No Na Wa/Your Name getting snubbed of a Best Animated Feature nomination

you goddamn right, I'm still mad

>The Oscars will be SHIT for animation this year

It's always shit. I'm not sure why you still care about the Oscars to begin with.

>Thinking Kimi No Na Wa/Your Name was better than Zootopia

>giving a shit about the Oscars, especially for animation
Remember Brave?

>even the creators were surprised they won.

this is some cruel joke.

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but this could actually benefit non-mainstream cartoons:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting nominated for an Oscar makes you a member of the Academy, right? Look how many times Disney/Pixar have been nominated and awarded. The animation branch of the academy is overrepresented by the Walt Disney company! No wonder we got both Moana and Zoo this year in that category.

By letting other people not employed by Disney decide the nominees (directors, screenwriters, foreign filmmakers...), we might actually get more diverse animated films nominated by pushing Disney out of competition; no more Disney/Pixar bias when it's time to vote!

aimated films that should have won.
>the wind rises
>the red turtle
>kubo and the two strings
>song of the sea
>the tale of princess kaguya
>when marnie was there

>implying muh racism animated film is better than a visual marvel about a love story that stands the test of time in inventive ways

how did it beat frankenweenie, para norman, and even wreck it ralph?

marisa tomei won an Oscar for my cousin vinney.. they're a scam. why anyone still cares is baffling.

>big hero shit beating out princess kaguya

GET FUCKED!

>half are animus, and another is Japanese co-produced

Get off Sup Forums weeb

Disney paid them. I also find it hilarious how animation is separate from live action, like they can't accept the two intermingling. it's like putting kids a a separate table for thanksgiving. doesn't make any sense.

Even for anime, Your Name's core plot was trite. The things it had going for it was its rendering and the plot twists, but once you get past those, its just another "boy meets girl" deal that you could watch done better in too many other anime.

If any anime film deserved to win it would be the ones mentioned here

Reminder that this was nominated alongside Incredibles and Shrek 2.

>not thinking smart and fun animated film is better than generic high school animu

zootopia won rightfully it was about muh raisin

kubo was good but not that great

generic mass produced 3d cgi trash movies for kids. vs. finely crafted cell animation with good stories.

they're a bunch of old ass men who think kids don't have a brain until they reach 18 years. OFC they behave like animation it's some kids stuff

As opposed to literally any other year?

>Weebshit

>muh 2-D is bitter than 3Doo

God, this argument is annoying.

MLP movie will save animation and win the oscar. It will revitalize 2D animation in theaters and start a second golden age. Just not in this timeline

Kubo was shit outside of muh stop motion effects. This board overrates it so much

>Just not in this timeline
Fuck... it would finish drive Barneyfag to finally kill himself.

Half-hazard cookie cutter designed sloppy cel animation that mostly appeals only to niche nerds vs beautifully modeled, finely crafted and animated films appreciated by audiences of all shapes and sizes

See, I can make one sound better than the other too. It's not an argument though.

>Caring about award shows

is this the 90s

Frozen is such garbage.

Reading these makes me legitimately angry

It's quite an accomplishment that this movie got noticed by the academy, considering they usually see animation as kids' shit.

It probably won out the nominations, but when it came to the actual awards it boiled down to something like this

from what i've read. the animated movie winner is what ever is popular with the judges' kids/grand kids.

Why don't you clean your room Mom?

What about the animation that is fluid as fuck and the visuals?

Story still matters, mate.

I am Mexican and this movie offends me, our real rich culture is basically soccer and reggaeton.

don't forget Narcos

And Our Lady of Guadalupe.

How will Sup Forums and Sup Forums react if/when My Little Pony: The Movie gets nominated?

How will this whole site react if this movie gets an Academy Ward?

You'd think the butthurt would be lessened by time, but the more autistic parties will freak the fuck out like they always have.

>Lego movies getting nominated for Best Animated Picture
You wish.

Fucking hacksaw ridge?

Both are good movies. Moonlight is more about character's development than LaLa Land and the Oscard academy likes that kind of thing.
None are undeserving of getting the oscar.

People shouldn't care about the Oscar, period.
The opinion of a jury who's not forced to watch every competitors before making a decision is worthless.

Another Hollywood jerking off section?

>Bad batch of films
What the fuck are you on about user, last year outside of hidden figures and lion was the best group of best picture nominees in years.

I've seen In This Corner of the World. It was fucking beautiful, but it's not going to win because of a bunch of racist old assholes at the Oscars.

>there wasn't much competition

>what is Arrival
>what is Hell or High Water
>what is La La Land
>what is Manchester by the Sea

Yeah, total fucking bullshit right there.

That and Up not winning Best Picture

I don't get how Moonlight was a good character development movie.

The main character is basically the same as he was at the beginning, except he's swole and gay

From what I've heard Funimation didn't know how to run a campaign so it may not have even been seen by the judges. And there's no way it would have won anyway. And it's not like the awards mean anything anyway.

Nobody would ever say these things if they weren't evaluating animation movies with special Disney-derived standards.

Plotfags and originalityfags are the worst and understand nothing about cinema.

There's nothing generic about it, and high school is not a genre or plot, it's a setting. It's not even about high school specifically.

Japanese movie. By definition it can't be weeaboo.

Ghibli movies are the most mainstream anime there is.

Reminder that Kubo and the two strings, The Wind Rises, and ParaNorman all lost to B-tier Disney movies

>Hacksaw Ridge
O I am laffin

First half was schmaltzy shit, but the second half was classic Melly Gibs

I'm sort of glad events like e3 can get move views/money than the oscars.

I wonder if people in the animation industry find Amid as insufferable as I do.

cartoonbrew.com/awards/oscar-rules-change-impact-indie-foreign-films-best-animated-feature-race-150099.html

Could the hacker known as Sup Forums print a list of the entire ASCAP membership and where their children go to school

I'm fine with Zootopia winning, but Kimi no na wa should've gotten the nom.

Lego Movie not getting nominated the year before was the most infuriating bullshit.

If animation was treated the same as live action, a movie like Zootopia would never win. People just have a whole different set of standards for animation. Animation has never been approached as real filmmaking in the US.

Movies like Your Name should just be competing in the best foreign film category instead.

There was a time when Beauty & the Beast was pushed so hard to be nominated for Best Picture by one judge.

>The Oscars will be SHIT

Fixed that for you. There were like three good movies this year? Four?

and everybody in the Academy threw a bitch fit that it was nominated

Animated films in 2017:

Wolfwalkers
The Breadwinner
Coco
Mary and the Witch's Child
Despicable Me 3
Loving Vincent
Captain Underpants
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl
The Lego Batman Movie

Animated movies from 2016 that could be nominated in 2017 because they'll get an English release and/or simply weren't nominated last year:

In This Corner of the World
Ballerina
A Silent Voice
Your Name
The Girl Without Hands
Another Day of Life

The actual nominees will be shit though.

People shouldn't care about ANY award ceremony, really. They all end up being popularity contests or agenda-pushing contests.

We certainly shouldn't give a shit about one that mixes in commercial with art and has now changed the rules to negate most art.

Haven't seen it but my mom hated it so much she's convinced it was some kind of practical joke. She's ranted at length about it multiple times.
It's pretty funny. I think she appreciated Moonlight more