/hyw/ - How's Your Webcomic? #400

400 Edition

Welcome to How's Your Webcomic! 400 threads (from the ones we know) of progress, happiness, friendship and rage. So many good stories. Come here to share your own with us!

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
foxandcatadventures-ooc.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

We are running our 4th hyw challenge!

>THEME: Magic
>GENRE: (choose one to play around alongside the theme!)
-Lava
-Urban Fantasy
-Inventors
>DEADLINE: August 31

Remember that you can play with the theme as you see fit, we want to see how creative you can get!

Not a bad idea, I will see how I manage

Thread 400 is a good time to jump in I guess since I'm just starting out. I'm like 2 pages into my comic but now I need to actually design some of the locations so here's an apartment floor plan.

Does this look like a sensible apartment? I could just copy the layout of the apartment I used to live in but I want to try and be original. The big door at the back is a balcony.

I wouldn't really worry about an apartment being "original" unless you have an idea of it having secret doors or something like that. Or something that is relevant to the plot like a macguffin room of sorts. I don't think the apartment looks bad but don't be afraid of copying layouts like the one from your previous apartment.

i've seen a lot of apartment layouts and that sure is one.
I can tell you that copying the apartment you lived in is smarter because you won't have to check the floorplan constantly, it'll be in your memory. and nobody is going to recognize that you "Weren't being original" because nobody knows where you lived.

in any case it's good you're planning! wish I'd done that.

>400 threads

We did it hyw, we saved Sup Forums!

>>GENRE: Lava
?

Nobody is gonna know if you copied your own place. Don't be original for the sake of originality.

If story reasons require it to look a specific way, though, consider making a 3D model and walking through it. Pretend you're living there and try to get to different rooms quickly. Like, immediately there are a few choices on your floorplan that feel strange to me. Why is the door to the bedrooms at the end of a hallway, when you could make each room slightly larger and put the door in a more accessible spot? Why is the couch and television positioned in a way that blocks movement to the bathroom, both bedrooms, AND kitchenette?

There's not even a good place to move the TV setup to make the bedroom hallway more accessible. If you push the couch back closer to the balcony, then the television table is gonna block the bathroom door. If you pull it away from the balcony, you'll block the front door. Anyone who lives in this apartment would have a miserable time positioning their stuff and getting around.

But I dunno, it could be funny if the characters acknowledge that.

Genre is a placeholder name at this point, it just means the second thing to combine with the theme

T'es français?

foxandcatadventures-ooc.tumblr.com/

Come on, /hyw/! Send me some interesting asks!
I enjoy coming up with things and I might even learn to draw better in the process.

Meh. That's not a good question. It's obvious I based the characters appearance on that design almost entirely because I had been drawing Pusheen reaction images for months. I wanted to tell a story so I just went with the designs and began telling a story.

The tiny hallway is actually kinda based on my own house, though that leads to a bathroom and a bedroom and not two bedrooms. This was just a quick sketch without much mind to the actual proportions of objects, it should be better spaced when I actually draw it, I do have Sketchup on my other computer so maybe I could try that though I was never that skiled at using it. Maybe I could move the counter to the other side of the wall so the kitchenette is accessible from the front door.

Uhhh French Canadian yeah if that's what you're asking though I mostly speak english. Did I accidentally make some very telling French decor?

the filename haha

Is there a type of story with a type of main character that would be a guaranteed succees? Even if it means going for furry shit?

You know, the kind of ''degrading yourself, nobody can find about me drawing this kind of shit'' but still succesful

Make it about the struggles of a queer character.

Oh that's just because the character is named Mona and I have an obsession with portmanteaus in filenames

well then, that was a close one.
As for the appartment, it's quite practical, but the corridor feels superflu and a wast of space on such an appartment

A good comic

About an hour or so, albiet with procrastination.
I've been reusing backgrounds so its fairly lazy.

Also, I need to draw a crashed orbital observation post and I should really have planned this out in advance

something that can fit vaguely into here

Jesus man, are you unironically using MS Paint?
Stilling looking fairly decent given the circumstances - I like that the designs look somewhat realistic, you don't have that often with scifi comics.

I sent you two already, I don't wanna hog it all

Those suckers are gorgeous

I like it.

DON'T YOU DARE TO INSULT THE MIGHT PAINT PROGRAM

It's alright. Thank you for those two!

I added some details as an excuse to repost snek.
Probably the first monster desing I'm completely happy with, although it took a lot of planning.

How do you guys handle action scenes that span several pages without any dialogue? I feel like if I were to do that it'd end up boring.

I have to admit I almost always skipped those when I read something.

I do too, that's why I'm asking.

>My birthday is tommorrow/today and I thought the happy birthday hat was to celebrate me...

If you skip them as well then why do you want to draw them? Just for the challenge to make them interesting?

I'd like to know how to make them interesting, yes. It's why I'm asking. There are fight scenes with monsters who can't exactly talk back in my comic, and I'd like to know if I'm making a mistake by doing this before I actually start churning out the pages.

The dread gazebo

kudos for getting the eye placement right. even I rarely do that with sneks

just make every page end on a high note. a solid impact, a new move, an error,

Happy Birthday, user. I hope you enjoy your day!

Thank you

Magic lava girls make for the coolest waifus.

Could just call it theme 1 and theme 2.

Just like you would anything. Tell a story with pictures.

Ever read the Silent Interlude issue of Marvel's GI Joe? It's one of the best.

I animate them.

It's not actually that hard for fighting. You're shifting between a bunch of concrete extreme poses with maybe a frame of lead-in and lead-out, and you'd be drawing those poses anyway.

Failing (or complementing) that, just make it stand out. Don't "swing sword at wolves and do damage". Have the protagonist punch his fist down the wolf's mouth and beat the shit out of its stomach, which I was told recently is actually how you're supposed to fight them. Make everything a grotesque and creative execution.

I have a blind, mutant, cheerful, crazy cuckoo lander, sphinx character and I need some cult inducing power for her. Any suggestions?

your question just utterly destroyed me fuck you.

what do you mean cult-inducing? You mean a power that a lot of people find worthy of worship? If it's anything that can kill people, that's one. if it's some element that's vital for life like rain or whatever, that's another.
Blindness kind of goes with clairvoyance traditionally

>Jesus man, are you unironically using MS Paint?
No. SAI has a "binary tool" that doesn't anti-alias brush strokes, leaving them a bit pixellated.
I quite like it; it gives it a nice sort of crisp texture and makes it a lot easier to fill and edit with select tools

I think it's time we blow this scene. get everybody and the stuff together ok 3....2....1 lets jam

How long does it take to get in decent shape? I have a plot point where inexperienced people go through some hasty training for a upcoming battle and I wonder how fast is too fast

>Get annoyed when character names are obvious puns/foreshadowing/references
>Only names I can think up for my characters are puns
>Hate when fantasy stories with dozens of unique races use a boring normal human as the main character
>Decide that a boring human anthropologist would make the best protagonist for my latest idea
How do I stop being such a hypocrite?

I would look into statistics on boot camp
Sounds to me like you just didn't understand something until you saw the other side of it
besides the idea of an intentionally boring human who studies humans in a setting where humans are the most boring race.. is approprilarious

>Not making a Johnathan Joestar rip-off

It's hard to be a werewolf. You transform every full moon no matter what, fleas and ticks love your fur, you become alergic to silver, and the furries find you attractive. Sadly you are terrified of mascot suits since that fatidical day at Fantasyland.

i mean none of us react well to silver if we're in really constant contact with it.. at best, it starts to smell like garlic.

> it starts to smell like garlic
So that's why silver is also a good metal against vampires?

Congrats to all the artists that come here. I'm usually pleasantly surprised.

>Cult inducing power

She can restore memories with perfect clarity.

Can't quite remember how Grandma looked like before she passed on? No problem. Want to remember the last time you saw your child with perfect clarity? No problem.

Conflict comes from people wondering if she actually restores memories or if she just implants whatever thoughts she wants into a person's mind.

....If you don't use this idea I might actually.
Vampires/Ghosts/Werewolves were conflated quite often in ancient stories. Ancient storytellers were far less autistic about the "rules" for supernatural beings.

Note: writing at least an hour a day keeps the good mood at bay

>Full moon

It used to be just "When the Autumn moon is bright". Which made poor Larry Talbot's life suck.

I think Larry might have been one of the first immortal character trying to kill themselves in all of fiction.

Also I would totally love a horror story about werewolves trying to survive against a furry werewolf hunter with a nightmarish fursuit made of actual werewolves.

meant "bad mood"

hmm, but to get garlic smell off your hands, you use iron.. which harms fairies..

okay that is the best power ever
>conflated
yeah agreed. in my book vampires and werewolves are just normal animals no stranger than centaurs or griffins, but oberon's children can disguise themselves as anything. They're also randy as fuck, infamous for fucking everything in sight, so you never know who or what might have a little god or nymph or elf or whatnot in their bloodline.

My half-wolf werewolf only changes on full moons (her time of the month) but the 3/4ths wolf types change at every moon or anything circular with a high albedo reflecting sunlight. Concentration would surely count.

This post made me think of a serious question.

Guys, what do you usually skip reading comics? I need a flood of answers, please! It would be an important statistics for us.

I do tend to skip action scenes. I skip big detailed establishing shots. I often skip dialogues, when I got the idea what is dialogue about.

Well guys, I'm finally inking the pages. The first page of the new chapter is finished. What do you guys think?

i hope it's readable.

backgrounds. I never notice them. Also subtle things characters' hands are doing if there's no close-up on hands

Is there a wolf-couch crossbreed, comforting some crying wolf?

readable but not the ideal font

that font is made after my handwriting :/

>wolf-couch crossbreed
my fucking sides, I didn't notice
The individual letters are fine but the slanting and kerning seem off. I'll let our resident font-quibbler give you better feedback, because I don't know from fonts. I love me some comic sans, my taste is negate

>I love me some comic sans, my taste is negate
There's nothing wrong with that. I mean, if you're writing a comic, it's only natural to write in comic sans, right?

It all comes together!

Don't forget fairies, in fact is amazing how many fairies are bloodsuckers and ghostly beings. May as well call them all part of the Fair Folk. Which is what I'm doing actually.

Yeah I have also read that wolfbane blooms are also related, which along with the Autumn moon just gives a very specific time of the year and I guess it just isn't as fun nowadays when you can have him around 3 days per months (or 3 nights if you just go with "moon at night" rules).

I personally go with "full moon time" in this "setting", including day and night. I'm trying not to get too autistic with the rules on supernatural races but I want to stay a bit consistent at least.

>Also I would totally love a horror story about werewolves trying to survive against a furry werewolf hunter with a nightmarish fursuit made of actual werewolves.

Oh fuck that would be creepy as hell. And awesome. Really awesome.

She is a normal werewolf behind the couch, but yeah I can't unsee that neither. I didn't think this over until I finished the inking process, and I was already on my last hours so I went with it. Please understand.

comic sans hatred is overrated

I understand people hating it being used in any kind of official document, that's certainly inappropro
but people say its kerning is bad or whatever. I don't see it. i DO think that its sequel, Comic Neue or whatever, looked better the one time I saw it

>Please understand.
I'm not here to judge you, man.

>fursuit made of werewolves
some kind of weird inverse skin-walker thing. those myths where you turn into something by wearing a magic animal skin is really horrormovie if you think about it

sounds like a Supernatural episode

Sorry the phrase is part of me.

>13 seasons

May as well be one actually

I think that this is a progress.

Would you like that I draw your shitty waifu being deflowered with a screwdriver? just asking

You sir have won the power lottery.
I will use/modify it into something slightly different so you can still use it.

NOt OR, but I can recognize that nazi cap

What?

>but people say its kerning is bad or whatever.
kek what? People sure are getting straws on their hatred at this point.

The hatred with Comic Sans is mostly because of how misused it is, but as a font it's totally ok and legit. I'm a graphic designer and I can tell the hatred the font gets in the area is a meme by itself at this point. I personally don't mind it, but I avoid using the font just because people seems to trigger people and never stop about it.

> just because people seems to trigger people

well this is true but I meant to say "because it seems to trigger people".

well you're the first person I've ever heard say that. Where were you back when I was getting ganged up on?

Dude. There's no point in even trying to draw marginally complicated characters where you are right now. You need to practice your basic shapes and gain some confidence in your lines.

Getting ganged up too somewhere else probably

Why not just make them lose the fight.

losing = death

You're the author, surely you can be creative enough to actually come up some nuance for this situation.

Unless you're writing a shitty tournament arc with absolutely nothing interesting or special about it.

Im sure I can, I planned to re-visit that event (hopefully tomorrow) and do a 2nd draft

More answers, people!

No share link yet.

Why do you ask?

I dont want to appear rude, but this picture looks monotone and tedious. I cant imagine how anyone can have fun while drawing it.

Question muh fwends.

I was thinking of doing a Captain Marvel comic because he's in the public domain. Is Black Adam as well? He appeared in one of the Fawcett comics but it was a Marvel Family special so I'm not sure of those fall under the same circumstances (though I suspect they do).

i've tried researching it but i can't find anything specific to Adam just Shazam, Batson and the Senpai.

Ouch.

Then the key is a flour sack?

The flour sack is an exercise in representing weight and volume with simple lines.

OK!

I have nothing to do, so do you want a free drawing?

As far as I know, Black Adam avoided the copyright drama that Captain Marvel got and he is totally a property of DC.