I just finished the first season of G1, and I liked it, but I don't think I can take 49 episodes of this much cheese...

I just finished the first season of G1, and I liked it, but I don't think I can take 49 episodes of this much cheese. What are the essential Season 2 episodes to watch before moving on to The Movie?

bump

Read the Marvel comics.

The whole point of series was to help sell toys but what it also had episodes centered around several characters. It's the main reason why such characters like Starscream, Megatron, Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, and many others are considered iconic. I mean we had Optimus Prime playing basketball in one episode.

>essential
None of them. You don't need to see anything beforehand to see the movie. G1 is just a silly kids show, there's no deep story to follow.

That actually looks awesome. What episode is that from?

And I know I don't NEED to watch any of them, but I'd like to watch at least a couple of the "fan favorites" before moving on completely.

Autobot Spike, The Immobilizer, Traitor, A Prime Problem, Attack of the Autobots, Microbots, Megatron's Master Plan 1&2, The Core, Triple Takeover, The Key to Vector Sigma 1&2, War Dawn, Starscream's Brigade, The Revenge of Bruticus

If you like the Dinobots, you can also add Dinobot Island and Desertion of the Dinobots.

That webm is from the 86 film.

Triple Takeover. Careful though, it has the cheese of 49 episodes compressed into 22 minutes

Thanks m8, I'll give those a watch then!

Oh, nice. I'm looking forward to watching it for the first time, it sounds pretty neat.

It doesn't matter, the movie stands alone and practically starts its own continuity

If you want the full story, watch all of G1, if you wanna watch the movie just watch it, because it's basically designed to be a stand alone film and the seasons after it take after it

>That actually looks awesome. What episode is that from?
It's from the movie.

And c'mon man, you gotta fuckin' quit being a little bitch and build up your 80s cartoon callus.

Season 2 is when the writers' threw literally every idea at the wall to fill out the massive episode order; it's cheesy as fuck, but there are too many great moments/episodes to name.

Really, you're going about it all wrong if you're watching an 80s cartoon only for the eps that're considered to have actually held up, you should be getting ironic enjoyment out of the goofier episodes.

Like, Aerial Assault isn't gonna be on anybody's MUST SEE list, but it's a fun little focus episode for two characters that has hilariously stereotypical 80s Arabs and a giant purple griffin.

That episode was what made me give 80's cartoons a chance.
>tank crashes through a wall of a football stadium onto the field and is charging head long at the quarterback
>"Coach! It's a Tank! What do I do?!"
>"Give him the ball!"
>it works.

He needs to watch some of them to get more attached to the pre movie autobots. Thats a big part of the fun. At least it was for me back when I was a preteen and watched the movie for the first time after being a fan of the show for years.

Ironhide was my brother's favorite. Starscream was mine. I loved that movie.

Larry Strauss wrote that episode and he admits it was written as such because he hated the producers.
>I gave (writing for TV) up after a few years when I told the producer of "Transformers," the show about cars that turned into robots, that we had been tagged the third most violent children's television program and the producer said he would not be satisfied until we were number one on that list.

I totally would, but I have way too many things to watch and too little time.

It's not something that I can easily binge watch, its got very little serial continuity to make a longe-term session enjoyable. This happens even with my favorite old-school cartoons, they're just not made to be watched back to back like a modern cartoon is. I can watch an entire season of TMTN 2012 in a weekend, but I can't deal with more than four eps of the 80s show in a row.

So for the sake of time, I'm willing to sacrifice some great cheesey episodes while at least getting to know some characters before moving on, like said.

Otherwise it would take me over a month to get done with 49 episodes of this.

That producer sounds like a bro, should've listened to him.

> he would not be satisfied until we were number one on that list.
This explains the movie.

It be easier to tell you what to avoid
>B.O.T
>Trans Europe Express
>Hoist Goes Hollywood (not even cheese just cringe)
>Sea Change
>Child's Play (this one was both poorly animated and written)

Outside of those I'm pretty certain the rest were enjoyable

In that case I love that producer for making my childhood awesome. Shame that other guy only wanted to make shows for weenies that can't deal with consequences in their cartoons about giant robots with guns. Especially if the G1 cartoon was too much.

That was likely Margaret Loesch who has always been a big supporter of action cartoons for boys, she was a executive producer of the movie as well as a producer of the Prime series and Rescue Bots. She also ran Fox Kids programing in 1990s and was the big spear head for Xmen, Spiderman, Sam and Max, Big Guy and Rusty and many other comic book cartoons getting made where she had a passion for comics and felt children would love seeing those things in motion.

>It's not something that I can easily binge watch, its got very little serial continuity to make a longe-term session enjoyable. This happens even with my favorite old-school cartoons, they're just not made to be watched back to back like a modern cartoon is.
Eh, I marathoned (we didn't have the term "binge watching" in my day) all of G1 on video tape the first summer I had the opportunity, it can be done.

You're right about the 80s TMNT show, but I find that G1, while still cheesy and cartoony, has held up better than that show for the most part. It helps that it's a shorter show overall, and it has a wider, more varied cast.

But many of those cast members only get focus in one or two of those great cheesy episodes, like Seaspray, Powerglide, Beachcomber or Smokescreen.

And I can't believe that recommended The Core and not The Secret of Omega Supreme.

keep in mind the climate of the 80s was a serious rise in school shootings that still hasn't been match. No one was really sure what was causing them and cartoons were an easy target so I could see a lot of guilted writers and what no worried they were breeding killers. Come video games and a low kill count (but mostly high class area) shooting of Columbine to take all the heat off cartoons for awhile.

The Secret of Omega Supreme was a rather dry episode and didn't execute the plot all that well.

....I guess every 20th century decade is the same when you're born in 2002 or whenever the fuck, but dude, Columbine and the push-back against violent kids' media that it caused was the NINETIES.

The 80s was the era where there was a goddamned Rambo Saturday morning cartoon.

Fair enough, I just like that it's the first attempt to give any TF in the series a "backstory". Just watch The Golden Lagoon instead, that has a better script AND better Omega Supreme action anyway.

Well she's cool forever in my book. I hope she goes to 80s/90s action cartoon Valhalla.

Yeah. It's why we often can't have nice things. At least I got to grow up with plenty of cartoons that kicked a lot of ass, and a few that didn't pull their punches from time to time. Transformers the movie being a great example.

Not that user, but while I don't remember the 80s very well, a lot of the cartoons I loved in the early 90s were made in the 80s. Many of them featured those PSA type scenes at the end of episodes, and I could have sworn several of them were about playing with guns or shooting a bully or some such.

Read over that post again slowly. After you do that, read about the school shootings in the 80s.
Also that Rambo cartoon was water down a great deal from the source and still had a lot of push back, some stations wouldn't even syndicate it. It's why GI joe was red and blue lasers, it's why terms like "kill", "murder", and what not were so rare, because there was just a setting of kids killing kids in the country and it was a scary time. To give better context, There was a Wyoming school shooting where 80 high school kids were badly injured when a student went in with an Uzi to the school then off himself.

Is English not your first language or are you like my 33 year old NEET friend where you just jump on an error that isn't there?

What an awesome person.