What's with the stigma that cartoons with girl leads won't make money or bring in ratings...

What's with the stigma that cartoons with girl leads won't make money or bring in ratings? Are there any examples of it actually happening, or is it just executives making random assumptions with no actual basis?

Other urls found in this thread:

todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/pink-used-common-color-boys-blue-girls/
hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-ceo-transformers-future-marketing-my-little-pony-boys-1012852
huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/gender-toys-children-toy-preferences-hormones_n_1827727.html
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6956467.stm
youtube.com/watch?v=QLikb72OMS4
youtube.com/watch?v=_86_3DZEQ6I
youtube.com/watch?v=2XZeC4jFlvM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Powerpuff Girls was a female lead cartoon and it was really popular at the time. It had a lot of merchandise. Kim possible was also really popular and a female lead show. So it could be executives not knowing how to make good female lead shows.

Most stuff in Hollywood is just based on old beliefs and "market research".

Cartoons are built on toy sales; action figures of robots, guys with guns, muscular dudes, vehicles. Things that young girls don't traditionally like. Girl cartoons are built on doll sales; princesses, babies, cute animals, pink things. When you make a cartoon, you typically try to appeal to only one of those two audiences, because 1) you don't want the kids of one gender to stop watching because of the presence of elements for another gender, and 2) you want to be producing only ONE kind of toy per show, it's cheaper that way and you don't want to fragment your line.

Is all of this stuff true, or is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? No one knows for sure, but up until recently it's always worked, and if there's one thing companies hate, it's taking risks, so they'll always take the tried-and-true method.

Now toy sales are suffering while video game sales are up, app sales are up, and non-toy merchandise sales are up, so that's why you've seen fewer shows that are action-oriented or girl-oriented. Silly comedy shows sell lots of non-toy merchandise and apps to both girls AND boys.

super-girl is a girl, and marvel's making some female led show on ABC soon

I guess the stigma is gone

not that I'm glad it's gone, female leads in action shows don't seem to appeal to me as much, at least none of my favorite action shows have female leads

Eh, it was all related to toy sales for a long time. We live in an era where unisexual kids entertainment sells toys to both sexes, so as the other guy said, the stigma is disappearing. I'm glad it is.

I can say that a lot has changed over the last few decades so it was a thing and it's impact, that is something you can debate.

>I can say that a lot has changed over the last few decades
I don't think so. Girls having their own versions of toys are just as prominent as ever.

Why can't people understand that these aren't just "girl LEGOs", they're LEGOs for people who happen to LIKE princesses and pink shit?

It's not like if you're a girl you're banned from buying regular LEGOs as you always have. It's just attempting to reach a different kind of customer.

It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that Merida is ALSO included in the list of "pink dresses and sparkly girls" despite never having any of that.

And there are stories of women authors who came to schools to talk about their book which starred a magical princess or warrior princess and saw no little boys in the crowd, not because they weren't interested in the books, but because teachers never recommended it to them because they assumed the boys would not be interested in reading a story about a princess-anything.

I mean, look how JK Rowling had to abbreviate her name because the publisher thought the books would sell better if people didn't know it was a woman author.

Have you seen the type of boys that like this type of shit?

Are you trying to imply they'll all grow up to be gay sissies or something? Isn't that just pushing the idea that if a boy likes the color pink, there's something wrong with him?

I don't think anyone is gonna get pissed that an 8-year old thinks all the Frozen songs are catchy and that it's his favorite movie. Or get upset if he thinks Wonder Woman is cool. If any kids beat him up for it, that's on the fault of the other parents for raising their kids so shitty, not the kid who likes that stuff.

What a dumbass.

They all grow up to be cockmongling faggots, yes.

faggots is one yes there's other types of problematic boys that watch this type of show too.

That's just because you're gay.

Girl leads in action cartoons would work if they'd actually make them look cool, act cool, and be interesting characters. They usually come off as forced, bland, annoying, with their character seeming to revolve around the fact that they're a girl and with a meh/sexualized design. Sexy characters are fine but it takes away from the cool factor that you'd want action figures of. Why is it so hard to make a cool character that just happens to be a girl?

Haha, what a goddamn loser.

This is also the same femnazi who said she hated all DC Movies including Wonder Woman but gave WW a pass because it's impact on little girls was invaluable.

She literally only gives a shit about brownie points.

>Why is it so hard to make a cool character that just happens to be a girl?
Because it's often written by American men who don't know how girls act so they try to make them too perfect or otherwise American women who want to prove to everyone girls can be great characters too and give them too MANY flaws.

Really, if you want good consistent girl characters you need to look outside the country to find them. Even Japan where half their girl characters are written as fetish fuel for horndog Japs are better than what we got.

Why is she so angry? Who hurt her? Is there any way anyone can save her from her own bitterness or is this something only she can sort out?

Fuck off the asians do the same.Same goes for the french and italian shows.

Ratings are never hurt.
I think merch sales used to take hits but that was more a product of the times.

FUCK LEGO FRIENDS

I know it might sound weird but I think noticeable breasts takes away from the action appeal. Like if I was a kid I think I'd much prefer an Azula toy over a Korra one, for example, just based on their designs. Fire nation armor >>> tank accentuating big ol tiddies, in terms of coolness

If it was a man you'd wish she was dead.

>I don't think anyone is gonna get pissed that an 8-year old thinks all the Frozen songs are catchy
I would because that means he likes fixer upper

A man can't be a she.

I always thought Kim Possible was fine as a kid. Never even thought anything of it.

The stigma seems to be becoming a thing of the past and just older people believe it's an issue now. There are lots of shows with lots of female characters now.

You think boys today would waifu XJ9? I don't think she wouldn't appeal to them as well.

Literally nothing. She's just been following every successful person since the 70's who is so bored they feel the need to be angry about something to keep themselves busy.

If anything, the only reason she managed to be so successful in the industry is because she's fucking Alex HIrsch who has a thousand and one industry connections to get her work.

jesus christ Dana, you are a wonderful artist, but it's ok for women to have a range. And how dare you put down Zelda. Judging a woman because she's into pink or princesses is as bad as judging a woman who doesn't fit those stereotypes. Grow up, you're a role model in this industry now.

>I don't think anyone is gonna get pissed that an 8-year old thinks all the Frozen songs are catchy and that it's his favorite movie. Or get upset if he thinks Wonder Woman is cool.

A while ago Target stopped labeling their toy aisles as "Boy" or "Girl" (so basically all they did was take down some signs). Afterwards a bunch of dumbasses got up in arms about it like "HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHAT TO GET MY KID UNLESS YOU TELL ME IF IT'S FOR A BOY OR A GIRL? ARE YOU TRYING TO TURN MY SON INTO A SISSY?"

>Alex HIrsch

>yfw your last gf left you 3 years ago and this manlet is getting feminist puss

MLP is the girl show with female leads that has managed to appeal to both boys and girls.

Mostly to lonely loser such as myself, but yeah.

Nah, robot waifus are for old people. The cool kids these days are into fucking AIs. Get with the time, grandpa.

That isn't his gf, my friend, his SJW agenda is just so powerful that his beard came to life and made its own Twitter account.

because it doesn't portray it self as a "girl show".

MLP also has the cookie cutter template cast with personalized one-note traits that attracts people who love "create your own OC" shows. Homestuck (Trolls), Steven Universe (Gemsonas), Sonic the Hedgehog.

the OP's tweet is fucking awful as well. did GoT create blonde girls from that angle now?

Is she successful? She's worked on three shows for Disney, less than 10 episodes total.

There's also nothing similar about those pics besides it being two girl characters with long hair looking in the same direction.

They don't even have the same color hair.

You mean creepy adult autist men. Little boys have no interest in it.

Storyboard artist for GF season 2, Director for many early Ducktales eps, and she currently has a pilot in the works at DisneyTV.

She also has very successful charity streams with many popular e-celebs like Game Grumps, Ian JQ + Rebecca Sugar, and sometimes Hirsch joins in, too.

>if a boy likes the color pink, there's something wrong with him?
Yes, actually. Human females are naturally attracted to colors that look like ripe fruit (shades of red, yellow and inbetween) while human males like colors/things that remind them of the hunt.

>gives up her dream of being an archeologist and sacrifices her happiness for the greater good
>gives it her all and still fails and gets everyone killed
>still has the courage to fight Ganon solo for 100 years to protect her husbando
>Is an example of strong and independent without being a mary sue, showing that women don't have to be perfect super heroes in order to be strong
>compare her to the most mary sue princess in recent memory because lmao pop culture reference

Fucking disgusting.

This. My son can be as deviant as he wants as long as he doesn't have shit taste.

todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/pink-used-common-color-boys-blue-girls/

>One of the earliest references to this original color scheme appeared in a June of 1918 edition of the trade publication Earnshaw’s Infants’ Department,

>The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink , being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.

No not really
hollywoodreporter.com/news/hasbro-ceo-transformers-future-marketing-my-little-pony-boys-1012852
> My Little Pony, where 30 percent of our global TV audience is boys

But user, she had tears in her eyes, that means she's a pussy.

Just like how they cut out the scene of Belle crying in the Beauty & the Beast remake because it was deemed not independent enough by modern day feminists. That's right, a character who is famous for being a strong female character was written because she wasn't strong enough by modern standards. She even tries to escape the castle at first rather than giving her word in exchange for her father because I guess "escaping" is inherently more powerful than "keeping your word"? Even though it's literally the opposite and actually cowardly?

>Are you trying to imply they'll all grow up to be gay sissies or something?

Yes.

huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/gender-toys-children-toy-preferences-hormones_n_1827727.html

The cartoon for DC Superhero Girls seems to be successful .

This isn't useful without comparing the audience to older MLPs and other equivalent girl's shows.

She should've neutered Beast with a rusty pair of scissors and walk him around on a leash, then throw Gaston out the window.

And if anyone ever fights you about this ask what colors are associated with The Virgin Mary.

That is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. Please end yourself.

fixer upper was not bad, it just did not fit the film

I like the way they never tell you why blue for boy and pink for girl changed.

Wasn't it because of Hitler?

but but...men hunt, women gather.

That's what I heard.

I was talking from a biological point of view. Though I remembered wrong on them having a preference for yellow because *I* associate it with ripe fruit.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6956467.stm

Legend of Korra's ratings dropped like crazy to the point where it was taken off the air, but I think that had more to do with the god-awful writing direction and lack of interesting story arcs and characters compared to the previous show than the female lead.

Just with some research:
>Apparently he's (Hitler) to blame for the role reversal of colors and gender. According to the story, when he shipped gays and lesbians off to concentration camps, he ordered the ones who could be "cured" to have a pink triangle attached to them. And soon the color became one and the same with femininity."

I don't know if that is the sole cause of it, but that is interesting. I didn't know about the triangles thing.

I've heard the graphic novels sell super good .

>people are literally blaming Hitler for gender stereotypes

Pink for girls and blue for boys is a Western, 20th century development. It's frankly ridiculous to claim there is an biological reason for this.

No we're not. Just speculating that the association of colors reversed might be a result of that.

We're not really saying it in a negative connotation, just acknowledging that it did switch over and it was less than a hundred years ago when it did make the switch.

This
In the 19 century the color pink was used mostly for young boys

They did all sorts of crazy shit back then but I guess it's alright when it proves gender is a social construct.

The biggest factor was probably that they kept changing around the schedule on super short notice and barely advertized it if at all.

There was never any grounded proof. That shit was most pushed in the 80's and even then She-Ra was practically proof that this was never the case.

The stigma existed for so long for the same reason Shigeru Miyamoto hates any Mario character that wasn't originally made by him: Because executives are made up of out of touch old people who are convinced they are "with it" when in reality they're just throwing shit at the wall.

You're an idiot.

It was also common for men to wear make-up. Small penises in the the Greek era used to be viewed as the more favorable size because large penises were associated with barbarians. And homosexuality was extremely common in Greece, with most men having young boy lovers on top of having a wife.

So much of the shit we think is a result of "biological thinking" is actually just nonsense narratives that a group of people somewhere push and sometimes they latch on. I mean, look at how there was a point where the narrative of "communists are always bad" was pushed and Americans believed it. Or how, despite us having knowledge of the Earth being round since Egyptian times, since that info was lost during collapses of empires , people immediately latched on to the Church and believed everything they said.

>if women don't like pink, gender is a social construct.

You're retarded.

You'd be suprised how wrong you are.

>I mean, look at how there was a point where the narrative of "communists are always bad" was pushed and Americans believed it. Or how, despite us having knowledge of the Earth being round since Egyptian times, since that info was lost during collapses of empires , people immediately latched on to the Church and believed everything they said.

You were doing so well at first, too.

the stigma doesn't exist. it hasn't for a long time, and lots of shows have female leads. this is a non-issue, that some people are trying to make into a controversy.

Now listen here you just said the knowledge of the earth being round was lost and you blame the church misinformation when they where investigating this shit to regain the knowledge.I don't think that's fair honestly.

Actually, the "earth being round" thing didn't work exactly like that. As far as I know, Egyptians and greeks believed the Earth was a half-sphere, until St. Augustine started out the idea that it was a full sphere. It was only after the middle ages ended that the "Earth is flat" argument resurfaced, or rather surfaced for the first time in all seriousness.

I wasn't really blaming the Church, I was more saying that when Roman Empire collapsed, people looked to the Church for guidance since Christianity became one of the few things standing so they were able to gain power and control the narrative for long while.

Whether or not they were stifling knowledge or they themselves did not know the facts and just shared their theories of the shape of the Earth, I'm not confident enough to say, but what they said is what people believed.

Little bit of both. For the longest time they were the greatest providers for an higher education at the time, but said education was limited to those directly part of the Church and wasn't taught directly to your typical commoner. Also while they valued some higher education, any theories that went against their core beliefs was a big no-no.

why is ivy dabbing?

How could they tell if they could be cured?

Comunists are always bad faggot

There isn't actually any evidence for the pink and fruit theory, someone just made it up. One problem with the theory is pink used to be the boys' color so it could just be someone handwaving something they think makes sense. I think the only color with much backing that humans in general have a strong reaction to is red for both genders.

Too bad a lot of parents still haven't gotten the memo because I have repeatedly witnessed parents refusing to buy anything for their little girls that isn't pink, including specifically legos.

Of course, if you're a kid with that kind of shitty ass mom, you can at least convince her to get you "the girl kind" of legos now that they actually are an option, so there's that.

Why are kids such faggots that they dont buy toys anymore? Is it because hasbro and mattel have been cheapening them out and made them less articulated and painted?

It's kind of like how in the Middle Ages women were supposedly the horny sex loving gender whose crazed libidos poor chaste men had to be protected from and then in the Victorian era it was suddenly the opposite. Things that "everybody just knows" seem to flip flop around over time and place with at times it seems not a lot of rhyme or reason.

>communist apologist

>Is it because hasbro and mattel have been cheapening them out
Well hasbro has
Who the fuck cares about matel anymore? hasbro is in much higher leagues now.
But yeah, look at how poorly the first equestria girls dolls sold compared to the minis.

What kids do seem to buy is blind bags, I guess it's the baseball cards of our age.

It's two things IMO.

Video Games and Ipads are just cooler louder and brighter, that and they offer more. Minecraft is just legos but there's so much to do and you can do with just buying a game while legos are expensive and you have to buy pieces you need and want. Want a new car but don't have tires you're shit out of luck. That and Ipads and video games are still new and shinny at least at this level of depth and realism.

Yes I think Toys are pretty shitty now. When I was a kid my Vice was Hot Wheels I have thousands of dollars worth of track in my attic back home, I used to build tracks all over my house. I would buy sets like the "Torando twister", or the "Fireball" There's not tracks on the market like that anymore. There aren't Hot Wheels tracks that are 3ft vertical looping towers etc. anymore. And it's not that kids won't play with them or anything like that it's just that I think kids aren't being exposed to that kind of stuff they just give them an Ipad and on demand now and it's all gucci.

Hot wheels when I was a kid:
youtube.com/watch?v=QLikb72OMS4
youtube.com/watch?v=_86_3DZEQ6I

Hot Wheels now:
youtube.com/watch?v=2XZeC4jFlvM

Fun Fact though I had Criss Cross Crash in like 01-04 this is pretty much they only hot wheels track out right now akin to what they made when I was a kid and it's just something they've kept around for years.

Too bad LEGO Friends are selling like fucking hotcakes.

Women are the hornier gender. Women are absolutely obsessed with sex. I worked for a major television provider and I can tell you, you can't sell sex to a man. A man wants sports or westerns or something to shut the kids up. Women want to watch shows about sex. They want trashy reality shows about sex or they want crime dramas or lifetime movies about sex. I legit sold more porn to women than men. You could offer a man the playboy channel for free and get turned down every time. Women would call in to order it by name. It's kind of nasty having 70-80 year old women call in to order smut.

Gonna call large amounts of bullshit on this considering the porn industry is way bigger among men. I think wherever you live that might be true, but as a whole, the market is way more profitable among men.

None of it was bullshit and I dealt with people all over the country. Locality has nothing to do with it. Also my experience wasn't atypical. If anything it was understated. We had a girl on our team that could consistently sell hardcore porn channels to middle aged and older women. Somehow for some reason she knew exactly how to broach the subject and close the deal. And I'm not talking about the PPVs for a night. She was selling them the actual ala carte channels. On the low end those things are 30 bucks and she was getting about 3 sold a week. I think I probably sold 3 of those the entire time I worked there and those were specifically callers that called in to order them.

we pseudoscience now? sweet.

Behold, the most inaccurate post on Sup Forums

Why are Mulan, Harley and Poison Ivy superheroines?