ITT: Remember this?

Remember when Billy batson was a wizard?

Also, Some of Captain marvel is in public domain? Is the wizard in public domain?

It was slightly less shit than Freddy being the new Captain Marvel.

>Wizard Billy was batshit crazy from the voices of the gods in his head
>Freddy doing greek trials to prove chosen worth
yeah, it was a great time for legacy characters. Freddy becoming the new champion had to happen sooner or later.

I actually liked Freddy as the new Captain, he grew into the role, also he was pretty cute with Mary.

I think this had a lot of potential before the New 52 snuffed it out.

Remember when he made a girl say his name.

>before the New 52 snuffed it out.
It was way before that. Freddy got fucked over by Osiris post-Brightest Day in a Titans issue and lost his powers to transformed. This was after the Wizard of Shazam was resurrected and stripped the other Marvels of their powers during Final Crisis. Freddy was the only one who retained his powers because he got them directly from the gods because of Trials of Shazam.

bump

What I've heard is that the actual Golden Age comics are in the public domain, but all the character names and likenesses are trademarked by DC.

Fuck, i thought we could write shazam books.

God that book was so shit

Ok.

So I was on board with Wizard Billy. I was hesitant, but I wanted to see more Billy and having him fill a role of such significance in the DC cosmology could do that possibly.

So then they tag fucking Freddy as his replacement. I mean Wtf. And make fucking Mary motherfucking Marvel "darker". Mary as the new Cap wouldn't have been fought so much. They could have organically brought about the type of shit that's forced fed to us nowadays years ago, much more palatable.

Fuck off Winnick.

I remember Freddy being a fucking asshole.

This

You COULD. Trademarks apply to brand recognition and marketing, you just need to make sure that your book couldn't be mistaken by any reasonable person for an official DC Comic. So you couldn't put "SHAZAM!" on cover of your comic, for example.

So you could easily make a book where Captain Marvel ('Shazam" version of the character is copyright DC!) is a character who shows up, and perhaps teams up with other public domain wizards like Merlin etc. And you could probably have a superhero parody where Captain Marvel shows up, and for example serves as a Superman stand-in. But I think that's the limit of what could be done with him without infringint on the trademark.

He's technically trademarked by marvel hencetheir iteration.
user sent me from the Webcomic thread to make my own but I really hate shitting the place up with personal questions. And then I see this thread with the same conversation.

His Fawcett appearances are in the public domain due to... we'll say reasons. This includes many of the tertiary characters and his origin.

My question was/is; would black adam also public domain then? PDSH website lists that specials are part of the public domain but they don't list all the specific ones. Adam Teth appears and gets the name Black Adam in a "Marvel Family Special", which is from the public domain publishing period IIRC.

I think that would fall under the "specials" character, one would assume, but I feel like DC wouldn't have pushed Adam so hard unless they felt they had strong copyright as well as trademark protection for him.

What's going on with Shazam?

Last I saw he was in Darkseid War getting his powers from really cool sources like Yuga Khan and the Martian god of fire. It was interesting and I wanted to see where they would go with it.

Bump

Nothing happen with shazam.

There is a book coming next year.

People wanted pre-FP status quo so Billy needed to fuck off until the JSA comes back