Post a trope you hate and a variation of that trope that you love

Post a trope you hate and a variation of that trope that you love.

>Bad Trope: Incompetent joke character gets in trouble, is saved by the protagonists and ultimately learns nothing from the experience.

>Good trope: Incompetent joke character gets in trouble and surprises everyone by growing as a person to solve their own problem.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T5T1W0CWmfc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Bad Trope: Girl character is the smart one

>Good Trope: Girl character is the smart one but has the same sense of humor as the others

>BAD IDEA-Character is mad at a friend for shitty behavior but ultimately learns to accept them so everything can return to status quo

>GOOD IDEA-Character is tired of a shitty friends behavior and after trying to meet the friend halfway puts their foot down which ultimately leads to their friend becoming a better person.

honestly not where I thought you were going to go with that.

>Bad Trope: main characters enter overly dramatic interpersonal conflict that could be solved by a single direct honest conversation, usually caused by an villain who has been manipulating them.

>Good Variation: instead of fighting they actually have the conversation and use this to manipulate the villain.

>Bad trope:Optimistic character thinks thing is good at start of story but is eventually proven wrong by pessimistic character and comes to understand why the pessimistic character feels the way they do

>Good trope: Optimistic character thinks thing is good at start of story and is eventually proven wrong by pessimistic character but still manages to stay optimistic about things

>Bad Trope: Weak C-list character is killed off to show how tough a villain is

>Good Trope: Weak C-list character sacrifices themselves to give A-list characters a chance at beating a villain

>Bad: Muscular character is a dumb meathead who only exists for Le leg day jokes, typical "jock" shitheadedness, and idiocy

>Good: In becoming muscular he follows a well balanced, proven strength regimen, knows the biomechanics and technique of each exercise to the point of being able to teach it to others, is disciplined with his training and diet and is more than willing to encourage progress and effort from anyone, no matter where they're starting at, has a working brain

>Bad Trope: Protagonist does something stupid that gets fixed for status quo

>Good Trope: Protagonist does something stupid that they have to live with

>Weak C-Lister gets beaten by the Villain to show how dangerous he is

>Villain wins an unexpectedly tough and tricky fight with a C-Lister to show how dangerous THEY can be, surprising the villain and earning their respect

>Bad: Big Guy lifts for Girls

>Good: Big Guy lifts for himself

>Excellent: Big Guy lifts because he wasn't strong enough to save someone he loved

Reminds me of-
>Bad: Main character is jealous of another character who is seemingly perfect but it turns out that character has some very deep flaws beneath the surface

>Good: Main character is jealous of another character who is seemingly perfect and spends a majority of the story trying to figure out their flaw but realizes that they're just an all around great person and that they'll have to either learn to live with it or start improving themselves

>Bad trope: The Villian is pure unadulterated evil and still tries to justify himself with mental gymnastics

>Good trope: The villian knows, accepts, and loves the fact that he is pure evil

>Easily exploitable mcguffin is instantly forgotten after the storyline concludes and never returns

>McGuffin is brought back later in the series to help the heroes, and used whenever applicable

>Bad: The consummate liar is just an irredeemable untrustworthy asshole

>Good: He's also the most grounded and normal people in the show

>Bad Trope: Main henchman loses to the hero and gets punished by the villain

>Good Trope: Main henchman loses to the hero and gets pardoned by the villain

In a similar vain as the OP

>Bad Trope: Villain fails throughout series and eventually becomes a joke character, is eventually considered so nonthreatening that they basically just become another protagonist

>Good Trope: Villain fails throughout series and eventually becomes a joke character, then out of nowhere figures out how to turn it around and becomes a complete menace to the shock of the protagonists.

/fit/ go home

>Heroes beat the Villains through the power of friendship

>The Villains fight back with their own power of friendship

Oh shit, that sounds incredible.
Any examples of that?

>Bad- Main female love interest is basically a mom who dotes on the main character and scolds the MC for getting into trouble
>Good- Same as above but they eventually get tired of the MC's shit and drops them for a better character

>Bad: Henchmen lose and the Villain is pissed at them for not beating the hero

>Good: Henchmen lose and the Villain is pissed at the hero for hurting his men

>Bad trope: Characters are put into a life threatening situation but are quickly rescued

>Good trope: Characters are put into life threatening situation and are rescued but not before accepting the fact that they are going to die and are forced to confront their own mortality.

>Bad: Infamously skilled and strong good guy gets beaten by the villain to show how powerful the villain is

>Good: he gets beaten while he was sick, tired, and taken by surprise to show that the villain isn't fucking retarded, and when he's back at full speed the villain wants nothing to do with him

>Smug villain (preferably female), who always gets away with it, ...
>Bad: Is never defeated.
>Good: Is ultimately beaten by a good character.
>Best: Is ultimately beaten by another villain.

>Protagonist(s) get distracted by sexy background characters/antagonists to get them to either fail their quest or work for them

>Protagonist(s) realize what's going on quickly and tell them to drop the bullshit, they'd rather get out of things alive than get their dick wet

>Bad trope: Villain kills own henchman for no real reason

>Good trope: Villain gives "one more" chance to henchman and henchman actually achieves the goal

Bad: Male and female character get together for no reason.

Good: Male and female either stay friends or get together after some actual chemistry.

>Good trope: Villain gives "one more" chance to henchman and henchman actually achieves the goal
My favorite TMNT standalone episode.
youtube.com/watch?v=T5T1W0CWmfc

>>Good Variation: instead of fighting they actually have the conversation and use this to manipulate the villain.

God, I would love for writers to do that more. Young Justice probably had the best version of it, which resulted in the ENTIRE villain alliance getting played and exposed in the second season.

I know it happened in the Justice League a few times (when Gorilla Grodd put together a team for a one-off plot, and then founded the Secret Society to deal with the growing League membership). It was a shame Luthor kept stealing the idea and then failing miserably with it because Luthor is a fuckboy who doesn't work well with others.

OK yeah, but now I want to see a villain who's about to be defeated by the protagonists using the last of their energy to, in cheesy JRPG style, calls upon the power of all the friendships they made on their journey to destroy the heroes. Just for once I'd like to see the protagonists see the bad guy being powered up by the spirits of loved ones

>"What!? NO! This is IMPOSSIBLE!"
>is engulfed by final attack composed of pure friendship energy
>"NOOOOOOOooooooooooo"

One variation of the second one I like is when the character calmly accepts their fate when they're sure they're going to die, but as soon as they see a way out they do a 180 and start frantically scrambling for it.

>BAD IDEA: Villian treats his goons like garbage and always shits on them

>GOOD IDEA: Villian treats all his goons like bros and remembers all their names

>Bad trope: "If you kill him you'll be as bad as him!"

>Good trope: They do kill him and it's better for everyone, including themselves.

I read an MLP fanfic that included this trope

This is boring as shit

That second trope is a completely different thing. You do that to keep the hero looking strong, but does jackshit to the villain.

>Bad Trope: "If you kill the villain you're no different!"

>Bad Trope: "KILL LE VILLAINS OR THEY JUST DO IT AGAIN"

>Good Trope: "The decisions you make and the actions that follow are a reflection of who you are. You cannot hide from yourself."

>Patrician trope: "As far as I know a rock did it"

Any examples of this?

>villain can barely keep up with C-lister
Congratulations you made your villain look like a pussy.
For that you use the Villain's second in command, and maybe the c-lister gets a jab at the villain in the final fight.

I love that they use these things every chance they get.

kind of have to when the show is named after them

>kind of have to when the show kills everyone every week*
ftfy

They are merely the reset button after every arc.

That's what I liked about Fist of the North Star. Kenshiro was willing to let the mooks run away, and usually said something like "Beat it, I'm not here for you". But when he was up against mass-murdering assholes like Jagi and Amiba, he just slaughtered them and carried on without much fuss.

>Bad Trope: A character constantly whines about their tragic past.

>Good Trope: A character has a tragic past and is angry/anti-social, but mostly keeps it to himself.

Bad: The big bad villain has to have a big bad female sidekick so the hero's love interest has someone to beat up.

Good: The villain is a woman and is imposing/dangerous enough to carry the show/movie.

>Bad: Regular villain gets upstaged at the ass-end of the show when An Ancient Evil Awakens as the true final boss
>Good: Regular villain gets upstaged midway through the show when An Ancient Evil Awakens and now both him and the heroes have to learn to deal with the new balance of evil powers for the rest of the season and the Ancient Evil has time to blossom into a villain we as viewers/readers can give a shit about

>Brilliant: Big Guy lifts because he's a shitty person that nobody likes and gaining good physical shape is his last resort at gathering any sort of positive attention from anybody.

So, Black Cat and SpOck, basically?

>BRRAPP

>spock
>villain

examples?

sounds fucking awesome

Dragon Booster

>very good: Ancient evil awakens, upstages regular villain through sheer power
>Regular villain beats down the ancient evil with villain tech and dominates it

I don't know any true examples, just got the idea from The Final Watch where the characters wonder about a centuries dead dragon wizard being revived by the villain and realizing it'd be stupid because the dragon wizard would last all of five minutes before the jets are mobilized and it's blasted apart by a barrage of missiles.

>Best: It works

>If you kill me you're not better than me villain dialogue, hero tries to find another way

Makes me want to shit out my spine in anger, but I've seen this "comeback" in a few places and I've liked it

>I'm not trying to be better than you, I'm trying to make the world a better place

Then proceeds to fucking off the faggot ass villain

>Bad idea: Have the villain give the standard "WE'RE NOT SO DIFFERENT YOU AND I/JOIN THE DARK SIDE" speech
>Good idea: Have the hero observe for himself the fact he's got points in common with the bad guy and decide for himself that even then he would not join his cause or try to use those common points to come to a peaceful resolution of their conflicts

>Bad trope: Character accidentally gets multiple dates for the same night and tries to juggle them
>Good trope: Character has a whole harem at his side

X-Men evolution kind of did this right, definitely not mid-way through though.

>Worst: only for a while

>Bad: Heroes that kill because of some mental issues or childhood trauma or tragic backstory that comprise their entire character

>Good: Heroes that do kill their enemies but know how to do it responsibly or do it when it needs to be done, and that don't whine about whatever issues they do have

>Bad Trope: Girl Power show that constantly shoves the fact that they have vaginas (or gay or whatever) in your face.

>Also Bad Trope: Girls are so butch, they have no shred of femininity whatsoever, practically shirking any reason for them to be girl characters.

>Good Trope: They're allowed to be girly and do girl things, they never say preachy things like "girl power" or "ugh, men" and the show focuses more on being a good cartoon than being a good girl cartoon or some other weird ulterior motive.

THIS SO FUCKING MUCH

Mike and Sulley?

When has this happened?

sauce?

Girls that get to be competent without having to be Mary Sues, bitches or botched boys are always the best girls.

ITT : Fags triggered by kill code heroes.

It's ok to have a code against killing. It's not ok to think killing a villain will somehow turn you into a villain. Being a villain isn't some kind of magic curse or transmittable disease.

It represents the slippery slope of justifying actions. Just like how you most likely justify any of the dumb shit you say here in Sup Forums because "I'm anonymous here ecks dee!".

Joker: *Murders litterally thousands of people over many years.*

Batman: Can't kill one person or I'll be genocidal too!

I like Batman but even I can't justify this shit.

Horse

People call this into question so much, I personally think it's inevitable that they one day bite the bullet and let an incarnation of Batman justifiably kill someone like Joker, or even a B-lister like Scarecrow or Deathstroke in some direct-to-dvd animated special or something.

People criticized the Tim Burton portrayal for being so violent, I think that's still better than the fucking gymnastics they do to explain why he shouldn't kill Joker or indiscriminate assassins like Deadshot and Slade.

Sure, it's Joker now. But then tomorrow what?

"The courts corrupt, Two-face will get out again, might as well kill him".
"Arkham Asylum's guards suck. Riddler will get out again. I should kill him".
"Blackgate will never be able to hold Bane. I should kill him".

Making justifications to excuse outright manslaughter shows an absolute lack of faith in law, justice, or due process; and Batman wears his pointy hat every night because his parents killer was never brought to justice.

Slippery slope fallacy.

You're a fucking retard and ironically should be killed.

Riiiight. Joker gets to be the one to be killed because he kills lots, gets thrown in jail, gets out, then its all back to square one. But the others get a pass because they only commit small murders when they get out, am I right?