Captain America - Secret Empire

O BOY I SURE HATE DRONALD TRUMPFD

(posting this because I've been reading Gruenwald's Cap and it referenced this much earlier storyline, so I wanted to go back and check it out)

Oh, you were serious. I figured this was just a Sup Forums shitposting thread when I saw it in the catalogue considering the cover.

COMICS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE POLITICAL!

I'm honestly surprised by how much Englehart was allowed to get away with in this.
The US must have really hated Nixon by 1973

In retrospect, I probably should have realized what starting with this issue would imply.

Apparently Englehart and his mid-70's Marvel pals like Starlin and Gerber were purposely trying to see how much they could get away with in these comics.

Plus Marvel's primary audience at this time were college-aged kids who definitely were in staunch opposition to Vietnam and Nixon.

I wasn't really thinking of any political implications when making this thread, just interested in the story. Hopefully things won't devolve into political bickering but not a lot of Sup Forums are that interested in 70's comics anyway.

>Tumblr's attacking again?!

>But there's not a Tumblr in sight-- and a hard search turns up no one hidden as well
Someone's gonna get some good reaction images out of this issue.

I am picturing Peggy as a 70 year old woman

Let's be honest, they'll vacate the thread the second they see that there's a storytime going on rather than just complaining about people complaining about Trump.

She's what I believe the Japanese call a "Christmas cake"

Hey, Spencer could turn Sup Forums back to his side overnight by bringing back Tumbler as a strawman Tumblr.

Though he did use actual SJW strawvillains already and nobody on Sup Forums even noticed, so maybe it's too late.

>nobody on Sup Forums even noticed
The opposite, actually. The day that comic got released, pages from it were posted on Sup Forums and we got flooded by butthurt Sup Forumslacks screaming about how it was SJW pandering and white genocide because they were under the mistaken impression that Spencer was trying to portray the clearly villainous SJW strawmen as the heroes of the story.

Then when people tried to correct them, they just started shitposting about how that's what (((they))) want you to think and it just went from there.

My expectations are at rock bottom yet still I am disappointed.

Worst Moonstone desu

I had read in a synopsis that this was the debut of the first Moonstone and I just realized they meant this one, not the one we know and love.

Yeah it was a real eye opener. After reading the comic I came on Sup Forums expecting to find people going "based Spencer taking it to the SJWs" or something like that. Instead there were like 3 different threads filled with rampant butthurt over all the "SJW pandering" and, lo and behold, a thread that went over bump limit over on Sup Forums filled with rampant butthurt and people calling for a raid of Sup Forums that was timestamped before any of the three threads.

Just goes to show how far the victim complex goes. Even when someone is AGREEING with them, they'll still see you as the enemy to to try and justify their shitposting and anger. It's just "what is today's excuse to get outraged" and when there is nothing, they'll just make something up.

The only way to win is not to play.

The "outrage" over the Spider-Man panel from SE #9 yesterday was an unexpected lol

>This fox isn't known for her tact

Also, 70's Jungle Action is in the same tier as stuff like this and Gerber's satirical work and Starlin's drug influenced work, in that it was part of the "this isn't selling so well, so let's see what kind of shit we can get away with" movement.

Don McGregor wrote it as a HIGHLY political and philosophical and notoriously verbose work. Panther even takes on the KKK in it.

Dwayne McDuffie on McGregor's Jungle Action:

>This overlooked and underrated classic is arguably the most tightly written multi-part superhero epic ever. ... It's damn-near flawless, every issue, every scene, a functional, necessary part of the whole. Okay, now go back and read any individual issue. You'll find seamlessly integrated words and pictures; clearly introduced characters and situations; a concise (sometimes even transparent) recap; beautifully developed character relationships; at least one cool new villain; a stunning action set piece to test our hero's skills and resolve; and a story that is always moving forward towards a definite and satisfying conclusion. That's what we should all be delivering, every single month. Don [McGregor] and company did it in only 17-story pages per issue.

Maybe I'll storytime some of it some time.

>google Don McGregor
>get a picture of McDuffie
Every time.

Panther is so good at keeping this ornery lady calm

The 70's was Marvel's best era.

Agree or disagree?

The 80's were better.

I'm partial to mid-80's because of Gruenwald Cap, Simonson Thor and Michellinie Iron Man, but the amount of boundary pushing in the 70's is undeniable.

70's was also before obnoxious crossover events.

Everyone shits on this costume but hey, I love it.

How's the hurricane situation?

No political commentary here. Nope.

How I think of it is that the 70's were when Marvel was putting out the more experimental arcs and characters and the eighties were when the stories were at their peak. Hell, even Howard the Duck comics from the 70's are worth reading for what they have to say, rather than the story they're telling. In I think issue 16, Gerber just wrote an essay about writing because he had missed deadline twice.

Basically, you read Starlin's Warlock for the philosophies he presents. You read Kraven's Last Hunt because it's a damned good story.

I'm guessing you also like Dick's Disco costume.

I'm in DFW so not affected, but I have family and friends in Houston who I hope decide to get out for the weekend.

Very well-put, agreed 100%.

Yes I do

Gruenwald's Cap is full of moral challenges for Steve like this one, and it's what I love most about it.

S. Buscema can really channel Kirby sometimes.

I actually read Roy Thomas's Warlock run recently and that guy doesn't get enough credit. He was just as good at writing that character as Starlin is.

I'm a big Roy Thomas fan myself. He wasn't as experimental as the others, of course, but he could tell a damn good story, understood character voices really well, and had a huge imagination.

>Civil War.jpg

Dead on.

And thanks for storytiming, man, I love this arc.

>Are you ready for Moonstone Comics?
Yes, but not this Moonstone.

Any time, user.

Man that is some Adam West Batman logic right there

I'm loving Gruenwald's arc of, as Nomad puts it, "The Captain and his Super Hero Road Show" with the five of them traveling around the US like this.

Banshee just does not look human here.

He's not human, he's mutant :^)

I'm guessing you missed the early days of the great X-men storytime because he used to look like a literal leprechaun when he first debuted, pipe and all.

Touché

Rightclops appears!

I never recovered from hearing him speak in the 90's cartoon to be honest. As an Irishman, it hurts that that's what they thought he would genuinely sound like.