Hypercrisis Thread

All fictional multiverses are connected through Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion.

Alan Moore and Grant Morrison have both cited Moorcock as an influence. Alan Moore once mentioned that when he created Marvel's full-on multiverse cosmology, he was inspired by Moorcock's multiverse idea.

Elric has appeared in both Marvel and DC comic books, as well as in the Conan comics.

Moorcock wrote a Doctor Who novel that basically makes the Doctor an aspect of the Eternal Champion too. The Doctor in turn has appeared in The Simpsons, Futurama, and The Venture Bros. In an episode of Young Justice, the TARDIS is basically depicted, though used as one end for a Zeta beam conduit.

The Elric saga is also the origin of the 8-pointed star chaos symbol used by chaos magicians (like Grant Morrison) as well as by the worshipers of Chaos in the 40k universe.

In A Song of Ice and Fire, there's this line:

"How long the darkness endured no man can say, but all agree that it was only when a great warrior - known variously as Hyrkoon the Hero, Azor Ahai, Yin Tar, Neferion and Eldric Shadowchaser -- arose to give courage to the race of men and lead virtuous into battle with his blazing sword Lightbringer"

Eldric Shadowchaser --> Elric
Lightbringer --> Stormbringer

Not to mention that Hyrkoon is literally one letter off from Yrkoon, Elric's cousin.

And in season 3 of Game of Thrones when Joffrey is asking the crowd what he should name is sword, the first response is "Stormbringer!"

tl;dr Moorcock started hypercrisis

Yeah, but fanboys will still deny it and claim Morrison never stole anything from Moorcock.
>Great taste in TVs, man.

All writing is re-appropriation and re-contextualizing.

The Shadow beyond Ashai. The place where Dragons first came from, is the ruins of Melnibone and the remnants of the Young Kingdoms
Valyria was a vassal state of the Bright Empire.

Stormbringer coming.

See? Told ya.

Get HYPE.
I'm OP, saying they shouldn't be upset that Morrison borrowed from Moorcock because everyone does it.

>I'm OP, saying they shouldn't be upset that Morrison borrowed from Moorcock because everyone does it.

Even Moorcock?

Adam Warlock is also Elric by way of Hawkmoon.

I meant everyone borrows from someone. Elric is inverse-Conan, by Moorcock's own statement.
Hawkmoon is still on my to-read list. Probably going to read Erekosë first.

Also Cynosure from Grimjack.

There is no hypercrisis. It was reformatted in final crisis and 7 soilders.

Jurgens was doing the meta narrative of time and space before Morrison.

And Moorcock was doing it before either.

So, has Moorcock had a bigger effect on pop culture than Tolkien?

>Tolkien gave us some fantasy cliches
>Moorcock gave us D&D alignment, the multiverse as it exists in both Marvel and DC, true antiheroes in fantasy, at least helped popularize the concept of the same hero born again and again in different times and places when he's needed (which LoZ uses), an iconic character who is still used in things on occasion and who may get a movie in the next couple years, inspired ASOIAF and thus Game of Thrones, is listed as an inspiration by Grant Morrison, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman, collaborated with Blue Oyster Cult, the and title of the White Wolf game company

hypercrisis is a way of life

>There is no hypercrisis. It was reformatted in final crisis and 7 soilders.
Read this until it makes sense.

>So, has Moorcock had a bigger effect on pop culture than Tolkien?
Yes. Without question. It's such a shame normies don't give the man the recognition he deserves.

All I'm getting out of this is boobie spiders.

Tolkien is okay but he isn't someone you want to base your creative endeavors on.

Neil Gaiman himself, specifically said that Stormbringer is in his top three most important books of all time.

>>Moorcock wrote a Doctor Who novel that basically makes the Doctor an aspect of the Eternal Champion too.
The Doctor is canonically part of the Marvel Multiverse(just ask Death's Head)

And that's a fine thing, but there's so much more.

Dream from Sandman is an avatar of the Eternal Champion and may in fact, BE Elric.

This is actual canon and was once hinted at by Gaiman himself..
How's that for Hypercrisis?

by the way, how do we link Wally's new Zoom powers to the Hypercrisis? Him being so liked he become "timeless" in the readers's perception which caused him to run so fast he outran his own retcon and got time-related powers?

Maybe the timelessness represents him as a "symbol". He represents the feelings of "love" in the DCU (this is a huge theme in rebirth). Or at least DC reclaiming the "love" of their older fans by establishing older cannon, Black Canary and Green Arrow for starters.

He is the last emperor of an empire that shrank until all that remained was the City of Dreams.

Where's the hint, by the way?

And why would Elric's hair suddenly be black instead of white?

>Where's the hint, by the way?
Was a very old interview and was only mentioned in passing.

>And why would Elric's hair suddenly be black instead of white?
Same reason why Corum has blonde hair even though he's an aspect of the EC like Elric.
Also, this

it might also be a representation of the fact he's now back with the Titans, so he's "frozen" in character-development time because the Titans shenanigans.

Can we have a hypercrisis reading list and if some kind anons would provide it, a mega?

Start with Gilgamesh.

Elric is also the ultimate hero.

>physically weak, reliant on sorcery to stay alive, much less move around and fight
>becomes slave to the most powerful Lord of Chaos around
>emperor of a people who seldom feel any love or compassion, and only learns about such things himself through books
>wields a soul-eating sword possessed by a demon who may be even more powerful than his boss
>still manages to push things in the opposite direction by sheer refusal to be a pawn
>in the end the sword turns on/abandons him, commenting "you were always far less evil than I"
>this is his victory

>I was a thousand times more evil than thou.
CAUSE IN THE END IT'S THE STEEL VERSUS STEEL.

The epic or...

Yes. That's the start of the Hypercrisis.

I've been reading old Warlock stuff and building up some ideas on the basis of his likeness to Ultra Comics. I was gonna start a thread of my own but if it's not a derailment, might I be indulged?

I've been noticing the number 52 a lot in my life. I've also become convinced that I'm a chaos magician now. Is that a good start?

Follow your dreams

I remember when this board and these threads weren't run by the Gentry.

I was watching the Joe Rogan Experience last night when he had Sean Carroll on. Carroll's a quantum physicist and he touched on some stuff that I thought was very interesting and could be important to a Hypercrisis thread, especially toward the DC Multiverse.

Okay, so, I'm probably gonna butcher this so if any actual physics people can elaborate, feel free. Basically, If you've got a multiverse, each of the universes in that multiverse have a finite mass. The space around each universe therefore has to cancel out the mass of the universe itself. This in effect makes the universe's total mass equal to zero (this is the part I'm probably butchering). So, essentially if you can create a universe, it's very easy to make more because it expends zero energy to do so.

Sure, why not?
Why is respecting Moorcock's role a Gentry thing?

Nope. Read.

So? "Hypercrisis" as a term has been adapted to refer to any/all of the rest of the things in that image.

The image you're responding to is all about how the original term "Hypercrisis" has been co-opted to serve a new purpose.

Obviously, the answer is to partake in all of those stories mentioned (Final Crisis, Seven Soldiers, All-Star Superman, and 52) and indulge yourself until you have no choice but to create.

If Warlock is Elric by way of Hawkmoon then is Ultra Comics Elric by way of Warlock?

Does /hypercrisis/ like Philip Sandifer's Last War in Albion?

Is Hellboy an aspect of the Eternal Champion?

>fighting against the forces of Chaos to maintain balance in the universe
>has a weapon (his hand) that allegedly will bring about the end of everything

Beta Ray Bill's hammer is called Stormbreaker. BRB was also created by the artist who drew the Elric miniseries.

Considering Mignola directly refetenced Corum, Elric and Moorcock as inspirations for Hellboy the answer is yes