What is it about Green Lantern that prevents him from becomming really popular?

What is it about Green Lantern that prevents him from becomming really popular?
I'm talking becoming Batman, Flash, Superman, Wonder Woman popular.

It feels like GL is always one step short despite having interesting powers, good lore and some good comics.

Fuck that, let's do something else.

regular Hal Jordan , Hal Jordan with Parallax's powers, regular Kyle, white Kyle, Stewart, Guy Gardner, Alan Scott, Full-starheart-making-a-magic-city on the moon Alan Scott and the two current idiots.

Rank their power for me, Sup Forums.

In cereal lord era he was more popular than the rest (besides batgod)

Hal Parallax > White Kyle > Ion kyle > Full starheart Alan > regular hal > guy > John > regular kyle > baz > jessica

The only thing that stopped GL from permanently moving up in stature was the lack of a cohesive narrative direction following John's run.

Where's regular alan?

Alan Scott tier:
Alan Scott

Master Builder, Opener of Doors Messiah Tier:
Stewart

Vuldarian Messiah tier:
Guy

White Lantern Messiah Tier:
Kyle

Not a Messiah tier:
Hal Jordan

I don't remember their names tier:

>What is it about Green Lantern that prevents him from becomming really popular?

Bad luck
>bad movie
>good show canceled for the wrong reasons
>underwhelming animated movies
>no games

You need a good show, movie or game to really take off.

>supposed to be a space cop
>DC does everything it can to stop the GLs from doing cop shit
YEAH, OP. CANT IMAGINE WHAT WENT WRONG THERE.

Yes I mad. Suck my dick.

That's what happens when GL is stuck on earth. He's relegated to being Bats or Supes sidekick.

The mythos behind Green Lantern is far more extensive and wild than most of the other major heroes. The characters range from an angry cat to a planet Green Lantern. A lot of this requires extensive reading, since DC hasn't done itself any favors in trying to make it more cohesive and less scattered.

Normalfags can't into the weird sci-fi concepts I guess? The willpower + power ring+ Guardians and all that may be a bit esoteric for the average person. Others are comparatively simple in this way

Bleez is best Lantern.

Hal's earth adventures are much more interesting than "New Emotion related villain" for the 5th time after Johns came on board. At least some of his old rogues like Sonar and Doc Polaris got some fairly good modern updates and I wish we could get some more like that. Evil Star could really use a revamp as he hasn't been around in close to 20 years.

Literally nothing except there not being a good movie about him.

That's all that's standing between ANY comics character and popularity. Even the most popular superheroes have little to no pop cultural presence until they get a popular movie.

Step 1: Remove Venditti. Seriously, who is he blackmailing?

Step 2: Do literally COPS in space. Anthology series, each story has a different GL on the beat.

Step 3: Profit.

ANTHOLOGY BOOKS DO NOT SELL IN THE AMERICAN COMICS MARKET

Everyone says this, and never provide the numbers to back it up. It's like when video game publishers insisted that survival horror didn't sell, or single player games were dying. Provide proof, or shut the fuck up.

Hell, when was the last time anyone even tried to do an anthology comic? Maybe stop obsessively shilling Call of Batman at the expense of everything else for once, retards.

Lack of exposure and his movie flopping hard

They have had the same writer on the main GL book since Johns left and hasn't been good. Don't get how there hasn't been a change. It's been over 4 years now.

>thread about the reasons why GL isn't a hit yet that can lead to genuine discussion
>FUCK THAT LOL RANK THESE POWER LEVELS FOR ME

Sup Forums is reaching Sup Forums levels of bad

this is such bullshit, as if people won't like a series they can pick up and read anytime

Hal Jordan being a shit character

The fucking boring negro was a better character and is more fondly remembered and he got what? A single cartoon? Versus all the push Hal keeps getting.

Only johns made him sell good. And the emotional related villians and corps.

Flash doesn't need johns to sell. Green lantern has always been nearly axed in other periods. Either need Kyle or backup.

Barrys actually replacing wondy in merch and succeeding.

Johns tried replacing wondy with Hal. Doesn't work.

In my opinion it's because there are too many Green Lanterns. I don't mean in the sense of the Green Lantern Corp, I mean in the sense of which Green Lantern is the "main" Green Lantern.

If you're a Hal fan then you're not necessarily going to want to read a Kyle book; if you're a Kyle fan you're not necessarily going to want to read a John Steward book; etc. Sure one can make claims of "character fags are cancer" but when it really comes down to it people who are buying monthlies which have no end in sight (of which Green Lantern is one) are buying them because of the character. Artists and writers come and go, but the characters remain... Unless you're buying a Green Lantern book in which case you can't really know which Lantern you're getting six months down the road.

Also, I think a big reason why The Flash has become more popular is because they've gone back to Barry being the main Flash which tightens up Flash as a character.

Interesting enemies, stop the obsession with infighting amongst all the lantern cores, noone cares anymore god damnit. I hate that shit so much. It also tries so hard to be about the "mythos" of the green lanterns and always ends up being about that, its boring as fuck. I want more interesting enemies. There doesn't feel like theres anything special in the green lantern stories. A hero is only as good as the stories he's put in and the enemies he fights. Flash has reverse flash, Batman has joker and moral dilemmas, superman has many interesting villians and moral dilemmas, wonderwoman is fap/teen bait.

The scale of the green lanterns problems don't magically make it great. The lack of a good villian and the obsession with making the series ultimately about the mythos of the powers instead of the hero and his stories makes it lack luster and when it gets too deep into mythos bullshit a lot of normies tune out. Mythos is nice but it shouldn't be the focus of the series.

He doesn't have a good movie, game, cartoon or particularly 'really' well-noted comic book run or original comic story that stands out. I mean, there's a reason the public think John Stewart is the main GL

Because there's not a definitive Green Lantern like there is a definitive Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. And there are multiple working at once

Fuck off, don't derail a thread because you don't know how to contribute like a normal human.

He's had an incredibly great cartoon, and some of his best runs are considered some of DC's best comics EVER.

GTFO of here with weak ass shit

>What is it about Green Lantern that prevents him from becomming really popular?
I think it's difficult to portray his powers on screen without it looking silly. I think it can be done but the 2011 movie looked so fucking bad and ridiculous. They definitely need to find some kind of visual effect where GL constructs look cool as fuck on screen.

Legends of Tomorrow.

Why is Green Lantern suddenly a joke to casuals now? It cant be from one movie, can it? Its like in the LEGO Movie when Jonah Hill plays GL and everyone is supposed to shit on him for being lame. Is it because casuals dont understand how his powers work? Because you would think "Space Cop who could create anything" would be more popular

Do what they did with Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen. Every construct is real prop, covered in thousands of LEDs to keep the lighting correct, that is overlayed with a visual effect.

>Why is Green Lantern suddenly a joke to casuals now?

He's more of an unknown to casuals than a joke.

>GL: TAS isn't a good cartoon
>Sinestro Corps Wars and Green Lantern/Green Arrow aren't well-noted comic stories
>Johns' run isn't well-noted

You're wrong

>The fucking boring negro was a better character and is more fondly remembered and he got what? A single cartoon?

Justice League was not just "a single cartoon". For most people it was their introduction to DC as a whole to anything that wasn't Batman. This causes John to be known as THE GL despite the fact that he was crippled at the time in comics. You ever hear about John's best runs or character traits other than MUH RINES? No one actually gives a shit about him, just the fact that he was one of the original seven in the show.

This could work, I guess.

It kinda sucks though, because GL's power set is cool as fuck and one of my favorites in capes. Would anyone like to have a ring that let them fly and create whatever the hell they wanted? But people for some reason, not especially helped by the '11 movie, think it's ridiculous. Visually, DCEU movies have mostly been pretty damn good so far, so I think they'll probably do GL justice when they finally start working on GLC.

GL x Hawkgirl was best OTP

Your taste is shit and wrong.

>Evil Star could really use a revamp as he hasn't been around in close to 20 years.
apparently Venditti plans to use him

hawkgirl in the cartoon had a much better back story than the convoluted shit that is her comic book story.
Plus we get to see their relationship from the start when she helps him out in S1 when he is arrested, and they go on a fun bonding trip to rescue Superman and Martian Manhunter.

>hawkgirl in the cartoon had a much better back story than the convoluted shit that is her comic book story.
literally no

>You ever hear about John's best runs?
Mosaic gets brought up a lot. That's about it, but he does have one.

m8, better get checked for shit taste.

>Mosaic gets brought up a lot

I'm sure 3/5 times, it's probably me saying it.

Just because her backstory isn't convoluted (not true by the way), doesn't mean they make a good couple. Katma is a much better waifu for him.

Ryan Reynolds ruins everything

With his design, I really want Evil Star to be revamped into a Go Nagai protagonist that is a villain by virtue of not existing in a Go Nagai setting.

The space part. That throws off a lot of people who just aren't interested in that.

I've been a comic nerd for decades and anything space just doesn't do it for me. Loved X-men, skipped a lot of Brood/Shiar stuff. Didn't care much for stuff like Annihilation, Surfer stuff, etc.

It's the space thing.

always having shit writers

There's too many Green Lanterns. The spread of fans from the heroes dilutes the name Green Lantern.

This. We have 6 earth green lanterns now. 4 was stretching it but we have 6.

And that's ignoring the previous canons Anya, Charlie, Alan Scott and Jade. That's 10 Earth Green Lanterns right there.

It's the same problem with too many bat characters right now. With your shitty Luke Fox Harper row and Duke Thomas.

Make Baz and Jess the E2 GL and we will be good. Or you know kill off the Original 4

This. Consolidate the Green Lantern title to Alan, Hal and maybe John. Other heroes can branch off into other roles or retire

Charlie has always been a meme character though. He's off in another sector that is awful for him or dead so you can't really say he's an Earth lantern.

For fucks sake just have Hal retire. He retired pre crisis and it was no big deal. Hell he forged a ring out of his own will power so it isn't even GLC issued ring. He can still be a GL post retirement rather than remain powerless forever.

This is retarded.

Not much of an iconic villain cast, and less overall tv exposure.

Superman, Batman, and Flash have been on tv a shitload of times over the last 60 years. Green Lantern very few to almost none at all during the Superfriends era, no live anything until 09 which failed, and only a single tv series which failed.

Best GL fans got was some John Stewart in JLU. We got no lanterns in any of the live shows like Smallville or Flash.

Green Lantern was really popular in 06-11 but then went right on back to third rate shit immediately after. Now the brand is toxic and not to be included into anything. JLAction keeps on going without ever mentioning of any lantern at all. Atom get tons more live tv spots than anyone with a ring.

Tie-in appearance-wise all lanterns rate way beneath Aquaman and Atom

Because it always boils down to the same shit

>I-I-I CAN!

What is sad is that they were teasing Evil Star back in 09 too. One of the newly recruited Blue Lanterns was complaining about how Evil Star was attacking her planet but then nothing at all.

>No Kyle

He wears the Sheldon Cooper symbol all the damn time

Doesn't he have the same powers as Starman/Stargirl/Gavin?

Energy constructs are a stupid power

Green Lantern is a stupid name

Yea how many trillions of alien cultures have the concept of a lantern? Not just any lantern but a human lantern? Are you telling me every alien race has evolved to create the same lantern.

Whatever chance he had to become mainstream was killed by Johns turning him and the Corps into his own personal space opera.

>inb4 but that revitalised the character!

And? That's fine, and good on Johns. But when you turn your cape character into the funnel for your 10,000 page space fanfiction with skittles squads and all the million races it stops being casual-friendly. Lore is anathema to people who just want to read something.

You know why Star Wars is the biggest science fiction franchise of all time? Three movies. Then six movies. Now eight movies, to be nine this year. A straight line. You can just watch the films and be done with it and be a fan.

Does GL even have good comics outside of John's run?

He had a really fucking bad movie.

The spectrum was a mistake.
It should have just stayed with will and nothing else.

They should have made the other colors only exist in other universes.

There is a place between being on Earth like every other Hero they have, or Rainbow Wars. They could do all kinds of cool shit. They have an entire Universe for them. Let them bust a few system spanning drug cartell, save something from extinction, make a planet full of Marvel citizens interacting with Lanterns. The possebilities are, just as their cnostructs, limitless. That is if the wirters would have any imagination.

>he doesn't particularly 'really' well-noted comic book run or original comic story

This. So many of the main comic book heroes have that one novel or arc that even normies go on about, Batman has TDKR, Hush, Killing Joke and Knightfall and an assload of others, Superman has All Star Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, Red Son, Daredevil has Born Again, Punisher has Max, X Men have God Loves, Man Kills and the Dark Phoenix Saga, etc., most main superheroes, save for a select few, have those, Green Lantern doesn't have shit aside from "muh Johns run", comic fans might be interested in something that's purely just a consistently good series but outside of that most aren't. It's one of the things that separates the average humdrum comic hero and the icons.

Also distinctly cool powers and edge come into it too when it comes to mass appeal, which GLs don't really have for the most part.

Also lack of marketing too, the powers of a GL make them hard to put in anything that's not animated so there wouldn't be any GLs showing up in any Netflix series or in anything like Smallville or Arrow.

Star Wars literally starts in the middle of a story and several dialogue exchanges directly reference unseen internal politics.

But he is popular. Johns made him an A-Lister and Stewart was really popular in the Justice League show. GL has had two series for several years and even had a couple of others come and go during that time. And there was GLTAS. The only thing that went wrong is the movie but there's still plans for another attempt. I understand why they want to wait a bit before trying again.

Was GL really shit before John's took over? Didn't Alan Moore right GL a bit?

For the longest time Hal DID replace Diana, but so many things started to go wrong all at once and the hype train slowed to a crawl

Kyle is the Tim Drake of Green Lanterns. He was there to be the current place holder character until far more interesting people than him took over.

Case in point Jessica Cruz

Alan did, like, two or three one-shots.

May I ask you for the source of this image please?

I hate you.

Green lantern Mosaic I think.
Be careful it contains the worst john stewart uniform

This

Everyone who disagrees is Geoff Johns

For years I legitimately did not know that this was a real character that actually existed. I thought it was some random thing invented for Big Bang Theory that Sheldon would be a fanboy of.

Since shows like that tend to always invent the fan media the characters are into anyway. And the lantern symbol is so simplistic that it makes for a perfect fake hero symbol on a sitcom.

How many more people see the Lantern logo and only assume it is a Sheldon Cooper thing?

Still more fondly remembered than Hal Jordan by mainstream audiences, which was my point even if said cartoon was a big deal.

Imagine if they pushed said character as hard as Hal.

>Hal
His entire life is a compendium of suffering
>Kyle
Girlfriends get fridged or cuck him
>John
When's he's not an invalid he's accidentally blowing up planets or mourning his dead wife
>Guy
Guy's life is actually kind of ok

>The comics
Had an amazing run that saw GL at the top of the comic world until the run petered out
>The movie
Fucking sucked dick
>The cartoon
Was amazing and then canceled for bullshit reasons

Why is everything GL suffering, bros

Because for a technically A-lister GL has had shit comics that aren't Johns and even then Johns run always ALWAYS had hate threads and complaints.

Fuck man marvels carbon Green Lantern copy Quasar had a better fun run than GL and that only went through one guy.